How did you determine your "ideal" shaft length for irons?

RoyalMustang

I did a bunch of experimentation the other day: not all intentional, but it was instructive. I tried some different clubs, all different lengths, and what I noticed is that, for whatever reason, I just swung better on a choked down club: maybe 3/4" to 1" total. My carry wasn't affected: it was 160-170 for a traditional 36-degree cavity back 8-iron.  My loft was a touch lower and from the way the ball hit the fairway, spin was higher, as I likely had more control over the club and swing plane.  I am 5 foot 9, long legs/short torso. 

I also tried a friend's irons; CB620 with X100 shafts that were an inch over stock (long). They felt way, way too long out of the gate; I choked down 1", still wasn't good, then I choked down 2". I immediately started flushing them and was carrying his 9-iron the same distance as my 8-iron.  Heck, I flushed a 7-iron 184 with a beat-up range ball on his CB620; probably the best ball I have hit all week.  

When I think about it, the best round I have ever played is when I said "I am just going to choke down and make easy swings". I rolled in 3 birdies in a row that day; I figured I was just playing well but something about choking down made it really easy to hit the center of the face.  

2 things are going on here: lighter swing weight due to the shorter clubs (probably anywhere between C7 and C9) and shorter shafts.  I would like to investigate this further and determine what is causing these swings.   Should I just play choked down and slowly add head weight to get back up to D1 or so?  Or should I try something else? 

FWIW, on my driver, I can play anywhere between 44" and 45", depending on the shaft.

Normally, they give shorter clubs to "short people" but my proportions aren't really that odd.  But I would think that everyone's mechanics are different and some may have a swing that promotes being "closer to the ball" and others further away.  

The trick is getting it right.

Are you tall or short ? 

if tall  Take the club lowest in the set that you feel comfortable over and make most center contact with.  If you’re tall it’s probably 8 iron on a standard length set.  Might be 7 might be 9.  Get the lie angle sorted etc for perfect use.  Might take a day or even a week to “ know “ you’re on the sweet spot. 

then.  You build your pitching wedge to those specs.  Lie angle , length and swing weight.  Usually meaning no tip weight.   I then would build the rest of the set up 3/8 of an inch gap at a time , either with extensions or new shafts.  Adjust lie angles individually by testing on grass with a sharpie mark on the ball.  Can be difficult if getting your irons bent is a long drive away etc. maybe look for a place that has a grass range on site.  

i build my wedges all 1/4 inch shorter than my pw.  All same length.  

if you’re short you can do opposite.  Find the longest iron you hit well. Probably 6 might be 7.  ….build the 3 or 4 that length and come down in 3/8 gaps.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

TM Stealth +  8* Kai li 60x 

TM Sim2 max tour ADHD 8x 

Titleist Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 4 iron Addi 105x 

Titleist T100 5-pw MMT 125 TX 

T100 50* edel sms 54-c 58-v  MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I always just play +1+ (39" 5 iron) and 2 oe 3* upright and it seemed to work.  When I got fitted for SL irons through Edel, I was at a 37" iron, 2* upright, and whatever the headweights were with New Decade MCC grips.

All of my irons are "6 iron length" and it works for me.

Not sure, but I always played shorter than what I was fit into, standard length clubs always felt way too long. 

Taylormade Stealth+ 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade Stealth+ 3w Hzrdus Black

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Hzrdus Black

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

I am a giraffe so no matter how hard I've tried to play shorter clubs so I don't have super heavy swing weights, I've always come back to the length I got fitted into which is 1.5" above standard. Always feel super uncomfortable when I play shorter clubs because I end up feeling super hunched over

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade M5 9° w/ ACCRA Tour Z X475 M5 (45.75", tipped 0.75")

3 Wood: PING G400 Stretch 13° (@ 13.6°, little +) w/ UST Mamiya VTS TourSPX Red 8X (42.5", tipped 1")

5 Wood: PING G400 17.5° (@ 18.1°, little +) w/ UST Mamiya VTS TourSPX Silver 9SX (42", tipped 2")

Irons: PING Blueprint (4-PW) w/ Dynamic Gold X7 (0.75" above standard, 1° upright)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50°-08F), SM8 (56° @ 55°-10S), SM9 WedgeWorks (60°-06K) w/ Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue Onyx Wedge (0.75" above standard, 1° upright)

Putter: PING Anser 3 (36.5")

Grips: SuperStroke S-Tech Cord 60R (2 wraps build up tape, 1 wrap double sided tape)Bobby Duke Pistol (3 wraps double sided tape)

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Bag: PING Hoofer Craz-E Lite

I used the Ping fitting chart for yellow dot (yellow was eliminated recently so now its green).  +1/2 length.

