Defining the World's Best Golf Polo

Fellow WRX-ers... I've spent my whole career in apparel at some of the biggest brands around. Part of that time was spent working on golf apparel. I've heard SO many opinions from designers, buyers, and many many others.  I'd like to know what YOU all think makes a polo great? 

I'll start the ball rolling: 

1. A great collar - it's got to neatly fold down, stand up to washing. Love button downs for the neatness of them!
  2. Fabric - love the performance of wicking fabrics, but can't stand shiny polyester
  3. Sleeves - too long and baggy and you look like a Champions Tour hopeful regardless of your age
  4. Fit - modern fits are great, as long as they don't get Jason Day-level tight - overly baggy is worse than too tight IMO

Over to you! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HackerDad78 said:

Fellow WRX-ers... I've spent my whole career in apparel at some of the biggest brands around. Part of that time was spent working on golf apparel. I've heard SO many opinions from designers, buyers, and many many others.  I'd like to know what YOU all think makes a polo great? 

I'll start the ball rolling: 

1. A great collar - it's got to neatly fold down, stand up to washing. Love button downs for the neatness of them!
  2. Fabric - love the performance of wicking fabrics, but can't stand shiny polyester
  3. Sleeves - too long and baggy and you look like a Champions Tour hopeful regardless of your age
  4. Fit - modern fits are great, as long as they don't get Jason Day-level tight - overly baggy is worse than too tight IMO

Over to you! 

Sounds like you've described a Peter Millar Crown Crafted polo.

I would also add length of polo is important. I'm also a fan of clean, minimal branding.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

Sounds like you've described a Peter Millar Crown Crafted polo.

I would also add length of polo is important. I'm also a fan of clean, minimal branding.

Definitely a great quality polo! Personal taste, of course, I find their stuff a touch large. The length callout is a great one.  Nothing worse than having a polo tucked in that comes out after every swing! 

Just now, HackerDad78 said:

Definitely a great quality polo! Personal taste, of course, I find their stuff a touch large. The length callout is a great one.  Nothing worse than having a polo tucked in that comes out after every swing! 

Thats why I referred to their Crown Crafted line which is a more tailored fit vs the Crown Sport.

4 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Minimal or even better, no logo. Nothing worse than an otherwise good looking shirt ruined by some company’s ridiculous logo right there on the chest. 

Aside from that my other “must haves” were already mentioned (good length, solid collar, tailored but not overly slim fit, and etc.) 

Totally agree.  I like when brands do something small and minimal.  It makes it feel MORE premium! 

Agree with everything said so far about fit / tailoring.  We all know who the oversized brands are, who the 'modern fit' brands are, and who the slimmer 'Euro style' brands are, but perhaps more annoying is inconsistency within a brand.  I've had multiple Greyson and RLX shirts from the same line that don't fit the same.  

Collars on golf shirts can be notoriously bad - wrinkly messes after washing even if you stand them up.  Even high end brands have current lines with bad collars - G/Fore, Greyson, RLX, Peter Millar.  You have to look closely buying online.  I like a  'self collar' or one that's even a bit stiffer and stands up.  I do agree on the button down collars, they are nice and keep things in place - extra points for the hidden buttons on a collar that are underneath-  I remember some of the GMac (Kartel?) shirts were like that (that brand had nice finishing touches).

Use quality buttons and don't skimp on the thread that holds them on - nothing worse than a loose button.

Banded sleeves are terrible - they tighten up over time and "hang up" on your arm.  Even with new technical blend fabrics, because the band is a "heavier" weave, it wears differently.

Tennis tail is good, keeps things tucked in better (this issue has been helped by the sticky bands inside shorts/pants - a fantastic invention!).

One thing I would add is where the buttons on the placket are positioned is critical.  Whether it's 2 buttons, 3, or 4 - if the second to top one and/ or top one can't be left open without showing 1/3 of your chest or the opposite - strangling you, it hasn't been well-thought out.  

