Kiawah Guys Golf Trip

LBRMGR

Thoughts on Kiawah for our annual 12 guys golf trip ?

Would probably stay on the island - are all 5 of the resort courses good/worth playing?

Is there any course in Charleston worth playing?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

Charleston Municipal is supposed to be be a great golf course, especially post renovation. Everything else around Charleston is fairly average IMO.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Thanks man.

Are all 5 resort courses worth it?

Titleist ProV1x

Depends on your definition of “worth it”.

People go there (obviously) for the Ocean Course. The other four are fine, but they don’t compare in any way to the OC. In my opinion the other 4 are neighborhood courses that feel like they could be located anywhere in Florida or South Carolina. The only difference is they charge more just because they are part of the resort and they know people will play them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Depends on your definition of “worth it”.

People go there (obviously) for the Ocean Course. The other four are fine, but they don’t compare in any way to the OC. In my opinion the other 4 are neighborhood courses that feel like they could be located anywhere in Florida or South Carolina. The only difference is they charge more just because they are part of the resort and they know people will play them. 

that’s helpful. 

Our trip has done: Wisco 2x, Pinehurst, Hilton Head, Streamsong already - Kiawah seems like a good next stop. 

also they seem to have availability in June whereas Big Cedar Lodge and Pinehurst do not. 

any reason not to go to Kiawah in June?

Titleist ProV1x

I am not sure of the other courses at Kiawah besides the Ocean Course are worth it. If it's a buddies golf trip it really won't matter where you guys play. Links of Stono Ferry was decent and it's fairly close.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

29 minutes ago, LBRMGR said:

that’s helpful. 

Our trip has done: Wisco 2x, Pinehurst, Hilton Head, Streamsong already - Kiawah seems like a good next stop. 

also they seem to have availability in June whereas Big Cedar Lodge and Pinehurst do not. 

any reason not to go to Kiawah in June?

Should be a great time of year weather wise. I would check aerification schedule. We have Bermuda greens and we punch in late May early June. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JRSc said:

Should be a great time of year weather wise. I would check aerification schedule. We have Bermuda greens and we punch in late May early June. 

looks like Oak and Turtle Point will have been aerated.

To replace those, how would you rank the 2 best neighboring courses to play?

Titleist ProV1x

Kiawah is lovely - beaches are great, it is very quiet and calming. 

There is literally zero nightlife so be sure that fits in your group's plans/expectations. 

The Ocean course is great but IMO as a whole compared to some of the other places you've visited, this trip will be a disappointment from the golf perspective. The other courses are very mediocre. 

Thanks - sounds like we would need 2 more courses off island to replace 2 courses that are being aerated. 

Titleist ProV1x

16 hours ago, LBRMGR said:

looks like Oak and Turtle Point will have been aerated.

To replace those, how would you rank the 2 best neighboring courses to play?

Ranking doesn't really matter since the resort only has two other courses besides Oak and Turtle (Cougar Point and Osprey Point). If you're planning on doing a resort only trip then those are your only other options. 

You could always drive to Charleston if you wanted to. Just keep in mind that late May - early June is prime aerification time for bermuda grass so it's no guarantee you run into that issue with other area courses as well.

The 5 courses at Kiawah I would consider to be better or at least on par with any public course in Charleston. The closest 2 from Kiawah would be Stono Ferry and Charleston Muni. A lot of people love the new Muni.. I am not 100% sold on it yet. Seems people either love it or hate it. Greens are finally starting to hold! Stono Ferry is a solid golf course that has a few holes along the water way. The next closest would be Shadowmoss which is your typically golf course through a neighborhood. Depending on how far you are looking to drive I would love at the links course at Wild Dunes to be probably the next best in the area. It would be a haul from Kiawah though. There are a lot of decent public courses in the area, just not anything that will knock your socks off like the Ocean Course. I would probably just play the ocean course a couple more times, but I know that would be pricey! 

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

7 minutes ago, krtgolfing said:

The 5 courses at Kiawah I would consider to be better or at least on par with any public course in Charleston. The closest 2 from Kiawah would be Stono Ferry and Charleston Muni. A lot of people love the new Muni.. I am not 100% sold on it yet. Seems people either love it or hate it. Greens are finally starting to hold! Stono Ferry is a solid golf course that has a few holes along the water way. The next closest would be Shadowmoss which is your typically golf course through a neighborhood. Depending on how far you are looking to drive I would love at the links course at Wild Dunes to be probably the next best in the area. It would be a haul from Kiawah though. There are a lot of decent public courses in the area, just not anything that will knock your socks off like the Ocean Course. I would probably just play the ocean course a couple more times, but I know that would be pricey! 

I’ll check aeration schedules for Stono Ferry and Charleston Muni. These are how far from the island?

thanks!

Titleist ProV1x

6 minutes ago, LBRMGR said:

I’ll check aeration schedules for Stono Ferry and Charleston Muni. These are how far from the island?

thanks!

Muni is probably 35 minutes. Stono would be about 45 minutes. Just depends on traffic. I am not sure how far in advance Stono lets you book. Muni only let's you book 1 week out. 

43 minutes ago, LBRMGR said:

thanks!

