Next Year's Cobra Driver?

Boiler0007

Good morning. I watched Rick Shield's interview with Bryson DeChambeau. During the interview, Bryson mentioned this year's LTDx was a good driver, but next years will be way better. Do you think that could potentially affect this years sales?

Personally, I don't think that comment affects me at all since my own swing speed is like half of Bryson's. I was all set on purchasing an LTDx head when I could.  I will admit it did give me some pause, knowing that Cobra's main dude is basically saying he'd rather play next year's driver now if he could. It's that much better. Thoughts?

Here's a link to the interview. Comment about the driver is around the 42:53 mark

Edited by Boiler0007
  • Like 2

That’s really interesting. I’m not sure if this will have an overly negative impact on LTDx sales since a small and probably only a decimal of a percent of potential LTDx consumers listen to Rick Shiels or morso this particular podcast. But I can see it negatively impact if media runs with Bryson’s comments or Bryson keeps repeating in public interviews. 

I also did some video comparisons from Rick Shiels review of the LTDx and his reviews on the Radspeed. Take it for what it is, but his overall numbers (including distance, carry, swing speed, etc.) were worse with the LTDx vs last years Radspeed numbers. I also reviewed some others in similar comparison and came to similar conclusion LTDx is not really moving the needle and results are basically same as Radspeed with some just slightly worse or better within few yards. 

So much talent. So much potential. BDC should be winning everything...

if only he could get his hands on a quality driver. 

So, what's up? 

From where I stand, and after some "research on the internet," it seems abundantly clear that the PGA, USGA, R&A, the World Bank, and UNICEF are trying to undermine his career and are pressuring Cobra to provide him with shoddy equipment.

Why you ask? Well, to eradicate single length irons and the single plane swing once and for all. 

I mean, we still don't know what happened to Moe Norman... THINK ABOUT IT! 😄

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

33 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

I also did some video comparisons from Rick Shiels review of the LTDx and his reviews on the Radspeed. Take it for what it is, but his overall numbers (including distance, carry, swing speed, etc.) were worse with the LTDx vs last years Radspeed numbers. I also reviewed some others in similar comparison and came to similar conclusion LTDx is not really moving the needle and results are basically same as Radspeed with some just slightly worse or better within few yards. 

I'm not sure that's necessarily a great comparison.  Rick isn't exactly a long hitter, and his driving seems somewhat inconsistent.  It's very hard to compare drivers through two separate sessions, nevermind 2 sessions a year apart.   (I also didn't realize Rick was only 35 years old, he seems to have been losing club speed over the past few years)

35 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

results are basically same as Radspeed with some just slightly worse or better within few yards. 

Isn't that going to be the case with almost every new release?  You can't really make a driver any hotter anymore.  The gains are now focused on making the entire face a sweet spot, not just the centre.  

Square up an LTDx or an F8 with the same launch conditions they should go pretty much the exact same.  Difference is what happens off the toe?  Heel?  People are seeing this with the Stealth vs SIM2, Bryson is raving about this with the LTDx, so I have to assume it's just a much more forgiving face, not a hotter face.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

I'm not really a fan of Bryson at all, I think he's a dick and I think he's trying to be way cooler than he is which makes him stand out like a sore thumb on the Tour (I love that he finally stopped wearing the stupid had though). However, I don't think he meant this in the way you all think it means. I highly doubt Cobra already has a physical built version of next year's driver. I know that the second this year's drivers release, R&D is gonna get to work on making next years model, but I don't think they are far enough along yet that they already have a prototype of it.

What I think Bryson means is that next year's driver is going to be "even better" than this year's is because I think Cobra is getting better and better each year at taking data from 2 of the longest hitters in the world that they happen to have on staff (Bryson and Kyle Berkshire) and being able to take their data and feedback and make better drivers because of it. Every golf company's products are pretty damn near identical. Every company has PHD's and supercomputers at their disposal, but where I think Cobra is going to gain an edge on other companies is that they have guys who are working on achieving 200+ mph ball speeds in tournament rounds of golf and not just in speed training sessions. As a result of this, I think Cobra is going to have an edge over other OEM's because they are going to be able to make products that will be able to achieve the numbers Bryson and Berkshire are looking for

*I haven't watched the video yet and I based my response entirely off what the replies to this post were. Someone informed me that in the video Bryson said Cobra has prototypes on the tour truck so that makes my response completely invalid. My b*

