A Few Thoughts From Monty.....

Forged4ever

I like him. Some players get a bad rap even though they say and do what many others do. For whatever reason some get labeled. 

Always liked his interviews. Very much like his commentary on broadcasts. 

At Wingedfoot if Phil didn't win I wanted Monty. I think having a few beers with him and Laura davies would be very fun. 

Oh. Efff winter bring back the heat!!! 

• Like 2

Great read Richard !   I’ve grown to love Monty as well.   It’s hard to imagine people being mean to that guy.  

i find his take on the order of merit to be spot on.  I kept looking at that myself and going “ how the blank does Colin M. Get that high on the board “?   

i also agree with him on todays game.  It’s an arms race pure and simple.  And to compete there is no real choice.  It’s sad to me.  I didn’t start the game until well into adulthood , so I feel like I missed the peak of the game from an artists perspective.  And am watching it hurl down the backside of the mountain towards the world long drive tour.  

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I’ll never understand how so many people get worked up over people they’ve never met. He always fascinated me and I found his swing to be graceful but he really didn’t get the respect here that he did I Europe. Thank you for posting the link, his observations are likely to be pretty close reality.

• Like 2

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I was always rooting against Monty but that was mostly because he seemed to contend in the same majors as Ernie Els did and I was a big Ernie fan.

I get the one-dimensionality of the distance argument in that the minimum club head speed required to compete has increased a lot. However, in spite of launch monitors, 3D systems, force plates etc., there is still a lot of variance in how the guys swing a club.

Look at the current top 10 in the rankings: Rahm, Morikawa, DJ, Cantlay, JT, Xander, Hovland, Rory, Bryson and Hideki. If they were playing in an event together, I could identify any of their swings from two fairways over. Cantlay is the most vanilla and I would identify him via process of elimination but the rest all have their very unique signatures.

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Like 2

Rich-

aaaaaarrrrrd! My man! 

Very nice share. Yes, I read that Monty has really gotten into American culture (no, that’s not an oxymoron! 🤣) and appreciates the far ranging, colorful, panorama, of the good old USA.

Things really aren’t that different around the globe. In any country, you got city folk, country folk, nuances, traditions, dialects, that can change in half a days drive from one region to the next.

Montys experience spans generations, and he has the unique perspective on pro golf of a Scot whos long career spanned the Atlantic as an elite player during a time of great evolution in the game. 

I believe He had the misfortune of getting off to a rocky start with US fans and he certainly did not deserve to be tormented as he was. 

Good to see he is enjoying himself and has the respect he deserves. 

• Like 4

When he was brought in on occasion a few years back at GC to weigh in at majors or Ryder Cup his comments were usually right on, intelligent and to the point. I really enjoyed him. Loved the little back story at Royal Troon about his dad in ‘16. 

I remember a story Richard recounted about a tavern incident that was pretty good involving Monty. 

I’d rather play a round with him than Couples or Norman!  Duck people! 😀 But Richard over those chops. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I remember a story Richard recounted about a tavern incident that was pretty good involving Monty. 

This was his round the next day😂😂

That poor b*stard didn't know which end of his clubs were up and was almost in tears standin on 10 tee....

THEN the wheels really came off😂😂

We laughed about it a few years later and we did have a great time that evening, though damn, did he pay the piper😂😂

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

AD6F275F-D78D-498B-BD29-C9924C180C7F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

i find his take on the order of merit to be spot on.  I kept looking at that myself and going “ how the blank does Colin M. Get that high on the board “?   

Super simple explanation/concept. Look at the money that Morikawa earned in events that counted for the ET Order of Merit in 2021 (WGC's, The 4 Majors) versus what the purse sizes were for standard ET events. He won 1.7 million Euros for the Open Championship. Many regular week in week out ET events paid less than 200-300,000 Euros. He won over 3.2  million Euros just for winning a WGC event and a major. WGC and The Majors count on each money list (PGA, ET). Sam with Horschel. Won a WGC event and then won the highest paying ET event (PGA Championship @ Wentworth).

https://www.europeantour.com/players/collin-morikawa-43410/results?tour=dpworld-tour

https://www.europeantour.com/dpworld-tour/schedule/2021/

• Like 2

What he says in the article is more or less what he has been saying in interviews in Bunkered and other places over the years. His views on the tours and RC was always sound.

But that does not take away his behavior in tournaments when in his prime. Saw him numerous times televised and actually saw him on-site in that 1991 Scandinavian Masters he mentioned in the article, as well as a few other times. And I did not like his diva appearance. Like, McEnroe did have good things to say about tennis too. His lack of respect most certainly was due to his behavior towards crowds, and journalists have been mentioning things along the same line, being in contact with Montgomerie.

luckily, social media has made the kind of behavior golfers had to crowds those days very rare.  

Edited by Hankshank
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, grm24 said:

Super simple explanation/concept. Look at the money that Morikawa earned in events that counted for the ET Order of Merit in 2021 (WGC's, The 4 Majors) versus what the purse sizes were for standard ET events. He won 1.7 million Euros for the Open Championship. Many regular week in week out ET events paid less than 200-300,000 Euros. He won over 3.2  million Euros just for winning a WGC event and a major. WGC and The Majors count on each money list (PGA, ET). Sam with Horschel. Won a WGC event and then won the highest paying ET event (PGA Championship @ Wentworth).

https://www.europeantour.com/players/collin-morikawa-43410/results?tour=dpworld-tour

Oh I get it mathematically I just don’t get why they weighted the open so heavily since it’s littered with non euro tour players and allowed a virtual outsider to Win the order of merit . Why would a wgc event factor in at all ?  Those are my opinions.  And I realize they’d probably be not popular to some.  

does the fedex cup consider the us masters or the us open so heavily ? ( real question ). 

