2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping Driver/Woods 2023?

6 hours ago, m_w said:

I think you are kinda forgetting that Ping designs drivers for the masses (as does every OEM), they don't design drivers for GolfWRX users who swap shafts, hot melt heads, play with adapter settings and so on...so Ping, as will every OEM, will look at data that tells them what a specific audience is going to need. My guess is that the data tells them that the majority of folks that buy the high-MOI model need a slight draw bias, like this and that shape etc..

My guess is that you will be disappointed in the release if those are your actual expectations.

explains why the 425 was a hook-machine for me and I am stuck in the 410 

should have kept the 400 lol....

sad state of affairs, but absolutely fair comments 

thanks for disappointing me 

fingers crossed they make a 12* LST in left-hand now ...speaking of Dreams 

On 3/27/2022 at 7:46 AM, Morry said:

10.5 Max lofted up 1* flat setting, hot melted 6gm front toe, custom head weight with lighter back weight. Boom, just what you want. They can custom build almost anything you want.

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 3/27/2022 at 8:46 AM, Morry said:

12 degree LST. 0% chance that happens. 

10.5 LST with hot melt in the toe side (4-6 grams). For sound, they can use 2-3 grams on the toe side of the crown, and 2-3 grams on the sole. From there, request a lighter Tungsten weight in neutral or fade position. Flat, lofted down one position (down to 9.5), opening the face slightly. That would be hard to be a hook machine. You could also ask for a 10.5 LST head, digitally lofted to the highest loft possible. Essentially, production would search and sort for a head that might not pass the normal loft tolerances, but are recycled for special requests. That might give you a head that is 11+ degrees in the standard position. Call me crazy, but you could also experiment with a slightly longer shaft (maybe 45.5" instead of a 45"). That can make it a little more difficult to get the club face too closed at impact, relative to the path. A good clubfitter with experience around PING products can make nearly anything work. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I use to love Ping drivers.

But boy was that 425 bad. Sounded horrific and spun like crazy.

I hope the new line in 2023 is much better. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS - Ventus TR Blue 6x (44 3/4)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 - Ventus TR Blue 7x

3 Utility: Srixon MKII - Graphite Design DI 95x

Irons: Cobra Tour 4-PW LA Golf L Series 120x

Wedges: Cobra SB 50, 54, 58 LA Golf L Series Wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini

Balls: TP5X

On 3/6/2022 at 9:12 PM, underwater said:

PLEASE PLEASE, PING....focus on sound and feel.  I know so many players who won't use the G425 and proviso because of the hollow loud sound.  It turns heads on the range and not in a good way.

the G410 was such a better feel!

Ping G425 LST 10.5* OG Hzrdus Black 6.5 70g

Exotics EX10 Beta TI 15* Hzrdus Black 6.5 80g 

Cobra Radspeed Tour 19* Aldila NV 2KXV green 85TX

Callaway Apex MB ‘18 / Apex Pro Dot 4-P DG TI X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack Raw 50F, 56F, 60 FF DGTI S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5  35"/71*/4*

17 hours ago, The Ultimate Hack said:

It's crazy reading reports about the 425 being "bad", spinning like crazy, etc... and seeing independent testing come to conclusions like: 

2022 BEST DRIVER FOR HIGH SWING SPEEDS | MyGolfSpy

2022 BEST DRIVER FOR MID SWING SPEEDS | MyGolfSpy

I'm playing a PXG 0811x and hate the sound. If Ping can improve the sound a little bit for G430 that's likely going to be my next driver because their drivers are just so damn good. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, The Ultimate Hack said:

Agreed.  I couldn’t sell my G425 Max driver fast enough. 

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Best driver I've ever played and I've pretty much played them all. Not hook biased.  Best ever combo of accuracy and length.  As point and shoot as a driver can get.   I don't see how they improve on it. 

• Like 4

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 4:01 PM, VanTheMan0519 said:

I’ve had my 425 Max since august. The sound is getting better. Maybe a break in period?

Maybe you're deafening? 🙂  

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

PING G430h 19° Ventus HB-8

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

On 6/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, The Ultimate Hack said:

I’ve heard a lot of people saying the g425 spun like crazy. I’m at 115-118 club head speed and I’m at 2100-2200 rpm…I play the tour 65x tipped 1/2”.

• Like 2

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

17 hours ago, schaperb90 said:

This is my opinion, but when I think of ping, I think of a company who makes 0 compromises in terms of performance. They make they best driver they can, and whatever it sounds like it sounds like. This is a negative to some and a positive towards others. Throw some yarn into the head of it bothers you and/or there are plenty of other drivers that make concessions for performance for sound if it means that much to you. 

