If you were king for a day, what one golf rule would you change?

12 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I can see Mr. Vincent at that point thinking 'oh well, I should have sunk those twofooters two days ago'.

No competition EVER has been so perfect played by the players that one single bad lie on the fairway would have been THE turning point. So stop whining.

:classic_laugh:

I see Mr Vincent as thinking "Darn, I never should've complained about that free relief".

No whining from me, especially since right now, not complaining about that rule in the first place, *I* would get free relief from those. :classic_biggrin:

As for a comp being perfect, there are times when a bad break can be overcome; like those missed 2 footers 2 days prior.

But on the last hole of a comp ? Not so much.

Timing, as "they" say, is everything. :classic_cool:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

If I were King, I'd eliminate ball in hand (aka lift, clean, and cheat). There are rules for casual water, etc., so let's just play it as it lies... especially if it ends up in a divot.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I think @nsxguy and @Mr. Bean should start referring to me by my proper title, i.e. HRH. 👑

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

10 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I think @nsxguy and @Mr. Bean should start referring to me by my proper title, i.e. HRH. 👑

Yep - it's King For A Day! 

You get to issue your edict and that's it!

Any interpretation or challenge should be done very quietly over ale at Ye Olde Tavern outside the hearing of the regent's many spies!

Although I guess it's only a rule for match play I'd reverse the order of play rule off the tee. Or perhaps give the player who has the honor the choice of going first or second.

Personally, I'd much rather tee off last (after I've already seen what my opponents ball did). I think that gives you an advantage, and if you've won the previous hole you should be the one getting the advantage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Oh, and btw, easily the number 1 complaint of pretty much all golfers is pace of play.

But "we" don't like E-5.

And oh, btw, can't the provisional end up just as lost as the original ball ? And then we hit another provisional ?

And, serious question btw, don't we have 3 minutes to find both the original and the 1st provisional ? Assuming the 2nd provisional finds the fairway that is - otherwise,,,,,,,,

And note "The Local Rule is not appropriate for competitions limited to highly skilled players (that is, professional competitions and elite amateur competitions)."

Pretty funny actually. :classic_laugh:

3 minutes each yes. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, jvincent said:

Hot Rod Hundley ? Is that you ? :classic_biggrin:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Hot Rod Hundley ? Is that you ? :classic_biggrin:

Her royal highness?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 1/24/2022 at 10:13 PM, MisterT said:

If I were King, I'd eliminate ball in hand (aka lift, clean, and cheat). There are rules for casual water, etc., so let's just play it as it lies... especially if it ends up in a divot.

That would shorten the playing season quite drastically in many places. The courses would be closed in spring for much longer to protect it as the clubs would need to let the bare areas to heal as opposed to simply allowing players to move their balls to areas where divot holes will cause much less long-term damage to the course.

Courses would also become unplayable after rain, especially in the autumn when essentially the whole course can be temporary water. Preferred lies allows you to move the ball away from the bottom of a puddle in the middle of the fairway to a much drier spot, albeit still in Temporary Water.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

1 hour ago, Halebopp said:

That would shorten the playing season quite drastically in many places. The courses would be closed in spring for much longer to protect it as the clubs would need to let the bare areas to heal as opposed to simply allowing players to move their balls to areas where divot holes will cause much less long-term damage to the course.

I thought the idea that LPC somehow protects the course had been buried a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bean said:

I thought the idea that LPC somehow protects the course had been buried a long time ago.

It's one of the reasons to use it, even mentioned in the introduction to the model local rule. It takes less time for a divot hole to heal and grass to regrow when it's on a healthy, grassy area than it would in a dead, bare part of the course. Or at least that's what I've been told.

Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

3 hours ago, Halebopp said:

Courses would also become unplayable after rain, especially in the autumn when essentially the whole course can be temporary water. Preferred lies allows you to move the ball away from the bottom of a puddle in the middle of the fairway to a much drier spot, albeit still in Temporary Water.

Having lived "up north" I can appreciate the seasonal impacts, but don't understand how Preferred Lies would help the divot holes cause less long-term damage? They player still needs to make a stroke somewhere, presumably leaving a divot that needs to heal.

Should the course be open if it is all temporary water? That seems to counter to your first point.

Edited to add: I live in Georgia and play most of my golf on public courses which contributed to my original post and perspective.

Edited by MisterT

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

1 hour ago, Halebopp said:

It's one of the reasons to use it, even mentioned in the introduction to the model local rule. It takes less time for a divot hole to heal and grass to regrow when it's on a healthy, grassy area than it would in a dead, bare part of the course. Or at least that's what I've been told.

I have been told that as well for decades but more and more voices have been heard to wonder what actual benefit would there be. If the grass roots are dead (which would be a shocking state for the course!!) it makes no difference. If they are not dead it makes no difference as the divot will be taken somewhere in any case.

The best way to protect the course is to use a piece of carpet to hit from.

If I were king for a day I’d decree that there would be a split in the “golf rules and etiquette” folder. I’d split it into 2 folders.

The first would be “golf rules questions”.

The second would be “etiquette questions, inane quandaries, and repeat topics”. 

As an example, this thread would qualify for the second folder because it satisfies “inane quandaries” and “repeat topics”. 