Edited by CKaneb
  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D3+

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - 9) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 (46° @ 45°-10F, 50°-12F, 54°-08M), Vokey SM7 (58°-03A) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ (46°, 50°) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S Black PVD (54°, 58°) | D4

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1) & Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack Midsize (1 + 1), Winn Pistol 17"

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

17 minutes ago, CKaneb said:

I'm not really a fan of Bryson at all, I think he's a dick and I think he's trying to be way cooler than he is which makes him stand out like a sore thumb on the Tour (I love that he finally stopped wearing the stupid had though). However, I don't think he meant this in the way you all think it means. I highly doubt Cobra already has a physical built version of next year's driver. I know that the second this year's drivers release, R&D is gonna get to work on making next years model, but I don't think they are far enough along yet that they already have a prototype of it.

What I think Bryson means is that next year's driver is going to be "even better" than this year's is because I think Cobra is getting better and better each year at taking data from 2 of the longest hitters in the world that they happen to have on staff (Bryson and Kyle Berkshire) and being able to take their data and feedback and make better drivers because of it. Every golf company's products are pretty damn near identical. Every company has PHD's and supercomputers at their disposal, but where I think Cobra is going to gain an edge on other companies is that they have guys who are working on achieving 200+ mph ball speeds in tournament rounds of golf and not just in speed training sessions. As a result of this, I think Cobra is going to have an edge over other OEM's because they are going to be able to make products that will be able to achieve the numbers Bryson and Berkshire are looking for

You really think Cobra develops a new driver over the span of less than a year?

The moment most of the R&D is complete on the LTDx, they started on the next one. They may  have even built many prototypes last year, one being next year's head which just isn't quite ready to go.

Not sure why Bryson would lie.  He said Cobra has prototypes on the truck.  If they haven't started building the next one, that's just an unnecessary blatant lie.  It makes no sense.  They literally had a conversation about what it's like having this driver that they know exists, that he's not allowed to use.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, amace04 said:

You really think Cobra develops a new driver over the span of less than a year?

The moment most of the R&D is complete on the LTDx, they started on the next one. They may  have even built many prototypes last year, one being next year's head which just isn't quite ready to go.

Not sure why Bryson would lie.  He said Cobra has prototypes on the truck.  If they haven't started building the next one, that's just an unnecessary blatant lie.  It makes no sense.  They literally had a conversation about what it's like having this driver that they know exists, that he's not allowed to use.

oh my bad then, I haven't watched the video and based my response based off what people were saying on here. Definitely don't think Bryson would blatantly lie ab that

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D3+

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - 9) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 (46° @ 45°-10F, 50°-12F, 54°-08M), Vokey SM7 (58°-03A) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ (46°, 50°) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S Black PVD (54°, 58°) | D4

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1) & Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack Midsize (1 + 1), Winn Pistol 17"

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Bryson has got to be the biggest tool on tour at this point.  He's spends way too much time sniffing his own farts.  He's becoming almost insufferable.  

• Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

I had a similar thought when I heard it in real time. I doubt anyone pondering the LTDx right now is going to put off buying it for a whole product cycle because Cobra is already working on the replacement. I enjoyed the moment because it was actual candor and not just a robot spouting sponsorship script; I won't bust him up about it because I don't want to stifle that kind of openness. 

Also, he hits a 4.5 degree driver. What he likes and needs has no relevance to my game. 

Titleist TSi2 9.0° | Bridgestone Tour B JGR 7w

PING G425 Crossover 2i

PING G425 4i-9i

PING Glide 3.0 46, 50, 54 Eye 2, 58.6 | Mizuno OMOI 02

5 hours ago, amace04 said:

I'm not sure that's necessarily a great comparison.  Rick isn't exactly a long hitter, and his driving seems somewhat inconsistent.  It's very hard to compare drivers through two separate sessions, nevermind 2 sessions a year apart.   (I also didn't realize Rick was only 35 years old, he seems to have been losing club speed over the past few years)

Isn't that going to be the case with almost every new release?  You can't really make a driver any hotter anymore.  The gains are now focused on making the entire face a sweet spot, not just the centre.  

Square up an LTDx or an F8 with the same launch conditions they should go pretty much the exact same.  Difference is what happens off the toe?  Heel?  People are seeing this with the Stealth vs SIM2, Bryson is raving about this with the LTDx, so I have to assume it's just a much more forgiving face, not a hotter face.

