What's the weirdest golf set up you have ever seen?

Paddy_2_Iron

Just curious what's strangest golf set up you have ever seen?

I played with a guy who had this configuration

Driver

3 Wood

5 Wood

9 Wood (set to 10.5)

13 Wood (8 iron loft 32 degree)

8 iron

9 iron

52 wedge

56 wedge

58 wedge

He could play and would kick our butts.  But this is the oddest.   

Honorable mention was a guy I played he had a great set of clubs except no fairway woods.  You can tell he was insecure because the first thing he said when we teamed up was he couldn't hit his woods.  Obviously no issue I could careless if you play with a 7 iron only.....   Anyway from 6200 he didn't play half bad.  If memory serves me correctly he shot a 84 and the rest of us were 90 or higher.   

I'm interested in seeing what configurations you have seen.  

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

2 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

I really don't look in other peoples bags.

Guy walks up with all irons and never draws out a wood, you don't really have to look into the bag.  

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

42 minutes ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

Driver

3 Wood

5 Wood

9 Wood (set to 10.5)

8 iron

9 iron

52 wedge

56 wedge

58 wedge

Honorable mention was a guy I played he had a great set of clubs except no fairway woods.  You can tell he was insecure because the first thing he said when we teamed up was he couldn't hit his woods.  Obviously no issue I could careless if you play with a 7 iron only.....   Anyway from 6200 he didn't play half bad.  If memory serves me correctly he shot a 84 and the rest of us were 90 or higher.   

9-wood at 10.5? I've a V-steel 9w, and it's 24*. Did you mean 20.5*? If so, still somewhat strange, because he might as well buy a 7w with that loft. Unless he likes looking at a closed face?

But a 13 wood? Now that I don't think I've *ever* seen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

9-wood at 10.5? I've a V-steel 9w, and it's 24*. Did you mean 20.5*? If so, still somewhat strange, because he might as well buy a 7w with that loft. Unless he likes looking at a closed face?

But a 13 wood? Now that I don't think I've *ever* seen.

23.5 loft ping 9, set 1.5 open, 25 degree.  

• Thanks 1

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I once saw a novice golfer with the following:

8.5o Small-headed Driver (975D)

13.5o 3w

2-Pw blades

56o Sw

60o Lw

Looking back, I'm surprised that guy didn't quit the game. As it turns out though, he kept at it and 12 years later he plays more than ever and still posts here. 

🙂

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

13 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Gotcha. Still an amazing setup. Where was his 13 wood from? Do Ping make a 13 wood?

Honestly I am not sure didn't look that much.   It was either 31.5 or 32 degrees (he told me).  It was his 155 - 160 club and man he could smack greens with it.  Strange man strange but he could play.  And that 9 wood or 10.5 wood lol he would smack greens from 170 - 180 out it was remarkable.  Same with the 7 with was like an extension of his irons.  I remember at one point we were laughing because he actually hit more greens with the woods than the irons.  

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron
  • Like 1

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

2 minutes ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

Honestly I am not sure didn't look that much.   It was either 31.5 or 32.  It was his 150 club and man he could smack greens with it.  Strange man strange but he could play.  

I sometimes play a 9w (V-steel). When I'm on with it, it's like a 200-yard pitching wedge. 

But it's weird looking at a wood with all that loft at address, and sometimes I just cannot hit it right, which is why it is not a more permanent feature in my bag.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I sometimes play a 9w (V-steel). When I'm on with it, it's like a 200-yard pitching wedge. 

But it's weird looking at a wood with all that loft at address, and sometimes I just cannot hit it right, which is why it is not a more permanent feature in my bag.

He was the same way.  He actually played better from 6600 - 6800 because he would approach in with 7, 9 or 13 wood.  It was 60+% he would hit a green   Insanity.    He also had this really long driver shaft and mean super long and with this strong grip he would belt it out there 260 carry.  The guy was only 5 ft 7.  It was an amazing feat.   We played a 73 rating course we all shot high 90s or more, he dropped a 83 with 3 birdies and he played the back tees, we all played the whites 6200.   Ridiculous.  

