2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Spinner shafts for wedges by Howard Jones - The #8 iron spinner trick

Howard_Jones

Coming from  Adam's 8ivs7i thread and combined with my own case;

It sounds interesting to consider the 8i in the Gw, then 9i for 56* and Pw for 60*. Would it make sense to do so ?

How could we better understand the tip frequency to help match better, or I misunderstood this isn't a factor ?

in my example, I found this: (Strange, because C-taper apparently is butt trim only, yet the advice is for tip trimming. I read elsewhere that the 120 stiff (my situation) has a tip frequency of 6.3, yet it's outside the range for stiff)

image.png.5c416a287ccb97b5c8e5e1425a500598.png

How would the tip frequency be determined for each iron (8, 9, P) when cut to length of Gw, Sw, Lw ?

Based on the last post information to reference, I would play Gw and 56 mixed between full and partial shots, the 60* mostly partial and always half to full out of a bunker.

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

4 minutes ago, Andygolderson said:

Coming from  Adam's 8ivs7i thread and combined with my own case;

It sounds interesting to consider the 8i in the Gw, then 9i for 56* and Pw for 60*. Would it make sense to do so ?

How could we better understand the tip frequency to help match better, or I misunderstood this isn't a factor ?

in my example, I found this: (Strange, because C-taper apparently is butt trim only, yet the advice is for tip trimming. I read elsewhere that the 120 stiff (my situation) has a tip frequency of 6.3, yet it's outside the range for stiff)

image.png.5c416a287ccb97b5c8e5e1425a500598.png

How would the tip frequency be determined for each iron (8, 9, P) when cut to length of Gw, Sw, Lw ?

Based on the last post information to reference, I would play Gw and 56 mixed between full and partial shots, the 60* mostly partial and always half to full out of a bunker.

There is 2 models of most KBS shafts, one constant wgt, and one descending wgt.
The chart is for Descending wgt models, NOT constant wgt.

flex letters has NO common standards so simply forget them, they can only be used to move up or down in flex within the actual model, nothing else, and NEVER for compare of different model.

All clubs played to Full swing clubs should as ideal, be on the same flex progression slope, and since most of us play the GW like it is a #11 iron, its not beneficial to soft step that club, but thats what happens if we use the #9 or PW shaft for the GW too, and thats where the #8 iron spinner trick comes into it all, it gives us the "GW shaft" we cant order.....

So, when you ask if you should go stronger in SW and LOB too, its back to the same question....are they played like a full swing #12 and #13 iron where soft stepping will cause unwanted high ball flight and too low spin? Only you can answer that question

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

13 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

There is 2 models of most KBS shafts, one constant wgt, and one descending wgt.
The chart is for Descending wgt models, NOT constant wgt.

flex letters has NO common standards so simply forget them, they can only be used to move up or down in flex within the actual model, nothing else, and NEVER for compare of different model.

All clubs played to Full swing clubs should as ideal, be on the same flex progression slope, and since most of us play the GW like it is a #11 iron, its not beneficial to soft step that club, but thats what happens if we use the #9 or PW shaft for the GW too, and thats where the #8 iron spinner trick comes into it all, it gives us the "GW shaft" we cant order.....

So, when you ask if you should go stronger in SW and LOB too, its back to the same question....are they played like a full swing #12 and #13 iron where soft stepping will cause unwanted high ball flight and too low spin? Only you can answer that question

aha, got it. i did indeed read your "11 iron" answer elsewhere, so i guess 8i is no brainer for the gap.

Like i meantion, i would plan to use the 56, i would say 60% of the time only partially. The 60* again, would be 60-70% partial shots.

Do you have a recommendation for me there?

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

4 hours ago, Trap Junior said:

How do the tiger stepped wedges play in strong winds compared to regular set up?

I'm not sure I like the idea of more spin on wedge shots.  I hate seeing shots zip back when they hit the green.

