2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno JPX 923

thl9077

32 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I really wish one of the YouTubers would do a test showing how different spin rates react on the greens. I was watching The Average Golfer yesterday and he had a guy hitting 7 irons into a green and they had another camera on the green. One shot had 4900 rpm spin and backed up. Another shot had 6500 rpm spin and basically just hit and hopped a ft forward and stopped.

Yes!! I'd like to see the same. I think it comes down to descent angle. Even with the low lofts, if the descent angles are the same or similar to higher lofted irons, there's probably plenty of spin to stop a urethane ball on the green

21 hours ago, SagedCrusader said:

I have taylormade rac irons (2004) Burner superfast 2.0 driver (2011) and burner 3 wood also around 2011. I hit the 921s incredibly well during fitting, but since I wasn't ready to buy decided to wait for the 923s and will most likely fill out the top of the bag with titleist tsrs

I'll be testing the TSRs as well. I love my current driver but need to get a more appropriate shaft for my swing and modern tech to gain the yards I've lost over the years 

1 hour ago, MikeGman said:

I'll be testing the TSRs as well. I love my current driver but need to get a more appropriate shaft for my swing and modern tech to gain the yards I've lost over the years 

I originally settled on a a callaway rogue but then the tsr line dropped and I decided since I was waiting to go back to hit the 923s I would refit for driver, I wasn't hitting driver well so I worked on my swing and am pretty excited to try the tsr

2 hours ago, CROUSE99 said:

I just got a set of PXG Gen 5 XP's for an incredible price.  I will probably end up having to weaken the lofts but if they don't work out I might sell them and take a hard look at the JPX 923 HL.  I'm basically in the same boat as Carolina Golfer 2.  75mph 7 iron chs and I deloft too much at impact, so a low trajectory.

Yeah. I’m not looking forward to taking a huge hit on the Gen5. But I know that’s always likely with PXG resale.   I bought them shortly after release on the Lucky 7 deal.  But went with Steelfiber shafts which megsted a lot of the discount.   No worries.  They have been good.  But I have always really liked the Hot Metal line, for the price they are a top of the line club. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

On 9/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, nova6868 said:

If you want smaller gaps in the scoring irons you pretty much have to do Tours or small blend of Forged and Tour. The lofts on the Forged are just silly in the scoring irons, 5-degree gaps with 44 PW. So then you're looking at 6 or even 8 degree gap to your first wedge.

The way to do the split seems to be 4i Forged bent 1 weak to 22, 5i Forged bent 2 weak to 26, then Tours 6-PW.

That gets you 22-26-30-34-38-42-46

Or... just do 5-GW in the forged then 54 and 58/60 degree wedges. The 919 and 921 forged both had 5* between 8-9-PW as well.

But I get your perspective too. The never ending desire to hit that 7i a little further in test fittings is too strong for manufacturer's to avoid. And what's the point of "Mizuno feel" if you are going to continually engineer harder metals so you can make the faces thinner for more distance? 

On 9/23/2022 at 6:52 PM, braincramp52 said:

If Mizuno makes a LH Forged 923 I will break my oath to never own anything Mizuno and buy them. The 923 Forged looks so damn good!

In hand images were already released of a LH version, along with a LH HM Pro, so they are making most available to lefties this time around.

A nice little combo set may be in my future.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

11 hours ago, Morry said:

Question

never played Mizuno irons….

in t100/t200 combo right now

like and all. But…..

how would the jpx 933 hm pro comp to the 200 and 923 forged to the 100?

softer?

I would really like that

love to pull the trigger

thanks for views

I play T200, the 923F probably closer.

If you are T100/T200, don’t think you want HMP

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

1 hour ago, Warrick said:

I play T200, the 923F probably closer.

If you are T100/T200, don’t think you want HMP

I'd agree with this but would add a caveat that it depends on what the OP is looking for. Is it really just based on feel? For example, in my situation I'm still playing the Titleist AP2s I purchased back in 2008 but over the years my game has degraded to the point where I need more forgiveness and some added distance.  I hit a natural draw with the occasional hook... so I need a club with minimal offset and added forgiveness, but still want the feel and look I've been used to.  During my fitting sessions, the forged have been great as have the HMPs. The feel/sound is a little different, as is the look at address, but they are close enough that it's making for a tough decision.  I'm leaning toward the HM pros for the added forgiveness and distance in compromise for the difference in look/feel.

• Like 1

As great performing as my current T200 were for the last 2 seasons, the 5-6-7 were notably "clacky" sounding in impact ( especially on mishits ) , and really not stellar feel in 8-GW even on good shots.  I attribute this solely to the plastics backsides.  I played mine with Steelfiber i95cw and CP2 Wrap Jumbo grips, so I had lots of vibration absorption at my disposal.  But they were the most reliable and forgiving set I have gamed, and good looks, with low offset.  I'm hoping Titleist goes away from the plastic back-sides on the next version of T200, whenever that may be.