The 7 and 9 were ping 410's.  Super high ball flight and would carry forever.  

On the 190 or 210 par 3's he just pops those woods up on the green or near it and then chips close to the pin or makes his lag putt.  With the occasional birdie.  

@No_Catchy_Nickname

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I play with this guy from time to time, I've seen him go against college golfers and hang with them.  They are amazed at his set up and give him compliments the whole round.  It's a great time.   I just sit back and watch.    Sorry to ramble but I love this topic.    I'll be teeing off from the whites and they are all back on the blacks.  He will belt a drive out there only maybe 20 yards behind these D1 golfers and he will go into the green with a 7 or 9 hold it and birdie or par and they are hitting 7 or 8 irons in.  It's so much fun watching him kind of hack the game and hang with these guys.  

Note he does have a putting green in his backyard and chips and putts daily so he is fantastic with that part of the game.  

@No_Catchy_Nickname

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron
  • Like 1

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

11 minutes ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

He was the same way.  He actually played better from 6600 - 6800 because he would approach in with 7, 9 or 13 wood.  It was 60+% he would hit a green   Insanity.    He also had this really long driver shaft and mean super long and with this strong grip he would belt it out there 260 carry.  The guy was only 5 ft 7.  It was an amazing feat.   We played a 73 rating course we all shot high 90s or more, he dropped a 83 with 3 birdies and he played the back tees, we all played the whites 6200.   Ridiculous.  

The 7 and 9 were ping 410's.  Super high ball flight and would carry forever.  

It'd be fun (and a bit humiliating!) to play with him. It's always interesting to go around with someone who does it "differently". 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

It'd be fun (and a bit humiliating!) to play with him. It's always interesting to go around with someone who does it "differently". 

Last thing I promise.  He is so laid back he'd give me a call (Hey Pat shot a 78 from the stones at King and Bear at the WGV).  Really?  Yeah man that woods were on today and I was really belting the drive.  LMAO!  "How many approaches into the greens with your irons"?   "Not many"  

I'm thinking good lord, I couldn't even play that course lol.  I can play the blues it's about 6100 - 6200 but I can't play 6600 I am garbage at those distances.  

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron
  • Haha 1

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

4 minutes ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

Last thing I promise.  He is so laid back he'd give me a call (Hey Pat shot a 78 from the Tips and King and Bear at the WGV).  Really?  Yeah man that woods were on today and I was really belting the drive.  LMAO!

I bet he'd be a great hustler. People would look at his bag and think "easy pickings"....oh dear....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I bet he'd be a great hustler. People would look at his bag and think "easy pickings"....oh dear....

Excellent call.  He calls his bag the garage sale bag, no matching clubs hardly.  

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I've currently got 2 5w in my bag, one 2* strong, 1 2* weak.

But still tinkering with the bag for next season.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

2 hours ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

Driver

3 Wood

5 Wood

9 Wood (set to 10.5)

8 iron

9 iron

52 wedge

56 wedge

58 wedge

A man after my own heart. 😎

• Haha 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I play almost exactly that bag except with a 11 wood instead of a 13 wood and a Utility Iron instead of a driver.

Have a 7 iron (traditional loft so higher loft) insteadof the 8, and just the 2 wedges(pw at 49 sw at 55). 

I'm not nearly as good as him but been in the high 80s recently, working hard on the chipping and pitching to get up and down more. The ability to hold the greens with the woods is why I like them so much, the other day I held 4 out of 4 greens from 185 or so with the 9 wood.

My 9 wood is a Wilson Deep Red, the 11 wood is an Adams Tight Lies. 3 wood is a Wilson Deep Red at 15 degrees, 210-240 off the tee.

• Like 1

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

I find it more odd when folks actually carry 14 different clubs considering their good drive might fly 150.

That being said, I LOVE playing with strangers.  You never know what you’re going to get.

Edited by Cliffy2020
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Oh yeah most recent memory, a par 3 up hill ~195 yards to carry a postage stamp of a green.  He's walking around vaping the funky stuff and smiling and joking.  The other 3 of us wondering how the hell are we going to clear 175 yards of waste refuge and land it on a up hill postage stamp.  I thin one in the weeds the other two hit a pot bunker where you can't see the green the sidewall (yes side wall bunker) is 6 ft tall.  He comes up clueless as crap and hits a high draw next to the pin with his 7 wood.   (He birdied)

Ear to ear grin,  oblivious of the difficult of the shot he just made.    I'm in the relief area chipping for 3, miracle chip and make my bogey.  He then proceeds to rock a 260 yard drive from the backs, just carry (280 total estimate driver).   Unreal.

Fun and Humiliating is the best way to describe it.  

Here is the course we played.  

https://lpgainternational.com/-arthur-hills-signature-course    He played the blues that day.  Not the very back. 

Scorecard 

https://cdn.cybergolf.com/images/2044/LPGA_Hills_Course_Scorecard.pdf

Hole 7

83 course rate 72.4 / 138 ~6600 

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron
  • Like 1

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Years ago back when I started playing, I joined up with a guy who had 3 drivers and only 12 clubs in the bag. Yes, he used all 3 drivers during the round: I asked and I am paraphrasing but they were all Taylormade R9/11 variants... one was standard length set open, one was standard length closed with more loft, one had a shaft from a Taylormade 3 wood in it so it played 2+ inches shorter "for the straight ahead holes". He wasn't a bad player and he wasn't super long so the drivers were in play on everything except Par 3s. but each driver did pretty much what he wanted it to do. Fun to watch, after about 5 or 6 holes I'd know which driver was about to come out of the bag before he even got to the tee box to look at the hole. 

• Like 2

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

A friend I’ve known since I was a teenager around 1980. He is currently upper 70’s and 32.x Index

Distance Driver

Accuracy Driver

3w

5w

7w

9w

11w

4i

5i

6i

7i

8i

Putter

(No wedges. No hybrids. And no head covers.)

He has his own red buggy. The woods bang around and my brother calls him Santa because of the red “sleigh” and the sound of sleigh bells. You cannot make this up. He is one of kind. He is actually decent out the sand with the wide flanged 8i. Makes numerous net par or better “sandies.” I think he should make golf instruction YouTube videos.

Chicken dinner?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

5 hours ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

Oh yeah most recent memory, a par 3 up hill ~195 yards to carry a postage stamp of a green.  He's walking around vaping the funky stuff and smiling and joking.  The other 3 of us wondering how the hell are we going to clear 175 yards of waste refuge and land it on a up hill postage stamp.  I thin one in the weeds the other two hit a pot bunker where you can't see the green the sidewall (yes side wall bunker) is 6 ft tall.  He comes up clueless as crap and hits a high draw next to the pin with his 7 wood.   (He birdied)

Ear to ear grin,  oblivious of the difficult of the shot he just made.    I'm in the relief area chipping for 3, miracle chip and make my bogey.  He then proceeds to rock a 260 yard drive from the backs, just carry (280 total estimate driver).   Unreal.

Fun and Humiliating is the best way to describe it.  

Here is the course we played.  

https://lpgainternational.com/-arthur-hills-signature-course    He played the blues that day.  Not the very back. 

Scorecard 

https://cdn.cybergolf.com/images/2044/LPGA_Hills_Course_Scorecard.pdf

Hole 7

83 course rate 72.4 / 138 ~6600 

Nice-looking course. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 7:29 AM, Paddy_2_Iron said:

Driver

3 Wood

5 Wood

9 Wood (set to 10.5)

8 iron

9 iron

52 wedge

56 wedge

58 wedge

I'm curious why no PW... That's only 10 clubs and there is a large gap between 9i and 52 wedge? 

Maybe he lost it lol

8 hours ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

I'm curious why no PW... That's only 10 clubs and there is a large gap between 9i and 52 wedge? 

Maybe he lost it lol

Very possible he's absent minded.  

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1