Let me ask you this. When it's windy, do you flight your wedge(s), hit a stock wedge, and/or select a lower lofted club?

I play where it's windy (>15 mph) more often than it's not and I've used 8-iron shafts in my wedges (50-60*) since the turn of the century. The slight, 300 (+/-) rpm increase in spin isn't going to spin a ball off the green any more than what you're replacing, but it will help in holding a firm green from a lower trajectory ball flight.

• Like 4

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

5 hours ago, nitram said:

Let me ask you this. When it's windy, do you flight your wedge(s), hit a stock wedge, and/or select a lower lofted club?

I play where it's windy (>15 mph) more often than it's not and I've used 8-iron shafts in my wedges (50-60*) since the turn of the century. The slight, 300 (+/-) rpm increase in spin isn't going to spin a ball off the green any more than what you're replacing, but it will help in holding a firm green from a lower trajectory ball flight.

I have no idea how they play as I have never tried them.  I dont need more spin on wedges.   I am imagining I would have a problem into a stiff wind  spinning these back .  

36 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

I have no idea how they play as I have never tried them.  I dont need more spin on wedges.   I am imagining I would have a problem into a stiff wind  spinning these back .  

His point - do you control the trajectory with your current set up?  

Can you flight your wedge play?

• Haha 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

On 2/16/2022 at 4:26 PM, Howard_Jones said:

Spinner shafts for wedges  - The #8 iron spinner trick

The topic has been hot for more than 10 years on the WRX, but no matter how many times I have explained “how too”, the same questions pops up again, so this tread is written as the full guide, and a reference for future use. The main chapters are written for CONSTANT wgt shafts. (Descending wgt has its own chapter below here)

BACKGROUND.
All of you should know by now, a set of irons shafts, has a progression for flex and deflection as we go shorter. The stiffest shaft in the shaft set is often the #9 or the PW. When we move further into wedges, we are “soft stepping” the same shaft, sometimes more than 4 times or more than a full flex before we get to the LOB wedge, due to using the same shaft combined with higher SW values. For many players that might be an issue for ball flight who might become too high, and spin too low with bad stopping power. Wedges works OPPOSITE of irons where the curve for spin turns about the loft area of the PW. For higher lofted clubs, Launch still goes up while spin goes down, and combined with soft stepping we lose a lot of spin that way.

THE #8 IRON SPINNER TRICK
The solution where we can take ball flight down, and at the same time add spin, is called “the #8 iron spinner trick”. The term has a reference to a #8 iron shaft, but its NOT the #8 iron shaft from the iron set you play, but a #8 iron shaft from A FULL FLEX STRONGER of the same shaft model. That’s the “short cut” to a shaft with a flex and deflection close to where a dedicated GW shaft in your own shaft set would have been, but since we cant buy that shaft, this is the creative solution to get it. Its all RELATIVE to what iron shafts we play, and for short it looks like this:

R flex in irons, use S flex #8 iron shafts for wedge of the same shaft model as your irons.
R+ flex in irons, use S+ flex #8 iron shafts for wedge of the same shaft model as your irons.
S flex in irons, use X flex #8 iron shafts for wedge of the same shaft model as your irons.
X flex in irons, use TX flex #8 iron shafts for wedge of the same shaft model as your irons.

OR

5.0 flex in irons, use 6.0 flex #8 iron shafts for wedge of the same shaft model as your irons.
5.5 flex in irons, use 6.5 flex #8 iron shafts for wedge of the same shaft model as your irons.
6.0 flex in irons, use 7.0 flex #8 iron shafts for wedge of the same shaft model as your irons.

ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS – TIGER STEPPING – TIP TRIM OF TAPER TIP SHAFTS.
Since the target is a shaft with a flex in the area of a dedicated GW shaft, and some players already has X flex irons, and of a model where no TX flex option exist, we have a alternative route where we simply tip trim a taper tip shaft to get the “GW shaft” we want. We now have to ask, is the #9 the shortest and stiffest and used for both #9 or PW (like Dynamic Gold), or does a dedicated PW shaft exist? That’s important to know, since our target is only “1 shaft stronger” than a dedicated PW shaft.

