Any juniors playing the new Cobra LTDx driver?

wildcatden

My local fitter is still waiting to get the Cobra heads in and I have a fitting scheduled for 2/22. My daughter plays all Cobra stuff because i get a big discount on their clubs being a HS coach. So we are going in to see if we get any better numbers with the new Cobra heads. I already have a good shaft for her driver so I'll just pull that out and compare it with her current Radspeed head and the new one. I've also got to look at her fairway woods and hybrids. I've heard great things about the new cobra heads but so far I really havent seen much difference between one club and another with my daughter. At least not enough to justify paying a fortune to go away from Cobra. The new TM Stealth is supposed to be legit so we may try that for kicks.

• Like 2

I have a LTDxLS ordered with Ventus Black 6 TX Shaft.

He has not hit this driver yet.  He tried the Stealth+ which was better than the Sim2.  Tried the Rogue and the numbers weren't as good as the Sim2 he is currently gaming.  We were ready to purchase the Stealth+ and held off until the Cobra Demo Day at the Club.  Rep didn't have the new heads, but set him up in the Radspeed XB.  Dialed it in and the numbers on the Radspeed were better than the Sim2 and just as good as the Stealth+.  The dispersion was a little better.   He liked the feel of the Radspeed better.  Rep told us the LTDxLS was better than the Radspeed.  Told us to order it and if he didn't like the head he would get us a Radspeed XB.  Just waiting for it to come in.

Some guys on this board have their kids in the Stealth and through texts they say "It is like cheating with this driver."

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter got fit on Tuesday. She tried all of the LTX heads and the best result was with the LS version. She got better ball speed numbers as well as carry numbers. By the end of the fitting she was hitting her driver (Radspeed) just as well so need to change. She didnt like the feel of the LTX as much as her Radspeed. 

• Like 2

Picked the Driver up yesterday, but haven't been on the Trackman yet.  Going to get it dialed in tomorrow.  His initial reactions were "Best Driver I have ever hit."  It isn't because it is new.  He is equipment finicky.  He knows what he likes and what he doesn't like.  The Garmin R whatever it is piece of garbage was showing low 170's ball speeds compare to high 160's with his Sim2.

• Like 4

Tested the Stealth Several weeks ago and Club head average was 112.7 and ball speed 167.  

Cobra LTDXLS with Ventus Black 6 TX.  9 degrees with weights set to fade bias his average club head was at 115 and change when you take out the test settings.  Heel Mishits still carrying 275-280 and in play.

56D89625-D597-4369-B346-79BA12D4D5CC.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks @heavy_hitter for the followup.  That looks like he is locked and loaded for the season on that club.  Could you provide information or milestones as to how your kid got to 115mph clubhead speed?  For example, what was his clubhead speed progression as he aged from 8, 9, 10, 11, until current? Was he always one of the longer hitters in his age group?

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

On 2/26/2022 at 11:15 PM, wildcatden said:

Thanks @heavy_hitter for the followup.  That looks like he is locked and loaded for the season on that club.  Could you provide information or milestones as to how your kid got to 115mph clubhead speed?  For example, what was his clubhead speed progression as he aged from 8, 9, 10, 11, until current? Was he always one of the longer hitters in his age group?

He was above average until around 12.  The next couple of years he went through sever's disease, broken hand, broken finger, and another broken finger.  18 months out for injury which I am sure had something to do with slowing down the development.  At 12 he was around 92mph and 14 he was 98 tops.  By 14 he was one of the shorter hitters out there.  Not the shortest but average or below average in my opinion.  He tried Super Speeds and didn't work at all.  He started getting longer when he started TPI and Olympic style power lifting a long with rotational exercises to build stability.

As far as exact swing speeds over ages, have no clue.

As of now he is one of the longer hitters on the junior circuit.  Not the longest hitter, but he is in the top 10%.  On his HS team this year there were two kids in the 120's.  Yes his HS team is good.  Played a tournament about 3 weekends ago with a kid that was blowing it by him by 20 yards.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

He was above average until around 12.  The next couple of years he went through sever's disease, broken hand, broken finger, and another broken finger.  18 months out for injury which I am sure had something to do with slowing down the development.  At 12 he was around 92mph and 14 he was 98 tops.  By 14 he was one of the shorter hitters out there.  Not the shortest but average or below average in my opinion.  He tried Super Speeds and didn't work at all.  He started getting longer when he started TPI and Olympic style power lifting a long with rotational exercises to build stability.

