Older drivers vs Newer drivers

Bsudgolf

I have a Cobra Encore that is pretty darn sweet (probably best I've hit). I recently got a Srixon 585 which again is a very nice driver (Still think the encore is longer for me). How does older drivers compare to the newer ones? To me the 2 drivers I just mentioned Is probably just as good as any for me anyway. That cobra encore is hard to beat! The 2 I mentioned are very similar for me.

• Like 1

I traded a 2021 Cleveland driver on a 2016 Bridgestone because it just worked better for me. That said I'm not sure I'd go much older than 5 years with a driver. I have a Ping G20 that I liked but will probably never see competition again. 

Bridgestone JGR 9.5° | Bridgestone Tour B JGR 7w

Ben Hogan VKTR 18h

PING G425 4i-9i

PING Glide 3.0 46, 50, 54 Eye 2, 58.6 | Mizuno OMOI 02

Within the last twelve years I have gone from titleist 910, 913, 917, now TS 3 and I hit the ball the exact same length.  I know this is an anomaly here since everyone gets 12 - 15 more yards with each new driver, but sadly for me I am not as lucky.  I would love to have gone from 275 to 340 😉.  What I will say is with the exception of the 917, I have found myself liking each new driver more than the last.  Generally it’s in straightness and a little more forgiveness.  

• Like 2

Newer ones are more forgiving in my experience but not much longer, at least for me and my swing. Over the last few years I've hit every new driver against my old G10 and have seen very little difference in distance. Driver is a strength in my game and I hit it fairly straight, not long, but I hit most fairways most days.The G10 with the NVS shaft fits me very well and I'm sticking with it. That being said, more forgiveness in the newest drivers is a big plus for most golfers. 

• Like 4

TM Sim Max Driver

TM Sim Ti 4 wood

Adams Idea Tech V3- 4 hybrid

Callaway X14-4-PW

Lynx Parallax 54

Ping Eye 2-57

Nike VR Forged-60

Kirk Currie putter

Pro V1X

Cobra Encore came out in 2011.  So 11 year old tech vs 4 year old.  7 year gap there.

Will the Srixon be any longer if you hit it in the middle of the clubface with a good swing?   Probably not anything you'll notice.

Will the Srixon be any longer on a slight mishit off the toe or heel?  Undoubtedly. 

People who notice a big difference every few years between models fall into one of 3 categories:

1. Delusional, and think that newer is always better.

2. The new club is a better fit based on their type of swing.  Perhaps the spin and launch characteristics better fit them, and they're seeing a more optimized ball flight.  That doesn't mean it's a "Better" club, but it's better for them.

3. They struggle hitting the centre of the clubface, so the more frequent mishit is more forgiving on newer tech (almost everyone will fall into this category, with the 2nd category being the next most common)

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

TaylorMade SIM Max 4h 22° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

2 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Driver tech has been maxed out since the mid-2000s

That's a bit untrue.

Tech is what makes drivers more forgiving.

however, since 2008 I believe, COR (bounciness of a driver) has been restricted by a limit.  Driver heads are not allowed to be any hotter on perfect strikes than they are today.  (and were then).   The big difference is that in 2008, the sweet spot was the size of a dime, while today it's notably bigger.  The penalty for missing the sweet spot is much smaller now too.

15 minutes ago, amace04 said:

That's a bit untrue.

however, since 2008 I believe, COR (bounciness of a driver) has been restricted by a limit.  Driver heads are not allowed to be any hotter on perfect strikes than they are today.  (and were then).   The big difference is that in 2008, the sweet spot was the size of a dime, while today it's notably bigger.  The penalty for missing the sweet spot is much smaller now too.

Yeah.  Today's driver's are more forgiving but the ballspeed will the same when hit on the button because of COR limits by the USGA & R&A.  You will still get more ballspeed when compared to older drivers when not hit solid.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I ask myself this question all the time. I'm debating moving on from my M3 since I've not hit it well the last 6 months even though I know there's no real reason to unless I just get a true fitting, which I've never done on a driver. I've hit it well in the past though so I'm trying to convince my brain that it's me not the club. If buying clubs wasn't so fun it would be easier to hang tight though.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

3 wood: in the market

Driving Iron: P790 UDI Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 350G Pro Platinum

52 minutes ago, amace04 said:

Cobra Encore came out in 2011.  So 11 year old tech vs 4 year old.  7 year gap there.

Will the Srixon be any longer if you hit it in the middle of the clubface with a good swing?   Probably not anything you'll notice.

Will the Srixon be any longer on a slight mishit off the toe or heel?  Undoubtedly. 

People who notice a big difference every few years between models fall into one of 3 categories:

1. Delusional, and think that newer is always better.

2. The new club is a better fit based on their type of swing.  Perhaps the spin and launch characteristics better fit them, and they're seeing a more optimized ball flight.  That doesn't mean it's a "Better" club, but it's better for them.