Tip trim of taper tips is quite normal, but our limitation is often only 3/8” before we meet insert issues in a taper tip hosel. For most, but not all shaft models that can be fixed with a ream job to 0.370, IF the actual shaft model has a strait parallel tip section above the “taper part”. The taper part of the tip itself is most often 6/8” long, so use a caliper and measure tip OD on that point, and do the same right below first step or where the main taper section of the shaft starts. If both points say 0.370 you are free to tip trim as much as you like without insert issues, but don’t forget to leave enough tip section for the summary of full insert depth, plus the height of the wanted ferrules.

HOW MUCH TIP TRIM IS NEEDED?
That question depends on if the shortest available iron shaft is the #9 or the PW. Parallel tip shafts has a normal tip trim of 4/8” or 0.5” from one shaft to the other, but in a set of Constant wgt shafts, we need 5/8” tip trim to go “1 shaft stronger”. So if the shaft set we play, has a dedicated PW shaft, we can start from a PW and tip trim it 4/8” to 5/8” to get a “GW shaft” who will be the same as “the #8 iron spinner trick”, only from a different direction. If the shortest and strongest iron shaft is the #9, we will need the double or 1.0 to 1.25” to get that “GW shaft”. This tip trim instruction is valid when se use a #9 or PW of the same model, and the same flex as our irons.

ALTERNATIVE 2 –  HALF FLEX MODELS
For some shaft models, we have “half flex option” like we see from KBS, RIFLE and Project X. By half flex we mean R to R+, or R+ to S, or S to S+, or 5.0 to 5.5, or 5.5 to 6.0. This option should be considered since many of this shaft models adds up to 10 grams shaft weight when we move a full flex, and that’s not always beneficial. A starting point for wedge that’s 5 grams higher than irons is often “just perfect”. See the chapter below – “We go descending weight into wedges.” For more info about that.

Just like the first Tiger stepping or tip trim of taper option, we need to know if the #9 or the PW is the shortest and strongest dedicated shaft option.
For “half flex models” where a dedicated PW option exist, we can use that shaft “strait in” and we have a “home run” and got the “GW shaft” we was hunting.
That means if you play R flex, use a R+ dedicated PW shaft for wedge, and if you play S flex, use a S+ PW shaft for wedge etc…
If #9 is the shortest and stiffest, we have to tip trim the “half flex stronger #9” equal to 1 shaft stronger and that’s 4 to 5/8” to become our wanted “GW shaft”.

TUNING OPTION – 3/8” TIP TRIM
In ALL cases where we either use a full flex stronger #8 iron shaft “strait in”, or use a “half flex stronger” PW shaft strait in, we MIGHT consider to tip trim the shaft 3/8” to maximize spin. This option could be used for all 4 wedges from PW to LOB wedge. For the PW is a good idea if the #9 is the shortest and strongest. That moves us closer to the dedicated PW shaft TT don’t make anymore. For the GAP wedge either as a full flex stronger #8, or a “half flex stronger PW”, it adds even more spin and takes ball flight even further down on both full shots and partials. For the SAND and LOB wedge it should be considered since those would be soft stepped anyway, since the #8 iron spinner trick only gave us a shaft in the area as a GW shaft, and when we do like we most often does, goes 2 to 3 SW points UP from GW to SW and LOB, a tip trim of 3/8” actually only compensate for the added head weight, so its no reason to worry about feel here, the tip trimmed SW and SW will not play stronger than your GW if that GW is a #8 iron spinner “strait in”.

GRAPHITE SHAFTS
Its no difference between using steel or graphite shafts here, the same rules applies. A full flex stronger and the #8, or half a flex stronger and the PW.

