What Prompted You to Play "Insert Your Iron Category Here" Irons?

RoyalMustang

Obviously, hanging out on this site, you are more into gear than 99% of golfers out there.  

With that in mind, there is probably a pretty good reason you play the irons you do.  It is doubtful many here bought a set of SIM Max irons because they were hitting the 7-iron 200 yards.  I am not speaking so much about brand, but more about type of irons; elite player (blades and mixed), player, player performance/distance, game improvement, and super game improvement. 

Even better question: what has your iron evolution been like?  

• Like 1

I’m 42 and have played 5-6 irons sets over my lifetime.  They tend to be Cavity backs with game improvement features.  I have had short stints with Ping G30’s, Taylormade Burners and other Game improvement clubs but moved on rather quickly.  These are the sets that were in my bag at least 1 full season. 

1987 MacGregor Jack Nicklaus SS1 irons - my Dads backup set

Taylormade Firesoles.

Cleveland TA3 irons - first set I paid for myself. 

Mizuno MX-23’s

Ping I25’s

Srixon z585’s

Titleist T100s (2021 model) on order. 

I tend to keep my irons for a while but have gone through 10-15 putters the last 5 years and countless Drivers. 

Was given a Wilson starter set at age 9

Wilson FG-17 blades were handed down to me once I was tall enough to hit them

Picked out my first set - some kind of Cobra cast iron at age 15 that I had a hell of a time hitting

Was given a set of Warrior, yuck, game improvement irons that were actually far better than the Cobras

Swapped those to a forged Titleist CB in the early 2000s

Spent time away from the game in the late 2000s, then got back into it with a fresh set of Ping G15 irons figuring I needed the help

Loved those irons for quite awhile before getting more serious about playing again.  Decided at that time to give blades another go with Mizuno MP68s

Played those blades for awhile before deciding to get fit for a new set of MP20 blades. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

2018 Rogues (see signature), because I play and practice way less then I'd want to, and therefore play the most amount of iron I can stand to look at. Which is essentially GI one step below super-shovel or hybrid-iron.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 3HL 16.5°

Cobra LTDx 7W 21.5°

Callaway Rogue CF18 5H 24°

Callaway Rogue CF18 6i-PW

Cleveland CBX2 49° + 54°, CBX Full Face 58°

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black #3

Vice Pro

Arccos

Went from players distance (Apex 19) to players cavity back (i210). Got sick of hot spot heaters and low spin shots going over the green on what felt like similar swings. i210s are much more consistent but still forgiving. They're way shorter - like two clubs shorter (retrospec lofts in i210 don't help me, ha) - but I don't care because I know what distance these will go. Tried to select the most forgiving but consistent iron out there and I'm happy enough with the result. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

I play blades. 'cause my life is dope and I do dope s***. 

In reality, I had a set of M2's when I first got back into golf, traded them immediately because I didn't like the look or feel of them at all. Even though at the time I was shooting 100+ I went for a set of players cavity MP-54's, loved everything about them. Over the next year or two my scores absolutely plummeted because I was actively practicing and playing more. Fiddled around with some blades and preferred the look, bought some, my scores didn't change at all. So figured why not go with what I like the look of since it doesn't change things for the worse.

Im 40, been playing for 25yrs, about 20yrs of caring, trying to improve and play good golf...

1st set was a set of Wilsons I bought at a play-it-again, set of Lynx, 1st "nice" set I bought new Cleveland TA2 (needed something a little more forgiving looking back on it), Titleist AP2, TEE combo, Beg Hogan blades (came out 2015ish ft. worth maybe), Mizuno MP18 combo, Callaway CF16 combo (steelfiber shafts) the best set I've owned still got them but are for sale, bought another set of TA2 on ebay last fall for $100 just for fun to have a set of blades (they call them micro-cavity but theres not much help on poor strikes) and currently have a set of PXG 0211st (5-G are st and then 5iron in the 0211dc bent 1* weak, accra s shafts) because the black friday deal was too good to pass up and after playing the TA2 in the fall wanted to play blades moving forward.

I'm a 3 handicap, prolly get back to a scratch if I practice/play more, I play 36 on the weekends and maybe get in a 9 during the week, pretty solid all around, putting has become the best part of my game, I want irons that can do a little of everything, a little forgiveness of poor strikes, little bit of shaping/flighting when needed but the more "player" looking the better

I currently play Ping i210s due to comfort with the head size.  My iron striking was never great, but not awful.  As a junior I had Ben Hogan BH-5 cavity backs, which were a little oversized, but not like the super game improvement shovels of today.  Then I got my dad's hand-me-down i10s for several years, and I got comfortable with a head size like that.   I decided a couple years ago I wanted to buy my own irons, and did a "fitting" (I say "fitting", because it was a crappy fitting, basically a supervised demo which I got a refund for) at Golf Town.  I figured something like SIM Max would be the way to go with the added forgiveness.  I had tried my friends m6 irons, and were impressed with how hot the ball came off the face, so tried SIM Max, Cobra Speedzone and Ping G410.  I hit the Sim Max well, but almost too well.  The 7i was going 200 regularly, while I hit my i10s like 180.  I also couldn't get over how chunky the heads were.  They were visually off-putting, as the i10s I had were a fairly compact cavity back.  Ended up asking for something a bit smaller, and tried some Callaway Apex Pros (which I hit well) and i210 (which I hit well, and loved the feel of).  i210 gave me the spin I was looking for, and distance I was expecting (somewhere around that 180 mark).  When you flush an i210, they feel incredible.

