Jump to content

Top 30 AZ public


vallygolf

Recommended Posts

This is a good working list for folks visiting Arizona.  This list would have saved me hours of research 🧐 

 

Maybe an honorable mention but I played Copper Canyon (same designer as Ak Chin) for $34 during the Phoenix Open week when prices were sky high.  It’s a bit of a drive from PHX but the conditions on the course were excellent and the course was well worth it at that price.  I played with 3 locals and they said it’s prices on GolfNOW app drop even lower in summer/fall.  It’s run by Troon mgmt and has (3) 9 hole courses they rotate.
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 11:54 AM, puttnforthe8 said:

Always tough bro - once you get into the 20s it ends up a lot of perception.  Some folks love The Raven - Where does it fit?  Aguila, design wise and these days conditions, you could make an argument that it could be on the list - the area, views, looks and "rough edges" can make it seem like it shouldn't be. 

 

 

... Dude, what's mine say? 🤪  You have pretty much described the majority of my golf. I play Aguila all winter because $24 to walk at twilite with my remote cart for a course of this caliber is too hard to pass up when most are charging $150-300 and it is 5 minutes from my home. I join Raven in the Summer because the trees provide some shade protection in the intense heat and with an Arcis Players card it is $29 to play twilite. Raven as a base lets me venture out to all the other courses on the list while summer prices are in effect. 

  • Like 1

Driver:       TM Stealth2 HD 10.5* ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    TM Dhy 22*/19* ... Diamana LTD 65r
Irons:         Cobra King Tour 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:    TM MG3 51*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

 

... Dude, what's mine say? 🤪  You have pretty much described the majority of my golf. I play Aguila all winter because $24 to walk at twilite with my remote cart for a course of this caliber is too hard to pass up when most are charging $150-300 and it is 5 minutes from my home. I join Raven in the Summer because the trees provide some shade protection in the intense heat and with an Arcis Players card it is $29 to play twilite. Raven as a base lets me venture out to all the other courses on the list while summer prices are in effect. 

 

Same here - except that I make Southern Dunes my home for the summer...$25ish / round for top 5 course is a no brainer.  I go to Aguila all winter and sprinkle in GCU, Poston Butte and a couple of others using my Troon card.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really good list... I want to see Papago in the fall after moving a couple of greens reno'ing the tees... etc. Also installing some partial golf paths... 9 and 18 look to become a little harder...

PING G435 Max    10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G435 LST     16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G435 19*      Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G435 22*      Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex
PING i230 5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts
Titleist SM 9 raw    50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shafts

Taylormade Rossi   M-21

Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Same here - except that I make Southern Dunes my home for the summer...$25ish / round for top 5 course is a no brainer. 

 

... I wish SD was closer as it's one of my favorites. No brainer indeed. 👍

Driver:       TM Stealth2 HD 10.5* ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    TM Dhy 22*/19* ... Diamana LTD 65r
Irons:         Cobra King Tour 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:    TM MG3 51*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, chisag said:

 

... I wish SD was closer as it's one of my favorites. No brainer indeed. 👍

SD is the only consolation we East Valley guys have.  Even though it is a ways off, Queen Creek road gives a strait shot.  25 minutes from my front door.  49 to wekopa.  Still befuddled by the derth of good golf in Chandler and Gilbert.  Can I put in a request to the cosmos to blow up Kokopeli, Western Skies, and Superstition Springs and just give us one world class golfcourse in return..... I know, too many houses and flat land.

Edited by vallygolf
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

SD is the only consolation we East Valley guys have.  Even though it is a ways off, Queen Creek road gives a strait shot.  25 minutes from my front door.  49 to wekopa.  Still befuddled by the derth of good golf in Chandler and Gilbert.  Can I put in a request to the cosmos to blow up Kokopeli, Western Skies, and Superstition Springs and just give us one world class golfcourse in return..... I know, too many houses and flat land.

Well SD is quite a good consolation. And created from a piece of flat land, so it can be done.

  • Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, vallygolf said:

SD is the only consolation we East Valley guys have.  Even though it is a ways off, Queen Creek road gives a strait shot.  25 minutes from my front door.  49 to wekopa.  Still befuddled by the derth of good golf in Chandler and Gilbert.  Can I put in a request to the cosmos to blow up Kokopeli, Western Skies, and Superstition Springs and just give us one world class golfcourse in return..... I know, too many houses and flat land.

