Stealth vs Stealth Plus

Long Shot

For those of you who have compared them what are your thoughts. 

I have played a few rounds with each, and had them both on the trackman. I played both heads in a GD Tour AD-HD and had them both on the Trackman. What I found was that the heads were very similar in speed and spin (very big surprise for me, I thought the Plus would have lower spin). Overall I found the spin down about 400 revs in compared to the Sim2 (I was around 155mph, 2800 with my SIm2, and noticed a slight increase in ball speed- 158+ average which I think is related to a more forgiving face on my mishits, and my Spin numbers were down around 2300), and I was getting better carry numbers and overall distance. I initially felt the regular Stealth was more forgiving than the Stealth Plus, but I think that was more a feature of my swing getting grooved on a recent Florida trip, because when I switched back to the Stealth Plus at the end of the week, they seemed really similar in terms of forgiveness and playability. My only issue with them is deciding on which head to play.

What are your thoughts on the two, head to head?

• Like 1

if your numbers are similar with either head I would choose the forgiving one, which is what I did. 

• Like 3

Stealth 10.5° @9° w/Ventus Velocore red 5s

Callaway 4+ steelhead XR tensi blue 65 S
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping iE1 DG120 S300 4-UW

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 56°- 60º 

Mizuno D. Mills workshop lll  

I owned both and tested each one 5+ times at my indoor range locally. I don’t have a Trackman, and wish I could’ve tested them both outdoors, but still Winter here in snowy Canada.

What I found is that the Stealth Plus was very comparable to the OG SIM for me in terms of being low spinning and low launching, but definitely more forgiving and playable than the SIM. 

The STD Stealth was more comparable to the SIM2 Max in terms of forgiveness, launch, and spin, and was the better fit for me overall.

I fully see why the OG SIM holdouts love the Stealth Plus, but for me I had problems launching both of them and they just didn’t fit my current swing and game.

But the STD Stealth I’m extremely excited about and has secured the top spot in my bag for 2022! After owning 9 different Drivers last season, it feels good to have confidence in that spot being set going into the season.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max (11*) / Tensei AV White 65 S

Titleist TSR2 (16.5*) / Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist AP2 714 (4-GW) / Dynamic Gold S300 

TaylorMade MG3 (56-SB & 60-LB) / Dynamic Gold S200

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 (36")

WITB on WRX

I was hitting into nets, have had the stealth for a few weeks now and am pleased with my choice.  

• Like 1

Stealth 10.5° @9° w/Ventus Velocore red 5s

Callaway 4+ steelhead XR tensi blue 65 S
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping iE1 DG120 S300 4-UW

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 56°- 60º 

Mizuno D. Mills workshop lll  

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

I owned both and tested each one 5+ times at my indoor range locally. I don’t have a Trackman, and wish I could’ve tested them both outdoors, but still Winter here in snowy Canada.

What I found is that the Stealth Plus was very comparable to the OG SIM for me in terms of being low spinning and low launching, but definitely more forgiving and playable than the SIM. 

The STD Stealth was more comparable to the SIM2 Max in terms of forgiveness, launch, and spin, and was the better fit for me overall.

I fully see why the OG SIM holdouts love the Stealth Plus, but for me I had problems launching both of them and they just didn’t fit my current swing and game.

But the STD Stealth I’m extremely excited about and has secured the top spot in my bag for 2022! After owning 9 different Drivers last season, it feels good to have confidence in that spot being set going into the season.

Interesting to see others experiencing similar issues.  I just switched to stealth plus  in 9 degrees from sim 2TI in 10.5 degrees but lowered to 9.5 degrees.  My ball speed numbers on quad are definitely better with stealth plus but im having a hard time getting this thing in the trajectory window i want.  My sim 2 i played a high cut and this thing is more of a line drive.  It is definitely lower spinning too.  I'm not sure the extra 10 yards is worth it.  Miss being able to carry treelines when needed

• Like 2

TM SIM 2 9 degrees, Ventus Velocore Black 6X

TM 2017 M2 TOUR 3 wood 15 degrees

TM M6 5 wood, 18 degrees OR TM p790 UDI 2 iron, KBS $-Taper

TM P7TW 4-pw X100 

Corey Paul Minimalist Forged heads - 52,56,60 (love these)

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, Stability Tour Shaft

1 hour ago, Jlopicco23 said:

Interesting to see others experiencing similar issues.  I just switched to stealth plus  in 9 degrees from sim 2TI in 10.5 degrees but lowered to 9.5 degrees.  My ball speed numbers on quad are definitely better with stealth plus but im having a hard time getting this thing in the trajectory window i want.  My sim 2 i played a high cut and this thing is more of a line drive.  It is definitely lower spinning too.  I'm not sure the extra 10 yards is worth it.  Miss being able to carry treelines when needed

Yeah, the Plus is definitely not for everyone just like the OG SIM wasn’t.