Ended up keeping an eye out for i210s on ebay, and found a set someone was selling for $600USD, so pulled the trigger.  Problem is, the old i10s I had were Purple Dots, but I thought they were blue and looked for Blue dots (Purple no longer exists).  Got re-fitted and determined I need orange dots (2* flat vs 1* upright).  Luckily Ping doesn't charge for this service, so was recently able to send them off for adjustments.  

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

Basically I want as much forgiveness and as little added distance as possible... Swing speed and launch are high enough that I CAN play anything, but my ball striking isn't that great...

I'm not even sure what category my irons fall into... Srixon Zx5s.

I was basically looking for a GI cavity back iron with tungsten in the toe and none of the speed slot or hollow design. 

As I'm learning more about my launch, I'm wondering if I should try blades, though. (ZX5s launch lower than the 7s, which is good!)

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

MP..mp63 3 years ago replaced Hogan Apex Plus that replace mp60 that replaces S58 Ping that replaces Hogan BH Grind.

Now using mp62 a lot,easy,reliable,a good mix,not quite a blade but a bit more feel than my J33 Cb Bridgestones from 7,8 years ago that i assumed would be easy to improve on.How wrong i was.So the 62,63 design look(also j33,j36,j38,j40) matches that of several very stylish DTC designs easily available at Sub70,NewLevel so thats Just Great!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I've played blades, player's distance, and GI clubs.

I currently play GI clubs. I like that you can get reasonable results from less than ideal swings. In other words, I like the ease of use. The potential distances manufacturers have achieved in GI irons are somewhat ridiculous but the GI irons do launch high so they do stop.  The distance factor is an aid in that I can hit a shorter, more controllable, club, e.g., 7 iron instead of 5 iron.

I tried the player's distance for a while but I thought they were just an appeasement to ego; I thought essentially they were fake blades and I didn't want to play blades.

Golf for me is like playing guitar or the piano. To be good at it, I have to play and practice a lot. So, that's why I don't play blades anymore but I do like the look of them. Maybe when I retire I will go back to them. For now, I play the best GI looking irons that I can find. 

• Like 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

My fitting determined what clubs I ended up with. Hit nearly every manufacturer and style. My numbers were the most consistent with the 790s. Will get re-fit in a year or two to see if any things changed, as I was just getting into golf again when I was originally fit.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

By my memory I've played the following: 

Nike TW Blades
Nike VR Player's CB
Titleist 690.MB

Titleist ZM

Mizuno MP-53 (CB)

Mizuno MP-37 (MB)

Mizuno MP-64 (CB)

Titleist 714 MB/CB

Titleist 716 MB

Titleist 716 CB

Srixon z785 (CB)

Lots of cool sets in there. It never really occurred to me to try something "more forgiving." I don't think it matters that much what equipment you use until you're really precisely controlling the ball. I think most agree with that. So 80 and above, just play what thrills you. 

My approach these days is not so much based on what I enjoy as protecting / optimizing my score. Perimeter weighting has become a mainstay as have lighter 120g shafts versus the 130g I used to use. I'm still in the "player's" category but I prefer a friendly player's iron. 

As I've said openly, it's not always fun playing golf these days. Success and personal improvement is a grind. And that's achieved by accepting things won't be as enjoyable as you ratchet up the workload & expectation.

Having a million dollars is fun. Getting there is not, LOL.

Increasing the concerns during practice, sucks to be frank. There will only ever be more and more boxes to check if you're trying to improve and hold that skill where it is.

Still, I'd rather play my best and have it not be as fun. I've got my whole life to play for fun. At this stage I want to beat my friends in our money games. TBH, that's my only initiative. Fun comes from having good company on the course and drinks afterwards. Chatting on here is fun. But fun isn't really playing the same game I've already been playing for 12+ years.

What I'm saying is that it's about people--others rather than yourself. If you're always paying attention to your own shots / game it becomes a headache. If you don't enjoy the social element of the game then the game itself won't mean much to you after awhile. You've got to have a better reason to play than that initial joy. That burns out. Your love of golf has to be deeper. Same is true in relationships. It's not always going to feel like it does when you're 16, LOL.