Sup Springs would be the choice - there is enough property, contouring and routing that someone could do something pretty good with it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Sup Springs would be the choice - there is enough property, contouring and routing that someone could do something pretty good with it.  

Call me stupid, but I really liked Sup Springs in the mid 2000’s. I think it has gone downhill quite a bit since then, but found the course somewhat interesting and playable. It could probably use a complete refresh and now would be the time with the extra rounds from covid. Doubt they Will do anything. 
 

I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, azgolfer44 said:

Call me stupid, but I really liked Sup Springs in the mid 2000’s. I think it has gone downhill quite a bit since then, but found the course somewhat interesting and playable. It could probably use a complete refresh and now would be the time with the extra rounds from covid. Doubt they Will do anything. 
 

I

 

Owned by Arcis, so probably not gonna happen, they are just going to run it into the ground.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, vallygolf said:

SD is the only consolation we East Valley guys have.  Even though it is a ways off, Queen Creek road gives a strait shot.  25 minutes from my front door.  49 to wekopa.  Still befuddled by the derth of good golf in Chandler and Gilbert.  Can I put in a request to the cosmos to blow up Kokopeli, Western Skies, and Superstition Springs and just give us one world class golfcourse in return..... I know, too many houses and flat land.

Kokopelli was by far the worst conditioned golf course I've played since moving to AZ 3 years ago. I generally steer clear of anything questionable, but an old friend made this tee time. He's lived here since the mid 80's but hadn't played there in 20 years. You know you are in trouble when the golf carts look like they have been salvaged from a flooded river/wash. I've never seen so much mud on a golf course. Just random patches of grass. This was summer, so it's probably pristine in the winter overseed.😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

It’s amazing the wide range of courses that Arcis manages. From a complete and dump like Kokopelli to Stone Canyon?? Talk about compete and total polar opposites of the golf spectrum. 

 

Business model I assume - just like restaurants - some own dumpy fast food places all the way up to nice restaurants.

 

Not sure the economics/financials - but there probably is some sort of hand down, reuse, and other stuff that gets them tax breaks or money savings.  Like the carts - run them to the ground at a nice course, "sell" them to the other course and then run them to the death there.  Prob a solid accounting trick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, puttnforthe8 said:

 

Business model I assume - just like restaurants - some own dumpy fast food places all the way up to nice restaurants.

 

Not sure the economics/financials - but there probably is some sort of hand down, reuse, and other stuff that gets them tax breaks or money savings.  Like the carts - run them to the ground at a nice course, "sell" them to the other course and then run them to the death there.  Prob a solid accounting trick.

I can see it now.  Stone Canyon staff:  "So glad we are getting rid of these crappy carts.  Corporate has been so chincy on these things, they are on their last leg"

Superstition springs staff:  "Sweet new carts.  These actually charge and operate, no more spending the day in mid round cart rescues."

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 3:16 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

 

Same here - except that I make Southern Dunes my home for the summer...$25ish / round for top 5 course is a no brainer.  I go to Aguila all winter and sprinkle in GCU, Poston Butte and a couple of others using my Troon card.  

I dont hear to much conversation about Poston Butte (I know it is way out there).  Its not too far from me in SE valley, is it worth looking to put on the rotation?  Similarities to any local courses?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, vallygolf said:

I dont hear to much conversation about Poston Butte (I know it is way out there).  Its not too far from me in SE valley, is it worth looking to put on the rotation?  Similarities to any local courses?

Absolutely - the value is excellent.  Good facility (range, putting and chipping w/ bunker).

 

It is flat, but the greens are no gimmees - greens are the best part.  There are some similar holes, but it's not like you would outright hate them.  Risk reward, good par 5s.  

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

poston is gary panks, you'll see similarities between his courses. Actually reminds me of a mix between Raven,Legacy, and Seville

  • Like 2

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2022 at 5:21 PM, fore_life said:

poston is gary panks, you'll see similarities between his courses. Actually reminds me of a mix between Raven,Legacy, and Seville

Nice.  I typically like Panks courses.  He doesn't beat anybody up, but usually adds just enough challenge to keep it interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Talking Stick north and south 

Apache Stronghold

Vista Verde

TPC Champions

Apache stronghold is closed, vista verde is private, north and south have new names.