DESCENDING WEIGHT MODELS
For descending wgt models where we tip trim our self, simply tip trim “like normal” for each club shorter. Again, the rules ONLY apply if you play the same models in irons, so to use descending wgt shafts for wedges, it has to be descending wgt shafts of THAT model in your irons too. For descending weight models, you can either use the same shaft flex as irons and simply tip trim for GAP. If tip trim instructions is like it is for DG, where #9 is 4.0 and PW is 4.25” IGNORE that, and use 4.50” for PW and 5.0” for GW. Before you start tip trimming, make sure there is tip section enough left for full insert plus the height of the ferrule. You can also use a full flex stronger, and use tip trim instructions for a #8 iron.

PRECAUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS.
All options above is described ONLY for THE SAME MODEL SERIES as we use for irons. Since there is NO common standards for flex, this flex letters is NOT valid as compare between different shaft models. its no “short cuts” if the plan is to mix different shaft models. The only way to tell is either to have advanced club maker measure it all out, or by trial and error. DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP WITH THAT – ive sold all club maker equipment and shafts, so I cant do it for you. The same limitation goes for mixing Constant wgt and Descending wgt models, even with the same model’s name. Dynamic Gold Tapers and Dynamic Gold Parallel descending wgt is NOT the same shaft, so we cant use the short cuts or methods described above. The same goes for KBS taper and parallels, they CANT be mixed using the suggestions above. The only time we can mix Tapers and Parallels is when both is constant wgt, or both is Descending weight of the same shaft model.

WE GO DESCENDING WEIGHT INTO WEDGES – 5 GRAMS HIGHER START WEIGHT IS BENEFICIAL
Many players is not aware of this. Even if we use the same constant wgt shaft models as our irons like DG S300 all the way to LOB, we go descending weight from our PW since the #9 is the shortest and strongest shaft in the iron set for Dynamic Gold. For sets where the PW is the shortest dedicated shaft, we go descending wgt from GW. To show you how that works, and how much we lose, Im using DG S300 / X100 as example.

Wedges is normally 2/8” shorter pr. club, and wedges most often has a BBGM (Bottom of Bore to Ground Measurement) that’s at least 3/8” higher than iron. That means we loose shaft wgt equal to that amounts as extra butt cut to get down to target play length. A DG S300 or X100 #9 iron shaft is 130 grams / 37.00” = 3.51 grams pr inch /8 = 0.44 grams for each 1/8”. That means from #9 to PW we loose 0.88 or 0.9 grams of shaft weight, and when we go further to the GW, we also loose 3 x 1/8” = 1.3 grams from a Higher BBGM (at least, some wedges even more), and as a sum that’s 3.1 grams down from #9 to GW, and another 0.9 or 4.0 grams down for the SAND, and 4.9 grams down for the LOB.

That’s why a tad higher shaft weight as starting point for wedge is nice. At least make sure you weight sort the shafts to be used before you choose what shaft to be used for what, so you can use shaft weight tolerances to even this out as best as it can be done. This also means if you have a shaft model where its 10 grams up for a full flex, it will shrink to only 5 grams for the LOB wedge due to this “descending wgt” system we are forced into if we like it or not.

HOW MUCH WILL LAUNCH AND SPIN CHANGE?
That’s “personal” and not fixed values, but launch will go down, and spin will go up, compared to using the #9 or PW shaft from the iron set all the way. I never made any side by side tests with “dedicated wedge shafts” that’s on the marked today, so im not able to tell how this will be compared to those, but during those 12 years ive been advocating the #8 iron spinner trick here on Golfwrx, It must be a few thousand that has followed my advices, and I cant remember anyone that was disappointed. If you wants to read some player feedback from trying this out, its many treads on this forum about it, and the 2 largest treads is probably this 2 im linking to below.

Our fellow WRX tech forum member Adam C – Aka the mobile club maker has made a video with a compare of DG S400 #9 iron shaft vs DG X100 #8 iron shaft.

If the MODS of the forum wants to use this as a article on WRX, feel free to do so. This should be available for all WRX readers, and many never visit the tech forum where this subject has been up for debate for more than 10 years.

I play with X100 and want to match my 54 & 58 wedges to set. So question to @Howard_Jones if I take X100 i9/PW taper tip shafts and tip trim shafts 3/8” for both wedges (it wont make any fitting problems to hosel). Basically I get a little softer X100 to 54 and due head weight a little softer 58 compared to 54? Idea is bring launch down because I tend to launch wedges (now wedges have S300/wedge flex shafts) relatively high compared to irons. I presume that shaft change wont affect a lot to spin and it wont need to do that. 

Bottom line is that do I need to tip trim all wedge shaft similar amount 3/8” and head weight make a descending ”flex” for wedge shafts or should I tip trim 54 3/8” and 58 6/8” to make uniform flex for wedge shafts?

I thinking about tip trimming 54 2/8” and 58 4/8” for avoiding fitting problems to hosel. 

1 hour ago, DrShaftE said:

I play with X100 and want to match my 54 & 58 wedges to set. So question to @Howard_Jones if I take X100 i9/PW taper tip shafts and tip trim shafts 3/8” for both wedges (it wont make any fitting problems to hosel). Basically I get a little softer X100 to 54 and due head weight a little softer 58 compared to 54? Idea is bring launch down because I tend to launch wedges (now wedges have S300/wedge flex shafts) relatively high compared to irons. I presume that shaft change wont affect a lot to spin and it wont need to do that. 

Bottom line is that do I need to tip trim all wedge shaft similar amount 3/8” and head weight make a descending ”flex” for wedge shafts or should I tip trim 54 3/8” and 58 6/8” to make uniform flex for wedge shafts?

I thinking about tip trimming 54 2/8” and 58 4/8” for avoiding fitting problems to hosel. 

Compared to using S300 #9 shaft, it will be a huge improvement, while compared to a X100 #9 strait in, its "tuning"...

image.png.7e690452699aa3801c5a1c40c5ee9827.png

5/8" is what we need to tip trim a DG X100 #9, to become the PW shaft TT dont offer anymore, and even if we did that, the 54/GW would still be SS1, PLUS its normally weakened by raising SW value 3 SWP = 3 CPM = 3/8" tip trim to compensate. With other words, 3/8" tip trim ONLY equalize the SW difference, so a DG X100 #9 tip trimmed 3/8" is still soft stepped 2 times when used as GW shaft. Thats why going DG X7 #8 iron shafts is the easy way, and no reaming of hosels is needed like it is when we want 5/8" tip trim or more..

44 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

Compared to using S300 #9 shaft, it will be a huge improvement, while compared to a X100 #9 strait in, its "tuning"...

image.png.7e690452699aa3801c5a1c40c5ee9827.png

5/8" is what we need to tip trim a DG X100 #9, to become the PW shaft TT dont offer anymore, and even if we did that, the 54/GW would still be SS1, PLUS its normally weakened by raising SW value 3 SWP = 3 CPM = 3/8" tip trim to compensate. With other words, 3/8" tip trim ONLY equalize the SW difference, so a DG X100 #9 tip trimmed 3/8" is still soft stepped 2 times when used as GW shaft. Thats why going DG X7 #8 iron shafts is the easy way, and no reaming of hosels is needed like it is when we want 5/8" tip trim or more..

Basically looks like Titleist builds their sets 9 & PW exactly same shaft only but trim shaft to correct lenght (this is seen when comparing 9 and PW shaft steps). So PW plays like a little soft 9.

So @Howard_Jones is your suggestion to go X100 9 shafts straight in to wedges or tip shafts 3/8” (this only for not having problems with inserting hosel, I know correct tipping is 5/8” for flex wise) for both wedges or do something different?

idea is not to make wedges to exactly same flex slope than whole other set. Idea is to move wedges a little closer to set from S300 shafts.

