Taylormade 2022 mb/mc replacement?

Shaqlemore

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, Shaqlemore said:

talked to a TM Rep today. new P7mb/MCs and 770s coming along with the new woods in 23. announcement late sept/october

I was told the same thing from someone in the know. Being an MB guy, our focus went on that line. Supposed to be more similar to the 2020 MB than the 730 (which was a disappointment for me). Little “bump” on the back of the iron is supposedly more central than the current MB. Softer sole than the 730 with more camber too. Lots of wins if you ask me but what I really want is a milled grind 730 with a sole that emulates the 46’ MG3. 

New MC and 770 are more of an evolution on the 2020s as well. A little weight likely shifting around to bring the CG more central. Like I said earlier, we didn’t discuss these as much. The MC is expected to blend very seamlessly into to MB which would be a nice win (especially if the offset matches up better with the MB). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

18 hours ago, rebby said:

I was told the same thing from someone in the know. Being an MB guy, our focus went on that line. Supposed to be more similar to the 2020 MB than the 730 (which was a disappointment for me). Little “bump” on the back of the iron is supposedly more central than the current MB. Softer sole than the 730 with more camber too. Lots of wins if you ask me but what I really want is a milled grind 730 with a sole that emulates the 46’ MG3. 

New MC and 770 are more of an evolution on the 2020s as well. A little weight likely shifting around to bring the CG more central. Like I said earlier, we didn’t discuss these as much. The MC is expected to blend very seamlessly into to MB which would be a nice win (especially if the offset matches up better with the MB). 

I HOPE the New MC is more like a re-vamped 760 in disguise 

I think there is such a huge gap to the 770 right now, that should be a key goal of this release

Looking forward to details 

all intel appreciated

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morry said:

I HOPE the New MC is more like a re-vamped 760 in disguise 

I think there is such a huge gap to the 770 right now, that should be a key goal of this release

Looking forward to details 

all intel appreciated

So what is the gap with the 770? I hear people not liking them but I just went for my fitting and I loved them and I have the i210’s.

I love my i210’s but I found 770’s to be more solid and I gained a bit more distance too. Don’t know what to do but would love to hear from people who have the 770’s as to what’s their problems with them after using or having them?

1 hour ago, Mrvelani said:

So what is the gap with the 770? I hear people not liking them but I just went for my fitting and I loved them and I have the i210’s.

I love my i210’s but I found 770’s to be more solid and I gained a bit more distance too. Don’t know what to do but would love to hear from people who have the 770’s as to what’s their problems with them after using or having them?

It’s not a problem with the 770’s, it’s the jump from the MC’s which are quite a small cavity profile to the 770’s which are players distance irons with no in between. Previous irons (specifically 760) have filled the gap perfectly, but now they don’t have a filler between them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacobanderson123 said:

It’s not a problem with the 770’s, it’s the jump from the MC’s which are quite a small cavity profile to the 770’s which are players distance irons with no in between. Previous irons (specifically 760) have filled the gap perfectly, but now they don’t have a filler between them.

There’s so much fan fare for the P760s, but I don’t really get how it’s that much better than a P7MC-770 combo set. I play the MCs and love them, but I can see why someone would want a touch more forgiveness in the mid to long irons with a 770. The only answer I can think of is the desire to have a proper full iron set. Otherwise, I think TaylorMade does offer a solution for those who loved the P760s. That, or save yourself $700 and buy a set of preowned 760s on eBay. 😁 

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

On 8/21/2022 at 1:56 PM, mister2cool said:

Bring back the RAC MB Smoky!!!

taylormade-mb-tp-smoke-irons.jpg%3Fmode=pad

Agreed!

Whilst they are at it also bring back the TP line/logo 

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

1 hour ago, zap311 said:

There’s so much fan fare for the P760s, but I don’t really get how it’s that much better than a P7MC-770 combo set. I play the MCs and love them, but I can see why someone would want a touch more forgiveness in the mid to long irons with a 770. The only answer I can think of is the desire to have a proper full iron set. Otherwise, I think TaylorMade does offer a solution for those who loved the P760s. That, or save yourself $700 and buy a set of preowned 760s on eBay. 😁 

The MC’s and the 770’s don’t blend that well. There’s a big jump in loft, offset, and head size between them. Not to mention that the 770’s are hollow heads and much hotter off the face.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacobanderson123 said:

Got it, thank you that makes sense.  The master fitter I was working with himself was using a combo set of 770-MC and said he loves it.

7 hours ago, jacobanderson123 said:

The MC’s and the 770’s don’t blend that well. There’s a big jump in loft, offset, and head size between them. Not to mention that the 770’s are hollow heads and much hotter off the face.

Can’t argue with the fact that 770s are a bit hotter as I have heard that and know it from previously having 790s. 

I just want to clarify the “big” spec differences you mention. Here’s the 7 and 4 iron specs, which seem like fairly small differences in lofts and offset and could also be adjusted with bending. 

P7MC 7 iron: 34* / 2.1mm offset

P770 7 iron: 33* / 2.4mm offset

P7MC 4 iron: 23* / 2.7mm offset

P770 4 iron: 22.5* / 3.3mm offset

Ultimately, I’m not saying TaylorMade shouldn’t come out with an updated P760 model. However, I’m not optimistic it will happen since they already have 5 iron models (MB, MC, 770, 790, Stealth), which I would imagine covers 99% of golfers. I do think it could make sense to soften the hot face on the 770 to make it more controllable for better players, but that may not serve the majority of their customers.  

Edited by zap311
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

1 hour ago, zap311 said:

Can’t argue with the fact that 770s are a bit hotter as I have heard that and know it from previously having 790s. 

I just want to clarify the “big” spec differences you mention. Here’s the 7 and 4 iron specs, which seem like fairly small differences in lofts and offset and could also be adjusted with bending. 

P7MC 7 iron: 34* / 2.1mm offset

P770 7 iron: 33* / 2.4mm offset

P7MC 4 iron: 23* / 2.7mm offset

P770 4 iron: 22.5* / 3.3mm offset

Ultimately, I’m not saying TaylorMade shouldn’t come out with an updated P760 model. However, I’m not optimistic it will happen since they already have 5 iron models (MB, MC, 770, 790, Stealth), which I would imagine covers 99% of golfers. I do think it could make sense to soften the hot face on the 770 to make it more controllable for better players, but that may not serve the majority of their customers.  

Interesting to see that the specs were much closer than I thought. When set down next to each other they seem vastly different. And I believe it's confirmed that the 760 line is done, no update coming.

I think it’s funny that people are clamoring for a new P760 but if I remember correctly they weren’t all that well liked before and it didn’t sell well. Not sure why maybe someone can refresh my memory. I thought I remember that cycle blending well between the 750, 760, 770. Although they all sort of looked alike?

After looking at current product offerings I can see why they ditched the 760 before. If you’re a player looking for a solid forged CB you’re probably not looking for something clunky. If you want the look of a players club with more distance/forgiveness you will look at the 770. Even as a blade player I think the 770 looks nice. Not sure a product between the 2 is needed and why it died off. Maybe they’ll bring it back. 

If you break it down by handicap and average want/look/feel here’s what maybe their thinking is?

0-5 Blades

5-10 Players CB

10-15 770 equivalent 

15-20 790 equivalent

20+ Shovel of the year? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

I think it’s funny that people are clamoring for a new P760 but if I remember correctly they weren’t all that well liked before and it didn’t sell well. Not sure why maybe someone can refresh my memory. I thought I remember that cycle blending well between the 750, 760, 770. Although they all sort of looked alike?

After looking at current product offerings I can see why they ditched the 760 before. If you’re a player looking for a solid forged CB you’re probably not looking for something clunky. If you want the look of a players club with more distance/forgiveness you will look at the 770. Even as a blade player I think the 770 looks nice. Not sure a product between the 2 is needed and why it died off. Maybe they’ll bring it back. 

If you break it down by handicap and average want/look/feel here’s what maybe their thinking is?

0-5 Blades

5-10 Players CB

10-15 770 equivalent 

15-20 790 equivalent

20+ Shovel of the year? 

+1 here….4-6 770……7-P P7MC

No need to overthink 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, elwhippy said:

Need to improve feel. P770s feel empty.

They feel plenty fine when hitting the middle. I think people are missing the point, 770 are player irons but with distance. If you want the feel on the entire face just go with MC or MB but you won’t get the forgiveness like the 770.

But it’s all subjective. I have i210’s but when I hit the 770 in the middle they felt better than my i210’s.

• Like 4

I don't have a problem with mixing the 770s 5-8 and the P7 MCs 9-Pw. I also use an M3 4 iron (2* weak). But I have my own Lie and loft machine to set everything where I want it. I have no gaps. Everything is seamless.

• Like 1

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Shouldn't be any issues mixing the current line and the to be announced line.  I believe TM even has a chart on how to mix them.  If you want a set of 760's, go buy em, they're out there on the used market.

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

15 hours ago, Mrvelani said:

They feel plenty fine when hitting the middle. I think people are missing the point, 770 are player irons but with distance. If you want the feel on the entire face just go with MC or MB but you won’t get the forgiveness like the 770.

But it’s all subjective. I have i210’s but when I hit the 770 in the middle they felt better than my i210’s.

100% disagree. 

2020 P770 are some of the most clicky irons I’ve ever hit, even with a ProV1, and middled. Even the 790 feel better 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

100% disagree. 

2020 P770 are some of the most clicky irons I’ve ever hit, even with a ProV1, and middled. Even the 790 feel better 

well SAID 

could Not agree more 

can't wait till they actually come out with a new '760' to fill the enormous hole in their lineup currently 

• Like 1

New 770 will have a slimmer topline and the better speed foam air; should feel better and look better especially at address in a combo with MC. The big question in my mind is if/how they update soles. I like my 770/MC combo but the sole interaction differences between the two are substantial. 

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H