You're not a touring pro but you bought a launch monitor anyway. Well.....?

BenSeattle

9 minutes ago, leekgolf said:

I'm curious for those who have launch monitors, is there a metric on your monitor that you find most useful?

What metric would you like to have that you don't on your current setup?

For me it’s path with linger clubs and launch angle with shorter clubs. I have the mevo+ with the pro package. I totally agree with everyone who said launch monitor is the best golf purchase. 

Interesting, and not surprising, that there’s a theme in this thread of people improving due to the club metrics, maybe more so than the ball metrics.

I’ve said for a while, while I appreciate the efforts of loads of YouTubers doing LM reviews, they focus too much on endless extrapolations of ball distance calculations, when club data accuracy would be more useful -

For example, is the Garmin R10 club data comparable with the Mevo plus?

We just bought and had our sim delivered this past weekend. I went with a GC3 from Foresight as the sim in a box package. 

My wife has never played golf but we bought her a set a few years ago before our kids were born. This weekend was the first real time she spent with them, we actually removed the plastic off of several of the clubs. Because of the club data we were able to get her swing inside out, and with a slight negative attack angle in less than 30 minutes. She went from hitting worm burners to making good compression producing mid high draws on her best swings. 

I also am already benefiting by reducing my in to out swing through improved rotation instead of stalling. If you can translate some of the data into physical movements a LM has the ability to facilitate improvement. I also always considered myself a high ball hitter but my peak height is quite neutral at 27-30 yrds, not nearly as high as I’d always believed. 

I think the option is there to improve but you must know how to apply the info and actually make time to use it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Interesting, and not surprising, that there’s a theme in this thread of people improving due to the club metrics, maybe more so than the ball metrics.

I’ve said for a while, while I appreciate the efforts of loads of YouTubers doing LM reviews, they focus too much on endless extrapolations of ball distance calculations, when club data accuracy would be more useful -

For example, is the Garmin R10 club data comparable with the Mevo plus?

Very few reviews out there on R10 club data - at least what I can (not) find. FS claims accuracy of path and face to with in 1 degree. Early reviews and my experience as a M+ PP owner are good.

The fun part about these devices are their ability for sim golf which is part (all?) of the reason for the focus on ball data.  To work on improving your swing having the club data is more valuable IMO. Even if the spin or spin axis or subsequently the carry is off w a driver indoors doesn’t matter to me as much as I am more focused on path, FTP, AoA, low point, etc... I get those numbers within a reasonable range the carry and spin will take care of themselves when the snow melts.

Ideally of course you get a device that can do both = GCQ. 

I bought Mevo+ and yes it has helped me with growing my speeds and importantly monitoring them.

It gives me just enough of the right data to see improvements. I want to be using it more when my grass tee opens with wedges as well. 

I get a lot of mates ask if they should buy one with money burning a hole in there pocket, and the honest response is yes if you an objective for buying it. 

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Have FSK, which has 16 data points including club data.

The indoor mode has only been out for a month, and from my perspective, yes good/great purchase.

FSK takes a video of every swing, combined with the data, it is a wealth of knowledge if you know much about the golf swing. I am an engineer and a huge golf nerd, so it is easy for me to figure out what is wrong with my impact points. Of course figuring out how to change it is a lot of trial and error. But that is the beauty of being at home, you can do all of those awkward drills in private and not worry about shanking the ball into someone's leg, or looking foolish. 

For example, in just the past few weeks, I have increased my club head speeds, to distance increase 20 yards across the board. My PW was 130 yard club in early Feb, now it is 150 yards with ease. I hit a 175 yard 8 Iron on Sat AM with my regular golf group, and they were shocked (almost as much as me). Some of it is just that I am getting to swing a golf club way more and so my distances I usually have in June, I am getting in March (we really only golf from March to Sept), the other is I noticed on my videos that my backswing plane was pretty good, but my right hip was limiting my back swing. Easy fix with a few weight transfer drills.

If you can leave your LM set up on a net, or in a SIM room it is really nice for your golf game. If you only get to play once a week, but get to hit 500 balls with distances with club data throughout the week. How can it not help?