40 minutes give or take depending on traffic. You'll probably have to call and see if you can talk to someone at each course who knows their maintenance schedules. These two aren't exactly run on the same level as a major resort (Kiawah) so I doubt they post aeration schedules online. FWIW the muni is going to be next to impossible to 3 tee times remotely close together for 4 people especially in the summer. For example, according to their website the only foursome times available this coming Saturday are all after 2 pm. And that is on a day where the high is 40*, there is a chance of snow, and it will get dark at 5:30 pm.

Honestly, unless you're just really itching to play The Ocean Course I can think of several places that would be better for a 12 person trip. As great as that course is, the resort as a whole isn't really set up for a good buddies golf trip like Bandon, Pinehurst, Streamsong, and etc. are. In my opinion, if you do go to Kiawah you'd be better off just biting the bullet on cost and playing the OC multiple times. If the winds change day to day then the course can play totally different. 

All that being said... It's a bit late (only 5 months advance) to be trying to plan a trip for that many so I understand your other options might be limited. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Honestly, unless you're just really itching to play The Ocean Course I can think of several places that would be better for a 12 person trip. As great as that course is, the resort as a whole isn't really set up for a good buddies golf trip like Bandon, Pinehurst, Streamsong, and etc. are. In my opinion, if you do go the Kiawah you'd be better off just biting the bullet on cost and playing the OC multiple times. If the winds change day to day then the course can play totally different. 

Agreed. Only way I would do it is if:

(a) could get a nice house rental and have a group that is cool with playing cards, drinking at the house, grilling some burgers etc 

and

(b) could get a hookup for Cassique. 

Cassique is the only option that ups the golf to a worthwhile level. But gets pretty pricey especially if paying unaccompanied rates. 

All the driving off island stuff being discussed - that's a lot of hassle for a group of 12. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to get ubers and such. And that for whatever driving times people are quoting you need to add ~20 minutes just to get off the island in the 20mph traffic depending on where on the island you're staying. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

(a) could get a nice house rental and have a group that is cool with playing cards, drinking at the house, grilling some burgers etc 

and

Cassique is the only option that ups the golf to a worthwhile level. But gets pretty pricey especially if paying unaccompanied rates. 

All the driving off island stuff being discussed - that's a lot of hassle for a group of 12. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to get ubers and such. And that for whatever driving times people are quoting you need to add ~20 minutes just to get off the island in the 20mph traffic depending on where on the island you're staying. 

do you know anyone who has rented a house? Imagine that would impact the ability to book the courses ahead of time if you’re not staying at the resort… 

Titleist ProV1x

The other resort courses IMO are over priced. They’re good courses but not worth the cost. The other courses on the island are private but if you can find a way on they’re awesome. Both cassique courses are so much fun and have great views. If I’m ranking the other Kiawah course though cougar point is the top one for me. Hopefully the package price can bring down round cost so it might not be that bad but I wouldn’t pay over 150 for those courses outside of the island so I’m not gonna do it on the island. 

• Like 1

I think cougar and osprey are worth it...but it's also worth it to play OC more than once.  Stono pretty unique in the area...and you get discounted rates for staying and booking through Kiawah the condos aren't too bad priced and pretty well renovated. 

The replay rate I found to be really good, and you can get 36 in a day...hard to do when playing OC but doable...

In May 2019 I played early AM cougar and got turtle in the afternoon.  Think I paid maybe $75 for replay?   Been a couple years....cassique would be a hookup but for 12?  No...they quoted me nearly $700 all in as a single after paying caddie, unaccompanied guest rate AND for a pro to play with...they are pretty full from what I hear as well.  

COVID and reopening travel is going to drive costs up...but OC is worth it twice...such an amazing track .  Play the others with replays and use that saved cash for round #2....

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

• 4 weeks later...

Have you thought to try Hilton Head or Bluffton? There’s a lot more options there. You’d get one premiere course (Harbor Town) and there’s a lot better secondary options around that area then Kiawah. Plus, you’re going to find cheaper lodging there with more variety in terms of restaurants. The cream at Kiawah is clearly the cream. The rest is far from it. 

I worked on island for 10 years. We told our friends the same thing even when we could get them on the private courses (Cassique and River). 

• 3 months later...
On 1/17/2022 at 9:45 AM, ND2005 said:

and

Is Cassique open to non-members?

Also, what about Ocean Winds and Crooked Oaks.  Are they worth playing?

23 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

cassique you would either need to have a pro call and set up an unaccompanied guest/reciprocal round (which last time I went to Kiawah was $350 plus mandatory caddie if I recall correctly) or know a member. 

Haven’t played the other 2 

13 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Ocean Winds and Crooked Oaks are not anything special. Cassique and River course is not open to the public.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:15 PM, Golferpaul said:

Not a fan of either of the Seabrook courses. Avoid. 

Cassique is one of the most unique courses in Charleston. If you can find a way on, you'll be very happy you did. 

50 minutes ago, TBD203 said:

Been following this thread, as we have an October trip as well. We are trying to get our pro to sneak us onto Cassique now.

I called yesterday about getting on in September. They told me they no longer do unaccompanied since covid but you might be able to get your pro to wiggle you in.  Was also told September into October is busy because thats when they have their tourneys for the club.