Starting from the 10th hole illegally

yesterday me and a partner had the first tee time of the day. When we arrived to the 11th hole we noticed a 4 some with 3 carts in the fairway. Turns out they just flat out decided to tee off from the 10th without permission from the clubhouse. Has this ever happened to anyone? 

Callaway Epic Max LS Mitsubishi MMT 70 X

Titleist Tsi2 3 Wood Tensei Raw White 75 S

Mizuno HMB 2 Iron Tour AD DI-95 Hybrid S

Mizuno 921 Forged 4-P DG S300

SM6 50, Project X Rifle 6.0

SM8 54, DG S200 Wedge Flex

SM7 58, DG S200 Wedge Flex

Odyssey White Hot #5

Our clubhouse will send folks who show up during busy Saturday mornings with no tee times off the back if there is the slightest gap.  I wouldn't call it "illegal" just their way of getting some more $$$ and they just can't seem to say "no".  But it can be really annoying depending on various situations for those coming up the 9th.  Good luck having any productive discussion about it!

1 hour ago, mitchnpat1 said:

yesterday me and a partner had the first tee time of the day. When we arrived to the 11th hole we noticed a 4 some with 3 carts in the fairway. Turns out they just flat out decided to tee off from the 10th without permission from the clubhouse. Has this ever happened to anyone? 

It happens.  They figure why wait for their tee time like everyone else when the back is wide open.

I only notice it when they are slow.  As long as they hustle and don't hold anyone up it's fine.  

• Like 2

It all depends on who it is.  If there is enough space between groups to jump on and if the group is grateful and understands the accommodations made for them, they'll play fast and not screw around.  If they're newbies or arrogant "I paid my money..." types, they can be a real PIA. 

I'll say it again, and again, and probably again: mandatory etiquette/rules and flow of the course should be required content with a demonstrated comprehension before anyone is allowed on the course.

• Like 3

Yep.  We turned after being first out ( 3rd group of a 4 group dogfight ) and found a group on the 10th tee waiting.  I walk up and said “ they tell yalll to go off. 10 “.  Young one pipes up and says “ yep “.  So I said “ well I just texted Cory and he said he didn’t” ( the pro at the counter ).    Old guy in the group says “ you guys want to go ahead. I said “ yep. And the 4th group of the dogfight behind us will want to too “.   They then decided to head to #1.  After saying this “ I don’t care. We just came to get outside and drink beer “. Then why the blank did you not wait and go off 1 ?  

• Haha 1

TM Stealth +  8* Kai li 60x 

TM Sim2 max tour ADHD 8x 

Titleist Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 4 iron Addi 105x 

Titleist T100 5-pw MMT 125 TX 

T100 50* edel sms 54-c 58-v  MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

4 hours ago, Mitchell said:

So how did you respond to it?

2 hours ago, Gsea said:

Be curious what you did if the clubhouse didn't send them out. Im hope the clubhouse came out and removed them

we waited for them to finish 11, then on 12 we got to our 2nd shots quickly and once they finished putting they started waving us on... once we finished 12, we arrived to 13 tee and i asked them what time they had teed off, they told me "8:45, but we started on the 10th." At this particular course i know for a fact no one ever starts on 10, so they just decided to tee off without the clubhouse's permission.  one of them asked if it was crowded when i tee'd off and i just told them that no one was there since we were the first group. very strange encounter 

Odyssey White Hot #5

2 hours ago, Gsea said:

Be curious what you did if the clubhouse didn't send them out. Im hope the clubhouse came out and removed them

there was literally one person working the course that day. i called the clubhouse on the 11th tee and asked why there was a 4 some in front of us and he told me that they did not send anyone to 10 lol. and since he was the only one working that day he couldn't drive out and send them off 

Odyssey White Hot #5

The problem with people that do this is , they’re slow and they know it. That’s why they do it.  To try not to be rushed.  They assume you’ll spend 30 minutes in the clubhouse at the turn as they do.  

• Like 2

TM Sim2 max tour ADHD 8x 

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

The problem with people that do this is , they’re slow and they know it. That’s why they do it.  To try not to be rushed.  They assume you’ll spend 30 minutes in the clubhouse at the turn as they do.  