Of course, I get double value because I have a Jr golfer in my house who tries to hit balls every day and her success brings me a lot of joy, so I would do it for that alone.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2022 at 3:25 AM, Daniel Eason said:

I bought Mevo+ and yes it has helped me with growing my speeds and importantly monitoring them.

It gives me just enough of the right data to see improvements. I want to be using it more when my grass tee opens with wedges as well. 

I get a lot of mates ask if they should buy one with money burning a hole in there pocket, and the honest response is yes if you an objective for buying it. 

What data is most useful for you? 

Are there some data points you find valuable, but don't follow all that often?

Is most of your use indoors or outdoors?

14 hours ago, leekgolf said:

What data is most useful for you? 

Are there some data points you find valuable, but don't follow all that often?

Is most of your use indoors or outdoors?

I only use it outdoors.

Its good to see Spin, Spin Axis, Launch angle etc outdoors in relation to a change. 

Wedge/Chipping I look at the smash and LA/Spin Lofts. 

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

I have a Mevo+.  I use it strictly outdoors, but hadn’t used it since December because the data in the cold wasn’t very meaningful.  

After a significant slump in my iron play, Including one of my worst tournament rounds ever, I went to work with the Mevo, and very quickly determined that my AOA had gotten much to shallow, which not an unusual issue for me, but VERY hard to feel because it happens so incrementally.  I worked for a couple of hours getting back to whrre I needed to be, which was about posture and ball position, but also about the willingness to hit down on the ball instead of picking or sweeping; that becomes difficult on the muddy, dormant Bermuda this time of year.

Anyway, fixed it, and played tournament rounds below my index the last two days.  I won’t claim that the Mevo+ “paid for itself” or anything like that, but there is no question that it can speed the process of whatever you’re working on.

And you know what else?  The darn things are just flat-out fun. Expensive fun, but so is almost everything in golf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Skytrak two years ago and built a setup in my garage. Three reasons why I'm glad that I did:

1. Easy access to practice. With a full-time job, a side hustle and 2 kids under 5, my on-course opportunities are few and far between (and it doesn't help that we don't live very close to many golf opportunities). With my simulator, I can go out there after the kids are in bed and bang away. Or since I work from home most days, I can go out there on my lunch break and have a session. It's great having that "anytime" access that I wouldn't otherwise have. This is especially true for someone who lives up north and might have very limited access to golf for a good chunk of the year. And of course having the shot tracer and data really helps with practice. 

2. Equipment fitting. I used my launch monitor to fit myself to a different driver shaft that got me some better launch conditions and I picked up some easy distance that way. I also used it to find a golf ball that gave me a better flight (I coupled that with some short game testing as well). 

3. Fun. In addition to range sessions, I also use my Skytrak to play TGC2019 and it's just a blast. I love knowing that I can just go out into my garage and play Augusta or Pebble or play in an online tournament. Just loads of fun. 

If I didn't have a launch monitor / simulator, my golfing life would probably look something like playing one round a month on average and maybe getting in a short range session once a week. That's not enough to keep me happy, nor is it enough to really improve/maintain. 

Best money I've ever spent and it's not even close. 

Edited by fairways4life
  • Like 2

I don't have room for a sim so I've never really dug into what's available at what price. I can totally see the appeal for a serious golfer who likes to practice year-round.  

I attended a party this weekend at the home of a friend who has a nice simulator setup in his partially-finished basement. I think the machine itself is a Foresight but I didn't pay a ton of attention. 

The host and both his kids are good players, but the host admitted that the kids rarely use the sim (they have lessons or practice through the week and probably don't need the extra reps). 

All things considered this guy has invested quite a lot of space and money in a rig that only he uses (unless he invites us bozos over again). He's got the space and the money so I'm not judging, but it's a reminder of why I haven't joined a club. If my kids aren't interested the value probably isn't there. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 3/7/2022 at 1:22 PM, RmoorePE said:

Have FSK, which has 16 data points including club data.

The indoor mode has only been out for a month, and from my perspective, yes good/great purchase.

