Going back to older irons

5dogs

I went through this last year trying older sets I had passed on new. Started the year with NOS 765s and traded backward because I really did not get along with them.

Lots of regrips and trials later I have two new sets. Mizuno 921 HM by trade and 0211 DC from a smoking deal at PXG.

Other than giving me something to do during dead time I wouldn’t recommend it.

• Like 1

There are a ton of great clubs but as @tannyhoban said, it can get expensive unless you can but low and sell high. I found a stack of NOS KZG's a guy on eBay had that I got for next to nothing and are one of the best clubs I've hit. But I'm missing a 6 iron and the grooves aren't conforming, so that could be an issue. 

You can find a ton of quality sets for less than half the price of new.

PXG 0211 with Hzrdus Black RDX 60

Honma XP-1 3 and 5 wood 

Adams Pro DHY 3

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Well, since I have been gaming TA 855 5,6,7 and 8-PW Callaway x-forged with a Ping and Wilson hybrid thrown in, I'm clearly on the side of "newer isn't better". You can find a lot of very good used / older options at prices that are nothing compared to new. And more importantly, half the fun is in the chase to find something that works for you. Don't be afraid to experiment, and if you find something that isn't right, go ahead and flip it without taking a terrible loss as you would on new. Good luck and have fun finding your perfect set up!

• Like 2

Hmm.... currently playing iBlades, also i3 blades and Eye2+ BECU. Toss in some hickory clubs (1920-30's) and I have pretty much covered the spectrum. I sold 5 other sets of irons last year as I decided to thin the heard a bit. Playing older irons can be fun and with a little luck you can buy-sell without too much risk as you enjoy the search.

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

I've done something similar multiple times this past year actually:

- Started the year w/ Srixon ZX7's

- Sold them and bought Mizuno JPX 921 SEL's

- Hosel cracked on Mizuno's so I bought 2018 Callaway Apex MB's

- Sold the blades cuz it was a complete ego purchase and i'm not good enough to play them so I've settled on TaylorMade P760's

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade M5 9° w/ ACCRA Tour Z X475 M5 (45.75", tipped 0.75")

3 Wood: PING G400 Stretch 13° (@ 13.6°, little +) w/ UST Mamiya VTS TourSPX Red 8X (42.5", tipped 1")

5 Wood: PING G400 17.5° w/ UST Mamiya VTS TourSPX Silver 9SX (42", tipped 2")

Irons: PING Blueprint (4-PW) w/ Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50°-08F), SM8 (56° @ 55°-10S), SM9 WedgeWorks (60°-06K) w/ Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue Onyx Wedge

Putter: PING Anser 3 (36.5")

Grips: SuperStroke S-Tech Cord 60RGARSEN Ultimate

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Bag: PING Hoofer Craz-E Lite

"Old school" in the Eye2 era is probably not what you're willing to do.  The clubs you listed have a lot more technology and aren't even considered classic.  That said, if you want to try something different, more power to you, but I don't think you'll gain anything by doing so...

Edited by 14max

Driver Callaway MAVRIK MAX (10.5*)

Woods Callaway MAVRIK MAX (3/5/7)

Hybrid Callaway MAVRIK MAX (5)

Irons PING ie1 (6-PW)

Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy CB (54*/58*)

Putter PING Vault 2.0 Piper (34.75")

Bag Bag Boy Chiller Hybrid

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I have a set of Mizuno MP-62 heads 4-PW and the 3 iron with an unknown shaft that I got in trade. I practice with that 3 iron and it feels so sweet when I'm hitting it well. I'm very tempted to build up the set and put it in the bag.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (B1) Autoflex SF505                                                                                          Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Titleist TSi2 15* (C4) Tensei Blue Stiff                                                                                      4i - PING i210

5W - Titleist TSi2 18* (B4) Tensei Blue Stiff                                                                                      5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Titleist TS2 23*H (C1) Tensei Blue Stiff                                                                                             6i - Titleist T100

Irons - 5-PW Callaway Apex Pro '21 NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff                                                               7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

GW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* NS Pro 950 Neo Stiff                                                                        8i - Callaway X-Forged

SW - Callaway MD5 Jaws Raw 54* bent to 55* X Grind                                                                  9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

LW - Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60*/7*                                                                                                  PW - Srixon ZX-7

Putter - Toulon Columbus w/ LAGP 135 shaft                                                                                    GW - Wilson Staff CB

Snell MTB-Black  Vice Pro 

I played Mizuno MP-32s from 2005 until last year.  There were several times I would demo other clubs, but I never found anything that felt as good or offered a significant improvement.  I even convinced myself once around 2007 to trade the MP-32s in for a set of more "forgiving" irons; after four weeks of seeing my scores rise and absolutely hating the lack of feel I was able to trade the "forgiving" irons in and get my set of MP-32s back which were still sitting in the used club section.  After 15 years I decided it was time to retire the 32s and bought a combo set of JPX921 forged/tours which have been awesome.  That being said the 32s proudly sit in my backup bag patiently waiting for the call!

Edited by mizuno
typo
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

As you can see from the signature I went back to the OG's a couple of years ago.  I do have a set of Ping S56 which are "modern" but still a few years old.  The clubs are on average 1 club weak...other than that when I hit them they work just fine.   I lose most of my strokes off the tee and from 80 yards and in...which are the areas I really need to focus on this year.  

For me, play what you love and enjoy every second out on the course.  Fairways and greens!

• Like 1

Cally Epic Flash D
Cally Epic Flash 5w (Old school - TM 15* Tour Burner FlexTwist Titanium Shaft)

MacGregor CB92, DG120, 4-SW or BeCu Eye2's 4-SW, zz65 

Mn Bronze MyDay

I live on this road lol

Look at Daniel Berger, he plays old school irons.

I'm currently playing ping s55's w hard stepped oban 115 shafts.  Feel really good.  I still have the last set of irons I bought mp18sc and will switch to get some new feels (if needed). 

I think I sold my used mp30s like 2 years ago hahaha those were sweet irons.  

43 minutes ago, fastswinger said:

I live on this road lol

Look at Daniel Berger, he plays old school irons.

I'm currently playing ping s55's w hard stepped oban 115 shafts.  Feel really good.  I still have the last set of irons I bought mp18sc and will switch to get some new feels (if needed). 

I think I sold my used mp30s like 2 years ago hahaha those were sweet irons.  

I just bought a set of MP 30's last year.  My third set that I've had.  There isn't a set of irons on the planet that I like more.  I sold off all of my newer iron sets and I'm content with what I have now, including older Titleist 904f and 906f fairway woods.  All of it is so good.  It's not fancy, but doesn't need to be.  It just works.

• Like 2

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5° Graphite Design YS Nano Reloaded 6X 44" D3                                                 

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 16° 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 msi 70S 42.5" D2                                                        

Callaway Epic Flash 21° 7 Wood UST Mamiya Attas 4U 8S 42" D2                                                           

Titleist 915H 24° & 27° Hybrids Aldila NVS 105S                                                      

Mizuno MP30 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100                                                                           

Mizuno T20 51°,  55° & 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400                                     

Yes! Natalie Center Shafted 33"

Vice Pro Plus White                                              

On 1/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, 5dogs said:

Thinking about going old school with my irons. Currently gaming srixon 785’s and I’m about due. With rising costs of new irons, delays and my game lacking I’m wondering if anyone else has gone down that road. Looking at maybe ping i25’s or i200’s. Thanks 

If you need a bit more forgiveness, the PING sets you listed are tough to beat while still being a player's iron. If you can find a set of either in good condition, it should be money well spent.

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5° Graphite Design YS Nano Reloaded 6X 44" D3                                                 

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 16° 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 msi 70S 42.5" D2                                                        

Callaway Epic Flash 21° 7 Wood UST Mamiya Attas 4U 8S 42" D2                                                           

Titleist 915H 24° & 27° Hybrids Aldila NVS 105S                                                      

Mizuno MP30 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100                                                                           

Mizuno T20 51°,  55° & 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400                                     

Yes! Natalie Center Shafted 33"

Vice Pro Plus White                                              

On 1/20/2022 at 4:41 PM, drumdude96 said:

I just bought a set of MP 30's last year.  My third set that I've had.  There isn't a set of irons on the planet that I like more.  I sold off all of my newer iron sets and I'm content with what I have now, including older Titleist 904f and 906f fairway woods.  All of it is so good.  It's not fancy, but doesn't need to be.  It just works.

I’m that way with my W/S FG17s. I’ve spent no telling what on irons, with be TM P7MB incoming any day, and ALWAYS go back to my 17s. New grips would be cheaper and the way to go but I’m scared of losing the feel🤣!

• Like 1

Not necessarily really old but I did go from XR Pro (2013?) to P790 (2019) and then back to iBlades (2016?). While I did go back in time a little, it did show me that the tech to increase distance hurt my game more. Whether it was through spin or launch angle, a more traditional iron complimented my game more.

Now I've realized this and gone to a simple players cavity back.

Bought srixon z945 at the end of last year. Love them. 

Cobra LTDx LS  9* fuji ventus black 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Ventus Black 8x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid HZDS Smoke RDX 80s (For now) 
Callaway X forged CB 4-PW w/ Dynamic gold X7
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Oddessey 7CS Tour / white ice #1 

On 1/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, 14max said:

"Old school" in the Eye2 era is probably not what you're willing to do.  The clubs you listed have a lot more technology and aren't even considered classic.  That said, if you want to try something different, more power to you, but I don't think you'll gain anything by doing so...

I've played my Eye2's more this year than in the past 10, despite several sets of newer clubs in the garage.  My game was starting to slip and I was seeing more and more hybrids and FW's creep into the bag.  So I brought the Eye2 7i-L back into the normal weekly rotation with good results.  

I played them today and there is a 10° gap between my 5h and that 35° 7i, but a little feathering or half shot with the 5h seems to workout ok.  

I don't recommend for everyone, but I've had fun with it and think I'm finding some parts of my game that were forgotten when I could still smash a driver or 3w.  

Edited by OnTheBag
  • Like 1

G710 to iE1 was a change.  A year and a half with the 710 doesn't prepare you for the feel of the iE1 at all.  

Stealth 10.5° Ventus Velocore red 5s

Callaway 4+ steelhead XR tensi blue 65 S
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping iE1 DG120 S300 4-UW

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 56°- 60º 

Ping anser f titanium.   

20 hours ago, Kale_m said:

Bought srixon z945 at the end of last year. Love them. 

I have a split set that will have a chance to be main gamers (if I don't sell them before then...) that is 4/5 745's and 6-PW 945s.  Look great, but in the past me and their v-soles haven't gotten along, but will have their chance again my Edel's and I210s (but eyeing another set of 760s and T100's...)...  Shame because they look great and a little different in the angles vs. usual rounded MB's out there.

TBD (likely Titleist something)

TBD (same as above...)

Titleist TS3 19* RIP Alpha 85 S

Ping I210 4-UW PX 6.0

Vokey TVD 56M & 60K TI S400

SC PP Mid-Slant

TM TP/X