Those stock wedge shafts are untipped 9 iron or pw shafts (depend on manufacture of shaft, if they have separate pw shaft), correct?

1 hour ago, DrShaftE said:

Basically looks like Titleist builds their sets 9 & PW exactly same shaft only but trim shaft to correct lenght (this is seen when comparing 9 and PW shaft steps). So PW plays like a little soft 9.

So @Howard_Jones is your suggestion to go X100 9 shafts straight in to wedges or tip shafts 3/8” (this only for not having problems with inserting hosel, I know correct tipping is 5/8” for flex wise) for both wedges or do something different?

idea is not to make wedges to exactly same flex slope than whole other set. Idea is to move wedges a little closer to set from S300 shafts.

Those stock wedge shafts are untipped 9 iron or pw shafts (depend on manufacture of shaft, if they have separate pw shaft), correct?

Seriously? no i suggest you read, and make your own decisions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

Seriously? no i suggest you read, and make your own decisions. 

I have a clear idea what to do. I just wondering do you have experience using X100 like that and what generally works. 

Let see how my build works. I put some data of my findings when I get build ready and have time to test.

If I play Nippon Modus 120X, would I use the TX flex 9 iron shaft in GW, TX flex PW iron shaft in SW and TX flex PW iron shaft in LW? 

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

Howard, in your experience of building these types of clubs for people, have you noticed any drop off in terms of distance? Wedges aren't really clubs you swing all out on so I am curious if by going up an entire flex, people see some drop off in terms of carry numbers

Edited by CKaneb

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D3+

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - PW) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50°-12F, 54°-14F, 58°-08M) w/ KBS $-Taper Black PVD 120 S (tipped 3/8") D7

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (41") OR Odyssey White Hot Versa 1 Black (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1), Odyssey Ai-ONE Cruiser 17" OR Golf Pride Pro Only 72cc

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

2 hours ago, CKaneb said:

Howard, in your experience of building these types of clubs for people, have you noticed any drop off in terms of distance? Wedges aren't really clubs you swing all out on so I am curious if by going up an entire flex, people see some drop off in terms of carry numbers

Not Howard, but my experience with using an 8 iron x7 shaft in my 54 and 60 degree has increase carry with equal or better stopping power.  

the ability to flight a wedge lower and maintain spin has been a huge help

I changed my wedge (54 & 58) shafts from S300 to X100 (tipped 3/8”) like I planned earlier. Do I notices differencies? Datawise not so much, feelwise yes.

I prefer X100 stiffer/harder feel on full swings and chip shots. Club feels more accurate and precise when chipping. Full swings and 3/4 swings it feel same than all other clubs of my iron set which I prefer.

I use launch monitor before shaft change and after shaft change. I put datas beside each other and noticed that shaft change has affect to data very little. 

I made a test 3/4 swing and full swing:

Club head speed, ball speed, smash, AoA, spin loft and carry distance were identical (0.1-0.2 differencies)

Launch angles were 0.5-1 deg. lower with 54 3/4 & full swing and 58 3/4 swing but 58 full swing launch was actually 0.5 deg. higher. (With X100 shaft)

Spin was same (~40rpm higher) 3/4 swings but full swings it was ~400 rpm higher with X100 shafts.

Trajectory heights were 0.3-0.6 meters lower with X100. 58 full swing trajectory height was exact same than with original S300 shaft.

So I would say that (at least my test result show) changing shaft to wedge from original stock S300 to X100 3/8” tipped shaft wont effect much to flight parameters or at least not that much so it would give big changes to wedge game on course. If I consider only feel I would say that my wedges feel now better than earlier. Now when comparing chipping and full shots between PW and 54 wedge the transition is not so big feelwise than it was earlier. I also like a firmer (more accurate) feeling when chipping. 

56 minutes ago, DrShaftE said:

I changed my wedge (54 & 58) shafts from S300 to X100 (tipped 3/8”) like I planned earlier. Do I notices differencies? Datawise not so much, feelwise yes.

I prefer X100 stiffer/harder feel on full swings and chip shots. Club feels more accurate and precise when chipping. Full swings and 3/4 swings it feel same than all other clubs of my iron set which I prefer.

I use launch monitor before shaft change and after shaft change. I put datas beside each other and noticed that shaft change has affect to data very little. 

I made a test 3/4 swing and full swing:

Club head speed, ball speed, smash, AoA, spin loft and carry distance were identical (0.1-0.2 differencies)

Launch angles were 0.5-1 deg. lower with 54 3/4 & full swing and 58 3/4 swing but 58 full swing launch was actually 0.5 deg. higher. (With X100 shaft)

Spin was same (~40rpm higher) 3/4 swings but full swings it was ~400 rpm higher with X100 shafts.

Trajectory heights were 0.3-0.6 meters lower with X100. 58 full swing trajectory height was exact same than with original S300 shaft.

So I would say that (at least my test result show) changing shaft to wedge from original stock S300 to X100 3/8” tipped shaft wont effect much to flight parameters or at least not that much so it would give big changes to wedge game on course. If I consider only feel I would say that my wedges feel now better than earlier. Now when comparing chipping and full shots between PW and 54 wedge the transition is not so big feelwise than it was earlier. I also like a firmer (more accurate) feeling when chipping. 

What shaft # X100 did you start from? that info was missing

Edited by Howard_Jones

2 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

What shaft # X100 did you start from? that info was missing

👇

On 2/22/2022 at 11:36 AM, DrShaftE said:

9/PW because I already have X100 on my iron set. Test is comparing results between stock S300 (also 9/PW) and X100 (9/PW) shafts. I expected bigger differencies between those shafts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gonna bump this 'cause more people should try it out.

I play Modus 105s in irons but have always liked the stock S200 shaft found in most wedges. On a whim I saw this and decided to try it out - but with a slight change of using the Modus 120 instead of the 105 in my irons. Reason because the Modus 120 is actually a very similar profile to the S200 and also similar weight.

Results have been insanely positive. Accuracy is much better, feel and tempo is better and every shot is much more under control.

Highly recommend this trick!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

13 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I play Modus 105s in irons but have always liked the stock S200 shaft found in most wedges. On a whim I saw this and decided to try it out - but with a slight change of using the Modus 120 instead of the 105 in my irons. Reason because the Modus 120 is actually a very similar profile to the S200 and also similar weight.

Results have been insanely positive. Accuracy is much better, feel and tempo is better and every shot is much more under control.

I want to try this but I can't determine which shaft to try. I play modus 115x in my irons so I'm not sure do I just go 125x 8i? From what I've read I'm only going up in weight. Thanks

22 minutes ago, rschaner said:

I want to try this but I can't determine which shaft to try. I play modus 115x in my irons so I'm not sure do I just go 125x 8i? From what I've read I'm only going up in weight. Thanks

In the original post by @Howard_Jones he says to use TX flex if you use X in irons.

The 115 doesnt have a TX flex unless there is a tour only piece? There is a TX flex 120, though. That is what I would possibly recommend but you have to want that profile as well. The modus3 line is a different feeling shaft with different profiles between the 105-130g shafts. I knew I liked the 120 due to liking the S200. YMMV.

Theres a few posts above this about tip-trimming X-flex shafts 3/8" which is doable on .355 taper tips to sort-of hard-step an X-flex one time. This could also potentially work for you if you want to stick with the Modus 115 profile.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

14 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Yep. I've hit my 54 to within 5 feet more times in the last 3 months since going 8i in it than I did the last 2 years with the stock wedge shaft. Now if I could only get $taper 130x 8i shafts for my 60s...grrr