To play AJGA or Not play AJGA

jkpgolf

14 minutes ago, Pinewood Golfer said:

I really don’t mean it ugly but the AJGA exists because of mindsets like this. The reality is, the AJGA only benefits those really really high level players that DO get in that “inner circle” you reference and get to go play kick a** venues amongst themselves. 

Everybody else is funding it. And the $583,000 salary of their CEO

It does seem to be over the top.  My son won a Jr All Star and got a gaudy Ping bag that says 2022 Champion on it 4 different places.  I can't help but laugh every time I see it.  And thanks to the Ninja tour sponsorship, he gets to pick out something from their catalog.  I could do without the swag and just charge less in entry fees.  TaylorMade in particular seems to pumping a lot of money into AJGA in a losing battle to keep players from ever playing a Titleist.

I see they are playing the Wyndham Cup at Old Sandwich this week, and the participants get 40 Rolex bonus points just for showing up.  The rich get richer, as you said...

13 minutes ago, wegobomber31 said:

It does seem to be over the top.  My son won a Jr All Star and got a gaudy Ping bag that says 2022 Champion on it 4 different places.  I can't help but laugh every time I see it.  And thanks to the Ninja tour sponsorship, he gets to pick out something from their catalog.  I could do without the swag and just charge less in entry fees.  TaylorMade in particular seems to pumping a lot of money into AJGA in a losing battle to keep players from ever playing a Titleist.

I see they are playing the Wyndham Cup at Old Sandwich this week, and the participants get 40 Rolex bonus points just for showing up.  The rich get richer, as you said...

If your son is winning AJGA events, even a JAS, then you don’t actually “need” the AJGA. 

If part of their schedule works for you, great!  If it doesn’t, so be it. Go play the Southern Junior, the Bubba Conlee, qualify for the US Jr or the PGA Jr. play well enough in other events so that you get invited to the Scott Robertson, the Jones Cup, the Junior Heritage, etc. 

you wanna know what the AJGA is all about?  I believe it was Brett Roberts 3 years ago (I may have the name wrong) Had performed well enough in non-AJGA BUT Rolex ranked events to be #1 in Rolex rankings. He had never joined AJGA and never played one of their events. They emailed him to inform him that if he didn’t pay their $250 membership fee they would remove him from the rankings. 

because they're in it for the kids….

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, wegobomber31 said:

My son is a 2026 playing AJGA's for the first time this summer.  It can be somewhat maddening trying to navigate and get into the events, especially now that you don't 'spend' PBE like in years past.  We're in TX which has lots of AJGA events, but many of them you have to be fully exempt to have any chance to get in.

So we've found ourselves traveling a little more (St Louis, South Dakota, Delaware) than I would hope this year with the goal of being able to stay closer to home next summer. I'm sure you could carve out a decent path to college golf without the AJGA, but I think you're facing an uphill climb without it.  It seems if you can crack the top 50-60 Rolex, then you are in this inner circle of invitationals and events where it's mostly the same kids playing each other each week. And a lot of the non-AJGA invitationals have at least some of their exemption criteria based on AJGA performance.

If you are playing at Dupont (in Wilmington) you will enjoy the course.  Very nice practice facilities a great classic style course.  I never played it but I've walked it close to 10 times and my son really likes it.

26 minutes ago, Noles said:

If you are playing at Dupont (in Wilmington) you will enjoy the course.  Very nice practice facilities a great classic style course.  I never played it but I've walked it close to 10 times and my son really likes it.

He is Playing DuPont. It looks very nice from the aerials. 

(we’re also playing Merion and Stonewall on the same trip, so it should be a great week!)

12 hours ago, Pinewood Golfer said:

I really don’t mean it ugly but the AJGA exists because of mindsets like this. The reality is, the AJGA only benefits those really really high level players that DO get in that “inner circle” you reference and get to go play kick a** venues amongst themselves. 

Everybody else is funding it. And the $583,000 salary of their CEO

^^^^^  This

I have had my say about AJGA and this is 100% spot on.  I have said it much differently than this and still believe that AJGA is a waste of time for 90% of the female golfers.  AJGA girl's fields right now are horrible as they are getting in with very minimal stars.  

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

12 hours ago, Pinewood Golfer said:

If your son is winning AJGA events, even a JAS, then you don’t actually “need” the AJGA. 

If part of their schedule works for you, great!  If it doesn’t, so be it. Go play the Southern Junior, the Bubba Conlee, qualify for the US Jr or the PGA Jr. play well enough in other events so that you get invited to the Scott Robertson, the Jones Cup, the Junior Heritage, etc. 

you wanna know what the AJGA is all about?  I believe it was Brett Roberts 3 years ago (I may have the name wrong) Had performed well enough in non-AJGA BUT Rolex ranked events to be #1 in Rolex rankings. He had never joined AJGA and never played one of their events. They emailed him to inform him that if he didn’t pay their $250 membership fee they would remove him from the rankings. 

because they're in it for the kids….

