2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone ditch the 3 wood for a 4 wood?

chadly643

Good evening WRX. I wanted to hear some stories of folks that have ditched the 3 wood and what they’ve replaced it with. I have a XR Pro 3 wood that’s always been really good to me and held its spot in my bag for a long time now. I just don’t find myself using it all that much though. Off the tee, it’s not too far behind my driver, so I usually just pull driver. In the fairway, I’m usually either to far to reach with the 3 wood or close enough to reach with hybrid or less. So it’s this weird spot in my bag that I’m considering changing. What are some paths that others have gone down?

Yeah I agree fully. 4 wood flies a little higher and lands softer. Fits a better window than a 3 wood which is basically tee only. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

I am thinking about going 5 and 7 turned up to be more like 4 and 6. I just need to buy the 7 wood to try first. 

• Like 3

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Uhh, like in 2012. I have had some variation of 4W + 7W since then.

In a fitting in late 2008, I had done well with the Calla HyperX Tour driver in R-flex. So, I picked up the X.Tour 3W the following year. But, I seemed to have iffy trouble with the 3W.

Reality hit me one day when I bombed a drive on a 500-yd. par 5, and ended up 220 yards out going uphill. I took out the 3W and hit it dead-solid-perfect... but, the ball clipped the top of the hill and ricocheted 90 degrees right OB.

It turns out I didn't launch the 3W as well as I thought I did. Home course practice range comes off a hill, and the nearest driving range had a 5-foot high berm for the hitting area. I had an exaggerated sense of how high I launched the club... hence iffy trouble.

In a fitting spring 2012, I got the new TaylorMade RBZ 3W/HL (4w) and 5W/HL.

Following year, I traded in the TM RBX for Tour Edge Exotics XRails 4W and 7W at a demo day. The Tour Edge rep had willing golfers hit both the 3W and 4W version of the new Exotics version. The majority of us hit the 4W more consistently - and sometimes longer - than the 3W. This includes a couple of long bombers who carried their driver shots 280+.

The friendly XRails eventually got two seasons of competition from more aggressive Calla 815 Alpha. I split the difference when I got the Rogues (see below).

For the 4W, a little extra loft helps launch and the shorter shaft helps control. Several studies show that the average golfer does much better with a 4W than a 3W.

Edited by ChipNRun
Correct spelling.
  • Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Just now, Wasabi said:

I'm going to do the same to my 5 wood and am looking for a 7 wood to do the same.

The problem is I have rounds like today when my 3 wood is money. But the 5 wood is more consistent, that's what started it. 

The PXG 0211 7 wood comes in lefty and is 1.5* adjustable.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

40 minutes ago, chadly643 said:

Good evening WRX. I wanted to hear some stories of folks that have ditched the 3 wood and what they’ve replaced it with. I have a XR Pro 3 wood that’s always been really good to me and held its spot in my bag for a long time now. I just don’t find myself using it all that much though. Off the tee, it’s not too far behind my driver, so I usually just pull driver. In the fairway, I’m usually either to far to reach with the 3 wood or close enough to reach with hybrid or less. So it’s this weird spot in my bag that I’m considering changing. What are some paths that others have gone down?

I went the other way 2yrs ago and have regretted it ever since. This spring there will be a 16.5* wood in the bag and the 14.5* wood will be out. I’m trying to find a hotter, lower spinning fwy wood with a flatter lie option. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

12 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I am thinking about going 5 and 7 turned up to be more like 4 and 6. I just need to buy the 7 wood to try first. 

That’s exactly what I did. Best decision ever. 

• Like 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

I’m going from 15/19 F8+ and will be gaming 16.5/20.5 Stealth+ this season. Mainly to get some more spin for the 3/4W and then gap better with the 4i. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

I'm doing a 16.5 degree TSi3 with an AD DI 7X and I love it. It goes a little higher and spins a little more than might be ideal ... but it's super workable and controllable, and I trust it. I hit it better than I've ever hit any fairway wood. 

For me, the difference isn't just the added loft, but shortening the shaft by 0.5". You could do that with any fairway wood, regardless of loft, obviously. But for whatever reason this combo at 42.5" just works really, really well for me. I've found that I do all right at 42.75" too, but -- and I have no idea why -- 43" and up on a fairway wood is just much more difficult for me to control and make really good contact on a consistent basis, which turns it into almost exclusively a tee club. That's not what I want, so I'm happy to sacrifice a few yards for the 42.5" shaft.

I have an Apex UW 19* that goes nearly as far. But the Apex UW's flight is a lot lower, so they sort of do different things.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

One of the ways a launch monitor helps dial it in for each individual. 

For years I did game a 3w (even a strong one) but little did I know my mechanics was presenting a bit of an open face to path and adding loft, effectively gaming something higher anyway (not to mention glancing blow syndrome). 

I always liked a 4w just for the added confidence of a bit more loft and went with that a few years back in conjunction with working on my game with a pro and neutralizing that poor delivery I don't feel super confident trying to launch a 15d wood from the deck. I am at the edge of having the speed to do it but 1.5-2d more launch is a good thing for me. 

The data is all there in the LM output and I can dial in what works best for my delivery. I wish my 5w was 19d (older Rogue was, newer cally is 18) as its pretty close to my 4w in loft but I do have a shaft length difference there as well. 

LIke ChipNRun I bag a 4 and 7w right now and when I want to carry just 1 have that 5w.

I miss a 3w never 🙂

Edited by bvanlieu

I go driver, 4 wood (Sub 70 Pro Tour) then 2 iron. It's the best decision I've made in a while at the top end of my bag. Much better off the turf and still awesome off the tee. Plus controllable distance. 

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

I have been thinking about switching out my 3 wood for a 5 wood. I did just have a PXG 7 wood come in yesterday so going to give that a shot too. 

Driver- Titleist 9* TSI3 Fujikura Speeder Evo V1 569

3W-  Cobra Speedzone 14.5* / Oban Isawa Red

Hybrid - Taylormade 19* Sim Max / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Proto

Irons- Callaway Apex 2021 5 thru AW  / LA golf Tour AXS Red 

Wedges- Vokey SM8 Jet Black 54* & 58*  

Putter- SIK C Series DW 

I am just addressing this now.  I lack confidence hitting a 3 wood into a green; basically the ball could go anywhere.  I am pleasantly surprised when it goes straight, which doesn't seem like a good club to have in the bag.  I traded in a bunch of old clubs that were collecting dust in my office and just bought a Stealth + 5 wood, which ended up costing me $40.  My plan is to turn it down 2 degrees and play it at 17 degrees with flatter lie angle.  I kept my 3 wood, as I like it, but if this can more consistently hit fairways and greens, which I expect should be the case, then it will be hard for the 3 wood to get back into the bag.

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Yep. 

My local course has little use for a 3w.  My yardage with a 3w is about 270, and there's very few times if ever I need that off the deck.  I've got a 5w that I've cranked up to 17* with a 5w shaft.  Bit less club speed, shorter shaft for better control.  Still get good distance, but it seems to spin up a touch more and land softer.  If there's a hole that I'm not going to hit a Driver due to the risk, a 3w is no better an option for me.  I've got a 2i for the low controlled tee shots if necessary.

Edited by amace04

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

3 hours ago, Mob said:

I kept my 3 wood, as I like it, but if this can more consistently hit fairways and greens, which I expect should be the case, then it will be hard for the 3 wood to get back into the bag.

There are two distinct things in here which has been discussed in other threads a lot: 

1. hitting fairways

2. hitting greens

For the first, length of shaft is the #1 issue. If you are using a tee and have problems controlling the face and strike, shorter is better and you are not going to lose much distance going 1" shorter vs. better ball speed from strikes.  I am a huge proponent, especially from the deck, of shortening these stupid long fairway and hybrids. 

For the second, in combination with the length, if you have issues elevating the shot from the deck to get a useful enough land angle or carry,  then loft is your friend. 

Combine both benefits of a 5w and people will say 'I hit the 5w better then my 3w'. Yes. Yes you do. But the reasons may be two fold 🙂 

- b

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've thought about it but for now I'm keeping the 3wood as my driver play is not great. I use a 3w off the tee a lot. I pretty much never hit a 3w off the ground. If I'm that far out I'm laying up. I have an 18* 5w I hit around 220 and even that I rarely use off the ground unless punching something out. Probably in a few years I'd get stronger irons and go with the 4w and 20 degree or so fairway or hybrid as I'll need to reach longer par 4's. 

When I bought my woods a few years back, the guy set me up with a driver, 4 wood, and 4 hybrid instead of driver/3/5.  He said the combo of driver/4w/4h was generally better or more useful for high handicappers like myself.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Get a Adam’s Tight Lie 3 wood. It’s 16 degrees and easy to get airborne, plays  like a 4 wood. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I have been playing for fifty years and with few exceptions have only carried 2 woods, a Driver and a 16-17 degree FW wood. The higher lofted FW has always been easier to hit, especially from the FW. My next club is a 20 degree hybrid which is very reliable. Though there is a gap between the FW and hybrid, I just grip down slightly on the FW, it has always worked well.

I have always favoured control over distance, even though I am an old geezer now. I have built my bag starting from the green and working my way back to the tee. As I aged and my swing speed decreased, I have added loft on the woods and it has helped me maintain consistency as long as I play the appropriate tees.

My vote is for the 16-17 degree club with a reasonable shaft length, whatever the manufacturers want to call it (3HL or 4W).

• Like 3