I just came back from hitting the 923 HMP, HM, HL.  All were great, as per previous posters, and I think the feel was pretty good.  I'll be going with HMP 5-PW with PX I/O 5.5 , and for fun I will order a JPX-923 20* hybrid with the same steel shaft.  The 923 hybrids are the same cost as a 923 iron AFAIK.

The Wilson D9 Forged is also a great option -> a very good feeling Players Distance iron.   I recently acquired a set, but no gaming them yet, only a bit of Sim time where they performer very well.  I really should keep them and make them my gamers for 2023, but kinda' am drawn to the 923's so will hitch my wagon to the Mizuno star.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 2

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Was fitted and ordered my 923 HMP today.  Just when we thought we found the right shaft, Project X LZ, the fitter had me try one more... and BAM everything a nice performance jump.  Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour was the one.  I ordered the 5-GW, but wondering if anyone has hit the 4i (in the 923 or 921) and could share their thoughts? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeGman said:

Was fitted and ordered my 923 HMP today.  Just when we thought we found the right shaft, Project X LZ, the fitter had me try one more... and BAM everything a nice performance jump.  Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour was the one.  I ordered the 5-GW, but wondering if anyone has hit the 4i (in the 923 or 921) and could share their thoughts? 

I game the 921 HMP’s.  4i isn’t that bad to hit. I mean, it’s a 4i so it’s not my favorite club to pull out, but it’s not bad. See how you hit the 5i and if you really pure it you should be fine. 

nice on the shafts! I actually had the Project X blackouts with the 921 HMP’s and recently restarted them into Nippon Modus Pro 120’s. WAY better numbers for me.  Congrats! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIRED said:

I game the 921 HMP’s.  4i isn’t that bad to hit. I mean, it’s a 4i so it’s not my favorite club to pull out, but it’s not bad. See how you hit the 5i and if you really pure it you should be fine. 

nice on the shafts! I actually had the Project X blackouts with the 921 HMP’s and recently restarted them into Nippon Modus Pro 120’s. WAY better numbers for me.  Congrats! 

Nice switch, glad it worked out for you!  For me this was my first ever fitting where we looked at several types of data.  My last fitting was 2009 and was done on a driving range (speed sensor and lie board). I've been playing the same irons ever since, original Titleist AP2's.  My game isn't what it used to be and I've moved well beyond reasonable ability (in the wrong direction) to play those irons. It was time to move into the game improvement realm.  

3 hours ago, MikeGman said:

I'm going to be getting the 4 through gap wedge and ordering a sand wedge separate, I'm a little concerned about the 4 irons 19 degree loft because I don't hit my current 3 iron very well so I though about 5 through gap.  After thinking about it I decided that if dont hit it well from the deck I can use the 4i for low punch shots and for tee shots when driver or fairways are a bad play.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SagedCrusader said:

I'm going to be getting the 4 through gap wedge and ordering a sand wedge separate, I'm a little concerned about the 4 irons 19 degree loft because I don't hit my current 3 iron very well so I though about 5 through gap.  After thinking about it I decided that if dont hit it well from the deck I can use the 4i for low punch shots and for tee shots when driver or fairways are a bad play.

I thought about that too.  Just not sure I want to use a slot in my bag for just those shots when I can probably do the same with a hybrid.  tough call...

7 hours ago, MikeGman said:

I thought about that too.  Just not sure I want to use a slot in my bag for just those shots when I can probably do the same with a hybrid.  tough call...

I dont mind using up a slot for it. Currently my bag consists od Driver, 3w, 7w, 4-pw, 60 degree and putter.   this year im removing 7w and adding a gap wedge, sand wedge, and possibly another wedge but not sure what degree yet.  Did you ever get to fit for the TSR? I did and I had massive gains over my old outdated driver.  very pleased with it

2 hours ago, SagedCrusader said:

I dont mind using up a slot for it. Currently my bag consists od Driver, 3w, 7w, 4-pw, 60 degree and putter.   this year im removing 7w and adding a gap wedge, sand wedge, and possibly another wedge but not sure what degree yet.  Did you ever get to fit for the TSR? I did and I had massive gains over my old outdated driver.  very pleased with it

Glad to hear you say that about the TSR.  I haven't been fit yet but plan to.  The fitter said the TSR would be ideal for me but to wait until January when the other brands have new models coming out so I could try them as well.  The Cobra rep came in during the conversation and said the same, and that Cobra was coming out with something new as well.

10 minutes ago, MikeGman said:

Glad to hear you say that about the TSR.  I haven't been fit yet but plan to.  The fitter said the TSR would be ideal for me but to wait until January when the other brands have new models coming out so I could try them as well.  The Cobra rep came in during the conversation and said the same, and that Cobra was coming out with something new as well.

it felt really good, ball exploded off the face

20 hours ago, SagedCrusader said:

I'm a little concerned about the 4 irons 19 degree loft

You should be, because that is a 2 iron loft. You're going to need some speed to hit a 19 degree iron. 

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

On 9/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, Morry said:

Question

never played Mizuno irons….

in t100/t200 combo right now

like and all. But…..

how would the jpx 933 hm pro comp to the 200 and 923 forged to the 100?

softer?

I would really like that

love to pull the trigger

thanks for views

I haven't yet see the 923 line in person, but I did test the T100 and T200 before grabbing the MP-223s. Really liked the T100 but concluded that the long irons would be a bit too demanding. I hated the feel and plastic badge of the T200. While an actual fitter could probably give you better guidance, I'd say they are positioning the JPX line (in relation to Titleist) as follows...

JPX Tour - T100 - JPX Forged - T200 - JPX HMP - T300 - JPX HM - T400 - JPX HL

Mizuno is known for their soft feel, but at least inferring from some of the youtube reviews, that famous feel kind of disappears once you get to the HMP. Most of the reviews said something along the lines of, "feels great, for what it is". I take that to mean, feels good for a cast & tech focused club but doesn't exactly feel like a traditional forged Mizuno. 

All that said, if you hit the T100 well, you could probably combo the JPX Tours & Forged or play the forged through the bag. You probably don't need to experiment with the HMPs unless you're struggling with the T200 long irons.  

• Like 3

Got our fitting cart and Swing Analyzer out and for myself, with our lead instructor watching just for an extra set of eyes. 

i was fitting for the shaft for the Hot Metal HL.   But funny we have the Analyzer attached to a 921 Forged head since that’s what we sell most of.  And it doesn’t really matter which head you use. It’s just reading the shaft movement.   But I was flushing the Forged.  Really felt nice.  So I may play these for 6 months until the 923 Forged are out.  Then give them a go 😬

Anyway the top three results were 

Modus Tour 105 

KBS Tour Lite 

Steelfiber 95

5F2CB24E-2E2A-4F01-B070-0B498DA03A22.jpeg.6b0575bebe4312978b32bd54cf0b6a95.jpeg

So put them in the HL head and all performed really well.  The SF had a familiar feel as I have them in my PXG. 

But in the end I didn’t feel the difference in nimbers was worth the upcharge.  So I ordered the KBS.   I had modus 105 before and liked them.   But I have always had good results with KBS.  And these new shafts are in good supply with Mizuno right now. 

We just recovers an order yesterday for a customer that we ordered for 1 week ago.  So that is promising. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 hour ago, lefty1978 said:

You should be, because that is a 2 iron loft. You're going to need some speed to hit a 19 degree iron. 

even if it gives me trouble I have a use for it so it doesn't worry me too much, I plan on spending a good amount of time on the range in the spring learning how I hit the new clubs

12 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

I haven't yet see the 923 line in person, but I did test the T100 and T200 before grabbing the MP-223s. Really liked the T100 but concluded that the long irons would be a bit too demanding. I hated the feel and plastic badge of the T200. While an actual fitter could probably give you better guidance, I'd say they are positioning the JPX line (in relation to Titleist) as follows...

JPX Tour - T100 - JPX Forged - T200 - JPX HMP - T300 - JPX HM - T400 - JPX HL

Mizuno is known for their soft feel, but at least inferring from some of the youtube reviews, that famous feel kind of disappears once you get to the HMP. Most of the reviews said something along the lines of, "feels great, for what it is". I take that to mean, feels good for a cast & tech focused club but doesn't exactly feel like a traditional forged Mizuno. 

All that said, if you hit the T100 well, you could probably combo the JPX Tours & Forged or play the forged through the bag. You probably don't need to experiment with the HMPs unless you're struggling with the T200 long irons.  

Very interesting - thank You 

if the forged are basically t200's....you are right ...could just game them 4-gw maybe

that would be ideal

since blending the forged and HMP would be a challenge at the 7 iron for example 

1 hour ago, jumpalot said:

So I'm getting older and losing some speed and I'm thinking about doing a mixed set of the 5-6 HL then 7-GW HM.  I'm wondering about the HL being considerably shorter then the HM and the gapping being off.  Anyone have any thoughts on this? TIA.

i went and got fitted yesterday (after already ordering a set based on what i assumed i needed, but thats a different story).

from my GC quad results yesterday, including sub-optimal strikes (think we only removed 1 shot per set of shots), my average carry with the 7 HM was 153 vs. 148 with the 7 HM HL. That's at 85 mph 7 iron swing speed, with mediocre ball striking yesterday. 

when im striking the ball better, i probably hit the ball a little bit farther than that on average, but probably the gap between the two still holds. i did blast one like 165 carry though with the 7 HM HL and i was like WTF. its pretty hot off the face. 

On 9/29/2022 at 8:28 AM, jumpalot said:

So I'm getting older and losing some speed and I'm thinking about doing a mixed set of the 5-6 HL then 7-GW HM.  I'm wondering about the HL being considerably shorter then the HM and the gapping being off.  Anyone have any thoughts on this? TIA.

Am thinking the same. Maybe just no 6 iron. Go HM 7(stock loft is 28.5*), then HL 5(stock loft is 25*). Gives me a little extra shaft length to help with clubhead speed. Not sure yet tho, still thinking.........

Yankees Suck