FSK takes a video of every swing, combined with the data, it is a wealth of knowledge if you know much about the golf swing. I am an engineer and a huge golf nerd, so it is easy for me to figure out what is wrong with my impact points. Of course figuring out how to change it is a lot of trial and error. But that is the beauty of being at home, you can do all of those awkward drills in private and not worry about shanking the ball into someone's leg, or looking foolish. 

For example, in just the past few weeks, I have increased my club head speeds, to distance increase 20 yards across the board. My PW was 130 yard club in early Feb, now it is 150 yards with ease. I hit a 175 yard 8 Iron on Sat AM with my regular golf group, and they were shocked (almost as much as me). Some of it is just that I am getting to swing a golf club way more and so my distances I usually have in June, I am getting in March (we really only golf from March to Sept), the other is I noticed on my videos that my backswing plane was pretty good, but my right hip was limiting my back swing. Easy fix with a few weight transfer drills.

If you can leave your LM set up on a net, or in a SIM room it is really nice for your golf game. If you only get to play once a week, but get to hit 500 balls with distances with club data throughout the week. How can it not help?

Of course, I get double value because I have a Jr golfer in my house who tries to hit balls every day and her success brings me a lot of joy, so I would do it for that alone.

Nice post! Was the video a big factor in your purchase decision? Do other LMs have this feature?

Edited by leekgolf

There were a few factors, the two biggest were:

1- Unit functions stand alone without a phone attached. You can just hit and get readings on the screen, with no video. Anyone at the range can swap in and use it.

2- Needed a unit that sits behind you (I have a lefty in the family) because we did not want to move the machine back and forth.

The things I like most about it are that it is easy to set up, and you can just leave it going. So, if I am out tinkering in my garage, I can stop by and hit 5 wedges and continue on my activity.

Will see how it does with E6 next month.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DogLegJim said:

Nothing like the real thing... charting your clubs is a nice thing to do with a machine, but it will never replace putting and chipping and a real course.

The machines, drivers, etc are getting to be like the yearly release games and money grab companies like to do now.

Charting game machines can only help so much for real golf and for sure a 20k-70k game is not going to magically make you a better golfer.

If everyone spent the same amount of time putting and chipping as they do wacking balls...they would need to make another PGA tour! 😄

lol, troll harder somewhere else man. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DogLegJim said:

Truth is truth man you can call a troll all you want dude.  o/ peaceout.

The truth is you haven't effectively ever used a launch monitor. It's not a video game, it's just a way of accurately measuring what you do when you hit a shot. Many of them, including the GCquad and the X3 and I think the mevo+ can monitor chipping and putting. 

But hey, I can't blame you for feeling the way you seem to feel, since you've obviously never had the experience.

Check it out.

4 hours ago, DogLegJim said:

Nothing like the real thing... charting your clubs is a nice thing to do with a machine, but it will never replace putting and chipping and a real course.

The machines, drivers, etc are getting to be like the yearly release games and money grab companies like to do now.

Charting game machines can only help so much for real golf and for sure a 20k-70k game is not going to magically make you a better golfer.

If everyone spent the same amount of time putting and chipping as they do wacking balls...they would need to make another PGA tour! 😄

Good post!

Couple things to point out:

1- Putting and chipping is boring, whacking balls is way more fun

2- You forgot "Get off my lawn" in your post, but I think most of us inferred it.

3- I think "real golf" is also a game, some of us have winter, so playing on a "charting machine" is the closest we can get.

My error though, I was sure that my charting machine was going to make me a better golfer, as a matter of fact I put it in my golf bag and went right to the course when mine arrived. No difference at all, still a crappy golfer, despite dropping $4k and having that thing sitting in the seat next to me in the cart.

On 2/25/2022 at 2:15 PM, BenSeattle said:

Trackman, Foresight, Bushnell and now even Tiger is associated with one via "Full Swing."  Obviously, these pricy devices (I don't mean the $500 Mevo, Rasodo, Garmin, etc.) aren't being sold ONLY to PGA Tour members, lower-level Korn Ferry/Euro types or even well-heeled college boys.  YOU are a serious golfer or at least one who wants to get better.  Or maybe you're just a hack with money that thinks just one more toy will get you breaking 80, ha ha! 😇

So here's my real question:  is it working?  Has using a monitor made you a better golfer, more dialed in on distances, helped correct a swing fault, solved all your gapping problems?  I need to know, because.... well, I'm a 4-handicap chop who just might buy one!

Copy and paste from another forum.  You must really be wanting a lot of input. 

Just buy one if you are that interested.  Obviously the market is strong enough you could sell it if you don’t like it. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

6 minutes ago, DogLegJim said:

Oh I do check those out for sure I have read through endless reviews and articles about most of them. 

Actually the Computer GAME part of those launch monitors attracts me more than the data bit.

I mean if I had to cash to burn sure I would set the best one up with all the best graphics with the best game and most courses just for fun.

Does it actually record your swings timing?  like in milliseconds from beginning to end.

That's a data point I'd like to see how long it took from start to finish for each shot type swing and how much that varies between shots.

Does your back swing take longer or shorter? are you delaying or rushing on the down swing?  How is your follow through after contact?

SO far I have seen stuff like spin rate, side spin, distance, launch angle, etc...Would be nice if they did have a complete swing timings data.

Like they say Timing is Everything!!! 😄

Wait. You don’t even own a personal launch monitor and you are on here telling people they aren’t with it… classic wrx.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (10 degrees)[TENSEI Av Raw White] 

Fairway woods: Titleist TSi2 (15.75 degrees), Titleist TS3 (19.5 degrees)[Diamana D+ Limited]

Irons: Taylormade p770 (4)[DG TI X100], Mizuno JPX 900 Tour (5-9)[Project X LZ 6.5]

Wedges: Vokey SM8 (47-11F, 51-13F, 55-15F, 59-7LK)[DG TI S400]

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X5

1 hour ago, Dan13 said:

LM could very well make someone a better ball striker which is a part of but less than half of what’s involved in becoming a better golfer, aka, shooting lower scores. 

Ball striking skill is more like 2/3 of the equation (SG Driving+SG Approach), chipping/putting the remaining 1/3. The whole "putts are 1/2 of your score" argument is largely false. 

1 minute ago, DogLegJim said:

For me personally dude yeah 5K-70K to play computer golf is A LITTLE MUCH...

Not only do you not have one… you don’t even know what people are using personal launch monitors for… 

Fairway woods: Titleist TSi2 (15.75 degrees), Titleist TS3 (19.5 degrees)[Diamana D+ Limited]

Irons: Taylormade p770 (4)[DG TI X100], Mizuno JPX 900 Tour (5-9)[Project X LZ 6.5]

15 minutes ago, DogLegJim said:

Oh I do check those out for sure I have read through endless reviews and articles about most of them. 

Actually the Computer GAME part of those launch monitors attracts me more than the data bit.

I mean if I had to cash to burn sure I would set the best one up with all the best graphics with the best game and most courses just for fun.

Does it actually record your swings timing?  like in milliseconds from beginning to end.

That's a data point I'd like to see how long it took from start to finish for each shot type swing and how much that varies between shots.

Does your back swing take longer or shorter? are you delaying or rushing on the down swing?  How is your follow through after contact?

SO far I have seen stuff like spin rate, side spin, distance, launch angle, etc...Would be nice if they did have a complete swing timings data.

Like they say Timing is Everything!!! 😄

Well I can tell you my Flightscope x2 did exactly what you're asking. So does the X3. I'll leave it to people who know Trackman 4 and GC4 to comment on their capabilities.

I guess you really don't know what they can do, do you? You can't find out what they can do for you through reviews and videos. 

Edited by leekgolf

4 minutes ago, leekgolf said:

Leave @DogLegJim alone. If he wants to announce he's a fool that's his business.

I tried so hard to sit on the sidelines lol… couldn’t do it. 

• Like 1

I have owned a Skytrak, then a Uneekor QED, then a Bushnell Launch Pro (currently looking to sell) and now a GCQuad. Having the ability to hit shots in the garage at night or on wet/cold days has been a valuable tool in improving my game and my son's game. Also factor in the enjoyment and quality time I get with my son and his teammates and it is easy for me to justify. A personal launch monitor doesn't make sense for a lot of people (space requirements, time needed to play, initial monetary investment, etc.) but for me it has been one of the golf purchases I'm most thankful I pulled the trigger on.