• Like 3

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

38 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Oh I get it mathematically I just don’t get why they weighted the open so heavily since it’s littered with non euro tour players and allowed a virtual outsider to Win the order of merit . Why would a wgc event factor in at all ?  Those are my opinions.  And I realize they’d probably be not popular to some.  

does the fedex cup consider the us masters or the us open so heavily ? ( real question ). 

Really devalues the European Tour season and eventual champion IMO. But whatever DP (forgot that, lol) needs to survive, I guess. The year Patrick Reed was way up the Race to Dubai standings and the, lol, lifetime membership can’t have sat well with the rank and file. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Really devalues the European Tour season and eventual champion IMO. But whatever DP (forgot that, lol) needs to survive, I guess. The year Patrick Reed was way up the Race to Dubai standings and the, lol, lifetime membership can’t have sat well with the rank and file. 

Yep.  Just seem like instead of trying to save the euro tour. They’ve just liquidated it’s assets and sold them off. I don’t know. Maybe there was no choice.  But I doubt I ever learn to call it DP.  

• Like 3

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, grm24 said:

But they didn't have a lot of that stuff in Montgomerie's day.  WGC's didn't show up till 1998.  Montgomerie made his bones on the ET events.  

Today it is as you describe, but not back then.  

4 hours ago, ChillyDipper said:

Where is @Christosterone with the Reverse-C love?  I got into golf in 96 or so, and used to love my mornings beginning with a little Renton Laidlaw, a dewy Wentworth West, and Colin Montgomerie in his Pringles sweater.  Fall golf at its finest.

Mostly I lurk 

• Like 3

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

I didn't think too much of him for a long time, until I met him.  He's hilarious and as solid as a guy with a lot of really good opinions.

As he's aged, he's softened up and he's earned almost the same respect here as he has in Europe and it's good to see.

• Like 2

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

10 hours ago, Hankshank said:

What he says in the article is more or less what he has been saying in interviews in Bunkered and other places over the years. His views on the tours and RC was always sound.

But that does not take away his behavior in tournaments when in his prime. Saw him numerous times televised and actually saw him on-site in that 1991 Scandinavian Masters he mentioned in the article, as well as a few other times. And I did not like his diva appearance. Like, McEnroe did have good things to say about tennis too. His lack of respect most certainly was due to his behavior towards crowds, and journalists have been mentioning things along the same line, being in contact with Montgomerie.

luckily, social media has made the kind of behavior golfers had to crowds those days very rare.  

Very much this ^^^

Saw him do a clinic ten years ago and he was terrific, not particularly approachable but extremely knowledgeable, gregarious with some good lines. Very intelligent commentator on the game.

But jeez I probably saw him a dozen times in European tournaments and he was always, without fail, moody and rude to at least a handful of spectators / marshals / volunteers etc. 

Our equivalent of Steve "the Volcano" Pate, always ready to explode. And it's not like he was super young in his prime. Just utterly tiresome behavior. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mat562 said:

A quick one.

I agree with everything Monty says. And I say that as a person who's often been a critic in the past. He's often been puerile and mardy on the course, particularly when things weren't going his way, but he's an intelligent and articulate man and I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment of the modern game. The way technology has pushed things, we likely wouldn't see players of the like of Mongomerie, Pavin, McNulty and Olazabal nowadays, along with many more. They'd be unhead of, because they simply wouldn't have had the length to compete.

Also, with due deference to the sponsor and their financial input, can we just agree that the default condition is to refer to the 'other tour' as the European Tour? However many shipping containers you shift, and however many tournaments aren't held in Europe, I'm sorry, but I'm not having it.

Puerile & Mardy 

Is like solicitors?

🤣

; )

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

So, what are your thoughts on some of Colin's views?

Regarding overall distance I tend to agree with him in the sense that it has sort of excluded ways you can win.  You can no longer be an average or below average driver of the ball and be an accurate iron player and good putter and win.  You can't be average or below average driving and have a great short game and excellent shot-making and win.  You must be first and foremost long off the tee, and then excel at another aspect or two of the game to win consistently.  

Because of the above it has made the game one dimensional to a great extent.  Once you are driving it 310-330 in that range you are going to have a short iron or wedge in your hand more often than not.  Why waste time grooving mid-iron accuracy and shot making when you are likely only going to be using it on par 3's.  If you follow the data shooting par on them will have you at or beating the field most times.

You see some guys still making shots though.  Justin Thomas comes to mind.  He hits it both directions and high and low as it is required.  But he also has the distance to compete.

Money is killing the Euro Tour.  And what money isn't killing, covid is.  That's all I care to say on that.

I have no opinion on the Ryder Cup issues he brings up save for better players will beat inferior players all else being equal.  I'll let Europe figure out why their guys aren't better than the current crop of Americans.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Puerile & Mardy 

Is like solicitors?

🤣

; )

No, that's Chancers and Grabbing you're thinking of.

• Like 2

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal