2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Laser eye surgery for golf

Trap Junior

I am considering getting laser eye surgery to help my golf as my eyesight is quite poor for tracking the flight of the ball.  I cant see the flight of the ball when I hit my driver.  Frequently I see none of the flight at all.  Had my initial consultation today and the optometrist said my eyes are too dry curently to have surgery and that I will have to do 4 weeks treatment and then have another consultation before I am eligible.  If it doesnt improve I cant have surgery.

Anyway my question is I assumed my depth perception would be the same and everythign would appear normal except sha0pr and less blurry.  The optometrist seemed to suggest I may not like the depth perception once done.

Anyone any experience of this and did it mess up your depth perception?  Even if eligible I am now having doubts.

One of my cousin's had Lasik done and he says that he should've done it sooner.  Says his depth perception is so much better and he can see objects in the back round with much more clarity and sharpness.  His putting has improved quite a bit post surgery and he attributes this to being able to read greens better. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

33 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Get a 2nd opinion from someone that actually does laser surgeries or an ophthalmologist not an optometrist

This. An optometrist is to eye surgery what a gas station clerk is to a transmission overhaul.  

• Haha 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So many questions to ask.

1) What is the nature of your eyesight issue? (nearsighted, farsighted, etc...)

2) How old are you?  Do you also have presbyopia (need glasses to read)?

3) Do you currently wear glasses?  What is the prescription?  What level of vision do you correct to?

4) Do you have any eye disease? (glaucoma, macular degeneration, dry eyes (yes), etc...)

Depth perception is usually a consequence of good corrected vision in both eyes.  If only one eye is well correction for distance vision then you could have depth perception issues at longer distances.  You ophthalmologist should be able to tell you all these things about your eyes if you don't currently know.  Ask because it gives you valuable information to help you make informed decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

So many questions to ask.

1) What is the nature of your eyesight issue? (nearsighted, farsighted, etc...)

2) How old are you?  Do you also have presbyopia (need glasses to read)?

3) Do you currently wear glasses?  What is the prescription?  What level of vision do you correct to?

4) Do you have any eye disease? (glaucoma, macular degeneration, dry eyes (yes), etc...)

Depth perception is usually a consequence of good corrected vision in both eyes.  If only one eye is well correction for distance vision then you could have depth perception issues at longer distances.  You ophthalmologist should be able to tell you all these things about your eyes if you don't currently know.  Ask because it gives you valuable information to help you make informed decisions. 

I can see things upp close but things far away are blurry.  I can see the ball take off with the driver and halfway into the flight cant see it anymore.

Writing up close is fine but more that a yard or two away becomes blurry.

My local driving range has a 50 and 100 yds signs.  I cant read them.  I'm 40 now

4 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

I can see things upp close but things far away are blurry.  I can see the ball take off with the driver and halfway into the flight cant see it anymore.

My local driving range has a 50 and 100 yds signs.  I cant read them.  I'm 40 now

Sounds like you are nearsighted.  Do you wear glasses?  Why not?

4 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

Right:  sph      cyl       axis

-1.75     -0.75    137

Left:  -1.00     -1.00     52

I havent a clue what this means

That means you should be wearing them to drive lol. It also means you will have a lot of trouble tracking the ball without them. Putting in contacts is not difficult 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Find out who is the best ophthalmologist in your area is and go see him/her.  

And fwiw: Younshould be wearing UV protection anyway if you are playing much golf.  Clear glass can be treated with UV protection just like sunglasses; the tint in sunglasses is about light and glare reduction, NOT UVrotection.  If your prescription is mild anyway, and there is hesitation about laser surgery, get some really good glasses that are HD/HI with semi-rimless frames; they are so light weight you’ll barely know you have them on, and you’ll solving several problems at once.

This is coming from a 69 yr old who has spent his life outside, mostly without UV protection.  In the last 3 years, I’ve had 7 separate procedures on my right eye, which is now irreparably damaged as a result, plus some glaucoma and some macular degeneration.  

I had lasik surgery 22 years ago, and it was great for about 15 years, but I should have been protecting my eyes all along anyway. If you think your depth perception is bad now, keep playing golf without UV protection and you’ll find out what bad depth perception and not being able to follow a golf ball is all about.

Edited by bluedot
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

I'm the same.  I got Lasik at 37.  One of the best moves I've made.  20+ years of contacts was enough.  

With that being said - what you see with prescription glasses or contacts, is what you will see with Lasik surgery.  They get you to 20/20 vision.  In terms of depth perception, etc.  I didn't notice anything different than when I had my contacts in.  

The only negative of Lasik is Halos at night with the lights.  That definitely got a little worse than it previously was with my Astigmatism.  

But Lasik has been great for me.  It had no effect on my golf game, as I was wearing contacts and already seeing 20/20.  

I had lasik last year at 49 because could not track ball. It has been the best decision I’ve made. I do have to wear readers now but that’s mainly from age. I can see the ball better, read the greens better and have zero negatives. Depth perception not an issue. I have no haloing and am at 20/15 now. Kind of a miracle. 

Edited by Forged4life
  • Like 3

Purely anecdotal, but I had lasik at 29 years old (34 now) and it was life changing as everyone will tell you, but I perceive my ability to track a ball in flight to be much lower than those I play with. It's not uncommon for me to straight up lose a ball entirely if I play alone due to not being able to see the ball well. I just picked golf back up, so I can't say what it was like before the surgery.

1 hour ago, Trap Junior said:

-1.75     -0.75    137

Absolutely you need them for driving and all activities.  I'm only -1.50 in both eyes (slight astigmatism) and there is no way I would consider playing golf (or any other sport) without my vision corrected.   

Wouldn't even put the key into the ignition without either my contacts in or wearing my glasses.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

2 hours ago, Trap Junior said:

-1.75     -0.75    137

2 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Strangely enough, I do.

I don't find that strange AT ALL. :classic_laugh:

I don't know what those numbers mean BUT, if the OP can't read the 50 yard sign at the driving range, assuming the numbers are a reasonable size, he NEEDS glasses to drive.

OP, a lot of good advice here and yes, you DO need to see an ophthalmologist.

Assuming the dry eye problem doesn't kill the Lasik idea, by all means get the Lasik.

Wore glasses all my life. Got the Lasik and it was like a new world. I still needed reading glasses (as you likely will in a few years) as the issues for nearsightedness and reading are different but still,,,,,

And as @bluedot (hope you make more progress) noted you should be wearing UV protection pretty much all the time outside.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

This. An optometrist is to eye surgery what a gas station clerk is to a transmission overhaul.  

Or a scratch golfer to the WHS. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Strangely enough, I do.

The "sph" stands for sphere.  It is the power or focal correction.  The "cyl" stands for cylinder.  This is your astigmatism error.  Astigmatism error is directional.  The axis gives the alignment angle of the astigmatic error.  You should wear your glasses for driving, however based on statistics of surgery outcomes, you should get good correction if you are otherwise a good candidate for one of the refractive corrective surgeries (LASIK, PRK, etc...).  Dry eyes are a concern because the refractive surgeries cause dry eyes during the healing process and is sometimes a persistent side effect long term.  You don't want to start with dry eyes then exacerbate the problem.  It will likely interfere with the healing process.

Now since you are 40 and don't have severe nearsightedness (the negative sign on the sphere) you will eventually need reading glasses.  This will probably occur in the next 5 - 10 years unless you are very lucky.  It could happen sooner, but depends on genetics.  Hope this helps.

@Trap Junior I forgot to mention that the sphere and cylinder numbers are in diopters.  I have been told that 1.0 diopter of sphere correction roughly means your vision is 20/100.  Assuming that is true, your vision in the right eye is roughly 20/175 and in your left eye is around 20/100.  The cylinder error doesn't make things blurry, but does change the aspect ratio of objects (squares look like rectangles, circles look like ellipses, etc...).

Thanks. I have a set of glasses ordered for driving.  Will take another week or so.  Next appointment is in 3 weeks for the laser.  Doing daily heat patches on eyes and drinking more water and omega 3.

If that doesnt go well I might get some prescription Oakleys or something.

About the UV light. Are we supposed to wear sunglasses all the time outside?

3 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

Thanks. I have a set of glasses ordered for driving.  Will take another week or so.  Next appointment is in 3 weeks for the laser.  Doing daily heat patches on eyes and drinking more water and omega 3.

Yes, ideally.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

They don't need to be sunglasses, most standard eye glasses block most UV rays due to the lens material itself. FWIW I got PRK and became super light sensitive that I always needed sunglasses outside. It degraded just a tad, enough to annoy me that I couldn't track all 350 yards of my thunderous ball flight, so I now wear very fancy oakley RX glasses. They actually transmit most visible light so I can still wear them in low light conditions, but they are polarized/reflective with some special filtering that makes picking up the ball even easier.

1 minute ago, Krt22 said:

They don't need to be sunglasses, most standard eye glasses block most UV rays due to the lens material itself. FWIW I got PRK and became super light sensitive that I always needed sunglasses outside. It degraded just a tad, enough to annoy me that I couldn't track all 350 yards of my thunderous ball flight, so I now wear very fancy oakley RX glasses. They actually transmit most visible light so I can still wear them in low light conditions, but they are polarized/reflective with some special filtering that makes picking up the ball even easier.