• Like 1

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

15 minutes ago, Togatown22 said:

Collars on golf shirts can be notoriously bad - wrinkly messes after washing even if you stand them up.  Even high end brands have current lines with bad collars - G/Fore, Greyson, RLX, Peter Millar.  You have to look closely buying online.  I like a  'self collar' or one that's even a bit stiffer and stands up.  I do agree on the button down collars, they are nice and keep things in place - extra points for the hidden buttons on a collar that are underneath-  I remember some of the GMac (Kartel?) shirts were like that (that brand had nice finishing touches).

Exactly the same brain here.  Love the hidden button down collars.  Lululemon has done a nice job.  But god forbid one of them come unbuttoned. It's a minor miracle getting it buttoned back up! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biff80 said:

Quality buttons and well constructed placket are very important. I also like polos with a subtle contrast inside-placket color. Gives a high quality look.  I would agree with the poster above about arm bands but also want to add that polos with the different weave collar appear cheap and flimsy.

This kind of nails it.  To me the polo is, obviously, defined by the collar and placket.  They HAVE to be top notch if I'm going to even consider buying. 

3 button with a well placed 2nd button

Good collar.  Firm.  Stands up to washing

Appropriately sized collar.  Not the tiny ones Nike has been putting out or something gigantic.  

Collar height should match that of the company's quarter zips so they sit at the same height when wearing one on top of the other

Moisture wicking.  Appropriate Stretch.  

Proper length.  Should stay tucked but be short enough you can wear it untucked as well

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2

Sim Max 3W

Titleist U505 2-iron

T200 (4-5)

T150 (6-P)

Vokey SM9 (5012F, 5614F, 608M)

Odyssey AI-One double wide DB

3 hours ago, Chilidog said:

Wow, another person on here that has spent their career in apparel. Mine is more in the manufacturing side working with all the brands. To answer your question, it depends. From our research it can be radically different based on people’s shapes. Bigger guys tend to lean towards heavier fabrics (whether cotton or polyester) that hide their love handles better. They prefer and open sleeve and a more classic fit. Leaner, more athletic guys like thinner fabrics, slim cut and lean towards banded sleeves that highlight their arms. To me, here is what I would say:

1) Collars matter to me. It needs to have enough of a structured lining inside of it that can handle repeated washings but don’t crinkle with the glue that is used on the lining. It needs to have hidden buttons to keep the clean look. 
2) You mentioned shininess. You can easily eliminate that in polyester by switching from a semi-dull to a full dull yarn. These yarns are used mostly in swimwear to achieve UV ratings and a lot of golf apparel brand designers are not aware of them. 
3) The fabric should be around 160 gsm which is a good weight that is not too light (feather weights will be around 120 gsm) and not too heavy like a 200 gsm fabric. 
4) I prefer a pique construction over a jersey construction as I believe it can be worn with more fabrics than a sportier jersey construction. 
5) I prefer a 2 button placket vs a 3 or 4 button. I think it’s cleaner and gives you the ability to leave both buttons open if you choose. 
6) I prefer an open sleeve but with a slimmer cut. I have decent sized biceps and find that banded sleeves slide up my arm. With the open, tighter sleeve, it doesn’t do that and still highlights my good parts. 
7) I prefer raised silicone branding. It doesn’t wash off like heat seals do which ruins the shirt. It’s a small thing but means a lot to me. 
8 ) I prefer an athletic cut. Broader shoulders, tighter chest and slim cut. 

I’m not particular though. 🙂 

Any brands in particular that offering polos that meet most of that criteria?

Athletic fit and a good collar are a must!

Criquet. 

Worn about everything ever made, their range polo and their classic players are good quality. The players model takes a bit of care, nothing wrong with that. 

Regular fit, slim fit - really up to you how you look in a golf shirt. 

