2022 Hilton Grand Vacations Tournament of Champions (Jan 20 - 23)

Argonne69

All eyes will be on Patty Tavatanakit and Yuka Saso; can they expand on their successes last year and start to contend for No. 1?

Both Patty and Yuka are extraordinary putter and they're long off the tee, sky is the limit for them.  For reference, Patty finished 2021 with a 'strokes gained putting' of +1.36 and Yuka +1.41, both are inside Top-5 in that category.

6 hours ago, 18majors said:

The beloved family of 'Blue Devil' is growing:

Six Blue Devils Set to Open LPGA Slate

Celine Boutier, unexpectedly, is the leader of the pack in terms of number of wins.

" The Duke women's golf program will once again have a heavy influence on the LPGA as the tour opens the 2022 season this month in Florida.  The Blue Devils will have six former golfers on the tour with Ana Belac, Celine Boutier, Gina Kim, Brittany Lang, Yu Liu and Leona Maguire competing.  

Duke will also feature Virginia Elena Carta, Laetitia Beck, Jaravee Boonchant, Lindy Duncan and Miranda Wang competing in LPGA Monday qualifiers, Symetra Tour, Cactus Tour and Ladies European Tour events.
"

Let's Go Duke!

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

The beloved family of 'Blue Devil' is growing:

Six Blue Devils Set to Open LPGA Slate

Celine Boutier, unexpectedly, is the leader of the pack in terms of number of wins.

" The Duke women's golf program will once again have a heavy influence on the LPGA as the tour opens the 2022 season this month in Florida.  The Blue Devils will have six former golfers on the tour with Ana Belac, Celine Boutier, Gina Kim, Brittany Lang, Yu Liu and Leona Maguire competing.  

Duke will also feature Virginia Elena Carta, Laetitia Beck, Jaravee Boonchant, Lindy Duncan and Miranda Wang competing in LPGA Monday qualifiers, Symetra Tour, Cactus Tour and Ladies European Tour events.
"

Generally speaking, I like Duke players.

I understand it on many levels but how in the world is Wie-West in this tournament. I get that she is a huge name and big draw but she has 1 top 10 since her win in 2018, which i admittedly forgot about. 

Now I don’t wish anything against her and it would be good for the game to see her so well but 🤷‍♂️

One more side note is my son (6 at the time) got an autograph from Nelly at the ANA a few years ago. She was nice but shy. Almost like she couldn’t believe someone recognized her and wanted an autograph, basically how she acted when she met Tiger. I root for her and think she is really good for women’s golf but think she still needs to be more comfortable in her own skin. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Forged4life said:

Seems a little unfair to the “celebrities” that the best woman golfer EVER is in their competitive group? 

oh and look she’s leading….SHOCKING 

I believe (maybe not???...just started to watch the recording)  Annika is playing at 6600 yards and that's LONG for her considering she's not on her OWN special "FORMULA" 🤣in retirement.

Kinda surprise 33 is leading....I thought 36-37 might be leading.

14 minutes ago, mallrat said:

I understand it on many levels but how in the world is Wie-West in this tournament. I get that she is a huge name and big draw but she has 1 top 10 since her win in 2018, which i admittedly forgot about. 

Now I don’t wish anything against her and it would be good for the game to see her so well but 🤷‍♂️

One more side note is my son (6 at the time) got an autograph from Nelly at the ANA a few years ago. She was nice but shy. Almost like she couldn’t believe someone recognized her and wanted an autograph, basically how she acted when she met Tiger. I root for her and think she is really good for women’s golf but think she still needs to be more comfortable in her own skin. 

I believe Wie was on a Mat leave during the 2 year win window...so that's extends her qualifying period so she's able to play.

IMO....Nelly seems to be a bit of an introvert, seems to have a personality that likes to stay under the radar and she seems to be quiet.

Edited by KBong

New Year....SAME OLD SAME OLD.

Early vote LEADER for this week's MOOSE award...Brooke just 3 jacked from 6 feet...missed a 2 foot putt.

The Entitled Canadian Princess will likely win....why?

Cause Cheatin Lexi is not playing this week.🤣

Man I love the old days....nicknames and MOOSE.🤣....I think the only member from the Stone Age still around who appreciates and understands this kinda NONSENSE IS @Argonne69

spacer.png

My Google skills are poor....the above MOOSE is not the original award....I can't find it.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, mallrat said:

I miss the Lexi moose with the moose droppings

It's not officially the Lexi MOOSE....as other lousy putter LPGA pros have won it too....but yes...Lexi's name does dominate the number of individual weekly name plates on the award.🤣

Heck....I could be the Van City MOOSE.....but as much as I think I'm a MOOSE....my putting avg is actually right in line with my cap level.

We are ALL never happy with our play.

In the last 6 weeks....I've made a couple of adjustments to my putting alignment and putt strikes that I'm really happy with and with good results.

I decided to go back to game my dad's 1970 Ping Anser which has been my gamer for 98% of the time since 1978 when I selfishly put the Anser into my golf bag without dad's permission.

I don't need to spend $400-$1000 to be a Scotty POSER.🤣

12 minutes ago, KBong said:

It's not officially the Lexi MOOSE....as other lousy putter LPGA pros have won it too....but yes...Lexi's name does dominate the number of individual weekly name plates on the award.🤣

Heck....I could be the Van City MOOSE.....but as much as I think I'm a MOOSE....my putting avg is actually right in line with my cap level.

We are ALL never happy with our play.

In the last 6 weeks....I've made a couple of adjustments to my putting alignment and putt strikes that I'm really happy with and with good results.

I decided to go back to game my dad's 1970 Ping Anser which has been my gamer for 98% of the time since 1978 when I selfishly put the Anser into my golf bag without dad's permission.

I don't need to spend $400-$1000 to be a Scotty POSER.🤣

@KBong Was this the original "Moose of the Week" award/ trophy? 

NGL... Like your hand-carved Moose award better! 🏆🦌

image.png.d86357f5c4d7a503c13998b68f827f12.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Haha 1

Caddie talk.

Hmmm....Tina didn't can Derek in the odd season...kinda surprised....Tina hands out pink slips like food stamps.

Kevin McAlpine (a Lexi loop awhile ago and Anna N's hubby) is on Moriya's bag

Is John Killeen on loan for a week to Mirim as Salas is not playing? John used to loop for Mirim.

Mark Wallington on the LOVELY Hee Young Park's bag.

Saso has a new loop

I thought he might have retired when he either quit or was fired by Tina....he's on Wie's bag...is he returning FT to the LPGA?...is this a transition loop as he tries to find a more permanent FT premier LPGA pro's bag....I suspect Wie might not play too often in 2022.

I'm interested to chat with some loops...one can get some good info from them....same with the pro's parents too.

Before Lydia was a LPGA member...in 2013,  I along with @bravedave had wings and beer with a caddie and he informed me that Tina was a "Dragon Lady"...he wasn't wrong.

Edited by KBong

8 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@KBong Was this the original "Moose of the Week" award/ trophy? 

NGL... Like your hand-carved Moose award better! 🏆🦌

image.png.d86357f5c4d7a503c13998b68f827f12.png

I'm not sure???....I don't think so???

@Argonne69 has a superior memory and better Google skills so he can verify

Arg might be the LPGA GOAT fanboy.

I'm kinda surprised Arg is on a craft beer & golf road trip as a retirement project....it would have been a lot cheaper for him to be a FT LPGA loop to see Merica and travel the world.

He could save a TON of money by being able to expense his craft beer receipts back to his LPGA pro in lieu of a daily dinner per diem.

Or better yet.....in retirement with his WRX LPGA/KLPGA/JLPGA fashion thread expertise....he could do LPGA post rd fashion interviews and critiques with the LPGA pros on their daily golf apparel.

But Mollie would likely fire him as he would be BIASED and give FAVORTISM to the Koreans for lots of air time as his fashion thread was DOMINATED with short skort and knee highs.🤣

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, mallrat said:

This is the first “Moose of the Week” I remember. 

608ABAE3-EF0C-4DC3-B12B-68F417406112.webp

Possibly...let's wait for @Argonne69 to reply....it's 7pm EST...so it's Craft Beer Happy Hour in FLA...so he's busy right now taking a gazillion pictures of the nightly craft beer offering and he might not log in until midnight as he might be driving all around FLA in Bessie to find a satellite or Wifi connection as lots of 5G antennae are down because of air flight traffic.🤣

• Haha 1

I'm pleasantly surprised by the TV coverage today in that LPGA players got bulk of the TV time.  Maybe because Hilton Grand Vacations is bona fide business and they don't need to kowtow to the celebrities like Diamonds Resorts used to be.

This has become a fun season opener with a credible sponsor and the purse raised from $1.2 million to $1.5 million.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mallrat said:

This is the first “Moose of the Week” I remember. 

608ABAE3-EF0C-4DC3-B12B-68F417406112.webp

Yes, that's it alright. 

• Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Scores are higher than in the past. The new course has some teeth. Now, will they move up the tees to bring the scores down? I wouldn't bet against it. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

7 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Now, will they move up the tees to bring the scores down? I wouldn't bet against it. 

You're right about the course played long today; it played to 6,648 yards against the official yardage of 6,608.

The leaders; Gaby, Yuka, Nelly and Ryann are all pretty long off the tee.  It would help players like Inbee if they shorten it tomorrow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 18majors said:

You're right about the course played long today; it played to 6,648 yards against the official yardage of 6,608.

The leaders; Gaby, Yuka, Nelly and Ryann are all pretty long off the tee.  It would help players like Inbee if they shorten it tomorrow.

Is that yardage for the male celebrities, or the women? I was playing 6200 to 6300 yds in Orlando last week, and it tough.

14 hours ago, 18majors said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by the TV coverage today in that LPGA players got bulk of the TV time.  Maybe because Hilton Grand Vacations is bona fide business and they don't need to kowtow to the celebrities like Diamonds Resorts used to be.

This has become a fun season opener with a credible sponsor and the purse raised from $1.2 million to $1.5 million.

I agree.  It was a pleasant surprise.  I don't need to hear from John Smoltz every 5 minutes, but it was much better.   

• Like 1

Good thing there is FF....on the PGA and LPGA tours.....I hate these celebrity and Am combo events...so Mickey Mouse.

IMO....kinda like Taylor Swift or Steph Curry goaltending for a Blackhawks game.

I think they were challenged to find enough celebrities to fill in the spots...HYP & A Lim Kim weren't grouped with one and maybe Kira Dixon didn't have a GC assignment this week and they asked her to fill in an open spot.

The good thing about coverage this week...we don't have to listen to GIGGLES Paige.

The green complexes are severe at Nona...miss your target and your ball can easily be rejected off the green....making some chips really difficult.

Even balls hit towards the pin without the proper spin will carry onto undesirable spots on the green.

I think they are also being generous with pin placements with the celebs playing this week.

I'd hate to play an Iron Man at Nona with NASTY NASTY pin placements and greens stimped to 13.

Talkin about celebs...Meatloaf just passed away....RIP.

Bat out of Hell...so many great HS memories.

• Like 1