I have full confidence in my ping driver. Everytime I've shown up to a driver fit with a ping in my bag, they've told me I shouldn't expect any meaningful gains if my ping still fits me decent. It seems as though the consensus with ping drivers is they just straight perform. 

I like PING, I use a PING hybrid and putter - but It takes no effort to fix the sound of a driver.  Enough people dislike it that you'd think they'd tweak it.  And nobody funnels yarn or puts cottontballs into the head of a driver.  It takes about 20g of yarn or cotton to make a sonic difference.  A cotton ball weighs 1.5g. It takes less hot melt (or G-loo as PING calls it) to make an acoustic change.

You imply that other brands make concession on performance to affect sound? Titleist makes concessions on performance?  Titleist drivers sound great and just won the Open Championship..

...and the US Open

...and Wells Fargo

...and Zurich

...and RBC

...and the PGA

...and the Memorial

So when you talk about other manufacturers giving concessions on performance to make it sound proper, I have no idea what you're referring to.

Come on PING, I'm pulling for you.

Edited by underwater
  • Like 1

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

2 hours ago, underwater said:

I like PING, I use a PING hybrid and putter - but It takes no effort to fix the sound of a driver.  Enough people dislike it that you'd think they'd tweak it.  And nobody funnels yarn or puts cottontballs into the head of a driver.  It takes about 20g of yarn or cotton to make a sonic difference.  A cotton ball weighs 1.5g. It takes less hot melt (or G-loo as PING calls it) to make an acoustic change.

You imply that other brands make concession on performance to affect sound? Titleist makes concessions on performance?  Titleist drivers sound great and just won the Open Championship..

...and the US Open

...and Wells Fargo

...and Zurich

...and RBC

...and the PGA

...and the Memorial

So when you talk about other manufacturers giving concessions on performance to make it sound proper, I have no idea what you're talking about.  

Yes this is exactly what I am saying. I have a very good friend that works for Titleist. I've talked to him plenty of times about this kind of stuff. He has straight up told me that Titleist's brand (at least club wise) is look and sound, and they'll most likely never stray from that in say the way ping did with say turbulators. He even told me there was a time they knew they lacked behind other brands in ball speed/forgiveness/these types of things. You are looking at Titleist now, and I agree Titleist drivers are close to the whole package. They sound good, look good, AND perform awesome. But this also hasn't always been the case. And you are still ignoring the performance benefit Pings are known for. MOI. Forgiveness. Sure the TSI2 is a high MOI head with a lot of forgiveness, but its not the 425 max with the highest MOI head on the market. So yes, I am saying they probably made some concessions. Lets hypothetically say Titleist made a tiny change to the current TSI2 during R&D that very slightly lowered its moi, but made a huge difference in sound. Is this not a concession? I never said they were making HUGE concessions. I was never saying Pings=modern driver while everything else is equivalent to persimmon tech. All drivers are great nowadays lets be real. The difference between them in relatively tiny when you compare across brands but with in the same category (low spin, forgiving, etc). But do I think Ping makes those tiny decisions to give their product the edge performance wise that others may not? Yes.

Not to mention your comment on Titleist drivers and tour wins. So because a driver works for the best players in the world, it means I should buy it? Should everyone play blades because that's what Tiger played too when he won his majors? That logic just doesn't hold up imo and shouldn't be a factor in a driver choice for 99.9% of golfers.

I also think you are probably (I am not a golf club engineer) underestimating the effort it takes to make a driver sound "good". Saying it takes no effort is just foolish, or no one would ever bring sound up when talking about any club, because they'd all sound amazing. Lastly, you are just wrong about yarn. 20 grams to make a difference? I have like 5 feet in my G410 plus. Put it in there just to experiment. Made a sizeable difference, and it was like maybe 3 grams if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, underwater said:

...and the US Open

...and Wells Fargo

...and Zurich

...and RBC

...and the PGA

...and the Memorial

So when you talk about other manufacturers giving concessions on performance to make it sound proper, I have no idea what you're talking about.  

I agree with you except the 20g to make a difference. Ive had success with as little as 4g. 

I also think ping should keep acoustics loud for the max model (slower speeds) but tone down the lst model (faster speeds) and it should be a win/win.

There have been plenty of non-Ping staffers that have played the 400, 410, and 425, and you can usually tell they haven’t been hot melted. More importantly, I have seen a ton of them in bags at courses I’ve played over the years. 