I do it all the time and will often catch back up to the group behind with a couple friends after teeing off on 10 again… don’t over generalize.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (10 degrees)[TENSEI Av Raw White] 

Fairway woods: Titleist TSi2 (15.75 degrees), Titleist TS3 (19.5 degrees)[Diamana D+ Limited]

Irons: Taylormade p770 (4)[DG TI X100], Mizuno JPX 900 Tour (5-9)[Project X LZ 6.5]

Wedges: Vokey SM8 (47-11F, 51-13F, 55-15F, 59-7LK)[DG TI S400]

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X5

1 hour ago, ShupeSC said:

I do it all the time and will often catch back up to the group behind with a couple friends after teeing off on 10 again… don’t over generalize.

Do which ?  Jump in on 10 or spend 30 min in the clubhouse at the turn ? 

Either way it truly is dependent on if you cause someone else to wait or not.  Nobody cares if someone starts on 10 and they never see them.  But if they do this and then the group behind waits.  Even one hole. That’s inconvenient to the group behind.  Who did it correctly.  

Same for the long clubhouse stop at the turn.  If nobody waits on you to Catch up. Nobody cares.  But with todays course overcrowding I don’t see how that’s ever possible.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM Sim2 max tour ADHD 8x 

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Do which ?  Jump in on 10 or spend 30 min in the clubhouse at the turn ? 

Either way it truly is dependent on if you cause someone else to wait or not.  Nobody cares if someone starts on 10 and they never see them.  But if they do this and then the group behind waits.  Even one hole. That’s inconvenient to the group behind.  Who did it correctly.  

Same for the long clubhouse stop at the turn.  If nobody waits on you to Catch up. Nobody cares.  But with todays course overcrowding I don’t see how that’s ever possible.  

I’ve never seen anyone spend 30min in the clubhouse and the group behind doesn’t just play through or there isn’t a giant wait out there anyway.  

I’m saying we jump ahead, tee off on 10 and then play 9, jump on 10 again and catch the group that teed off behind us… I don’t see how teeing off on 10 is because “they are slow and know it, that’s why they do it.”

Fairway woods: Titleist TSi2 (15.75 degrees), Titleist TS3 (19.5 degrees)[Diamana D+ Limited]

Irons: Taylormade p770 (4)[DG TI X100], Mizuno JPX 900 Tour (5-9)[Project X LZ 6.5]

32 minutes ago, ShupeSC said:

I’ve never seen anyone spend 30min in the clubhouse and the group behind doesn’t just play through or there isn’t a giant wait out there anyway.  

I’m saying we jump ahead, tee off on 10 and then play 9, jump on 10 again and catch the group that teed off behind us… I don’t see how teeing off on 10 is because “they are slow and know it, that’s why they do it.”

Sure. There could be other reasons. But using logic , it’s hard to think of one.  I assume ( yes I know about assuming) that one who takes off on 10 is either attempting to not wait on #1 or hoping to not see other groups.  Groups who are slow fit this. 

like I said. If you’re not seeing anyone else. No harm. No foul.  But.  If while on the back you have a group waiting behind you.  It’s your  fault and in credibly poor form that they’re waiting.  You can’t just slide a group in and think pace of play won’t suffer. 

put yourself in the other persons shoes.  Take my course.  Semiprivate.  I pay for a membership simply in order to get the preferred Tee times. Why ?  Family obligations mean I can’t go off at noon and spend the whole rest of the day away.  So we have a whole game around the 745ish ( depending on weather and time of year ) tee times.  We block 3-5 times every Saturday.  

.  Ok. So we’re motoring along and make the turn , and poof.  There’s a rando 4 some on the tee box waiting behind the Group in the fairway.  Group in the fairway is one of our groups that we were behind.  And you wait there and proceed to wait on most tee boxes and approaches after.  Are you happy with this ?  Especially if you know they weren’t told to do it by the pro shop ? I can’t see how anyone defends it.  

again. Wide open course. , play it backwards for all I care.  But I haven’t seen a wide open course since 2019.    

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM Sim2 max tour ADHD 8x 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Sure. There could be other reasons. But using logic , it’s hard to think of one.  I assume ( yes I know about assuming) that one who takes off on 10 is either attempting to not wait on #1 or hoping to not see other groups.  Groups who are slow fit this. 

like I said. If you’re not seeing anyone else. No harm. No foul.  But.  If while on the back you have a group waiting behind you.  It’s you’re fault they’re waiting.  You can’t just slide a group in and think pace of play won’t suffer. 

put yourself in the other persons shoes.  Take my course.  Semiprivate.  I pay for a membership simply in order to get the preferred Tee times. Why ?  Family obligations mean I can’t go off at noon and spend the whole rest of the day away.  So we have a whole game around the 745ish ( depending on weather and time of year ) tee times.  We block 3-5 times every Saturday.  