Edited by ohioglfr

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Are you tall or short ? 

if tall  Take the club lowest in the set that you feel comfortable over and make most center contact with.  If you’re tall it’s probably 8 iron on a standard length set.  Might be 7 might be 9.  Get the lie angle sorted etc for perfect use.  Might take a day or even a week to “ know “ you’re on the sweet spot. 

then.  You build your pitching wedge to those specs.  Lie angle , length and swing weight.  Usually meaning no tip weight.   I then would build the rest of the set up 3/8 of an inch gap at a time , either with extensions or new shafts.  Adjust lie angles individually by testing on grass with a sharpie mark on the ball.  Can be difficult if getting your irons bent is a long drive away etc. maybe look for a place that has a grass range on site.  

if you’re short you can do opposite.  Find the longest iron you hit well. Probably 6 might be 7.  ….build the 3 or 4 that length and come down in 3/8 gaps.  

Fantastic advice. 3/8ths gaps are super helpful to make sure the longest club and shortest clubs are still playable. 

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

Should I just play choked down and slowly add head weight to get back up to D1 or so?  Or should I try something else?

Trial and error is the way to go but don't worry about a target swing weight.   Also, you should really do this with the wedges (PW or GW).   Doing it with a mid-irons isn't really going to give you the best answers.    Iron length fitting is really all about determining:

1) at what point does the length become too short - that's going to be the lower limit for length and where the wedges should be - which is the start of the rest of the set.

2) At what point does the club become too long - that will determine either the longest iron you should use or possibly what length increment you should use between clubs.

And FYI - actually there's a third and 4th thing going on - smaller grips and (relatively) flatter lie angles.

Edited by Stuart_G

1 minute ago, Stuart_G said:

Trial and error is the way to go but don't worry about a target swing weight.   Also, you should really do this with the wedges (PW or GW).   Doing it with a mid-irons isn't really going to give you the best answers.    Iron length fitting is really all about determining:

1) at what point does the length become too short - that's going to be the lower limit for length and where the wedges should be - which is the start of the set.

2) At what point does the club become too long - that will determine either the longest iron you should use or possibly what length increment you should use between clubs.

And FYI - actually there's a third and 4th thing going on - smaller grips and (relatively) flatter lie angles.

It's outside of my realm of expertise but I did wonder how much of the OP's comfort with choking down "might" have to do with the size of the grips assuming the grips in question are tapered in a typical manner.

4 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

1) at what point does the length become too short - that's going to be the lower limit for length and where the wedges should be - which is the start of the rest of the set.

This. It's the reason I ended up in single-length, and if I go back to a variable-length set will do so with reduced length increments.

I'm 6'5" with a 39.5-40" WTF measurement. That puts me up in the +1.5" range according to fitting charts. And my previous set was +1.5". That was great on the shorter clubs. Standing over a wedge or short iron felt perfect. But trying to hit a 40.5" 3-iron was a mess. When I made good contact it went a mile. But that happened rarely. 

I did a demo of the Sub70 699 Pros, so I got a 6i and 9i from them. They were standard length. The 6i felt like my 9i, and the 9i was 0.5" shorter than my SW and felt like I was swinging a junior club. It was uncomfortable to swing. 

Hence my current build (in signature). My wedges are all built to 36.75", which was halfway between my SW and PW on my +1.5" set, right where it feels comfortable. My SL irons are all built to 37.5". While some say "that's a 6i length--it's too long!", for me 37.5" is 9i length. It feels very comfortable to stand over that length and swing, but not so long that I feel like I'm losing accuracy due to length. 