I tried 2 different shafts in it (RDX Red and Tensei AV Blue) and just couldn’t launch the thing properly. Just too low spin and low launch for my swing…it is what it is.

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

5 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, the Plus is definitely not for everyone just like the OG SIM wasn’t.

I tried 2 different shafts in it (RDX Red and Tensei AV Blue) and just couldn’t launch the thing properly. Just too low spin and low launch for my swing…it is what it is.

Really, I am surprised. Like others have mentioned, were you getting the bottom of the face. You’re not into “ X “ flex I hope ? 

2 minutes ago, Pastit said:

Really, I am surprised. Like others have mentioned, were you getting the bottom of the face. You’re not into “ X “ flex I hope ? 

No, I hit Stiff shafts. For me it was very similar to the OG SIM…too many low spin hooks and knuckleballs.

The STD Stealth has shown some really good results for me so far though, should be a bomber!!

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

9 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

No, I hit Stiff shafts. For me it was very similar to the OG SIM…too many low spin hooks and knuckleballs.

The STD Stealth has shown some really good results for me so far though, should be a bomber!!

Thanks. I’ve tried both but rarely have problems hitting anything. I got some “ soft “ hits with the + 9D but the STD 10.5D was better but little better than the SIM2 MAX. All with Velecore 5R or 6R.

Pros around here like the Callaway Rogue ST but I’ve not tried yet. Weather dreadful. Good luck. 

ps usual miss with OG SIM was off course right - as for me until dialled in. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pastit said:

Thanks. I’ve tried both but rarely have problems hitting anything. I got some “ soft “ hits with the + 9D but the STD 10.5D was better but little better than the SIM2 MAX. All with Velecore 5R or 6R.

Pros around here like the Callaway Rogue ST but I’ve not tried yet. Weather dreadful. Good luck. 

ps usual miss with OG SIM was off course right - as for me until dialled in. 

Yeah, my normal miss is a wicked slice into the corn fields too, that’s what made the low-spin duck hooks with the OG SIM and Stealth Plus so bizarre and out of character for me. 🤷🏽‍♂️🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB on WRX

I hit both over a long two day fitting. I was sure I would end up with the STD, but my numbers were better with the Plus.

The STD was more forgiving, but not by much. My normal high end distance is in the 280s. I was in that vicinity much more often with the PLUS. I’m a high ball hitter anyway, but the extra spin that I was getting with the STD was killing my distance.

The fitter tried a variety of different shafts and flexes to try to tame the spin numbers with the STD, but once I started hitting the Plus it gave me the extra control that I needed to hit fairway finders and  going for it a little more. I had trouble controlling the STD with those kinds of shots.

I’m just a mid capper, but the choice was fairly easy for me. No regrets with the Plus for about a month now.

Edited by SollyinGA
  • Like 1

For me, when I tried both, it seemed like the spin numbers were very similar for me. The difference came in how it sat at address and launch angle. To my eye the regular stealth sat a little more closed than the plus and also launched a touch higher. I personally got on better with the plus and that is what I ended up with. I was fairly surprised how forgiving the stealth plus was for my swing. My high toe miss that is typically low spin and destructive with my old driver retained its spin much better. Really impressed how both handled low head strikes too. 

I'm high launch, high spin so I opted for the Stealth+.  Flat bombs with 2100 to 2500 rpms for me.  I love how it's so much more forgiving across the face and spin numbers stay more consistent compared to the SIM and SIM 2 I had previously. 

• Like 4

TM Stealth Plus+ 9* - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB - KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura - KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

To add my 2 cents, I took both drivers in 9 and 10.5.  Currently playing Sim2 in 9 turned down one with Ventus Velocore 6x, tipped an inch.  Using my gamer shaft as well as 5 others I went to test.

Compared to my current set up, I did not come close to any numbers with the new TM drivers.  I excited after hearing from others stating they gained 2-3 mph ball speed.  I did not see anything like that but the opposite.  The 9 degree launched much lower and spun more. the 10.5 were better turned down but I saved $500.  Everything was on a GC2.  Tried a variety of driver settings, various golf balls, tee height, anything I could think of and just could not get comfortable with them. They looked really good at address and so did the 3 wood.

I could not hit one new Stealth within 6-7 yards of carry with current set up.

Sticking with current gear.