.  Ok. So we’re motoring along and make the turn , and poof.  There’s a rando 4 some on the tee box waiting behind the Group in the fairway.  Group in the fairway is one of our groups that we were behind.  And you wait there and proceed to wait on most tee boxes and approaches after.  Are you happy with this ?  Especially if you know they weren’t told to do it by the pro shop ? I can’t see how anyone defends it.  

again. Wide open course. , play it backwards for all I care.  But I haven’t seen a wide open course since 2019.    

I agree. There is no point to jump on 10 if the course has a wait on the back.  Most of my 10 hopping is late night when most people play 9 on the front and we fly. 

If people hop 10 and we have a group of times they get kicked off instantly.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ShupeSC said:

I agree. There is no point to jump on 10 if the course has a wait on the back.  Most of my 10 hopping is late night when most people play 9 on the front and we fly. 

If people hop 10 and we have a group of times they get kicked off instantly.

I figured we just misunderstood each other.  Text is tough to get  the gist always.    I should have said that I’d do that too on a wide open course.  I just forgot those used to exist.  Lol.  I miss being able to quit work at 3 and go walk till dark.  Not sure if we will ever see that day again.  I’m down to 1 round a week because of the crowds.  Now winter has taken that round away.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM Sim2 max tour ADHD 8x 

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I figured we just misunderstood each other.  Text is tough to get  the gist always.    I should have said that I’d do that too on a wide open course.  I just forgot those used to exist.  Lol.  I miss being able to quit work at 3 and go walk till dark.  Not sure if we will ever see that day again.  I’m down to 1 round a week because of the crowds.  Now winter has taken that round away.  

I know where that still happens, but I'm not telling... 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's usual starters have a relief hole during tee time hours.  But few things are more out of place than showing up on the tenth or umpteenth hole and hitting off in front of an upcoming foursome.  

I know a bunch of golden golfers that sometimes do that at my course.  Always the same people, always the same MO.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gentles said:

If it were me, if they stayed out of my way I wouldn't be too worried, but the moment they started holding me up I'd be checking with them if they were allowed to start there and asking to play thru

only real issue was that we were a 2some and they had 4 and we tee'd off 1.5 hours prior to them

Odyssey White Hot #5

The course I play is pretty much a goat track and the owner is retired military in his mid fifties. He does not put up with any junk. No one is allowed to tee off on the back nine first. If he were to spot someone try to go off the back they would be promptly asked to leave and better not give him any mouth or they would be banned.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

I was playing in Bremerton, WA once with an early morning and afternoon tee times (36 hole complex) and they mentioned they had everyone starting on 10 that day. I went to the range and TOTALLY FORGOT they told me that. Left the range, went to #1 and teed off. Didn't see a soul on the front side (DUH), except for the mowers (the reason they were starting on 10). Got to #10 and had to work in with the groups starting off. Luckily, there was a two-some going off and I slid in with them. No one ever said a word and I played off the CORRECT tee that afternoon! 🤪

BT 

• Haha 2

Cobra Speedzone 9.5° HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.5 @ 46"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

15 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I was playing in Bremerton, WA once with an early morning and afternoon tee times (36 hole complex) and they mentioned they had everyone starting on 10 that day. I went to the range and TOTALLY FORGOT they told me that. Left the range, went to #1 and teed off. Didn't see a soul on the front side (DUH), except for the mowers (the reason they were starting on 10). Got to #10 and had to work in with the groups starting off. Luckily, there was a two-some going off and I slid in with them. No one ever said a word and I played off the CORRECT tee that afternoon! 🤪

BT 

LOL!  I can 100% envision doing that, easily! In fact I’m surprised I’ve never done that.

Can imagine myself now “jeez, grounds crew seems to be everywhere this morning.”

• Haha 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

1 hour ago, mshills said:

LOL!  I can 100% envision doing that, easily! In fact I’m surprised I’ve never done that.

Can imagine myself now “jeez, grounds crew seems to be everywhere this morning.”

I was surprised none of them said anything to me. I was walking and just enjoying the solitude! 😎

BT

• Haha 1

Cobra Speedzone 9.5° HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.5 @ 46"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"