So the light sensitivity was permanent for you?

2 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

So the light sensitivity was permanent for you?

For the most part yes, it's not as bad as it used to be, but I still wear sunglasses 99% of the time if it's sunny. It could also be partially due to always wearing glasses before PRK  (which had some UV blocking built in)

Edited by Krt22

3 hours ago, Trap Junior said:

only sometimes when driving.  Could never put in contacts and dont want the hassle either.  Tried playing in glasses and it was awful.

Should be always while driving based on what you say you can and can’t see! 

Talk to an actual doctor - “company” sounds like GM will be doing it. 

Didn’t catch all above - why no contacts? I’ve been wearing soft lenses since they were pretty much first available in the U.S. but now just wear them to golf. Don’t really need them to drive, but it is nicer with corrected vision because one eye is weaker but overall prescription in both is better. Glasses driving at night always. My vision has improved with age - 20/20 in my right eye now and my left is kind of my reading eye so like right now I can look at my phone and type with the left and look up at the TV with the right, lol. When I mentioned to the optometrist last summer (hadn’t seen one for 3 years) that I thought my vision was worse based on how I was perceiving road signs with contacts in she figured out quickly my vision was over corrected because it had improved!

Take care of those eyes! 

4 hours ago, wagolfer7 said:

I'm the same.  I got Lasik at 37.  One of the best moves I've made.  20+ years of contacts was enough.  

With that being said - what you see with prescription glasses or contacts, is what you will see with Lasik surgery.  They get you to 20/20 vision.  In terms of depth perception, etc.  I didn't notice anything different than when I had my contacts in.  

The only negative of Lasik is Halos at night with the lights.  That definitely got a little worse than it previously was with my Astigmatism.  

But Lasik has been great for me.  It had no effect on my golf game, as I was wearing contacts and already seeing 20/20.  

Similar experience without the night time halos.  I literally saw the halos for about a week before they started fading and a month later all gone.

17 years later and my doctor is very impressed by the quality of Lasik I received and the eyes are very healthy.

Still going strong on the golf course and spend far much time telling the others in my foursome where they can find their ball!

Only issue now, which is just a product of older age is I need readers at night or low light situations if I'm reading small print.

10 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Similar experience without the night time halos.  I literally saw the halos for about a week before they started fading and a month later all gone.

17 years later and my doctor is very impressed by the quality of Lasik I received and the eyes are very healthy.

Still going strong on the golf course and spend far much time telling the others in my foursome where they can find their ball!

Only issue now, which is just a product of older age is I need readers at night or low light situations if I'm reading small print.

Same here - had LASIK done 9 years ago at age 43.  It was one of the best things I've ever done. I was nearsighted, -2.75 in the left eye and -2.50 in the right eye.  I wore contacts for about 20 years prior to the surgery as I hated glasses.  After the surgery I was 20/15 in the left and 20/25 in the right (my surgeon intentionally under-corrected the right eye slightly to stave off reading glasses, as I am super left-eye dominant).  Took a few weeks to get used to, but the brain adjusts. 

I had halos/rainbows for a few weeks after the procedure, but those went away.  I'm a little more sensitive to light now than I was previously, especially near water (pool/beach), but it's worth the improved vision.  Only other "issue" I've noticed is that my eyes are super sensitive to smoke from the grill or firepit - I never realized how much the contacts shielded my eyes from smoke and pollen.

My biggest advice for anyone considering LASIK is to find the best doc in your area and don't skimp out.  I was pretty hesitant to do it and put it off a few times.  I ended up going to Mass Eye and Ear in Boston and it was top notch from pre-op testing to the surgery to the follow-up plan.  It was more $ than the TLC-type places, but I think it was worth it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Should be always while driving based on what you say you can and can’t see! 

Talk to an actual doctor - “company” sounds like GM will be doing it. 

Didn’t catch all above - why no contacts? I’ve been wearing soft lenses since they were pretty much first available in the U.S. but now just wear them to golf. Don’t really need them to drive, but it is nicer with corrected vision because one eye is weaker but overall prescription in both is better. Glasses driving at night always. My vision has improved with age - 20/20 in my right eye now and my left is kind of my reading eye so like right now I can look at my phone and type with the left and look up at the TV with the right, lol. When I mentioned to the optometrist last summer (hadn’t seen one for 3 years) that I thought my vision was worse based on how I was perceiving road signs with contacts in she figured out quickly my vision was over corrected because it had improved!

Take care of those eyes! 

The bad news, if they haven't told you, your lens is hardening and changing the refraction.  The next step is likely cataracts.  Getting old is a b****.

• Like 2

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize