2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How old is too old? Irons Edition

R5Two

3 hours ago, Port and Starboard said:

The Muirfield's were really nice. 

It's a shame that McGregor went down hill slowly afterwards.

Muirfields were actually my very first set of irons way back in like '86 or '87. My dad got them for me and had 'em cut down because I insisted I *HAD* to have "Jack Nicklaus' clubs!"

Couple months back I was randomly browsing eBay and spent a little over $100 for 2-PW - really just for nostalgia. They sat around for a bit till a spark of inspiration around club building hit me; so I pulled the shafts and shipped the heads off to Doug Oughton (who I learned about from this site) to get restored. 

Got a thread going for the project in the old guys' forum but it hasn't been all that active since I'm just waiting for them to get back to me. Shipped them off towards the end of December so I imagine I'll have them back before too terribly long. 

Doubt I'll be giving up my T-Dubs but ... that WOULD be a pretty cool bag. 🙂

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

These came back into play mid summer. Think they will stay around next season, too.

Not sure if they are considered old/modern or classic. 

They feel good and inspire me. 

20220113_212938~5.jpg

• Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I've just built a set of Wilson Fi5 irons with PX LS 6.0 and ionic grips because I love the shape of the had compared to most new iron models. 

They have some wear but nothing to affect the face. Quite excited to use these long term.

I can't see any reason why these aren't as good as any other small CB or blade irons as long as the spec is right.

• Like 2

If you're a digger and/or tend to hit a lot of fat shots you probably like the modern stuff more but that's about the only change in irons in the last 10-15 years. The grinds have gotten more forgiving and definitely let you get a bit more sloppy with delivery. Speaking on average.

Now long irons (what's a long iron? if you've ever thought about replacing it with a hybrid its a long iron) I'd lump into their own category and the modern stuff is helpful. With lower/deeper CGs for any given swing you get more height and carry. For most golfers who don't play in Scotland this is good. Not saying there were zero 4 irons from 2000 that could do the job well but there are a lot more today. 

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

I can only compare two sets I own. Ping IIIA from around 1977 and Mizuno Mx 17 from 2006. Pings are still easy to hit in short to mid iron, Mizuno are easier to launch in 3,4,5 iron. Cant compare to modern stuff tho, but I really like both .Gotta admit over the winter I struggle in very soft, muddy conditions with fat shots. But I guess thats more swing issue. Also doubt I will have money to spend on newer clubs in near future so these irons are staying.

24 minutes ago, mtg said:

If you're a digger and/or tend to hit a lot of fat shots you probably like the modern stuff more but that's about the only change in irons in the last 10-15 years. The grinds have gotten more forgiving and definitely let you get a bit more sloppy with delivery. Speaking on average.

I know you're making a generalization, but I feel obliged to chime in to say you can go farther back than that 10-15 years.  There are a lot of examples of better soles around 2000, maybe even the mid to late 90s, with the Maxfli Revolutions and MP33s being two very notable sets.

The 5* and up progressive bounce in the MP37s of 2005 also existed in the MS11/MP11, 15 years earlier.  And, almost forgot about the Hogan Apex, they've always had considerable bounce, progressively increasing thru the set.  These were the influence for the bounce in Tiger's irons.

You *do* have to pick your spots a bit as you move back in the years, but its not the needle-in-haystack search it's sometimes assumed to be.

Side note:  A fellow golf forumite was so impressed by the MP33 sole he took a set of FG51s and had Joe Kwok grind them such that the sole was close to the 33s.

Edited by NRJyzr
Woo! autocorrect!
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Still gaming my Titleist 716CB:s and I have no thoughts on changing in the near future. I keep them in mint condition, continuesly whipe off dirt after every shot and give them a proper clean every week incl. the grips every 2nd week during the season. Replace all my grips every 2nd season. As long as you get on well with the shafts in your irons and you look after them, treat them like your instruments for scoring, there's little room for great improvement changing your irons. Make sure you have good grips, check your loft and lie, get your average numbers, adjust for any irregular gapping and go out and have fun! 🙂

• Like 1

Driver: TSi3 9 • Ventus  Blue 6X SST-Pured 

3W: TSi2 15 • Graphite Design Tour AD Di ”Black” 7X SST-Pured

7W: TSi2 21 • Graphite Design Tour AD Di ”Black” 7X SST-Pured

2i: 718 T-MB • Graphite Design Tour AD Di 95X

4i - 5i: 718 T-MB • Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 130S

6i - 9i: 716 CB • Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 130S

W46, 50, 54, 60: Vokey SM8 • Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 130S

Putter: ODYSSEY White Hot Pro #7 / 33,5”

Shoes: FootJoy ICON & Pro-SL

Glove: Titleist Perma Soft (M/L) Ball: Titleist Pro V1 (2021)

On 1/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, drumdude96 said:

Just because a set of irons was made before 2010 doesn't mean the grooves are non-conforming.  I play MP 30's and it's not an issue because Mizuno has never made a set with the non-conforming grooves.  I don't know about Titleist, but it's at least worth checking into.

I just want to clarify this, because by chance I was looking at an official Japanese Mizuno site last night that slightly contradicts this. I need to find the link.

Anyway, according to the site, all the MP lines are conforming EXCEPT the MP27. However, many of the MX* models and some of the TZoids are non-conforming, but some are OK.

*MX might have been a JDM designation

I picked up a set of used raw Bridgestone J15CB irons from a buddy more for a backup "fun" set with a bit of nostalgia.  First round out on the course and I post my lowest round ever and missed a hole in one by a couple of inches.  They're now my everyday gamers in the bag.  Feel/sound, performance, consistent distances and turf interaction is incredible.  It's easy to get swept up in the sexiness of all this new stuff being hyped by major OEM's but there's a lot of really good stuff that has been out there for a few years (or more) that is just as good.

2 hours ago, jsmcdon said:

Every year my mind ponders old becu ping irons and then the thought of potentially losing yardage tells me no....

How would you be losing yardage?  A 36* club is a 36* club, regardless of the number on the sole...

• Like 4

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 minutes ago, boggyman said:

I love it when someone in our group asked what I hit…. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 my lofts are old school. 

I wish I had a pic of the look on one guy's face when I told him what I'd hit.  I'd played a fair bit of golf with him, so he was used to hearing what clubs from what distances when he'd ask....    that day, I'd put my 1980 Golden Rams in the bag; they have very weak lofts (1960s 52* PW).  You'd have thought I'd grown an extra couple arms, the way he reacted.  LOL

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I wish I had a pic of the look on one guy's face when I told him what I'd hit.  I'd played a fair bit of golf with him, so he was used to hearing what clubs from what distances when he'd ask....    that day, I'd put my 1980 Golden Rams in the bag; they have very weak lofts (1960s 52* PW).  You'd have thought I'd grown an extra couple arms, the way he reacted.  LOL

It’s amusing beings I bag the 17s on a very regular basis!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chip2win said:

I recently "found" a set of MP 68's in the garage and couldn't believe how great they felt.  I can't remember why I stopped using them.  Only problem was 1 degree weaker loft than the current line.  So do I pay $1,000 for the MP 20's just to get 1 degree?  Of course!  Unfortunately, I couldn't be more disappointed.  Despite the copper underlay or whatever such BS they are trying to push, the MP 68's feel wayyyyy better.  Stick with what works, regardless of age.

I have a full set of the 68s and 20s. The 68s are in the bag. 

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

9 hours ago, Northandleft said:

Here is my thought…shafts get old. A 15 year old set that had old standard shafts

(add another 15 years of old tech) and you don’t seem to have the new feel or pop. Thought about reshafting  my old hogan apex pros. Anyone else do this?

I just sent the 695s in for new shafts. That is my thinking. I have some old Hogan PCs and the shafts are pinned which woukd be harder but I would imagine as long as the swingweight stays consistant it should be good! 

I learned to play golf with mb irons and played with Apex blades for more than a decade(90's). Kids reduced my rounds to the point I couldn't hit my blades with any consistency. Ping IsI was my go to until retirement last summer. Well after mid season out came the Apex Irons. I had forgotten how sweet it was to pure shots..... I had to retire the set in Sept after the 5 iron head left the shaft....rust..

Just brought home a new used Titleist T 100 set. 

I'm looking forward to this next season.    Live for blades🙂

9 hours ago, jsj54 said:

I have been thinking about going back to my Srixon i506 irons. They are stiffer and heavier than my Ping G425 graphite shafted Pings. I hit them higher and just about as far. The feel is still great. Going to give them some playing time. 

I still have a set of I506's and love them but they didn't win when I did my own shootout compared to other irons I own. I'll probably still keep them regardless, just reshaft them or something

Very happy with my Ping i3 iron set. Hard to believe they turn 23 years old this year. I plan to keep them as a backup set when the replacement G425s arrive.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 9.0° | Bridgestone Tour B JGR 7w

PING G425 Crossover 2i

PING G425 4i-9i

PING Glide 3.0 46, 50, 54 Eye 2, 58.6 | Mizuno OMOI 02