Golf is a challenge and I enjoy that. But I don't find a thrill in hitting a good shot the way I used to because golf is only about the next shot. That realization is depressing TBH, but that's the game. That's life. You can't live in the past. That's the lesson. Pat yourself on the back and move on. 

To that end, I feel like I try to play what equipment golf tells me to play. While I haven't gone to hybrids, I enjoy more loft on fairway metals. Gone is the 13-deg 3w for instance. Gone is the 2-iron. I just try and find a good balance. I try to play stuff I know won't actively hurt me. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

When I first started I had a hand-me-down set of mismatched clubs.  After my ~15 hiatus, I decided to buy a matching set of irons and opted for a set of Eye 2s.  Played them for a year and a half and still like them, but I wanted something new and shiny.  Opted for the PXG 021 STs.  Probably over my playing ability, but they sure do look good for a great price.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

A lot of trial and error for me.  Got started on my blade track because I hit them better than my own irons.  Tested a LOT of different clubs over the years, of all types, and the ones I use are the irons with which I get the best scores.

As for why Ram over others....  When I made my first blade purchase, I spent a couple hours going over clubs at 2nd Swing.  Liked the Golden Rams the best, and I've been off an running since.  Somewhat ironically, as the irons I demoed that got me started in this direction were MP-14.  I was reluctant to spend the extra for a used set of MP-14s, so Golden Rams became the choice.

(amusingly, I bought a set of MS-11s a half dozen years later)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Back in the 1970s I played S-flex blades - that's all we had. And, I broke 80 a couple of times. Went to perimeter-weighted S-flex in 1994, and pretty much Game Improvement cavities in R-flex since 2008 (I was age 58 at time).

I grew up playing steel shafts in everything, and am still a bit handsy in my swing. I have no problem squaring up the clubface. But, since 2008 most changes have been related to lighter shafts. My latest - MAX irons and reshafted wedges are all graphite.

I have tried SGI irons, but the short irons balloon like crazy. I've tried Players irons, but for the most part they launch low and short.

So... GI irons with lighter shafts give me the best strike and consistency. (Players Distance gives slightly more length but a less precise distance yardstick.)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I currently play Miura MB001 4-PW.     MB

Before that was 

MP-64       CB

AP2 (original)    CB

Hogan FTX    combo set

While none of these are forgiving irons by any means, I didn't notice much drop in forgiveness when I switched to the Miuras. 

I switched to the MBs because to me it is the ultimate end game. 

Plus they just look really really cool.

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

In 2001 I was fitted into some Infiniti irons that were "oversize" CB. Not because of my tremendous skill, of course, but I think those were what we considered "forgiving" back in the day. Cavity back was GI lol 😉

Last year after coming back to the game in 2020 after almost a decade layoff, I decided I needed something new. I have enough speed and hit the ball well enough (when I make the sweet spot) to launch it high and long, so I wanted to avoid GI or SGI designs that are built to aid launch. But I did want as much forgiveness as I could get with that caveat, so I went with irons that are more considered "players distance". 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

My first set of irons were Cobra S3s. I picked them up a year or two after release on clearance for $299. I was a beginner golfer, playing less than 4 rounds a year and the price was good, I liked the look and they got good reviews for a GI iron. A few years later I won a set new iron shafts, but was hesitant to put them in my clubs in case I disliked them. So I searched the BST and low and behold there are S3 Pro heads on the first page. I pulled the trigger knowing that I couldnt break 100 at the time and had no business hitting those clubs, and couldnt afford to lose the distance that the weaker lofts would provide. But the price was good, and they were sexy. Black pure pro grips and we were in business.

Off to the range, and I warmed up with my gamers. Found my usual push off the toe. 7 iron at 31* is going 145. I grab the Pro at 34* and I'm thinking I hope this doesnt rattle my bones and go under 130. Flushed, 145. Next few shots are slight misses but you can feel exactly where on the face. Distance loss isnt terrible. Soon enough I was getting dialed in and routinely hitting the ball as high and far as I had ever hit it. And thats when they went in the bag. And I've been hitting players irons ever since. Of course I've worked on my game to get to single digits, and most of that is in technique and not equipment, but that was a light buld moment for me. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

MB blades.  I'm a picker and the small head and narrow sole work for me.  I've tried many other game improvement irons and they just don't work. 

I don't care about distance - I carry 14 clubs for that.

Edited by BMC

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I have a neuromuscular disease. I don’t always feel great and my irons help me shoot decently. Mid 80s mostly.

• Thanks 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I like supporting small businesses that also make pretty sweet hardware. 

When I decided my 20+ year old bag needed a refresh in '20 when I decided to play for real. I bought Nike because they are local and they made some nice stuff. Then I got on small shops and started talking to a few. Decided that's where my money should go, so it does. 

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray