Legend Trail

Tucson National

Silver Creek 

Whirlwind (Cattail)

Whirlwind (Devils Claw)

Aguila

Los Caballeros

Arizona National

*Edits: corrected spelling, Removed Blackstone and Papago.  Added Aguila and Arizona National

** Second Edits Removed Sunridge Canyon for Eagle Mountain.  Replaced Starr Pass with Legend Trail.

So there you have it.  My "off the top of my head" top 30 public in Az.  There are actually a couple on here I have not played, but based on other opinions I put them in where I thought they would fit.  I would love those who have played some of these courses very often to chime in on gross misses and even omissions  (I seriously could be leaving off an obvious one).  My hope is to hone this list based on better (your considered input) up to date info, and then get back out to play them all by the end of the year.  No offense taken if you disagree.  I'm open to being wrong.

Edited by vallygolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vallygolf said:

Wekopa (Saguaro)

AkChin Southern Dunes

Troon North (Pinnacle)

Grayhawk (Raptor)

Wickenberg Ranch

Ventena Canyon (Mountain)

Quintero

Sterling Grove

Troon north (Monument)

Golf Club at Dove Mountain

Grayhawk (Talon)

Verrado (Founders)

Wekopa (Cholla)

TPC Scottsdale

Sewalio

Laughlin Ranch

Blackstone

Camelback (Ambiante)

Boulders (south)

Boulders (north)

Papago

Verrado Victory

Longbow

Sunridge Canyon

Starr Pass

Tucson National

Silver Creek 

Whirlwind (Cattail)

Whirlwind (Devils Claw)

Los Caballeros

So there you have it.  My "off the top of my head" top 30 public in Az.  There are actually a couple on here I have not played, but based on other opinions I put them in where I thought they would fit.  I would love those who have played some of these courses very often to chime in on gross misses and even omissions  (I seriously could be leaving off an obvious one).  My hope is to hone this list based on better (your considered input) up to date info, and then get back out to play them all by the end of the year.  No offense taken if you disagree.  I'm open to being wrong.

Comments:  

• Blackstone is not public.
  • Papago is not top 30 imo - a good course to play, but it's not even the best muni...Aguila is.
  • Sunridge night not be top 30 - Eagle Mountain across the road is a better course, just for comparison 
  • I would not put Starr Pass in a top 30
  • Legend Trail is close
  • Up for consideration are the Sedona courses in a top 30 - Oak Creek or Sedona Golf resort
  • While course wise it may not be top 30 for the AZ resident - the views and conditions get it there for out of towners and the occasional play: Dinosaur Mountain 
  • Minor spelling - Ambiente, Ventana
Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

I'd put Arizona National in Tucson on that list.

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Comments:  

• Blackstone is not public.
  • Papago is not top 30 imo - a good course to play, but it's not even the best muni...Aguila is.
  • Sunridge night not be top 30 - Eagle Mountain across the road is a better course, just for comparison 
  • I would not put Starr Pass in a top 30
  • Legend Trail is close
  • Up for consideration are the Sedona courses in a top 30 - Oak Creek or Sedona Golf resort
  • While course wise it may not be top 30 for the AZ resident - the views and conditions get it there for out of towners and the occasional play: Dinosaur Mountain 
  • Minor spelling - Ambiente, Ventana

LOL  I didnt know Blackstone was private.  Played it 3 times in a group...had no idea.  Ill have to change that.  Thanks for the heads up on Oak Creek and Sedona Golf Resort.  I have not played either. 

Where would you slot them?

Does Aguila belong on the list?

As I think about Dinosaur Mtn.  I would rather play there than Sunridge or Eagle Mountain so I can see it being on the list.  I had basically swapped Sunridge for Eagle Mtn as I had read Eagle mtn was a total loss and in the process of recovery.  

Thanks for the edits.

I am headed out to Scottsdale soon and I am going to try and sneak in 3 rounds. I am thinking:

WeKoPa Saguro

Talking Stick North

either Quintero or Longbow

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

2 hours ago, vallygolf said:

LOL  I didnt know Blackstone was private.  Played it 3 times in a group...had no idea.  Ill have to change that.  Thanks for the heads up on Oak Creek and Sedona Golf Resort.  I have not played either. 

Where would you slot them?

Does Aguila belong on the list?

As I think about Dinosaur Mtn.  I would rather play there than Sunridge or Eagle Mountain so I can see it being on the list.  I had basically swapped Sunridge for Eagle Mtn as I had read Eagle mtn was a total loss and in the process of recovery.  

Thanks for the edits.

Always tough bro - once you get into the 20s it ends up a lot of perception.  Some folks love The Raven - Where does it fit?  Aguila, design wise and these days conditions, you could make an argument that it could be on the list - the area, views, looks and "rough edges" can make it seem like it shouldn't be.  I've always like Estrella - many don't and over the years it has gotten worse due to housing.  

The Sedona courses are funny - I prefer Oak Creek, but lots of people like Sedona Golf resort better - probably because of views.  But they may be right at the late 20s. LOL.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Always tough bro - once you get into the 20s it ends up a lot of perception.  Some folks love The Raven - Where does it fit?  Aguila, design wise and these days conditions, you could make an argument that it could be on the list - the area, views, looks and "rough edges" can make it seem like it shouldn't be.  I've always like Estrella - many don't and over the years it has gotten worse due to housing.  

