LA GOLF L-Series Iron Shafts

oyamawk89

I wouldn’t want to change to tips by drilling , but it’d be a lot less headache and not as battle scar looking as lead tape. These tips are so thick , no tip weight will work without shaving them down. 
What swingweight did they bring them to and what’s your total club weights? 

Just now, m_w said:

Artisan build them w/o tip weights. They add lead tape instead fwiw

When I build the PXG ST irons, 7 - GW then I will be using the weight on the back of the head to get the sw close if off.  And then if necessary add only small amounts of tip weight in lead, which can be removed without heat by  drilling.

• Like 1

TITLEIST TSR3 DRIVER, 9*, Ventus TR Black/Blue/Red, 6x

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS, #3, 16.5*, Accra '22 TZSix 75 M5; #5, 17.50*, Kailia White 70TX; #7, 21* Kaili White 80TX; #4 HY 22* Ventus Black Velocore HB 10TX

PXG GEN5 0311X Irons, Black Label Elite;   18* Accra '22 TZFive, 95HY M5 // 22*, Accra '22 TZFive, 105DI M5

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG GEN5 0311T Irons, Black Label Elite, 5 - 7; GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW; // LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10,  62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper

STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• 2 weeks later...

Got these babies in the Mail today, went with the 4 flex, u can see the CPM values posted, 8 iron is obv. a printing error. Gonna be a fun build! Still debating whether I’ll sand down tip weights or just do lead tape. As picture shows, a standard graphite tip weight ain’t even close to fitting. Gonna put them in t100s heads.

89384BCB-57A3-4A10-BC01-6C82A3D99E15.jpeg

C5F08993-01AD-40CF-B3C4-18D51C38E7D7.jpeg

DF90D3F9-112E-48AF-B47A-A674AFAD0361.jpeg

78223EC6-1F81-41F2-ACDC-B0F2B8871F6D.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 4:34 PM, BirdieBob said:

When I build the PXG ST irons, 7 - GW then I will be using the weight on the back of the head to get the sw close if off.  And then if necessary add only small amounts of tip weight in lead, which can be removed without heat by  drilling.

Ok , give us the lowdown on the build and what you think about the shafts.
I’m building mine up this weekend in some PXG heads and finally get to start chipping in about a week or so. Interested in your thoughts.

1 minute ago, golffeen007 said:

Ok , give us the lowdown on the build and what you think about the shafts.
I’m building mine up this weekend in some PXG heads and finally get to start chipping in about a week or so. Interested in your thoughts.

Could not try mine out yet.

Went ahead and completed building them...only needed to add a couple grams of lead tip weight to most to get to my C8.5 SW...equivalent to my ctaper builds at D2.5....9, PW, GW about equivalent D3-4.

I will be at the clubs range next week...might need some time to find the feel as I have not hit a ball in several weeks.

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS, #3, 16.5*, Accra '22 TZSix 75 M5; #5, 17.50*, Kailia White 70TX; #7, 21* Kaili White 80TX; #4 HY 22* Ventus Black Velocore HB 10TX

PXG GEN5 0311X Irons, Black Label Elite;   18* Accra '22 TZFive, 95HY M5 // 22*, Accra '22 TZFive, 105DI M5

PXG GEN5 0311T Irons, Black Label Elite, 5 - 7; GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW; // LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10,  62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper

STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

14 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Could not try mine out yet.

Went ahead and completed building them...only needed to add a couple grams of lead tip weight to most to get to my C8.5 SW...equivalent to my ctaper builds at D2.5....9, PW, GW about equivalent D3-4.

I will be at the clubs range next week...might need some time to find the feel as I have not hit a ball in several weeks.

Ahh , ok. Let us know what you think

Cool to see this thread picking up some steam. I’ve absolutely loved my L-Series 120 5 for the last 2 months. Very very stable and dispersion circle is tiny

interesting point on the swingweight. I had mizuno pro 223 originally built to D4. Recently had a builder swap them out to put in Miura MC-501 and the SW came out to D2. He mentioned he had to remove a lot of lead powder from the first build and when he rebuilt them forgot to SW the Miura’s. So far after 3 sessions and 1 round I’ve really struggled bc they now feel much lighter overall than when they were in the Mizunos. I told the builder I’d try them out but if they feel off I can just bring them back and have them rebuilt

put some lead tape on the 7 and 8 and hit those the best 

• Like 2

TM Stealth+ 9*... Ventus Black TR  6x

TM 300 Mini 13.5*...  Ventus Red TR 7x

TM Stealth UDI 20*... LA Golf Tour AXS Blue 105x

Miura MC 501 4 - PW... LA Golf L-Series 120x 

Mizuno T22 50*, 55*, 59*... LA Golf L-Series 120x (50), LAGP L-Series WV 120 (55, 59)

Scotty Phantom x9.5 Triple Black ---- Scotty H21 x7.5

Vessel Players Stand 2.0

Bridgestone Tour B XS

1 hour ago, JoeFrigo said:

Cool to see this thread picking up some steam. I’ve absolutely loved my L-Series 120 5 for the last 2 months. Very very stable and dispersion circle is tiny

interesting point on the swingweight. I had mizuno pro 223 originally built to D4. Recently had a builder swap them out to put in Miura MC-501 and the SW came out to D2. He mentioned he had to remove a lot of lead powder from the first build and when he rebuilt them forgot to SW the Miura’s. So far after 3 sessions and 1 round I’ve really struggled bc they now feel much lighter overall than when they were in the Mizunos. I told the builder I’d try them out but if they feel off I can just bring them back and have them rebuilt

put some lead tape on the 7 and 8 and hit those the best 

I built up the 8i only so far. PXG 311T and it came out C9. I dry fit a modus 115 at same length beforehand and it came out D2 with no tip weight. The weight on these are pretty close so I just built the 8i with no weight to C9 to see how it works out. It does pass the waggle test and I can feel the head more than I expected at the C9 counterbalanced weight.
It’s been since June 19th since I’ve been able to swing due to hernia surgery but I can chip and maybe swing 50% starting in about a week. Can’t wait to get back to it and I’ll give a full review once I’m able. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hit some range balls today with the new lagp l xstiff shafts.  I have the #5 xstiff shafts in the 5 - GW irons...and they are softstepped 1x as I purchased the 4 - W shafts.

I have duplicate irons with the kbs ctaper lite, xstiff, 115g vs the lagp l.

I used the pxg 0311ST blade 8 irons for comparison.

I found the slightly heavier lagp shafts at about 121.6g (basis golfshaftreviews weight) to be better weight wise for me compared to the 115g ctaper.  It helped with my timing being more consistent.  Distance and height were similar.  With the performance very similar between the two, but as expected the lagp shaft won out in feel with a noticeably softer feedback.

I have used UST Recoil Proto 110 F5 (xstiff) shafts in the past so I could tell the difference with the graphite....the recoils proved to be too light, so gave up on those.

It is not overwhelming softer, but just a noticeable thing you will experience with graphite.

I believe I have a worthwhile replacement for the ctaper lite shafts while still being able to use them for pracitice.

I will be spending more practice time with the new shafts, but at this point they are staying put!

note...I was playing the px 6.5 in the 9 - GW, so the lagp shafts will be a bit lighter in those short irons.

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quick update - Have about 35 rounds and at least 35 range sessions in the since the end of June. These things feel so good! Got a progressive swingweight of D3 to D1 (P-4) and seems to be working out. After the Club Championship this weekend I think I will go down about a swing weight or two just to see how it feels since the scale is being a bit fooled by the butt weight of these shafts. Thank god PXG heads are easy to mess around with!

These shafts simply just feel under control all the time. All out swing or 1/2 swing, I'm loving these. Having hit them a lot he increased my comfort levels obviously. My other set is T100S (2021) with OBAN CT-115 Stiff shafts. I used to think those OBANs were the smoothest shaft around, but now it's hard for me to feel that way. I feel like there is a less controllable "Kick" at the bottom with the OBAN that isn't noticeable with the LAGOLF.

Anyway, wanted to chime in after some serious time with these!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS • Ventus Velocore TR Blue 6S
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 Wood • Ventus Velocore TR Blue 7S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 5 wood • Ventus Velocore TR Blue 7S
PXG 0311P Gen 5 4 Iron • LAGP L Series Stiff

PXG 0311T Gen 5 5-P • LAGP L Series Stiff

PING Glide 4.0 58, 54, 50 • LAGP L Series 
Bettinardi Inovai 8.0 • BGT Stability Tour 

Definitely Miura and Epon heads would be best as they are much heavier up to 10g in some heads compared to let’s say a Titleist head. I do wish they could’ve made the butt size a little smaller.

I have drilled out the tips of the shafts and cut down the installation depth so I could use the rubber tungsten tip weights but I still do not like to do that. I prefer the weight to be behind the sweet spot and not up in the hosel. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5* with Diamana ZF 60 Stiff untipped
Callaway Apex Utility wood 17* with Diamana ZF 60 Stiff tipped 1/2”
Callaway Apex Utility wood 21* with Diamana ZF 70 Stiff tipped 1”

Callaway TCB 4-AW with MMT 105 stiff soft stepped 1x

Callaway Jaws Forged C Grind 55, 60 with MMT 105 stiff scoring wedge
Lajosi DD201 Damascus long neck putter

Toulon Le Mans

Pro V1 2021
Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some insight here as I’m a novice when it comes to club building! 

I posted a few pages back raving about the L-Series in comparison to a few other graphite shafts. I proceeded to move forward and get a full build completed (L-Series 4’s and Mizuno 223s)

Finally made it out to the course and while they feel great, they are a bit lighter in the head as others have pointed out. This produced a ton of unplayable draws and loss of distance. 

What options should I look into taking here? My current gamers are JPX 921 pros with DG 105 in an X flex. Club for club those feel heavier in the head but not as stable in the handle/butt which I expected. Should I look to get the SW matched to my current gamers?

My ‘ experiment’ club is built with the same shaft, grip, and length as my new set, only difference is that it’s a Srixon zforged head rather than a MP 223. Haven’t had any issues with that club which is basically what inspired confidence in the full build. Could it just be the difference in the manufactures headweight causing the issue? Just a bit perplexed because I didn’t have this issue throughout my month of testing. 

Open to any and all suggestions! 

On 8/30/2022 at 8:26 AM, martymcfly said:

Got these babies in the Mail today, went with the 4 flex, u can see the CPM values posted, 8 iron is obv. a printing error. Gonna be a fun build! Still debating whether I’ll sand down tip weights or just do lead tape. As picture shows, a standard graphite tip weight ain’t even close to fitting. Gonna put them in t100s heads.

89384BCB-57A3-4A10-BC01-6C82A3D99E15.jpeg

C5F08993-01AD-40CF-B3C4-18D51C38E7D7.jpeg

DF90D3F9-112E-48AF-B47A-A674AFAD0361.jpeg

78223EC6-1F81-41F2-ACDC-B0F2B8871F6D.jpeg

How did these turn out? I like the ferrule grip selection a lot, might have to copy you on those for my backup set.

8 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

Did you have issues with the ferrules. Did you have to expand them. 

Boil a half coffee cup of water. Drop one ferrule in at a time , leave for maybe 3 seconds and dry fit to each to correct bore depth. Easy trick that never fails.  

• Like 1