3 hours ago, MisterT said:

Having lived "up north" I can appreciate the seasonal impacts, but don't understand how Preferred Lies would help the divot holes cause less long-term damage? They player still needs to make a stroke somewhere, presumably leaving a divot that needs to heal.

Should the course be open if it is all temporary water? That seems to counter to your first point.

Edited to add: I live in Georgia and play most of my golf on public courses which contributed to my original post and perspective.

See my other response, the divot hole heals faster with healthy grass surrounding it. Similar to how you should make long lines at the range as opposed to ruining a large, rectangular area.

The courses do close occasionally (although very rarely) due to bad course conditions and I've played some rounds in conditions when I've thought the course should've been closed. But most rounds in October and November are pretty wet and a whole lot of golfers prefer to play in such conditions rather than not to play golf at all. Especially when they know the next change to play will be in April (excluding vacations abroad).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

I have been told that as well for decades but more and more voices have been heard to wonder what actual benefit would there be. If the grass roots are dead (which would be a shocking state for the course!!) it makes no difference. If they are not dead it makes no difference as the divot will be taken somewhere in any case.

The best way to protect the course is to use a piece of carpet to hit from.

That's exactly why, except in the dryer areas in the UK, mats are becoming more prevalent.

Why would anyone want two divot holes if you don't need to have any?

18 hours ago, Augster said:

If I were king for a day I’d decree that there would be a split in the “golf rules and etiquette” folder. I’d split it into 2 folders.

The first would be “golf rules questions”.

The second would be “etiquette questions, inane quandaries, and repeat topics”. 

As an example, this thread would qualify for the second folder because it satisfies “inane quandaries” and “repeat topics”. 

So you’d kind of self quarantine ? lol.   Just kidding.  But on a serious note. The rules section would then be like the hogan sub forum.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If I were  king for a day …… I’d probably drastically shrink the driver (260cc ish ) head and cap length at 44.5.  Most other rules make sense to me.  Having a 46 inch  club with a head the size of my head , off a 4 inch tee does not.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Different Rules by Handicap

>30 - no restriction on trampoline effect, no ball illegal, first tee mulligans, maximum of 3 putts (do we really need a 32 handicap lining up their 4th putt?), and maybe a restriction on which tees you can play - lets speed up the beginners.  Ground your club anywhere, touch the sand, lift clean and place for anyone who can't break 110.

HCP 10-30.  Play any lost ball like lost in a red staked penalty area - drop and move on.  Also, whiffs are practice strokes.

All handicaps - you owe the group a drink if you don't check in with the starter 5 minutes before the tee time.

Golf Courses - mandated discounts if it's cart path only

• Like 2

Thought of new one.  I’d like to redo.  Lol.  Outlaw carts minus a medical flag.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

55 minutes ago, jordan2240 said:

To be clear, I'm referring to placing the club behind the ball at set up, not clearing sand away on your practice stroke ala Patrick Reed.

I understand that but how would you then distinguish placing the club behind the ball from pressing the sand down or clearing it out of the way with backswing?

There is a very good reason why it is not allowed to touch sand in a bunker before the stroke.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I understand that but how would you then distinguish placing the club behind the ball from pressing the sand down or clearing it out of the way with backswing?

There is a very good reason why it is not allowed to touch sand in a bunker before the stroke.

I'm thinking about the one tournament last year that I don't recall the name of where there were no bunkers, and grounding was allowed in any "sandy area".  I thought it worked well. Obviously if you ground the club and cause the lie to change, it should be penalized, but I'd suggest that policing that wouldn't be any worse than policing whether or not the club hit sand now.

1 hour ago, jordan2240 said:

I'm thinking about the one tournament last year that I don't recall the name of where there were no bunkers, and grounding was allowed in any "sandy area".  I thought it worked well. Obviously if you ground the club and cause the lie to change, it should be penalized, but I'd suggest that policing that wouldn't be any worse than policing whether or not the club hit sand now.

Do remember that waste areas are not raked during the round so you may have to hit your ball from a footprint. In bunkers there is no such danger (in pro comps). That makes a huge difference.

And once more, there is a very good reason why it is not allowed to touch sand in a bunker before the stroke. I also disagree with you about policing touching vs. improving the lie. It is relatively easy to see whether a club has touched the sand but it is much more difficult to evaluate how much sand may a player move before it is considered to be improving the conditions.

Edited by Mr. Bean

48 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Do remember that waste areas are not raked during the round so you may have to hit your ball from a footprint. In bunkers there is no such danger (in pro comps). That makes a huge difference.

And once more, there is a very good reason why it is not allowed to touch sand in a bunker before the stroke. I also disagree with you about policing touching vs. improving the lie. It is relatively easy to see whether a club has touched the sand but it is much more difficult to evaluate how much sand may a player move before it is considered to be improving the conditions.

Looking at additional information on that particular tournament, the sandy areas inside the ropes were raked prior to each round, and then could be raked at the discretion of the golfer afterward.  My take is that I'd rather see a golfer do what Reed did and not get penalized (he still had to hit a good shot) than have someone get penalized because the super slow mow shows them touching a grain of sand or two on the backswing.