ZX7 vs Mizuno Pro 223

casey_0507

Curious if anyone has any in depth comparison between these two heads. I hit both a bit today comparing 7 iron but only 10 or so shots each. 223 was a bit longer blade length and then thinner top line.  

I'm fairly high launch with irons, both at 32* with X100, ZX7 std length and 223 +1/2". 223 was 21* launch 6200 spin and ZX7 was 23* launch and 5800 spin. Carry on both were 175ish. 

IMO ZX7 had a slightly better feel but both were very good. 

Curious to see others opinions on the short and long irons and how they compare. 

• Like 1

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Can’t say much for the ZX7never hit one but heard nothing but good things. I did just buy the 223 and they are great !! Coming from the 921forged. Gained 7 yards some had to do with the shaft change. Went from the KBS 130 $taper to the ProjectX LZ 6.0. 
I was really impressed with the 223 IMO

I just did a fitting this week, my experience was similar to yours. At address they both look very similar, enough so that I didn't really have a preference.

The 223s definitely felt hotter off the face, spun somewhere around 200-300rpms less, but overall pretty negligible.

I ended up going 223s.

• Like 2

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

Give the new T100S a try as well. I went from ZX7 to the T100S and not looking back. For my swing it was better turf interaction and a better feel. Gained some performance as well. I also now prefer the smaller clubhead and anything else feels "big" and clunky. 

• Like 3

WITB:

Woods: Ping G430 LST, Ping G430Max 3w, Ping G430 3Hybrid (20°) / Titleist T200 2iron

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150 (6-GW), T200 (4-5)

Wedges: 54D12°, 60M08° Wedges

Putter: SC Newport 2.5+ 34"

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, maximusppl said:

Give the new T100S a try as well. I went from ZX7 to the T100S and not looking back. For my swing it was better turf interaction and a better feel. Gained some performance as well. I also now prefer the smaller clubhead and anything else feels "big" and clunky. 

Hit the T100s and liked them, but they are a small footprint and we're spinning more than the ZX7 which wasn't good for me. 

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

5 hours ago, maximusppl said:

Agree. I accidentally ran into some Titleist 712mb’s for practically nothing. Played around with them a bit and yes everything seems “big and clunky” now. I also went t100. 223 looks great though.

I’ll be following this thread for sure.

Picked up ZX7’s last season and have been very good so far…love the looks, feel and control! But interested to hear how they compare vs the Pro 223’s from those that have hit both, and always keeping an eye out for the next best thing.

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

5 hours ago, BallerNate said:

I’ll be following this thread for sure.

Picked up ZX7’s last season and have been very good so far…love the looks, feel and control! But interested to hear how they compare vs the Pro 223’s from those that have hit both, and always keeping an eye out for the next best thing.

It's a bug for a lot of golfers....looking out for the next best thing 🙂

• Like 2

WITB:

Woods: Ping G430 LST, Ping G430Max 3w, Ping G430 3Hybrid (20°) / Titleist T200 2iron

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150 (6-GW), T200 (4-5)

Wedges: 54D12°, 60M08° Wedges

Putter: SC Newport 2.5+ 34"

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, maximusppl said:

It's a bug for a lot of golfers....looking out for the next best thing 🙂

Sure is!! I bought 92 different clubs last year, so I’ve got the sickness bad, Lol!!

Loved the feel, control, and forgiveness of the ZX7’s from the time I spent with them. The only knock on them for me is that I tended to fade them a lot more than I did with my previous Z785’s and ‘17 TM P770’s, so not sure if that was a swing issue or a club issue. We’ll see in the Spring.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Sure is!! I bought 92 different clubs last year, so I’ve got the sickness bad, Lol!!

Loved the feel, control, and forgiveness of the ZX7’s from the time I spent with them. The only knock on them for me is that I tended to fade them a lot more than I did with my previous Z785’s and ‘17 TM P770’s, so not sure if that was a swing issue or a club issue. We’ll see in the Spring.

Same shafts?

16 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Same shafts?

I had Modus Tour 120 S in both my ZX7’s and Z785, and Project X Rifle 6.0 in my ‘17 TM P770’s.

I got fitted for the Project X LS 6.0 shafts, or KBS Tour 120’s, but ended up in Modus 120’s because those were on back order at the time.

• Thanks 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

20 minutes ago, Jjones519a said:

I have ZX7 and want to try the 223.  I'm a mizuno man at heart coming from 10 + years of MP52 / 53s after that 

My prediction is a bit more forgiveness in longer irons for 223, but am worried about gappings in short irons for 223. 

Hoping to find a full set to try out in the next couple months. 

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

My plan is to purchase a set and play them as is for a bit. I'd want to get them on the launch monitor and put them through a few gapping session to get baseline. Once baseline was established I'll dial in loft/lie as need for each iron individually. 

If I were to order them adjusted, I'd likely do something like below. Keep the 4-5 strong get me closer bombers, pick up a few revs and a bit of height in the mid irons, and strengthen the wedges a touch to get 4* gaps. I like 5* gaps with the scoring wedges as it limits overlap within partial shots. 

image.png.0e5b4c0a634dddcd657dfb3fce4d6a9b.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

I am going to wait until my 223’s come in before I assume any loft adjustments. I would think Mizuno did their homework and got them dialed in pretty good.

