Junior Golf Break - Time off or non stop

My kid is on the younger side and we shut golf down during winter (we live in a year round climate so don't have to shut it down) but we do and we start  tournament golf again in late spring.  I see friends that are playing golf every single season, every tournament with no break and this is going on for years now.  I mean these kids are playing a massive amount of tournament golf, same kids practice non stop as well.  It also seems like this is more of  the norm where we live and not the exception.   Just curious what others have seen as the kids get older who are on this non stop golf regime (does it work, burnout, do they hate the game later.)  curious on what others do with their kids who compete. 

• Like 1

When they’re young (14U) they should be playing seasonal sports like baseball, basketball, field hockey, whatever.  Once they’re older they can ‘specialize’ on their favorite and play year round. 

Of course I say this but my 11yo gymnast does 20-25 hours per week year round in the gym. 

• Like 4
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

@leezer99 gave you a solid answer.

I can only speak for myself, but up until I was 14/15 I played multiple sports (golf, baseball, and basketball). Naturally I took breaks from each of those to play the others during the course of a year.

Once I hit 15 I went all golf, and I did play all year. I definitely didn't play as much November - February compared to the other months, but I was still out playing/practicing 3-5 days a week and would typically play 1-3 tournaments that time of year as well.

• Like 1

For us (my kid is now 11YO), we live in California and can play all year if we wanted.  This past year, we took 2 months off in March/April and 2 months off in September/October.  During both of those breaks, we were playing baseball.  The others times of the year, we golf a lot, but not necessarily tournaments. We played about 16 rounds of tournament golf last year. We probably played 100 rounds of golf (at least 9 holes) with most of those on our home course.  In addition, when it is not baseball season,we play flag football, ski, tennis, skateboard or bike ride.

I know people in our age range that play year round. Some have been playing 50+ tournaments per year since they were 6 years old.  Highly unlikely they have time for other sports and they might be home schooling because of all the time off they miss during weekday tournaments.

Edited by wildcatden
  • Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Here in florida we play golf year round.  I’ve seen kids with non stop golf and it doesn’t work.

i would like to say we have a set schedule but really do not. We pretty much go all out for a few weeks and then when needed take time off and sometimes have downtime for a few weeks.  Generally revolves around big tournaments.

I really don’t know how anyone does over 30 tournaments a year or more and  think they can sustain that level for long.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

11 yr old here.  He plays yr around (practice and tournaments).  Used to play soccer and basketball, but gave that up a few years ago.  I've thought about taking a break, but he just hasn't yet.  A part of me feels as though if he takes a 2 month break then all the work we put in up until this point will magically vanish.   I will let you know once he burns out.  😞

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

We just started competing in Summer, but already took second half of Fall tour off and skipped winter tour that's slightly farther from home - just not convenient for me. Been playing on soccer team and training Jiu Jitsu... But break from competing is not always break from golf...we just eased back. She's still got a lesson weekly and we play together on weekends...but its because she likes to play. We also are always trying to go play rounds for fun with girls we met at USK and events like DCP.

Personally I think younger kids playing multiple sports is better for their long term athleticism and will help them in being better golfers in the future (Go read the book Range). Nevermind the burnout factor. I've just seen a lot of kids at 8-9yo here in LA that are pretty good, but I can already see that they hate it out there with parents pushing them to compete. Even my daughter feels bad when she's playing with a kid that's not really being allowed to goof around with her and the other girls. 

I guess we are lucky that I am not teaching my daughter to play golf so she can win a D1 scholarship or play on tour...but so that she can be a confident and happy young woman. IF any of that other stuff happens its just gravy...but not part of the 'program'

@ncalgolf where are you guys based?

• Like 2

12yo, we took 3 months off (Sep-Nov) for basketball last year from tournaments and regular practice and such.  We went to hit balls at the range for fun maybe 2-3 times in that span spending maybe 30 mins each time.

His school basketball just started also this month so practice is still somewhat limited despite tournaments kicking back in.

At this age I only care that he's improving and still interested in playing. We'll have to see how or if things change as he hits 14-15.

• Like 1

I really think it doesn't depends on us but friends.
My daughter took many breaks living in Europe, because nearly no child played there, but in Dubai I cant get her down from the practice facilities because she made so many friends and its much more fun than other things. So if your child want to play, just let them but dont force it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MikekiM said:

12yo, we took 3 months off (Sep-Nov) for basketball last year from tournaments and regular practice and such.  We went to hit balls at the range for fun maybe 2-3 times in that span spending maybe 30 mins each time.

His school basketball just started also this month so practice is still somewhat limited despite tournaments kicking back in.

At this age I only care that he's improving and still interested in playing. We'll have to see how or if things change as he hits 14-15.