As far as exact swing speeds over ages, have no clue.

As of now he is one of the longer hitters on the junior circuit.  Not the longest hitter, but he is in the top 10%.  On his HS team this year there were two kids in the 120's.  Yes his HS team is good.  Played a tournament about 3 weekends ago with a kid that was blowing it by him by 20 yards.

Thanks HH.  Looks like my kid  has a long way to go. He's  11YO (and 3 months) and has highest measured at 75mph on the Mevo+ when we use it.  Most of the time we are 72-73mph.  We started some TPI-like workouts with a professional about 2 months ago. He was more like 69-70mph back in December so it is helping. 

We have not really seen gains from Super Speed, but we also tend to get so busy that we are not good at staying on top of the program.

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

If a kid isn't strong enough through the chest (push Muscles) and legs (jump muscles), juniors are just spinning wheels with Speed Swing Programs.  My kid increased 10 mph in 6 months just with lifting under a TPI certified coach without do any Speed Swing Protocol.  He now averages 115 club head speed and hasn't swung a Super Speed since he was 13 now 16.

My Advice to juniors, don't put them in adult driver heads too early.  The Swing Weight, not the club weight, will slow the progress down of gaining speed.  Putting them in those adult heads early helps them then, but causes problems when they get older.

It's great to hear that swing speed gains could be coming.  Obviously, your son has put in the required hard work.  That's what I keep telling my kid and I think it has been helpful to show him launch monitor numbers improving.  Baseball season has also started. That wreaks havoc on his swing to some degree, but it is important that he learns to "control" or "differentiate" the two. Plus, he gained a full club length last spring when returning to golf from baseball.

Our workout coach does the TPI measurements on a quarterly basis. It is definitely very helpful as my kid's vertical jump is in the 90th percentile but his chest (push muscles) are more like 25th percentile. Makes total sense. Even though his numbers show he needs strength improvement to get added swing speed/distance, I'm probably still going to have him fitted for driver with an eye on the LTDx.  

Also, we did the adult OEM head early (Cobra Fly-Z+ head, no weight installed (played around with weights installed as well), Flynn shaft) when he was 7.5 years old. To other parents, that was a mistake I made. I should have just bought the next USKG Tour Series driver when he grew out of his old TS-51 driver.

Thanks again HH!!

Here are the charts being used for anyone who is interested:

image.png.da8e119d66533d18c6b8025b36ded438.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

It's great to hear that swing speed gains could be coming.  Obviously, your son has put in the required hard work.  That's what I keep telling my kid and I think it has been helpful to show him launch monitor numbers improving.  Baseball season has also started. That wreaks havoc on his swing to some degree, but it is important that he learns to "control" or "differentiate" the two. Plus, he gained a full club length last spring when returning to golf from baseball.

Our workout coach does the TPI measurements on a quarterly basis. It is definitely very helpful as my kid's vertical jump is in the 90th percentile but his chest (push muscles) are more like 25th percentile. Makes total sense. Even though his numbers show he needs strength improvement to get added swing speed/distance, I'm probably still going to have him fitted for driver with an eye on the LTDx.  

Also, we did the adult OEM head early (Cobra Fly-Z+ head, no weight installed (played around with weights installed as well), Flynn shaft) when he was 7.5 years old. To other parents, that was a mistake I made. I should have just bought the next USKG Tour Series driver when he grew out of his old TS-51 driver.

Thanks again HH!!

Looks like Par4Success charts.  Good Stuff.  Your boy sounds like mine honestly.  His lower body is really strong.  Deadlifts over 300, leg presses 600.  Upper body needed help and when he got it saw big gains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcatden said:

Thanks again HH!!

Makes me feel good about my junior high shot put results, thanks for that!

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, heavy_hitter said:

I have a LTDxLS ordered with Ventus Black 6 TX Shaft.

He has not hit this driver yet.  He tried the Stealth+ which was better than the Sim2.  Tried the Rogue and the numbers weren't as good as the Sim2 he is currently gaming.  We were ready to purchase the Stealth+ and held off until the Cobra Demo Day at the Club.  Rep didn't have the new heads, but set him up in the Radspeed XB.  Dialed it in and the numbers on the Radspeed were better than the Sim2 and just as good as the Stealth+.  The dispersion was a little better.   He liked the feel of the Radspeed better.  Rep told us the LTDxLS was better than the Radspeed.  Told us to order it and if he didn't like the head he would get us a Radspeed XB.  Just waiting for it to come in.

Some guys on this board have their kids in the Stealth and through texts they say "It is like cheating with this driver."

So we did a Callaway fitting day today. Hit the Rogue St max and it was 15 yards longer than the Mavrik max my son is currently playing. Everything about it was better. Ball flight, dispersion, and distance.

Based on what you’ve seen, it seems like it would be worth comparing the the Cobra LTD and Stealth to the Rogue?

On 3/5/2022 at 8:51 PM, Movingday said:

So we did a Callaway fitting day today. Hit the Rogue St max and it was 15 yards longer than the Mavrik max my son is currently playing. Everything about it was better. Ball flight, dispersion, and distance.

Based on what you’ve seen, it seems like it would be worth comparing the the Cobra LTD and Stealth to the Rogue?

My kid played the Mavrik Sub Zero.  Absolute beast for distance, absolutely horrible for dispersion.

I am not a Callaway fan.  The Rogue is a good driver though.  This is what WRX fitters are saying.  

https://www.golfwrx.com/672400/best-driver-2022-expert-club-fitters-recommend-the-best-driver-for-you/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People have built in biases. They just do. If he getting 15 more yards of carry I'd buy two. When my daughter tested the new Callaway it was easily the 2nd best driver she hit that day outside of hers although I found the spin to be higher but could have been the s*** shaft. If you obtaining that kind of jump then do it assuming it was carry. If its total throw that out the window. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mojomover said:

Curious about the Cobra LTDx as well. Son used to play F9, moved to TSi1 and wondering if there is a big difference between F9 and RadSpeed/LTDx? 

My daughter has the Radpseed and we tested it against the new Cobra drivers. The only one that initially got better numbers was the LTX- LS and by the end there wasn't any difference. Unless you have a really old head or a bad driver-shaft combination, you aren't going to see much difference.

28 minutes ago, Golfingdawg19 said:

My daughter has the Radpseed and we tested it against the new Cobra drivers. The only one that initially got better numbers was the LTX- LS and by the end there wasn't any difference. Unless you have a really old head or a bad driver-shaft combination, you aren't going to see much difference.

Thanks, helpful. Was wondering, how old and swing speed of your daughter? My son is almost 10, 58”, and around 78-80mph clubhead speed

On 3/21/2022 at 1:31 AM, mojomover said:

Curious about the Cobra LTDx as well. Son used to play F9, moved to TSi1 and wondering if there is a big difference between F9 and RadSpeed/LTDx? 

@mojomover Curious on the gains from F9 to Tsi1?  My 11YO son plays F9(Recoil F2).  Due for fitting in the next month so we'll see for ourselves, but curious to hear your feedback.  darter is a big fan of the Tsi1 too.  Thanks.

Edited by hangontight

22 hours ago, Golfingdawg19 said:

My daughter played the Radspeed XD Last Year.  Going to go with the Radspeed XB this year as she seems to miss with a pull right and close the face so don't need draw help that she has always used out of habit).  The danger with Radspeed and others with weight forward settings is you can sure get max distance and lower spin but it's dispertion at the end of the day so we opted for more stable version but no haven't hit the new stuff due to prices.  Crazy these days. I'm having trouble crossing the $500-600 threshold, never mind more.

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

1 hour ago, hangontight said:

@mojomover Curious on the gains from F9 to Tsi1?  My 11YO son plays F9(Recoil F2).  Due for fitting in the next month so we'll see for ourselves, but curious to hear your feedback.  darter is a big fan of the Tsi1 too.  Thanks.

I'm a fan of TSi1 due to its weight and to create as much speed as possible. Some cases you can gain more speed from heavier but that's not always gonna be the case. I did however add extra weight to her tsi1 as it brought up the ball speed for her case. Going from F9 to any current line the difference will and only be off center hits. Maybe spin reduction as that's their target now as well as higher launch angles. Everything today is about launching it higher lower the spin with good off center ball speeds. 

• Like 3

One of my buddies tried the Cobra LTD, coming from a Sim Max, he said that he definitely has gained some distance (5-7 yds) but he said his shot dispersion is not as tight.

I've thought about trying it out but my current driver is working so I'm not going to fix something that's not broken.

Edited by nikemojo
buddy doesn't own LTD but tried it.
  • Like 1

16 y/o 2 HCP

Taylormade Sim 2 Max 9° - LA Golf Bryson Signature Series 65g Shaft 

Taylormade Sim Max 3 Wood - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75 X Flex

Callaway Mavrik 4 Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 X Flex

Mizuno MP20 4i-P  - Dynamic Gold S300

Titleist SM8 52, 55, 58 (54 degree bent 1 degree flat) - LA Golf L-Series Shaft

Black Lab BL - 1 

Sun Mountain Metro Stand Bag and Bushnell Pro X-E 

5 hours ago, hangontight said:

Darter79 is definitely the expert on Tsi1. So for us, we moved from F9 to SZ as I found one locally for a really good price. So he moved from F9/SZ to Titleist, we used a combination of Basara Lite ladies shaft and an MV Senior flex one. There was a distance gain, perhaps 3-4mph gain mainly because of the lighter head and maybe different shafts. We then moved to a KBS TD 40 Senior flex which flattened out the ball flight and helped keep spin down. All was good till recently he gained another 3-4mph (now at around 78mph) and his dispersion started to get a bit worse. His misses were now deep into the rough vs just off the fairway. I am sure it is a combination of him going through a growth spurt, a swing change at the same time but we had one of the stock old shafts and paired it up with the SZ last night and he seemed much more comfortable. So when switching back and forth, I find that the Tsi1 club head speed is about 2mph faster but ball speed between the 2 is about the same as the smash factor was a bit higher on the SZ. Based on darters recommendation, I might buy a heavier weight to try out and perhaps mess around with another shaft. Goal is to land something in the next 2-3 weeks before the summer tournaments kick in where my son who is used to 4200-4300 yard tournaments will all of a sudden be playing in tournaments at 5200+ yards 🤣

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 9:45 AM, nikemojo said:

One of my buddies tried the Cobra LTD, coming from a Sim Max, he said that he definitely has gained some distance (5-7 yds) but he said his shot dispersion is not as tight.

I've thought about trying it out but my current driver is working so I'm not going to fix something that's not broken.

The Sim Max is made for maximum forgiveness.  

On 3/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, heavy_hitter said:

The Sim Max is made for maximum forgiveness.  

correct

16 y/o 2 HCP

Black Lab BL - 1 

5 minutes ago, nikemojo said:

correct

Meaning, most high level players are in an LS version of a driver because they find the center of the club face with a well oiled swing.  If you are striking the center of the club face, 7+ yards is close to an iron less difference into the hole.  Ball just needs to be in play.  The LTDxMax version would be the best comparison.  The shaft/head combination has to be right to get the best dispersion.  Nothing wrong with using a Max version of a club, but you are sacrificing dispersion and or distance if you go one way or the other.

My opinion is that if it isn't in play it is generally the Indian, not the arrow.

5 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Meaning, most high level players are in an LS version of a driver because they find the center of the club face with a well oiled swing.  If you are striking the center of the club face, 7+ yards is close to an iron less difference into the hole.  Ball just needs to be in play.  The LTDxMax version would be the best comparison.  The shaft/head combination has to be right to get the best dispersion.  Nothing wrong with using a Max version of a club, but you are sacrificing dispersion and or distance if you go one way or the other.

My opinion is that if it isn't in play it is generally the Indian, not the arrow.

I agree, that's why I use the Sim Max. However he's the type who just wants to, and I quote, "hit bombs". 

16 y/o 2 HCP

Black Lab BL - 1