Right now I'm not particularly happy with the gapping I get at the top of the irons, so I could potentially go back to variable length with a reduced increment. But I'm never going to let myself have a set where the longest iron is >40" again. It's just too much.

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 699 Pro 3 Utility w/ Recoil 680 F4

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I got lucky on irons, a mishap and ending with roughly a normal 7 iron, and down in 1/4" and up in 1/4 as well.  I have played my irons like this since 1996 or so.

I discovered that I hit my PW great, and when I tried a GW, SW or LW I tended to hit shots thin or skull them at factory lengths.  I experimented with a SW at roughly 1/4 below my PW and it worked great once I removed some headweight, I stopped the skulls with pitching and chipping and got much more consistent for fullish swings, so I changed my GW and LW to match.  I did this experimenting with an old SW so I could drill and port the back of it without issue.  I ended up in a PW down with all the same lengths and pretty much all the same head weights. 

The problem for me is it made them feel really heavy if I don't remove the head weight from them.  So my PW if it doesn't have a tip weight in it I almost always needed to port them, so I switched to a "specialty wedge", so it was easier to port and if I needed to remove weight it looked better and the PW just sat off to the side if I ever sell the irons.

Everyone will have their idea of how to best do it.  My view is find the shortest club that you feel the best with and build off of that by experimenting with what works.  That is how I did it and it worked very well for me.

• Like 1

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

25 minutes ago, cardigan said:

It's outside of my realm of expertise but I did wonder how much of the OP's comfort with choking down "might" have to do with the size of the grips assuming the grips in question are tapered in a typical manner.

Interesting question: my hands are pretty "normal" in size (I wear a medium glove and it can be a little tight across the thumb but finger length is good.  I have always thought that I was between a standard and +4 grip (I have midsize on my driver as I bought it used) and hit both well.  

35 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Fantastic advice. 3/8ths gaps are super helpful to make sure the longest club and shortest clubs are still playable. 

yeah; that trade-off between longer clubs and more center strikes is always difficult. I find however that with slightly shorter clubs, I control the club better and don't lose distance.  My SS on my 4W is only 3mph behind my driver, even though the club is 3" plus shorter.  I make less labored, more fluid swings with it.  Not to mention more center strikes

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Are you tall or short ? 

I am on the shorter side: 5 foot 9.  Ping chart has me in "Red".  

what is the definition of "hit well"?   Hitting a green 60% of the time with a particular club?  70%?   It is not unusual at all for me to hit 5-iron from 190-200 and be on the green; in my last 4 rounds, I have been on the green more often than not with that club.  All par 3's here play with a 5 or 6, and if I catch one of these danged overhanging fairway branches, I am probably sitting in 5-iron territory. It gets a lot of use, and if I pick it up, I feel comfortable that my miss won't be a bad one.  

But 4-iron is a different story; I really have to execute a great swing there.  Flushing it from 220 out is probably a 2/10 proposition with that 4-iron.  I usually just choke down with my 3 hybrid.  

To put it another way: if someone said: "here is $250 if you hit this green from 6-iron distance, $500 if you hit it from 5-iron distance, and $750 if you hit it from 4-iron distance" then I am going with the 5-iron.  I am more likely to win the $250 but my expected $ won is greatest with the 5-iron.  

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with playing choked down as your stock swing setup, if you keep finding it works and is comfortable for you.  There have been very good players on tour who do this.  Anthony Kim and Brooke Henderson are examples.

Same idea in baseball.  You could ask why didn't every good hitter just use whatever length bat that they could grip at full length.  Because some of them got very comfortable choking up and there was no reason to change....and no matter what you do, the feel is not exactly the same.

2 hours ago, CKaneb said:

I am a giraffe so no matter how hard I've tried to play shorter clubs so I don't have super heavy swing weights, I've always come back to the length I got fitted into which is 1.5" above standard. Always feel super uncomfortable when I play shorter clubs because I end up feeling super hunched over

This was why I went single length.  I always felt like anything less than an 8 iron was uncomfortable.  Everyone touts the SL long irons being easier…the reality is for taller golfers the short irons are king

• Like 1