This is pretty much identical for my 10 year old, 2-3 month break for basketball.  My 13 year old does rock climbing in the winter, so golf takes a back seat for a few months, but he still plays weekly. He’s told me he’s ready to go full time golf (I have not allowed that up to this point- he chose the sports, but had to be at least 2). I’ll be ok with him becoming golf only now. He’s proven at this point that he loves playing and is willing to put in the time. They have both played pretty much every major sport and a bunch of minors at some point. I always wanted them to be athletes first then focus on a sport later on.

• Like 2

Mine seems to be in a habit of from November to February he just shuts himself down and hibernates off golf. He does not play baseball (we don't allow it, in Alabama youth baseball is insane with 4 year olds playing until 9 pm on school nights which ethically is insane), tried basketball and didn't like it, so he doesn't really play other sports but plays disc golf, hikes, and does all sorts of other physical activities so I don't freak out about the lack of other sports. I do get concerned about his hibernation/sloth like period though. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kekoa said:

A part of me feels as though if he takes a 2 month break then all the work we put in up until this point will magically vanish.

Nope.

It takes a couple of days to a week to get the rust off.  It's funny b/c every time we take a break, it's "oh my goodness, I used to be good at this game" right when we get back out there.  Then, the shots start coming back to life, and all is relieved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jj9000 said:

Nope.

It takes a couple of days to a week to get the rust off.  It's funny b/c every time we take a break, it's "oh my goodness, I used to be good at this game" right when we get back out there.  Then, the shots start coming back to life, and all is relieved.

Agree, after a 2 month break this fall for baseball, my kid picked up a "club length" in yardage (ex: 8-iron goes as far as 7-iron).  It didn't take more than a couple weeks to get him swinging well again....until.....he hit a growth spurt in early December.  Had nothing but wild swings and worm burners for a month while also suffering from growth pains in one knee.  Now, over the last 2 weeks, the pain is gone and his swing is coming back together again, and he picked up another "club length" in yardage. 

As recommended by many here and also folks who study this stuff as professionals (ex: Titleist Performance Institute), if you haven't listened to (or read through) the TPI's "Junior Golf Parent Workshop", it is good material. https://www.mytpi.com/articles/juniors/tpi's_junior_golf_parent_workshop?search=Junior

Edited by wildcatden

My kid has basically played golf about every day of his life since he is 11.  Burnout is from playing too many tournaments.  When tournaments feel like a job, it is time to shut them down.  He hasn't played a tournament since middle of November.  He has practiced and played every day regardless because he likes to play golf.  I smiled when I was pulling in the neighborhood last night and drove by him and 3 friends walking down the fairway playing.  Golf is meant for fun.

With that said and knowing he is reading this, he has a tournament in 3 weekends.  This weekend he needs to really start the grind and preparing.  Practice and course plan for two weeks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

My kid has basically played golf about every day of his life since he is 11.  Burnout is from playing too many tournaments.  When tournaments feel like a job, it is time to shut them down.  He hasn't played a tournament since middle of November.  He has practiced and played every day regardless because he likes to play golf.  I smiled when I was pulling in the neighborhood last night and drove by him and 3 friends walking down the fairway playing.  Golf is meant for fun.

With that said and knowing he is reading this, he has a tournament in 3 weekends.  This weekend he needs to really start the grind and preparing.  Practice and course plan for two weeks.

Wish we lived on a course. Waste 20 min of daylight driving to the course daily. This time of year, on central time, it gets dark quick

• Like 2

6 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

I think playing for fun is great for these kids.  But at the same time don't you think it is important to play tournaments somewhat regularly just to maintain the correct mindset?  I don't mean playing a tournament every week.  Maybe just one or two a month.  I feel as though tournament golf can become a job really quick especially if the junior is struggling with his/her game. 

3 hours ago, kekoa said:

I think playing for fun is great for these kids.  But at the same time don't you think it is important to play tournaments somewhat regularly just to maintain the correct mindset?  I don't mean playing a tournament every week.  Maybe just one or two a month.  I feel as though tournament golf can become a job really quick especially if the junior is struggling with his/her game. 

I dont think its that important, if they your kids friends love golf as well they compete daily anyway.
I see all the juniors here they make their own "tournaments"/games, we have only one USKids series for 8Tournaments (3months) here, most other tournaments are useless until you are at least 14y. So they start to get in tournament mode already 2 month before and always work hard to not mess up the next series, because you have just one shot for Pinehurst(no matter if you go there or not).
If you have tournaments the whole year every 2 weeks it might take the fire out of your game.
So i think, if you can play every 2 weeks its ofc not bad, but having 8tournaments per year hasn't to be bad as well.