3. They struggle hitting the centre of the clubface, so the more frequent mishit is more forgiving on newer tech (almost everyone will fall into this category, with the 2nd category being the next most common)

That's the one thing I see with the srixon compared to the encore. If I mishit the srixon it goes just as far and just as straight. That's why I'm gonna keep the Srixon in the bag for while and probably sell my encore since the srixon is much newer. 

46 minutes ago, Sankacoffee said:

I ask myself this question all the time. I'm debating moving on from my M3 since I've not hit it well the last 6 months even though I know there's no real reason to unless I just get a true fitting, which I've never done on a driver. I've hit it well in the past though so I'm trying to convince my brain that it's me not the club. If buying clubs wasn't so fun it would be easier to hang tight though.

I can assure you.... it's you.

But that doesn't mean it's also not the club.  There might be something out there that suits you better.   If you can find a shop with a hitting bay, try demo a SIM Max.  You can get a really good deal on a good condition used one these days.  Maybe one of the more forgivable variations of a driver is the answer (short of course of making swing changes)

3 minutes ago, amace04 said:

I can assure you.... it's you.

But that doesn't mean it's also not the club.  There might be something out there that suits you better.   If you can find a shop with a hitting bay, try demo a SIM Max.  You can get a really good deal on a good condition used one these days.  Maybe one of the more forgivable variations of a driver is the answer (short of course of making swing changes)

Yeah I know it's me and I've started working with a coach for the first time since middle school so it's getting better. I did hit the Stealth and Sim 2 a few weeks back and really didn't like either one. That's also not their fault because I haven't loved a driver since my 975J. 

1 minute ago, Sankacoffee said:

Yeah I know it's me and I've started working with a coach for the first time since middle school so it's getting better. I did hit the Stealth and Sim 2 a few weeks back and really didn't like either one. That's also not their fault because I haven't loved a driver since my 975J. 

hopefully the coach can help you learn to love the driver again.

There's no sweeter feeling than absolutely crushing a drive.  

• Like 1

Newer drivers will be more forgiving across the face in terms of ball speed.  When hit on the sweet spot, ball speeds should be similar between newer and older drivers because of the COR limit. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus+ 9* - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB - KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura - KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

48 minutes ago, amace04 said:

hopefully the coach can help you learn to love the driver again.

There's no sweeter feeling than absolutely crushing a drive.  

No there isn't. It also went from my biggest strength to biggest weakness so I am almost desperate to get it back haha.

👍 💯 %

34 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Newer drivers will be more forgiving across the face in terms of ball speed.  When hit on the sweet spot, ball speeds should be similar between newer and older drivers because of the COR limit. 

The two pics below are of my current driver

1. Ping G410 lst set at 8* with an aftermarket Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX shaft that I was attempting to dial in better with a headweight change 

2. Titleist 905r 9.5* with a Proforce v2 (bumblebee) shaft that came stock in the driver 15 years ago! 

The ball speed is the only thing that is worth looking at on a TopTracer range. I’ve found that the launch and carry are not reliable at all, but the ball speed numbers seem to be within 1-2mph from what I see on a GC Quad

1255A5BE-EF6C-40D4-BDEC-03559712C16A.png

C05B8271-3450-4B06-A81F-53B0A9D9A3BD.png

• Like 1

Recently got a radspeed driver, have been playing my old 910d3 the last couple of seasons. I can't say the radspeed is any longer on center strikes. But across the face it was much longer and straighter. Also felt alot less head twist on off center hit. Was much more stable as well.

Mizuno Stz-220 9.5° PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue Rdx 60 6.0 

Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15° Diamana Kai'li 80 x5ct s-flex

Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 18° Diamana S 83 x5ct x-flex

Taylormade TP Udi 18° Kbs C-taper lite s-flex

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MIM 50°, 56° V grind KBS Hi-REV 2.0 125 s-flex

Toulon Chicago Stroke Lab

Maxfli Tour X

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

3 hours ago, mudmarlin said:

Within the last twelve years I have gone from titleist 910, 913, 917, now TS 3 and I hit the ball the exact same length.  I know this is an anomaly here since everyone gets 12 - 15 more yards with each new driver

Only in their minds and in the hearts of golf club marketing departments. 😏

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

3 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

👍💯 %

The two pics below are of my current driver

1. Ping G410 lst set at 8* with an aftermarket Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX shaft that I was attempting to dial in better with a headweight change 

2. Titleist 905r 9.5* with a Proforce v2 (bumblebee) shaft that came stock in the driver 15 years ago! 

The ball speed is the only thing that is worth looking at on a TopTracer range. I’ve found that the launch and carry are not reliable at all, but the ball speed numbers seem to be within 1-2mph from what I see on a GC Quad

1255A5BE-EF6C-40D4-BDEC-03559712C16A.png

C05B8271-3450-4B06-A81F-53B0A9D9A3BD.png

This doesn't really prove anything.

#1 has a TX shaft, #2 stock.  You should generally be able to generate a bit more clubhead speed on a softer shaft.  What's the head speed?

Seems that #2 might be a better fit for you from a ballspeed perspective

35 minutes ago, amace04 said:

This doesn't really prove anything.

#1 has a TX shaft, #2 stock.  You should generally be able to generate a bit more clubhead speed on a softer shaft.  What's the head speed?

Seems that #2 might be a better fit for you from a ballspeed perspective

They were hit on two different days. 

Im arthritic and 45 years old, so I typically will bounce between 164mph and 168 mph on any given day. 

It’s a Toptracer range, and like I said, it’s not reliable for anything but ball speed. 

I thought the older V2 may have been a better fit for me as well, so I bought another (V2 Black)!to put in my Ping G410 and the results were similar, I got within 1mph of the same ball speed when I tested on that day 166.4 mph with the Copper and 167.1mph with the V2. The Proforce was not as good as the Copper on a GC Quad with dispersion, spin was similar within 150 rpm at the same loft with the V2 spin rate being higher, but I like the feel of the Copper 60TX better. 

if I take my Ping G410 set at 8* with the TX shaft, I will typically launch at 15.5* with about 1800-1900rpms at 164-168 mph ball speed 

if I hit my 9.5* Titleist 905r on the GC Quad with the old shaft. I will typically launch at 16.5* and spin will be around 2500rpms 

I get better numbers at the Top tracer range with the 905r than the G410 set at 7.5-8*, but if I loft the G410 up to 10* I get better numbers with the G410…….. even though I see the opposite on real world testing, or on the GC Quad. The TopTracer just isn’t that accurate. It reads Launch angles much lower than the GC Quad and since I’m hitting range balls, I don’t put to much into carry distance either. 

I haven’t used the dots on the GC Quad or been on a Trackman in a long time, but at the time my ball speed was 168-171 mph generally with a club head speed around 114-115 mph. So, I would guess it’s around 112-113mph now, but I can’t be certain. 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Missing info

Not sure why you asked the question, then proceeded to answer it with the results you're seeing.  Whatever each club does for you is the only thing you need.  Doesn't matter what results I get.

Taylormade Stealth+ 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade Stealth+ 3w Hzrdus Black

Callaway UW 19* Hzrdus Black

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

18 hours ago, amace04 said:

That's a bit untrue.

The COR rule is even older than that.  The club that spawned the creation of the rule was the TiSI.  🙂

The Google gods tell me it was 1998

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, NV75 X or HZRDUS 75 6.5, 43.5" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Mizuno MP-20 HMB, Steelfiber i95 S, 39.5"

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34"
Balls: Chrome Soft custom TruVis, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, OnCore Elixr

Grips are various GripMaster leather options

My local club gets the Cobra Driver for demos every year

And every year I take my trusty Fly Z out and hit balls against the new Driver

The SpeeZone and the Rad was maybe 2-5 yds longer than my Fly Z

I just took the Ltdx out on the course last weekend and it was noticeably longer than my Fly Z

So much so that I am going to give it another go just to make sure of what was happening

Could be different shaft. I was hitting the Smoke Green, and will switch out the RDX Blue next time

Driver -COBRA RADSPEED 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Spitfire-34in

Ball- Wilson Triad

22 hours ago, mudmarlin said:

Within the last twelve years I have gone from titleist 910, 913, 917, now TS 3 and I hit the ball the exact same length.  I know this is an anomaly here since everyone gets 12 - 15 more yards with each new driver, but sadly for me I am not as lucky.  I would love to have gone from 275 to 340 😉.  What I will say is with the exception of the 917, I have found myself liking each new driver more than the last.  Generally it’s in straightness and a little more forgiveness.  

That's because they're all Titleists 🤣😉

• Like 1

IMO,

Yes the face had the same amount of pop on drivers from 2000's or so to today.    But,  in 2005 the best drivers would perform and others could be terrible.  Today,  if you get fit with the right loft and shaft,  there is a good driver from every manufacturer.   Also they started dialing in spin and forgiveness in the 2010's and I personally think after 2019ish all drivers have been very solid. 

Example:  2017 m1 is going to be very similar in distance with the same setup to the Stealth,  But, the SLDR can have the same performance in the very center but the forgiveness is terrible compared to the newer models.  

Again,  anything in the last 3-4 years can perform well and it is just about numbers, feel, and confidence. 

4 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

That's because they're all Titleists 🤣😉

I personally think Titleist peaked with the 905,  the 907 was terrible,   and then the rest were average until the TS models which I think are awesome drivers.   Just my opinion and an example of how the newer ones are much better than older tech. Back then people sought out the specific models like the 905R. 

I think it's all marketing. That being said.. Would I love a new current driver vs my Nike Driver that came out in the early 2010's? Absolutely. I just cant get myself to buy a driver for x amount of dollars. I like the way my current stuff plays. If it ain't broke don't fix it kind of stance on a new driver. I'd rather buy a used driver for anywhere between 50-200 and spend the rest of the 500 on a new driver towards lessons. 

Obviously the technology and research has improved but then again I think your swing is a big factor. Although I've used my brothers Callaway Mavrik and my Nike VRS and I would still opt for my Nike. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert

Wood: Nike VRS Covert 3 Wood

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro 3, Nike VR Pro Cavity 4-PW

Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52, 56, 60

Putter: Nike Ignite 001