Brett Roberts did pretty well for himself.  Kid is a stud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

^^^^^  This

I have had my say about AJGA and this is 100% spot on.  I have said it much differently than this and still believe that AJGA is a waste of time for 90% of the female golfers.  AJGA girl's fields right now are horrible as they are getting in with very minimal stars.  

Looking at 4 upcoming AJGAs and the girls all had to have more stars than the boys to get in.

(tulsa, Stan Utley, UHY, Colorado)

you are against ajga but I will maintain the other side of the argument that it has been great for us.  It’s well ran, good competition, and we have seen some cool courses and places.  It’s been far from a “waste of time”.

56 minutes ago, Jkhogbear said:

Looking at 4 upcoming AJGAs and the girls all had to have more stars than the boys to get in.

you are against ajga but I will maintain the other side of the argument that it has been great for us.  It’s well ran, good competition, and we have seen some cool courses and places.  It’s been far from a “waste of time”.

We’re enjoying it too so far. Usually we try to loop in some other golf with friends that I have in the area. So it’s just a buddies trip with some tournament golf mixed in. 

1 hour ago, Jkhogbear said:

Against AJGA?  You again are putting words in my mouth.  Anyone is free to do as they want.  My opinion is that AJGA is a waste of time for 90% of female golfers.  Probably a waste of time for 95% of male golfers.  However, as long as there is a belief that AJGA gives you more of an opportunity to play at a top 50 D1 school, people will always chase that dream.

Well run events for sure.  Not always the best selection of courses.

I am glad it is good for you.  I didn't say it was bad for us.  I just don't think it is the be all end all with the price tag that comes with it to play the events.

I will add, there is a female whose dad who frequents this site getting into events with 3 stars.  Initial field stars are high, but the alternate list is getting down to bare minimum stars.

16 hours ago, Pinewood Golfer said:

This is exactly what my Godchild does.  He won an all star and finished in the top 5 and is fully exempt.  However, he plays in invitationals around the country and will only play an AJGA if he doesn't have something else to do.

• Like 3

All Ping

20 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

I will add, there is a female whose dad who frequents this site getting into events with 3 stars.  Initial field stars are high, but the alternate list is getting down to bare minimum stars

Great example to say “girls fields are horrible” by providing one example of a late withdrawal.   Nearly everything you say about AJGA is negative.  I’m just trying to show others that it’s not the case. 

1 hour ago, Jkhogbear said:

Great example to say “girls fields are horrible” by providing one example of a late withdrawal.   Nearly everything you say about AJGA is negative.  I’m just trying to show others that it’s not the case. 

The guys fields unless a big open during the summer aren't much better.  Guys are getting down to 25th to 30th alternate.  Girls getting down to 15-20.  These aren't late withdrawals either.  So yeah.  Horrible may not have been the correct term, but the fields for AJGA have gradually been getting weaker.  I think the fields would look worse had they not stopped the 'usage and loss" of stars after every competition. This has been on ongoing phenomena since Covid and getting worse.

Haven't said one negative thing about AJGA.  If you can play AJGA more power to you.  I am only speaking in realistic terms so you can take it any way you want.  Doesn't bother or hurt me what you think.  Call it the "Fan Boy" wearing Coke Bottle Glasses because you think it helped your daughter.  While it may have helped her, there are other events she could have played in that would have helped her as well.  The AJGA serves it's purpose and they run good events.  Never said it doesn't.  It is still an organization that helps very few and reaps the benefits from those paying a fee that can't get into their events.  If you are a Californian, Texan, or Floridian there is no reason to play AJGA,  I would argue that Georgia, the Carolina's, Arizona, maybe Alabama, and Tennessee doesn't need the AJGA either.

Pinewood said it best in his statement.

This happens every year in the summer as there are more tournaments.  It’s nothing new.  Early tournaments had near fully exempt players having trouble getting in.  You are implying that that the tour is going downhill or something when it’s something that happens every summer.   We’ve played plenty of high level non-ajgas.   Those are great too.  

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Noles said:

How was the trip?

Merion was everything you’d expect and then some and Stonewall was a lot of fun as well. My son didn’t do as well as he hoped in the tournament but made up a lot of ground on the last day. 

The good news is last week he was able to get fully exempt status from a top 5 finish in the Texas Jr Am so that simplifies our plans tremendously for next year. We can stay much closer to home. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The quality of AJGA tournaments seems have gone down hill this year.

i am guessing they have a hard time getting interns to run them and need to make up lost fundraising they never got from covid.

If AJGA keeps down this path it not going be the tour everyone wants to play in a few years.  It used to be the best players got in now it players who collect stars and plays the ajga game gets in.  Lots of good players never get in now that stars never get spent.

I think the best thing you can do is play all over the place.   Play AJGA when it on a good course and nearby but not something to run across the country because you got in last minute.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

A friend's son played the one in Stanford recently.  He did the monday qualifier and made it into the tournament.  I told him congrats and asked how it was going.  He said it was the biggest waste of time and money ever.  lol!!  Its worth mentioning the kid is only 12 and probably drives it 210-220.  The leaders all hit it in the 280-300 range.  