I think its more about what you teach your child, the value of their practice and tournaments. Practice is always more important for kids/juniors, in my opinion.  14/16y they will have to become more serious and start doing bigger schedules, that's the time where they should be much more consistent(which you achieve with practice inot tournaments) and want to earn WAGR Points and so on.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kekoa said:

12-15 multi day ranked tournaments a year, in my opinion, is the sweet spot for most kids.  The bulk of the tournaments coming from April to August.  This is when you get the junior Majors.  Listened to a podcast the FJT puts on and they had the head coach from USF on.  Paraphrasing he said "Playing more than 20 tournaments a year is too much.  Kids playing that many are usually playing that many because of the parents.  It brings up a red flag to most coaches that says stay away."  Playing 2 a month is going to be over 24 a year because in the summers you can be playing one a week.  They also have qualifiers in between those tournaments.  USGA (Jr, Open, AM), your state association events and qualifiers, AJGA qualifiers.  There are ways to keep the mindset without playing a bunch of multi day tournaments.  The mind and body also needs rest.  My boy will play in weekend money games in the men's group at the course.  When he plays with friends it often becomes competition.  

Here is the kicker.  The better players aren't playing a lot of events.  More than 12 a year is rare.  They are playing the important events and will add in State Men's Amateur events.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

12-15 multi day ranked tournaments a year.  The bulk of the tournaments coming from April to August.  This is when you get the junior Majors.  Listened to a podcast the FJT puts on and they had the coach from USF on.  Paraphrasing he said "Playing more than 20 tournaments a year is too much.  Kids playing that many are usually playing that many because of the parents.  It brings up a red flag to most coaches that says stay away."  Playing 2 a month is going to be over 24 a year because in the summers you can be playing one a week.  They also have qualifiers in between those tournaments.  USGA (Jr, Open, AM), your state association events and qualifiers, AJGA qualifiers.  There are ways to keep the mindset without playing.  The mind and body also needs rest.  My boy will play in weekend money games at the course.  When he plays with friends it often becomes competition.  

Here is the kicker.  The better players aren't playing a lot of events.  More than 12 a year is rare.  They are playing the important events and will add in State Men's Amateur events.

My son and I sat down last night and planned his out, it is a cooperative effort.

4 two day SJGTs

2 two day Southern States

1 two day State Championship

Summer City Series

6 one day events

1 two day championship event

So 8 two dayers and 6 one dayers. The two day events are pressure events for him to go out and try to shoot the best score he can but not so focused on trying to win. The single dayers are all on courses he knows and that we can really prepare for and he plays those to try to win. It is a good balance. For a 12 year old I think that is a good schedule. We might add an SJGT or two but there is no point at 12 for him to go beyond that. Some of his buddies are chugging out two dozen events and I just don't get it. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

My son and I sat down last night and planned his out, it is a cooperative effort.

4 two day SJGTs

2 two day Southern States

1 two day State Championship

Summer City Series

6 one day events

1 two day championship event

So 8 two dayers and 6 one dayers. For a 12 year old I think that is a good schedule. We might add an SJGT or two but there is no point at 12 for him to go beyond that. Some of his buddies are chugging out two dozen events and I just don't get it. 

Let's look at a college schedule.  

https://texassports.com/sports/mens-golf/schedule

University of Texas play 4 events in the fall.  6 in the spring.  NCAA Championship is after they are out of school.

Most likely these kids will play in one or two Amateur Tournament over break.  Many college kids will travel to Florida as there are a lot of Amateur tournaments December to January.  All these kids are also playing Qualifiers for USGA tournaments.  They are traveling during the summer and playing Souther Am, Western Am, North/South Am, etc.

So if they play every college event, pick up 1 event during Winter Break, 2 during the summer, they are at 12-16 events a year depending on how far they make it in NCAA tournament.  These are young men with every resource including a personal trainer and mental trainer.

• Like 3

I have coached a lot of AAU basketball starting in 2009, I am on my 3rd team, taking kids from 4-5th through 8th grade. When we first started our focus was on tournaments and then as we moved along tournaments became less important to my second team and now on my 3rd team, which is my most athletic by far we are only playing in 1 tournament this year. 

Since I have been able to watch kids go from AAU through the High School program I see a much higher correlation between skills and high school success than AAU tournament success and High School Success. So me and my coaches have 3 practices a week, where we drill hard through the basic skills needed to play under pressure and we don't measure our kids on tournament success, but skill numbers. Our practices are always built where kids work on a skill, then apply that skill under pressure, be it a race, live action with defense. We have devised practices that are both fun and developmental. My team loves to come to practice and it is really gratifying. 