  • Haha 1

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Was in PHX last week. Mostly played at my buddy’s club, but did get up to Los Caballeros. Here’s my assessment:

 

Overall really enjoyed it. 
Beautiful setting. 
Super friendly staff and quite good $ value for peak season. 
Very playable off the tee. 
Numerous elevated greens. 
Handful of blind shots. 
One goofy par 5. 
 

I’d play it again for sure, especially now that Wick is private 😕

  • Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

  Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

  PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

  PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

  LAB DF 2.1 putter, nickel, 38" / 67*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mshills said:

Was in PHX last week. Mostly played at my buddy’s club, but did get up to Los Caballeros. Here’s my assessment:

 

Overall really enjoyed it. 
Beautiful setting. 
Super friendly staff and quite good $ value for peak season. 
Very playable off the tee. 
Numerous elevated greens. 
Handful of blind shots. 
One goofy par 5. 
 

I’d play it again for sure, especially now that Wick is private 😕

I love Los Cab, such an old school course in a great setting. 
 

Wickenburg Ranch isn’t fully private. Still open to Troon Card play.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2023 RSM Classic - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2023 RSM Classic - Monday #1
      2023 RSM Classic - Monday #2
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Jacob Tilton - GA PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2023 RSM Classic
      Josh Teater - WITB 2023 RSM Classic
      Grayson Murray - WITB - 2023 RSM Classic
      Chris Kirk - WITB - 2023 RSM Classic
      Ben Kohles - WITB - 2023 RSM Classic
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Ping S159 wedges - 2023 RSM Classic
      Ping G430 Max 10K driver - 2023 RSM Classic
      New Toulon Seaside putter - 2023 RSM Classic
      SeeMore putters - 2023 RSM Classic
      Cameron putters - 2023 RSM Classic
      New Bettinardi putters - 2023 RSM Classic
      Custom Swag putter & cover - 2023 RSM Classic
      Two Thumb prototype grip - 2023 RSM Classic
      Cobra Dark Speed driver - 2023 RSM Classic
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 15 replies
    • 2023 Charles Schwab Cup Championship - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2023 Charles Schwab Cup Championship - Tuesday Mini Gallery (Vijay, Retief, KJ and more)
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      K.J. Choi WITB – 2023 Charles Schwab Cup Championship
       
       
       
       
       
        • Thanks
      • 11 replies
    • 2023 Sanderson Farms - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2023 Sanderson Farms - Tuesday #1
      2023 Sanderson Farms - Tuesday #2
      2023 Sanderson Farms - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Brent Grant - WITB - - 2023 Sanderson Farms
      Matti Schmid - WITB - 2023 Sanderson Farms
      Paul Haley - WITB - 2023 Sanderson Farms
      Will McGirt - WITB - - 2023 Sanderson Farms
      Sung Kang WITB - 2023 Sanderson Farms
      Ben Taylor - WITB - - 2023 Sanderson Farms
      Ford Clegg - WITB - 2023 Sanderson Farms
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      New Toulon Design Montecito putter - 2023 Sanderson Farms
      Augusto Nunez - custom Cameron putter - 2023 Sanderson Farms
      New adapter for putters with graphite shaft - 2023 Sanderson Farms
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 4 replies
    • 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA) - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA) - Tuesday #1
      2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA) - Tuesday #2
      2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA) - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Lydia Ko - WITB 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
      K.K. Park - WITB 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
      Pernilla Lindberg - WITB 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
      Azahara Munoz - WITB 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
      Amy Kang - WITB 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
      Lucy Li - WITB 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
      Alexa Pano - WITB 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
      Su Oh - WITB - 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
      Marina Alex - WITB - 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship (LPGA)
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 27 replies
    • 2023 Nationwide Children's Champ- Discussion & Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2023 Nationwide Children's Championship - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Kevin Dougherty - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Cody Blick - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Wilson Furr - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Brian Campbell - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Cristobal del Solar - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Chris Petefish - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Camilo Villegas - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Jared Wolfe - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Trace Crowe - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Nick Lindheim - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Chandler Phillips - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Daniel Summerhays - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Kevin Velo - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Bo Hoag - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
      Sam Saunders - WITB - 2023 Nationwide Children's Championship
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 0 replies

×
×
  • Create New...