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 5:10 PM, kekoa said:

A friend's son played the one in Stanford recently.  He did the monday qualifier and made it into the tournament.  I told him congrats and asked how it was going.  He said it was the biggest waste of time and money ever.  lol!!  Its worth mentioning the kid is only 12 and probably drives it 210-220.  The leaders all hit it in the 280-300 range.  

The sad part is a few years ago prior to covid AJGA tournaments were great. 

I know they always had issues but the fields were great and even more important officials actually understood the rules of golf.

The official at the last one we played had to call another official on if there is a penalty in a hazard. 

To be fair AJGA isn’t the only tour with officials that are clueless. It seems like this year a lot tours are having problems hiring people to run a decent tournament.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 2:10 PM, kekoa said:

Kekoa

I am not calling you out, perhaps theres been some miscommunication. My 14 yr old boy made it to the Stanford Junior All stars main event via a playoff in the qualifier. But he had felt a twinge in his wrist earlier and we gave up our spot to another boy in the end because we just weren't sure we would be able to compete for the next 3 consecutive days.

To the best of my recollection and in looking at the qualifying result/leaderboard (beneath), there is not a 12 yr old who made it to the field via the qualifier. My son is 2026 and was equal youngest of the qualifiers.

Screenshot_20220828-145153_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by Tugu

11 hours ago, Tugu said:

Kekoa

I am not calling you out, perhaps theres been some miscommunication. My 14 yr old boy made it to the Stanford Junior All stars main event via a playoff in the qualifier. But he had felt a twinge in his wrist earlier and we gave up our spot to another boy in the end because we just weren't sure we would be able to compete for the next 3 consecutive days.

To the best of my recollection and in looking at the qualifying result/leaderboard (beneath), there is not a 12 yr old who made it to the field via the qualifier. My son is 2026 and was equal youngest of the qualifiers.

I think he meant the PING AN BANK JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

18 hours ago, Tugu said:

Kekoa

If you look at the kid class of 2028  (T19)- he qualified.  Not sure how it works, but I'm going off what his dad said and fact that he played in the actual tournament.   His name has an asterisk next to it.

8 hours ago, leezer99 said:

I think he meant the PING AN BANK JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP.

The qualifier for PING AN bank AJGA was actually held at El Prado in Chino hills. My boy qualified in a 2 out of 7 playoff. Another who qualified was a 2027. That kid's home course is Mission Viejo (a brute of a track for junior golfers). No one younger were in the field.

Reason I post is to inject some facts in these discussions. Will put together something detailed for parents in a couple of days. We sure could have used it when we started this journey a couple of months ago.

P.s My 2 boys are now fully exempt, a T2 in the older ones first event and a T4 for the younger in his second took care of the headache and costs of qualifying.

Edited by Tugu

30 minutes ago, kekoa said:

If you look at the kid class of 2028  (T19)- he qualified.  Not sure how it works, but I'm going off what his dad said and fact that he played in the actual tournament.   His name has an asterisk next to it.

I see that child. The asterisk means he had already qualified for the main tournament. If one is interested, they can find if said child has exempt status (win or top 5) or entered main field via the amount of stars they have (the amount needed can vary depending on demand from quality of players).

The qualifiers usually take 5-8 kids out of a field of 70+. The child who finished T19 may have felt playing the qualifier useless because he 1/ Didnt finish high enough to gain more stars 2/ Spent money to essentially play a practice round that was already included for anyone already in the field 3/ Finished T39 at +16 in the main event, which is no small feat for a 12 yr old because the course is not a pitch and putt (but try telling this to some parents🙁).

Importantly, one needs to be solo top 5 on average to get through the qualifiers. 

Edited by Tugu

13 minutes ago, Tugu said:

I see that child. The asterisk means he had already qualified for the main tournament. If one is interested, they can find if said child has exempt status (win or top 5) or entered main field via the amount of stars they have (the amount needed can vary depending on demand from quality of players).

The qualifiers usually take 5-8 kids out of a field of 70+. The child who finished T19 may have felt playing the qualifier useless because he 1/ Didnt finish high enough to gain more stars 2/ Spent money to essentially play a practice round that was already included for anyone already in the field 3/ Finished T39 at +16 in the main event, which is no small feat for a 12 yr old because the course is not a pitch and putt (but try telling this to some parents🙁).

Importantly, one needs to be solo top 5 on average to get through the qualifiers. 

Thanks for the info.  My son is no where near ajga level so I haven't looked into it much.  So again. You are saying this kid didn't have to even play the qualifier?  I can't wait to tell his dad this.  lol!!!

27 minutes ago, kekoa said:

Thanks for the info.  My son is no where near ajga level so I haven't looked into it much.  So again. You are saying this kid didn't have to even play the qualifier?  I can't wait to tell his dad this.  lol!!!

That is correct.  He was in the initial field.

https://www.ajga.org/tournaments/2022/ajga-junior-all-star-at-stanford/field