The Sedona courses are funny - I prefer Oak Creek, but lot's of people like Sedona Golf resort better - probably because of views.  But they may be right at the late 20s. LOL.

Seriously,  15-30 was hard to differentiate. Boulders and Whirlwind were tough.  I find myself mixing holes and courses so until I play them more I couldnt be definitive.  Mostly I wanted to make my own list of the top 30 and work to play them all this year.  I may do a quick write up after checking one off.  Thought I might keep it here on this thread.  I just want confirmation that I am not missing any must play top 30 public.

Edited by vallygolf

38 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

Seriously,  15-30 was hard to differentiate. Boulders and Whirlwind were tough.  I find myself mixing holes and courses so until I play them more I couldnt be definitive.  Mostly I wanted to make my own list of the top 30 and work to play them all this year.  I may do a quick write up after checking one off.  Thought I might keep it here on this thread.  I just want confirmation that I am not missing any must play top 30 public.

I could do without either Boulders course to be honest, again personal preference. I could see some shuffling with Ventanna Canyon, Vistancia, Golf Club of Estrella or Copper Canyon in the mix, heck, even Dinasaur Mt could be considered a top 30, just for the views alone and being very Arizona/Desert Unique. I believe Oak Creek deserves a spot for sure. 

I like your list overall, ratings are highly subjective as we all know. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:37 AM, vallygolf said:

Another one I have not played.  How does it rate to Sewalio and Tucson National?

I'd say the layout is better than either with more character ( not goofy, LOL) 

Conditioning wise maybe a half step below, but still pretty good. The bunkers are the weak link, but they've been doing work on them for the past two years and while not perfect, they are B+.

Course has substantial yet subtle elevation changes, and plays a bit longer than stated on the card. If the wind is up things get interesting......

Best views of any course in the area.

Fees are around $70 including cart.

Edited by RainShadow
  • Like 1

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Oak Creek in Sedona is a traditional parkland course in a stunning setting. Good mix of holes. Robert Trent Jones SR and JR design.  At least in the discussion of top courses.  Sedona Golf Resort has the stunning views without much else - reminds me of Desert Canyon with a lot of elevation changes but oddly designed holes. 

• Like 3

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Any updated on Eagle Mountain?  How has the course recovered from losing the greens?

Mostly yes.  There is an occasional rough patch.  The areas in the fairway were about 75% recovered.  It was definitely not what we come to expect of EM, but it certainly is not an utter mess anymore.  

• Like 1

I want to put Oak Creek on the list, but I have never played it and so have no frame of reference.  Looking at the courses on the list are there any that stand out that should be replaced by Oak Creek?

***Silvercreek is a personal favorite that will always be on my top 30 list, so even though a case could be made to take it off it is my one bias course that wont ever be below 30.

Edited by vallygolf
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, cbbaron said:

Dove Mountain  I think its Saguaro and Tortolita where they played match play. Played it once really liked but kicked my a@#

The problem with Dove Mountain is the greens are ridiculous. 

Unless you've played there a bit, it's unlkely you'll score well.

Overpriced Nicklaus design, IMO

• Like 3

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

11 hours ago, DrSchteeve said:

Oak Creek in Sedona is a traditional parkland course in a stunning setting. Good mix of holes. Robert Trent Jones SR and JR design.  At least in the discussion of top courses.  Sedona Golf Resort has the stunning views without much else - reminds me of Desert Canyon with a lot of elevation changes but oddly designed holes. 

The views are what sells Sedona golf resort. Fun course, but other than the scenary, nothing special.

Edited by RainShadow
  • Like 1

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

I want to put Oak Creek on the list, but I have never played it and so have no frame of reference.  Looking at the courses on the list are there any that stand out that should be replaced by Oak Creek?

***Silvercreek is a personal favorite that will always be on my top 30 list, so even though a case could be made to take it off it is my one bias course that wont ever be below 30.

Wait til you make a trip...it's border and it's your list anyways.  

For me it would be above 3-4 on your list.  So plan on it this summer. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 8:56 AM, vallygolf said:

Well it is much better than Sterling Grove, TPC (either course), Ambiente (and I'm a fan), Boulders (either course), Whirlwind (either course), Silvercreek (despite the OP's personal preference), Eagle Mountain. I might say Aguila but then this entire board would pan me...

Edited by DrSchteeve
  • Like 2

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 8:04 AM, RainShadow said:

The problem with Dove Mountain is the greens are ridiculous. 

Unless you've played there a bit, it's unlkely you'll score well.

Overpriced Nicklaus design, IMO

The greens are the most fun part of the course IMO.   The rest of the course (like many JN courses) is just 18 kicks to the nuts.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, teejaywhy said:

The greens are the most fun part of the course IMO.   The rest of the course (like many JN courses) is just 18 kicks to the nuts.

I guess they're fun to putt, if that's all you're there for. Scoring is a another story all together. 

I just found that unless you were on the right level, of the 3 or 4 on many of them, you could easily 4 putt.

Miss the green, and good luck on a lot of them.

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

On 1/19/2022 at 10:27 PM, vallygolf said:

Any updated on Eagle Mountain?  How has the course recovered from losing the greens?

Played it a handful of times since October of last year and as recently as last week….greens are in great shape and when I played it in October for the first time ever I would have never known they had issues with the greens. 

I did make a hole in one on #13 during my first round ever at Eagle Mountain so I might be a little biased 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1