Golf is different in that tournaments help build a part of the game that cannot completely be learned in practice, but when we go to practice golf we do the same thing, build skill and then apply under pressure. Golf is also different in that the tournaments give you something to aim for and certain courses require different skills. So I think having a few on the schedule is important. We will probably do about 8 with 2 of them being 2 dayers, starting in March ending in August.

IMO for middle school kids, becoming really, really good as they emerge from puberty is the most important thing. There are too many things that can happen in high school to worry too much about junior schedules. I'm sure my daughter will be on the golf course 4 to 7 days a week starting in March.

• Like 1

Some good info here.  I feel pretty good about my 13 soon to be 14 yo schedule, but am curious about some of your thoughts on a 10 yo. Our main state tour (Sneds Tour in TN) is 1 day 9 hole tournaments with a few 1 day 18 hole (hosted on par 3 courses) throughout the year. We will have a local US kids tour for the 1st time in a while. I think they are 1 day 9 hole for this age also? Then we have a relatively new tour which does 1 and 2 day 18 hole events but the age bracket is 10-13 (which seems crazy to me). Thoughts on importance of 18 hole or 2 day events at this age? I personally don’t see the need but like I said, I’m curious to see what some of you think. 

15 minutes ago, Movingday said:

Some good info here.  I feel pretty good about my 13 soon to be 14 yo schedule, but am curious about some of your thoughts on a 10 yo. Our main state tour (Sneds Tour in TN) is 1 day 9 hole tournaments with a few 1 day 18 hole (hosted on par 3 courses) throughout the year. We will have a local US kids tour for the 1st time in a while. I think they are 1 day 9 hole for this age also? Then we have a relatively new tour which does 1 and 2 day 18 hole events but the age bracket is 10-13 (which seems crazy to me). Thoughts on importance of 18 hole or 2 day events at this age? I personally don’t see the need but like I said, I’m curious to see what some of you think. 

My kid was 10 last year. Looked up our schedule:

USKG Local (9-holes): January

JTNC (2 day x 18 holes): April

JTNC (2 day x 18 holes): May

JTNC (18 holes): May

JGANC IMG Qualifier (9-holes): May

JTNC (18 holes): June

IMG Worlds (3 day x 18-holes): July

JGANC (2 day x 9-holes): July

JGANC (9-holes): August

JGANC (9-holes): August

USKG State (2 day x 18-holes): September

USKG Local (18-holes): December

USKG Local (18-holes): December

USKG Local (18-holes): December (had to withdraw due to injury)

The final USKG tournament that we withdrew from was to be our final of the year.   This schedule and amount of tournament golf seemed appropriate. Keep in mind that we played a lot of casual golf as well....typically 9-holes after I got off work.

Edited by wildcatden

11 minutes ago, Movingday said:

Daughter  played US kids and we seen some of the 9 holers.  She played some of her very first tournaments as a 13 yo in 9 hole tournaments (VSGA).

- Developing a per-tournament routine (do I putt first or last.  How many range balls)

- Watching them  keep their focus

- Do they understand all the rules.

Daughter played in Gettysburg at this crazy course.  She hit a ball and it landed in this abyss about 200 ft down (joking).  2 clubs relief puts her in the rough.

I had been been working with her on pulling it back to the fairway and give up the 15 ft of distance.  She watched her playing partner hack one from that same drop area and land again in the abyss.

Really I don't see the need for 18 or 36 for the younger age yet.  He will definitely let know you know.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Movingday said:

10 year old, in my opinion, stick to golf during golf season and other sports in those seasons.  If you can fit in a 2 day during the Golf Season, go for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Movingday said:

Can give you some perspective from a Father of a now 17 YO(Junior in HS) who grew up playing Sneds.  What division will he be playing in this Summer - Tour or Masters?  My son moved to Masters when he was 12 and the competition was good enough to not really have to look anywhere else.  It was that Fall when he was 13 where we played a few 2 day 18 hole events to prepare for the move from 9 to 18 the next Summer and it worked well.  It isn't that hard to play 12-16 events just through Sneds as they do limit you to 8 over the Summer. That has been right about the sweet spot that we have kept it in the last 7 years and we feel (Son and I) it has been the right balance.  We will play a bit more this year factoring in USGA and State opens/qualifiers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

10 year old, in my opinion, stick to golf during golf season and other sports in those seasons.  If you can fit in a 2 day during the Golf Season, go for it.

Yeah he’s multi sport. Took 3 months in winter completely away from golf for basketball. And 2 months with limited golf for flag football. Last year he played in 12 one day tournaments from March- August. He will play almost every day from March-August because his brother is there and he loves being on the course 

• Like 1