• Like 3

TM Sim2 9 Turned down 1, Ventus Velocore Blue 6x Tipped 1 inch

Calloway Rogue ST LS 3 Wood Ventus Velocore Blue 7x tipped 1 inch

Calloway Rogue ST LS 5 wood Ventus Velocore Red 7 X Tipped 1 inch

PXG 0211ST KBS Tour 130x P-4

PXG SDI 52(51), SD II Full Face 54 S400 Tour (55) and SDII Full Face 60/7 Tour issue S400 (59)

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat GSS

12 hours ago, ScottyGolf said:

To add my 2 cents, I took both drivers in 9 and 10.5.  Currently playing Sim2 in 9 turned down one with Ventus Velocore 6x, tipped an inch.  Using my gamer shaft as well as 5 others I went to test.

Compared to my current set up, I did not come close to any numbers with the new TM drivers.  I excited after hearing from others stating they gained 2-3 mph ball speed.  I did not see anything like that but the opposite.  The 9 degree launched much lower and spun more. the 10.5 were better turned down but I saved $500.  Everything was on a GC2.  Tried a variety of driver settings, various golf balls, tee height, anything I could think of and just could not get comfortable with them. They looked really good at address and so did the 3 wood.

I could not hit one new Stealth within 6-7 yards of carry with current set up.

Sticking with current gear.

Thanks for posting.  My finding is more typical, with a marginal distance improvement but better dispersion my SIM2 MAX but nothing worth c £450 including very poor stock shaft offers in the U.K. 

Perhaps more importantly, I wondered whether Daniel Berger reverted to a SIM at the Honda after praising the Stealth in Hawaii ? I could not get a good view on TV. 

4 hours ago, Pastit said:

Thanks for posting.  My finding is more typical, with a marginal distance improvement but better dispersion my SIM2 MAX but nothing worth c £450 including very poor stock shaft offers in the U.K. 

Perhaps more importantly, I wondered whether Daniel Berger reverted to a SIM at the Honda after praising the Stealth in Hawaii ? I could not get a good view on TV. 

Berger has been in 2020 SIM all of this 2022 season on the PGA Tour. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting thread...

Had my SIM2 w/Fuji Velocore Black 6 and although my ball flight was very consistent w/slight fade I just wasn't getting as much out of this set-up vs. my previous M5 w/Tensei Pro White (Had OG SIM for only a month or 2 indoors, didn't love it)...

M5 w/Tensei combo was not as forgiving as my SIM2 set-up, but decided to go 'Stealth' to see if I could lower launch/spin to get a bit more out of it.

Similarly to @BallerNate being limited to indoor simulator testing, tried extensively w/Stealth Plus and Stealth HD (Thinking the HD would be more the more forgiving/distance blend based on some reviews, etc. 

No question the Stealth HD was more forgiving, but launch/spin numbers were very similar to my SIM2 set-up so opted to stay w/Stealth Plus to see if I can squeeze a few more yards off the tee this coming summer. 

Cheers,

- Ian

• Like 1
:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 460 Driver 9.0D / 7.0D (Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D / 15.0D (Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 7S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D / 19.0D (Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8S)
:taylormade-small: P790 2019 Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-PW)
:taylormade-small: Milled Grind My Hi-Toe Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115 W) (50D 9.0 / 54D 10.0 / 58D 12.0) / Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Putter* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: Spider GT Notchback Putter(Custom / KBS Fluted Feel) - Superstroke Traxion Pistol GT 1.0 Grip
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Grey) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProXE Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

On 3/4/2022 at 9:47 AM, phizzy30 said:

I'm high launch, high spin so I opted for the Stealth+.  Flat bombs with 2100 to 2500 rpms for me.  I love how it's so much more forgiving across the face and spin numbers stay more consistent compared to the SIM and SIM 2 I had previously. 

Just like @phizzy30, I hit my driver higher than average so lowering the spin rates is an important factor to me. Due to my higher launch, high MOI and ‘forgiving’ drivers are disastrous for me. I’ve never gotten along nor been a good fit with a Taylormade driver and woods since maybe the M2. I did a fitting with Taylormade and ended up with Stealth Plus in Kaili White shaft at 9 degree to no surprise (didn’t bother with HD since I have a natural draw shot with pull shot as misses). I found little difference in forgiveness between standard and Plus model but definite difference in distance, ball speed (anywhere from 2-5 MPH which was tripping me out), and spin. I as averaging 1900-2400 range which is perfect. Even got some in the mid-high 1000s. On course performance, it’s been an amazing driver and am not punished that much for strikes outside the middle. I think the comments of Plus not being that forgiving are a bit overblown, but do agree you’ll get away with more in the standard with your delivery and swing mechanics are below average (e.g. open/closed face to path, over the top). 

Edited by HarborMike
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tarrantian said:

Interesting thread...

Had my SIM2 w/Fuji Velocore Black 6 and although my ball flight was very consistent w/slight fade I just wasn't getting as much out of this set-up vs. my previous M5 w/Tensei Pro White (Had OG SIM for only a month or 2 indoors, didn't love it)...

M5 w/Tensei combo was not as forgiving as my SIM2 set-up, but decided to go 'Stealth' to see if I could lower launch/spin to get a bit more out of it.

Similarly to @BallerNate being limited to indoor simulator testing, tried extensively w/Stealth Plus and Stealth HD (Thinking the HD would be more the more forgiving/distance blend based on some reviews, etc. 

No question the Stealth HD was more forgiving, but launch/spin numbers were very similar to my SIM2 set-up so opted to stay w/Stealth Plus to see if I can squeeze a few more yards off the tee this coming summer. 

Cheers,

- Ian

Good luck with it man!

I probably should’ve given the Stealth Plus a few outdoor range sessions and rounds on the course, but so far the STD Stealth has been a really good fit for me,  so I’m happy with giving that this full season to evaluate.

We’ll see how it goes, and maybe I’ll get to the point eventually when I’ll give the Plus another look.

WITB on WRX

1 minute ago, BallerNate said:

STD Stealth has been a really good fit for me,  so I’m happy with giving that this full season to evaluate.

quoting this for posterity. 

we’ll revisit this statement in two months. 

• Haha 2

Ping G425 LST 9º | Fujikura Ventus Black 7TX

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Sik DW | BGT Stability Tour

Not to be a smart arse, but I find it a bit laughable when folks who haven't played a single round of golf with a club state how a club has been a good fit for them. 

I understand people can hit a ton of balls on monitors and look at numbers, but there really is nothing like getting on a course in real conditions, under pressure when you're punished for bad shots. 

Put a good golf swing on any of the new drivers that came out this year and I'm sure you'll get very very similar results. 

Still fun to have a shiny new toy and a ton of fun to read about how great they all are. Even from those who haven't played a single hole with them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bought the Stealth Plus after a fitting (I walked out of the fitting with the exact club I used), took it to the course and I couldn’t keep the ball in the air at all! Low-spin knucklers. I averaged +3* to +5* angle of attack in the fitting and around 1800-2000 spin, it just didn’t show that on the course, so I went back to re-do the fitting. We tried the 10.5* Plus head, same AD-XC 70X shaft. Pretty good. Changed to the 9* Stealth head, and everything fell together perfectly! 2100-2300 spin, consistently over 170 ball speed, and straight! Bagged it up, and took it to the range immediately to see if I’d see the same results live… Yep! Straighter, more forgiving, great launch and spin for me, the Plus was just TOO low.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BallerNate said:

Good luck with it man!

I probably should’ve given the Stealth Plus a few outdoor range sessions and rounds on the course, but so far the STD Stealth has been a really good fit for me,  so I’m happy with giving that this full season to evaluate.

We’ll see how it goes, and maybe I’ll get to the point eventually when I’ll give the Plus another look.

FYI, you automatically get your GolfWRX card revoked if you play a driver for more than a season.  😉😂

• Haha 2

TM Stealth Plus+ 9* - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB - KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura - KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

19 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

FYI, you automatically get your GolfWRX card revoked if you play a driver for more than a season.  😉😂

Haha…no doubt!! Well, I had 9 different Drivers last season, so I’ve got the Platinum WRX card this year!! 🤣🤣

• Like 4

WITB on WRX

2 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Haha…no doubt!! Well, I had 9 different Drivers last season, so I’ve got the Platinum WRX card this year!! 🤣🤣

extremely weird flex. 

how many rounds of golf did you play last season?

Ping G425 LST 9º | Fujikura Ventus Black 7TX

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Sik DW | BGT Stability Tour

55 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

quoting this for posterity. 

we’ll revisit this statement in two months. 

Bahaha!! 🤣🤣🤣

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

WITB on WRX

53 minutes ago, aquapig said:

Not to be a smart arse, but I find it a bit laughable when folks who haven't played a single round of golf with a club state how a club has been a good fit for them. 

I understand people can hit a ton of balls on monitors and look at numbers, but there really is nothing like getting on a course in real conditions, under pressure when you're punished for bad shots. 

Put a good golf swing on any of the new drivers that came out this year and I'm sure you'll get very very similar results. 

Still fun to have a shiny new toy and a ton of fun to read about how great they all are. Even from those who haven't played a single hole with them. 

Spoken like someone who hasn’t been buried under 2 feet of snow since November. 🥶🥶

Trust me, every single one of us have been dying to get out to a course all Winter…the struggle is real!!

• Like 3

WITB on WRX