Hope so. Two reviews I've seen on TXG and 2nd Swing been a gap of 48-52 yds between the PW and 7 iron which seems excessive. 

Would definitely like to hear your experience though

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

7 hours ago, BallerNate said:

I had the same experience with draw vs fade tendency with the 785 vs zx7.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GJR10 said:

I had the same experience with draw vs fade tendency with the 785 vs zx7.

Good to know it’s not just me. I only switched from the 785’s to the ZX7’s at the end of the season in September, so didn’t get a ton of time with them to get a full grasp of what they can do.

Definitely found the 785’s to be more straight/Draw biased and the ZX7’s to be more Fade biased, and the 785’s were probably more accurate for me on good shots.

The biggest difference though was that the ZX7’s seem to be much more forgiving and less punishing on mishits though. Pros and Cons with everything right?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I play 22-46 in 4* gaps

If I do that with my 223s I will be bending the 7i 2* weak, and not changing the PW. Agree with @NZ315need to do extensive testing first

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

7 hours ago, BallerNate said:

I had Modus Tour 120 S in both my ZX7’s and Z785, and Project X Rifle 6.0 in my ‘17 TM P770’s.

I got fitted for the Project X LS 6.0 shafts, or KBS Tour 120’s, but ended up in Modus 120’s because those were on back order at the time.

If you were fit into PX LS 6.0’s and gamed px 6.0’s in past set, Modus 120 feels VERY different. I mean it’s always dependent on an individual’s swing DNA, but i assume u put some load on the shaft and maybe have a late release due to what you were fitted into. I struggled with Modus 120 leaking some shots to the right for sure in stiff flex, x stiff was a bit better but just not best shaft for my swing. I was fit into px 6.0’s years ago. I preferred the more linear feel of PX shaft to know where club head was, with modus 120’s it felt like i was leaving the blade open on impact.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Good to know it’s not just me. I only switched from the 785’s to the ZX7’s at the end of the season in September, so didn’t get a ton of time with them to get a full grasp of what they can do.

Definitely found the 785’s to be more straight/Draw biased and the ZX7’s to be more Fade biased, and the 785’s were probably more accurate for me on good shots.

The biggest difference though was that the ZX7’s seem to be much more forgiving and less punishing on mishits though. Pros and Cons with everything right?

Yep. Both are great irons and I played the 785 for a long time. But I think the zx7 are probably more accurate for me cuz I tend to pull hook irons when my swing is off

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KevCannon said:

If you were fit into PX LS 6.0’s and gamed px 6.0’s in past set, Modus 120 feels VERY different. I mean it’s always dependent on an individual’s swing DNA, but i assume u put some load on the shaft and maybe have a late release due to what you were fitted into. I struggled with Modus 120 leaking some shots to the right for sure in stiff flex, x stiff was a bit better but just not best shaft for my swing. I was fit into px 6.0’s years ago. I preferred the more linear feel of PX shaft to know where club head was, with modus 120’s it felt like i was leaving the blade open on impact.

Yeah I agree, definitely very different feeling shafts for sure.

I wish I had given my ‘17 P770 w/ PX Rifle 6.0 shafts more time, but basically I bought them before getting fitted and had adjusted them to the wrong specs (only had them around 2mths).

At 6’7 I learned in my fitting that I need my irons to be +1.5” in length and 2* Upright, so it was either pay to get all the adjustments and re-grips done over a 2nd time to the P770’s, or sell them and start over with a new iron set.

Love the feel and smoothness of the Modus 120’s, but have had mixed results with them in the 785’s and ZX7’s for sure.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, GJR10 said:

Yep. Both are great irons and I played the 785 for a long time. But I think the zx7 are probably more accurate for me cuz I tend to pull hook irons when my swing is off

Gotcha, makes sense. My miss is a slice/block right when I’m off, so playing irons that start right to begin with can be a challenge. 

The 785’s were definitely straighter for me, but the mishits were absolutely ruthless and punishing.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I've got both 223's and zx7's on order.... From what I remember when I hit both, 223's had slightly faster ball speed. Both were comparable spin

ZX7's have a thicker topline

• Like 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

On 1/24/2022 at 6:09 AM, BallerNate said:

Gotcha, makes sense. My miss is a slice/block right when I’m off, so playing irons that start right to begin with can be a challenge. 

The 785’s were definitely straighter for me, but the mishits were absolutely ruthless and punishing.

i compared the Modus 130, 120 and 105. I loved the 105, liked the 130, and hated the 120. 

The 120 were just awful for me. Good Luck from one shaft ho to the other

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 1/24/2022 at 12:57 AM, DaRiz said:

I play 22-46 in 4* gaps

If I do that with my 223s I will be bending the 7i 2* weak, and not changing the PW. Agree with @NZ315need to do extensive testing first

Just rewatched the 2nd swing review. It was mentioned of the large gap between 7-pw they responded to a comment in the review. Tim the swinger had about 15yard gap between. That was at his swing speed he thought that a slower speed would lessen the gap.

He was hitting the PW 138/140 my old set 825pro I was getting 145/150. I will need some time to adjust to the distance