Those are my favorite shirts, I’ve quit buying anything else new that is marketed as golf specific. So must be the world’s best. 😉

• Thanks 1

Appreciate this thread as I'm also really particular about my shirts and have been endlessly frustrated by a lot of just plain garbage.

I generally liked Kartel, but they seem to have gone out of business.

Several brands in here I had not heard of and are worth looking into.  Thanks!!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

8 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Any brands in particular that offering polos that meet most of that criteria?

Athletic fit and a good collar are a must!

There are brands that get parts of these correct: RLX, G/Fore, Criquet, Southern Tide, etc. But I haven’t found anyone to make the “perfect” polo yet. I keep suggesting my ideas with brand designers every time I meet with them but the industry has a major problem: 99% of industry designers are women that don’t play golf that are making mens clothes. I can’t tell you how many designers I’ve had to talk out of adding tee holders to pants or adding a tech pockets all over clothes to hold your phone while you swing with a headphone cord (how many phones support cords now?). They don’t do market research or if they do they talk to casual 3-4 rounds per year guys that tell them they want cargo pockets and boxier fits. It’s just an overall problem in this industry. 
I should really open a consulting company. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Chilidog said:

There are brands that get parts of these correct: RLX, G/Fore, Criquet, Southern Tide, etc. But I haven’t found anyone to make the “perfect” polo yet. I keep suggesting my ideas with brand designers every time I meet with them but the industry has a major problem: 99% of industry designers are women that don’t play golf that are making mens clothes. I can’t tell you how many designers I’ve had to talk out of adding tee holders to pants or adding a tech pockets all over clothes to hold your phone while you swing with a headphone cord (how many phones support cords now?). They don’t do market research or if they do they talk to casual 3-4 rounds per year guys that tell them they want cargo pockets and boxier fits. It’s just an overall problem in this industry. 

You really should!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Im not a materials person by any means, but along with everything said above - a material that doesn't make someone with chest hair look like they have pimples all over their chest....   A crisp, well fitting white polo shirt (with minimal logo/branding) looks as classic as anything I can think of and pairs well with almost any pull over or pant/short.  However, I cant find one that is not almost see-through or doesn't make my chest look like a it has an acne break out just because of a little chest hair.  I know - wear an undershirt...but that defeats the purpose of moisture wicking and movement freedom.  Any of you clothes/material guys found a brand or solution?  No, I don't want to shave my chest....

38 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

No mention of price?  Keep it under $40.  Under $30 is even better.  And keep the sizing consistent.  I have larges that I swim in and mediums that are skin tight.  

If you look hard enough and have patience you can get any of these 'high end' brands for under 40, def under 50.

PM is having their 50% off sale as we speak, I just picked up a RLX polo from Dillards yesterday for $37, they must have had 10 diff colors 65% with a good selection of sizing.

I've bought Greyson polos on Poshmark and Ebay for under $40 almost brand new.

Got 3 stitch polos last year in their mystery box for $30 each.

Found a couple GFore polos last year at Tj Maxx for like $25, these seem to be a unicorn now with all the BS going on these days, not many high end brands there as I check often.

Just snatch them up when you see them regardless if its middle of winter or you have 70 polos already in your closet.

1 hour ago, Chilidog said:

We should team up to change that!

Great Topic!

I typically find one manufacturer I like and stay brand loyal until something better replaces it. Right now its Greyson for me, which replaced RLX. I'm a slimmer build, so I dont like looking like I'm wearing a hand me down.

What I look for in order:

1. FIT - A tailored fit is key as golf shirts are usually oversized compared to other garments

2. Quality Material - This accentuates a good fit. Material that drapes well, isnt too thin/thick, and has good stretch

3. Collar - Agree with other commenters that a collar that holds up over multiple washes keeps me coming back 

4. Style - By now everyone here probably has lots of solid and striped shirts, so some unique prints/patterns, etc is a nice touch

As far as comments on price, you can find anything on sale if you look hard enough. It just might be from last years catalog.

• Like 1