Rick hits it longer than the average PGA tour player. That would define him as a long hitter IMO and in the overall golf industry (to include amateurs and pros). I’m not saying Rick is the poster child or perfect example of club review comparisons. My point being there’s marginal differences in drivers year to year to include distance, forgiveness, ball speed retention across the face, etc. Just used Rick as a sample set along with many other YouTube influencers and industry expert testing (e.g. MGS Most Wanted) and always reach the same conclusion of marginal differences across the board. Used Cobra LTDx vs. Radspeed as an example since original thread is based on LTDx model. But yes, agree this is true for most OEM companies.

Edited by HarborMike

34 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

Rick hits it longer than the average PGA tour player. That would define him as a long hitter IMO and in the overall golf industry (to include amateurs and pros). I’m not saying Rick is the poster child or perfect example of club review comparisons. My point being there’s marginal differences in drivers year to year to include distance, forgiveness, ball speed retention across the face, etc. Just used Rick as a sample set along with many other YouTube influencers and industry expert testing (e.g. MGS Most Wanted) and always reach the same conclusion of marginal differences across the board. Used Cobra LTDx vs. Radspeed as an example since original thread is based on LTDx model. But yes, agree this is true for most OEM companies.

Barely topping 300 isn't a "Long" hitter.   Yes, it's above average, but that doesn't make him long.

My point is, his driving is inconsistent video to video, his swing speed (by his own admission) is slowing down.  It's simply not possible to draw fair comparisons using data from two sessions separated by a year.

The distance differences should be negligible across the board.  It's been that way for years.  There's a maximum COR clubs must adhere to.  They simply can't make them hotter on centered strikes.  They do however make them substantially hotter on off-centred strikes.  The problem with Pro reviews, is they don't often have the misses your average local golfer does, and they exclude bad shots from averages.  That doesn't paint a proper picture of how the club actually performs.

The golfing world when buying a new driver year after year. 

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

10 minutes ago, amace04 said:

Barely topping 300 isn't a "Long" hitter.   Yes, it's above average, but that doesn't make him long.

My point is, his driving is inconsistent video to video, his swing speed (by his own admission) is slowing down.  It's simply not possible to draw fair comparisons using data from two sessions separated by a year.

The distance differences should be negligible across the board.  It's been that way for years.  There's a maximum COR clubs must adhere to.  They simply can't make them hotter on centered strikes.  They do however make them substantially hotter on off-centred strikes.  The problem with Pro reviews, is they don't often have the misses your average local golfer does, and they exclude bad shots from averages.  That doesn't paint a proper picture of how the club actually performs.

Average amateur length with a driver is 215 yds and you don’t think 300+ is classified as long hitter?….mmmkay 🤔

Just now, HarborMike said:

Average amateur length with a driver is 215 yds and you don’t think 300+ is classified as long hitter?….mmmkay 🤔

Well that sucks for them, but Rick isn't an amateur, he's a PGA Golf Professional.   In the context of golf pros, he's nothing special, and his reviews are not particularly helpful either when comparing equipment.

You cite average amateur length.  Amateurs shouldn't be focused on how many yards extra you get when you absolutely flush an LTDx in the centre with proper launch conditions vs the Radspeed.  They should be concerned about what happens when you mishit each, as that's what most of their drives are.  That's something you've failed to mention in your evaluation of the two drivers.

6 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I'm a bryson fan. I like guys who do things their own way. 

But I hate it when he talks. There was absolutely zero need for that comment when this year's driver JUST GOT RELEASED.  The guy has zero presence for what his words say. Dude is a narcissist...and i don't say that lightly. 

He’s just like some other guys. Really smart but when they begin talking they say really stupid things. His comments about not yelling fore on errant shots are just idiotic…

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

He’s just like some other guys. Really smart but when they begin talking they say really stupid things. His comments about not yelling fore on errant shots are just idiotic…

He just doesn't think outside of himself. That's great for being a phenomenal golfer. But he's just ignorant of how he comes off...or he's been told and he just doesn't care.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

He just doesn't think outside of himself. That's great for being a phenomenal golfer. But he's just ignorant of how he comes off...or he's been told and he just doesn't care.

He’s definitely in the I’m right and the rest of the world are the crazy ones belief.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Just in from Cobra - "Byrson is wrong. This is the best driver. Next year's model will be complete garbage."

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner