2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway c4 vs stealth

meh

Just for some context. I really like Mark Crossfield's content. He doesn't repost old videos for money like click shiels, he always says to get fit and (IMO) doesn't favour his sponsor over anyone else. 

Anyway, as the callaway c4 seems to cop more abuse on here than any other club in memory (again, just my opinion) I found this vid really interesting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, meh said:

Was the c4 a fit head? Sounds like you are the one with the bias.

He talks about years of tech innovation. It doesnt matter about the c4, it was much more difficult to fit heads back then. 

Tech has changed. Why wouldn't he take advantage of the tech? Higher launch with low spin is an asset of tech innovation. 

Like I said, he knows what he's doing with a video like this. 

Fitted c4....did you really type that out?  Are you someone who believes that center of contact with driver is faster today than when c4 was made...after cor limits?

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

He talks about years of tech innovation. It doesnt matter about the c4, it was much more difficult to fit heads back then. 

Tech has changed. Why wouldn't he take advantage of the tech? Higher launch with low spin is an asset of tech innovation. 

Like I said, he knows what he's doing with a video like this. 

Fitted c4....did you really type that out? 

Didn't need any confirmation but thanks.

9 minutes ago, Flip4000 said:

Eh, I like Mark, but he definitely pulls his punches when it comes to brands that are actively " keeping the lights on". 

I think the take away I had from this was the biggest gain we have gotten over the years is forgiveness not pure center distance, although for many golfers forgiveness on off center strikes would lead to more distance.

It is kinda funny that this vid stemmed from Callaway taking a shot at taylormade on instagram stating that they came up with this tech years ago but have moved beyond to something better. If this performs similar to the stealth which performs similar to the current rogue, have they really moved on to anything "better"?  

Not sure I agree with your first point. For mine, the only company he gives it to is TM and only does it for the marketing guff, geocoustic anyone? He is generally always complementary of the performance, looks and sound of TM stuff. 

Definitely agree on the rest.

5 minutes ago, meh said:

Not sure I agree with your first point. For mine, the only company he gives it to is TM and only does it for the marketing guff, geocoustic anyone? He is generally always complementary of the performance, looks and sound of TM stuff. 

Definitely agree on the rest.

That's true, but Mark usually does reviews somewhat trolling the marketing of the club he is testing. Obviously taylormade is the biggest and loudest in their marketing so of course he is going to take shots at them. To your point, he does have some history with taylormade so it's much easier for him to lay into them over others.

As I have gone back and watched some of his videos on Srixon, cleveland or Xixio, I really haven't seen him as willing to go after some of the marketing claims like he does others. Maybe they are more conservative in their claims or maybe there's a little incentive to maybe be a bit nicer, who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meh said:

Just for some context. I really like Mark Crossfield's content. He doesn't repost old videos for money like click shiels, he always says to get fit and (IMO) doesn't favour his sponsor over anyone else. 

Anyway, as the callaway c4 seems to cop more abuse on here than any other club in memory (again, just my opinion) I found this vid really interesting.

YouTube optics for “stealth” are way up in terms of views for golf YouTubersss.    Clickbait and a general TM bashing IMO

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

2 hours ago, meh said:

What part of the video did you find INTERESTING? 

• Haha 1

I love the part where he subtly brags about being able to change his set up or delivery to get the most out of the C4. Well, that ain't most of his viewers.  They are gonna be spraying that thing left and right and 40 yards short of the modern gimmicky driver they left at home.  Then they are really gonna be pissed once they try to get that thing reshafted.  I remember those, they were a nightmare.   I welcome anyone EXCEPT the groups I'm playing behind to throw a C4 in the bag.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

Not a fan of Crossfield - I watched his videos for a little while but had to stop. There was only so much of his personality combined with his I know better than you attitude that I could stomach. It is not as if I am missing anything, all his reviews were the same - new club is good, get fit, might be the one for you, might not. 

The C4 driver was absolutely horrendous! It might have been the case that Callaway had a good idea but it definitely seems that the idea was never fully baked before they took it to the market.

Go easy on the OP guys. Seems quite clear that what he found interesting was the results of the video. You might not agree with how Crossfield went about doing it or the results but honestly, it seems like some of you are just jumping on him for the sake of it which is not fair. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I think people are being a bit harsh: kudo's to MC for being able to even hit that C4 fairly well. He does note the forgiveness of them modern driver in the video, which is what just about anyone with an ounce of common sense knows: drivers are only gaining help across the face. Middle is middle and you will see negligible gains. 

For those pooping on Mark, his trolling has merits: the only company that competes with Taylormade in my youtube ads is PXG (NOW IN PHILADELPHIA) so there's that.  And I game TM myself (along with Cally and Miura: call me  'ho) 

- b

9 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I love to see old vs new videos. I just like to see them without bias. 

What's the bias? Is Callaway paying for him to review the C4? 

• Confused 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

It is surprising when you see an old club still go the distance.  My buddy was hitting drives past me a few weeks ago with a 905.  The club is a decade and a half old, but still flew 280+.  Watching him battle the shaft and relatively unforgiving head was a time warp though. 

Heck, we did a happy hour work indoor golf thing a bit ago and someone showed up with a persimmon with a steel shaft.  Surprisingly I was able to hit that thing within 20 yards of my G410.  Had us all laughing. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

It's funny how people get wound up about bias from YouTube channels that provide them with loads of free entertainment content. 

Every other source you can name for reviews about golf equipment is biased. All of them. 

The golf magazines and the Golf Channel are biased in favor of sponsors to the extent that their reviews of OEM gear are never explicitly negative. You'd have to read between the lines very carefully to find any evidence that the new gear being reviewed isn't an improvement over the prior year's gear. You'll never see anything but the latest gear in their instructional photos. 

No one is going to bite the hand that feeds. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

53 minutes ago, RCGA said:

What's the bias? Is Callaway paying for him to review the C4? 

Oh, I've watched Crossfield long enough to know he's got a pretty clear bias against TaylorMade.  I've been told some backstory, not sure if any is true, but it seems like he was the only big YTer to not have the Stealth pre-embargo.  

Crossfield's right-hand man, Coach Lockey, is sponsored by Callaway.  Not sure that has anything to do with his takes, which just seem more anti-TM.

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl Stiff

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

4 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Not a fan of Crossfield - I watched his videos for a little while but had to stop. There was only so much of his personality combined with his I know better than you attitude that I could stomach. It is not as if I am missing anything, all his reviews were the same - new club is good, get fit, might be the one for you, might not. 

The C4 driver was absolutely horrendous! It might have been the case that Callaway had a good idea but it definitely seems that the idea was never fully baked before they took it to the market.

Go easy on the OP guys. Seems quite clear that what he found interesting was the results of the video. You might not agree with how Crossfield went about doing it or the results but honestly, it seems like some of you are just jumping on him for the sake of it which is not fair. 

Totally agree.  I used to be a fan of him 10 years ago but was totally turned off when he started to be sponsored by Titleist and turning it into a boy's club with having Coach Lockey and his minions with him.  But I found it fascinating how closely the C4 kept up with the Stealth and I really couldn't care who did the reviewing.

Yes.  Back then, the C4 was horrendous mostly because people were turned off by the muted sound and I even think that the CEO at that time was fired because of that club.  To me, the market was not ready for the C4's technology until now.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

8 minutes ago, me05501 said:

It's funny how people get wound up about bias from YouTube channels that provide them with loads of free entertainment content. 

Every other source you can name for reviews about golf equipment is biased. All of them. 

The golf magazines, and the Golf Channel are biased in favor of sponsors to the extent that their reviews of OEM gear are never explicitly negative. You'd have to read between the lines very carefully to find any evidence that the new gear being reviewed isn't an improvement over the prior year's gear. You'll never see anything but the latest gear in their instructional photos. 

No one is going to bite the hand that feeds. 

This is part of the reason why Crossfield likes piling on TM.  They told him that they wouldn't sent him product once he signed a deal with Titleist because he couldn't be objective anymore.  His response was then how can you trust a review from anyone who is sponsored, including TM staffers.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

It is surprising when you see an old club still go the distance.  My buddy was hitting drives past me a few weeks ago with a 905.  The club is a decade and a half old, but still flew 280+.  Watching him battle the shaft and relatively unforgiving head was a time warp though. 

Heck, we did a happy hour work indoor golf thing a bit ago and someone showed up with a persimmon with a steel shaft.  Surprisingly I was able to hit that thing within 20 yards of my G410.  Had us all laughing. 

It's not really surprising tho. Cor has been maxed since the early 2000s or late 90s. Center strikes have been governed. 

How about the test be repeated using stealth and the Callaway erc driver. Guess which driver would win the length battle...?

• Like 2