Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open

GolfWRX_Spotted

Remember that week or two when Jordan swapped out the 009 for a Futura model…what a strange couple of weeks that was 😂

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

12 hours ago, seis said:

Second most iconic Tour Scotty after that beat up old Tiger Woods putter😂

1000% agree.  I'm not a blade user, but if I was and I got to pick one to use, that would be it!

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Such a fun bag to see. Amazing how worn that putter grip is. One day the letters will all be gone and many will think it is a new prototype grip 😁. The 009 is incredible. 

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

It is a shame that Scotty doesn't make the 009 very much anymore. The only ones that come out now have stamps all over them like they are NASCAR and he only releases a 009 about once out of four Wednesday releases. 

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

On 1/25/2022 at 3:53 AM, MattyO1984 said:

Remember that week or two when Jordan swapped out the 009 for a Futura model…what a strange couple of weeks that was 😂

The world stopped turning

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

23 hours ago, Carson33 said:

It is a shame that Scotty doesn't make the 009 very much anymore. The only ones that come out now have stamps all over them like they are NASCAR and he only releases a 009 about once out of four Wednesday releases. 

Because he hates carbon and loves his shinny stainless steel garbage.  (not garbage, Im just jealous) 

• Like 2

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

56 minutes ago, Ozzy Awarii said:

I wonder what would happen if he went back to gp tour velvet grips and px 6.0's all the way through 4 iron like he did in 2014-2016.. 

It woudn't matter

• Haha 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

14 hours ago, Ozzy Awarii said:

Image if Tiger Woods in his prime all of a sudden one year switched from X100's to X7's, and went from gp cord's to lamkin cord's.. I think it would have mattered a little.. 

Tiger Woods '97 used Scotty Cameron Tel3 and Mizuno Irons won Augusta by 12 shots

Tiger Woods '00 used Scotty Cameron Newport and Titeist Irons won Pebble by 15 shots

Tiger Woods '06 used Scotty Cameron Newport and NIKE Irons won 8 times on Tour (and 2 majors)

Tiger Woods '08 he started swaping 2 iron for 5 wood

Tiger Woods '11 started using a NIKE Putter, won 9 times with in a 25 month stretch

Tiger Woods '18 started playing Taylormade clubs and Won the Masters in 2019

It looks like Tiger switched alot through the years

Phil has played no driver, 1 driver, 2 drivers, franken wood, Driver & 2 wood

• Like 2

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

3 hours ago, Santiago Golf said:

Tiger Woods '97 used Scotty Cameron Tel3 and Mizuno Irons won Augusta by 12 shots

Tiger Woods '00 used Scotty Cameron Newport and Titeist Irons won Pebble by 15 shots

Tiger Woods '06 used Scotty Cameron Newport and NIKE Irons won 8 times on Tour (and 2 majors)

Tiger Woods '08 he started swaping 2 iron for 5 wood

Tiger Woods '11 started using a NIKE Putter, won 9 times with in a 25 month stretch

Tiger Woods '18 started playing Taylormade clubs and Won the Masters in 2019

It looks like Tiger switched alot through the years

Phil has played no driver, 1 driver, 2 drivers, franken wood, Driver & 2 wood

Every single set that tiger had that you took the time and effort to post was equipt with dg x100's and gp tour velvet cords. I am referring to the iron shafts and grips only. There is no need to be insolent Santiago...

Edited by Ozzy Awarii

1 hour ago, Ozzy Awarii said:

Every single set that tiger had that you took the time and effort to post was equipt with dg x100's and gp tour velvet cords. I am referring to the iron shafts and grips only. There is no need to be insolent Santiago...

First of all, I am not disagreeing with you. I do think it would have made a difference but by that same way if thinking couldn't it have possibly made him even better?  Of course Tiger played that combo before the age of Trackman and equipment optimization, so he went by feel and what he was comfortable with. He wanted what was predictable and gave him the "window" he was looking for. Honestly he probably could have played R flex with junior size grips and still dusted everyone. 

As it relates to Jordan, if he feels like he can get better by making a change he's going to do it. I like to believe Tiger would have too. If Jordan didn't change maybe his low period would have been even worse? The same argument can go either way, but obviously we will never know. 

1 hour ago, semarlor said:

First of all, I am not disagreeing with you. I do think it would have made a difference but by that same way if thinking couldn't it have possibly made him even better?  Of course Tiger played that combo before the age of Trackman and equipment optimization, so he went by feel and what he was comfortable with. He wanted what was predictable and gave him the "window" he was looking for. Honestly he probably could have played R flex with junior size grips and still dusted everyone. 

As it relates to Jordan, if he feels like he can get better by making a change he's going to do it. I like to believe Tiger would have too. If Jordan didn't change maybe his low period would have been even worse? The same argument can go either way, but obviously we will never know. 

Thanks for the response, this is the kinda response I was looking for.. I do believe tiger could have dusted with anything, I mean he is the goat.. Its just that tour pros don't seem to change their iron shafts or grips very often throughout their career. In the case of speith obviously the 6.5's were giving him better numbers, so he decided to switch. As for the superstroke club grips, I'm sure money has to do with that change.. Im more wondering peoples opinions if he went back to his old setup if it would matter. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ozzy Awarii said:

Thanks for the response, this is the kinda response I was looking for.. I do believe tiger could have dusted with anything, I mean he is the goat.. Its just that tour pros don't seem to change their iron shafts or grips very often throughout their career. In the case of speith obviously the 6.5's were giving him better numbers, so he decided to switch. As for the superstroke club grips, I'm sure money has to do with that change.. Im more wondering peoples opinions if he went back to his old setup if it would matter. 

Probably the shafts more than the grips, right? Aren't all rubber grips like that pretty similar as long as the size and the weight are the same? I get it though, it's definitely interesting to think about if he had never changed or if he went back. 

Another thing is look at Tiger and how many swing changes he made and pretty much kept his equipment the same. Yes different model irons but they were all very similar and, to your point, the same shafts and grips throughout. Jordan's swing has changed a lot over the last several years, even if it isn't super noticeable. Maybe those swing changes are what lead to the changes in equipment? Shaft weight plays a big role so maybe he was looking for a different feel to compliment the changes he was trying to make. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, semarlor said:

Probably the shafts more than the grips, right? Aren't all rubber grips like that pretty similar as long as the size and the weight are the same? I get it though, it's definitely interesting to think about if he had never changed or if he went back. 

Another thing is look at Tiger and how many swing changes he made and pretty much kept his equipment the same. Yes different model irons but they were all very similar and, to your point, the same shafts and grips throughout. Jordan's swing has changed a lot over the last several years, even if it isn't super noticeable. Maybe those swing changes are what lead to the changes in equipment? Shaft weight plays a big role so maybe he was looking for a different feel to compliment the changes he was trying to make. 

You would think the grips are the same, but through some personal experience I have found out they are not. I have gamed gp tour velvets for 14 years, there was a 3 year period where I tried to replace them with a similar style grip to test the market, and hopefully find something more durable. I tried lamkin crosslines, pure pro's, star sidewinder's and the superserstroke s-tech's. What i found was the lamkin felt most similar and had a similar amount of torque, but I didn't like the dimensions. The other 3 grips were ok, but they all were noticeabley more "rubbery" and had a higher amount of torque, which led to my dispersion suffering.. needless to say I'm back on my gp tour velvets... 

On 1/28/2022 at 3:56 PM, Ozzy Awarii said:

I wonder what would happen if he went back to gp tour velvet grips and px 6.0's all the way through 4 iron like he did in 2014-2016.. 

The problem with trying to tie anything to iron grips/shafts is that he actually had his best year statistically (Strokes Gained Approach) AFTER the change. He went from 88th (2015-16) to 2nd (2016-17) in that category, so everything points to an improvement. His decline was lead by putting, and then erratic driving. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

12 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

The problem with trying to tie anything to iron grips/shafts is that he actually had his best year statistically (Strokes Gained Approach) AFTER the change. He went from 88th (2015-16) to 2nd (2016-17) in that category, so everything points to an improvement. His decline was lead by putting, and then erratic driving. 

That's nice to know.. In 2019 he was 145th and 2020 he was 97th both are worse than 88th.. Grips are on all your clubs, so you could tie the grips to the erratic driving.. Im not necessarily doing that, I just found the change in iron shafts and club grips a interesting move.. Its just a theory, he more than likely added some muscle and needed to go to 6.5. Or he could have went to 6.5's to combat the extra torque of the new grips he's getting paid to play.. Who knows, Its just a theory...

29 minutes ago, Ozzy Awarii said:

That's nice to know.. In 2019 he was 145th and 2020 he was 97th both are worse than 88th.. Grips are on all your clubs, so you could tie the grips to the erratic driving.. Im not necessarily doing that, I just found the change in iron shafts and club grips a interesting move.. Its just a theory, he more than likely added some muscle and needed to go to 6.5. Or he could have went to 6.5's to combat the extra torque of the new grips he's getting paid to play.. Who knows, Its just a theory...

He spoke about the shaft change in an interview at one point, mentioned spin and "holding the line better in the wind" which is likely tied to spin as well. As for the grips, Jordan's Under Armour deal alone is worth several generations of financial freedom, so IMO there is zero chance he sticks with a grip that has noticeably more torque/is less stable just because he is being paid to. That UA deal is probably worth more in a month than whatever SuperStroke has paid him in several years. The correlation is only interesting if it lines up with anything, which it doesn't (other than him winning). 2018/2019 season is a full 2-3 years removed from the switch and swing changes/wrist issues combined with intense pressure and scrutiny after his Tiger-like run explain everything.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Thanks for the in depth opinion and putting so much effort in to your post.. I genuinely agree that spieth puts the best possible equipment in his bag and would love to hear from him on what makes him love those s-techs enough to continue using them (I found them to be garbage). Being a club fitter for 10 plus years I have always found it interesting when a pro makes changes, and spieth is someone I have always followed very closely.. when I said "I wonder what would happen" i did not imply that by switching back to his 2015 setup he would benefit from it. Yet that comment sure did attract alot of pugnacious individuals.. 

On 1/29/2022 at 5:25 PM, semarlor said:

The Pros spend so much time on radar it’s all about dialing in. Reguardless if the shaft feels worse/heavy/stiffer. Suspect Jordan’s dispersion numbers were tighter with the 6.5’s. Maybe lose a yard or 2 but gain in accuracy. Which would you rather have? 
Grips? Those SS feel the same as GPV’s. But they have to practice so much I bet they test those numbers as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

You’d think with driver being the worst facet of his game he’d try the TSi1 or TSi2 head. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2