The sound is mainly an issue for the 1%, that being the Golfwrx crowd.

• Like 4
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

8 hours ago, schaperb90 said:

Yes this is exactly what I am saying. I have a very good friend that works for Titleist. I've talked to him plenty of times about this kind of stuff. He has straight up told me that Titleist's brand (at least club wise) is look and sound, and they'll most likely never stray from that in say the way ping did with say turbulators. He even told me there was a time they knew they lacked behind other brands in ball speed/forgiveness/these types of things. You are looking at Titleist now, and I agree Titleist drivers are close to the whole package. They sound good, look good, AND perform awesome. But this also hasn't always been the case. And you are still ignoring the performance benefit Pings are known for. MOI. Forgiveness. Sure the TSI2 is a high MOI head with a lot of forgiveness, but its not the 425 max with the highest MOI head on the market. So yes, I am saying they probably made some concessions. Lets hypothetically say Titleist made a tiny change to the current TSI2 during R&D that very slightly lowered its moi, but made a huge difference in sound. Is this not a concession? I never said they were making HUGE concessions. I was never saying Pings=modern driver while everything else is equivalent to persimmon tech. All drivers are great nowadays lets be real. The difference between them in relatively tiny when you compare across brands but with in the same category (low spin, forgiving, etc). But do I think Ping makes those tiny decisions to give their product the edge performance wise that others may not? Yes.

Not to mention your comment on Titleist drivers and tour wins. So because a driver works for the best players in the world, it means I should buy it? Should everyone play blades because that's what Tiger played too when he won his majors? That logic just doesn't hold up imo and shouldn't be a factor in a driver choice for 99.9% of golfers.

I also think you are probably (I am not a golf club engineer) underestimating the effort it takes to make a driver sound "good". Saying it takes no effort is just foolish, or no one would ever bring sound up when talking about any club, because they'd all sound amazing. Lastly, you are just wrong about yarn. 20 grams to make a difference? I have like 5 feet in my G410 plus. Put it in there just to experiment. Made a sizeable difference, and it was like maybe 3 grams if I remember correctly.

Saying Titleist drivers are akin to playing Tiger Blades is ludicrous. 

In your perspective you think changing sound of a driver is such an engineering feat that PING R&D throws up their hands and says "just let it be, we can't quiet thing thing down no matter what we try"?  Come on.  PING's roots are in engineering - maybe more than any other club mfg..  

You've somehow tied loudness and MOI together in your argument and that makes zero sense.  The two ideas are mutually exclusive.  But because PING drivers are loud, AND also have high MOI you've mistakenly linked the 2 concepts.

You challenge my assertion that PING should quiet their drivers down a touch, YET here you are telling us how you are stuffing 5 feet of yarn into your PING driver.

Edited by underwater

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

8 hours ago, Konklifer said:

There have been plenty of non-Ping staffers that have played the 400, 410, and 425, and you can usually tell they haven’t been hot melted. More importantly, I have seen a ton of them in bags at courses I’ve played over the years. 

The sound is mainly an issue for the 1%, that being the Golfwrx crowd.

Yep, the 1%'ers of Golfwrx are the most critical and difficult to please but don't represent sales all that well. Go to google and type in "best golf driver of 2022" and within the first handful of entries you'll see MGS and they gave the crown to the G425 Max from their testing. Ping isn't hurting for sales, they G425 series of drivers has been a smashing success for them. 

2 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

Yep, the 1%'ers of Golfwrx are the most critical and difficult to please but don't represent sales all that well. Go to google and type in "best golf driver of 2022" and within the first handful of entries you'll see MGS and they gave the crown to the G425 Max from their testing. Ping isn't hurting for sales, they G425 series of drivers has been a smashing success for them. 

Just my opinion: MGS isn’t as honest as everyone thinks they are, especially with their most wanted testing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

In the last 2 years, 200+ rounds, 2 golf trips, probably 30 rounds outside my home course, I have seen ONLY ONE Ping G425 driver. Surprisingly Titleist TSi is also super rare. It's all Rogue, SIM, and Stealth.

Edited by Strategery

6 hours ago, underwater said:

Saying Titleist drivers are akin to playing Tiger Blades is ludicrous. 

In your perspective you think changing sound of a driver is such an engineering feat that PING R&D throws up their hands and says "just let it be, we can't quiet thing thing down no matter what we try"?  Come on.  PING's roots are in engineering - maybe more than any other club mfg..  

You've somehow tied loudness and MOI together in your argument and that makes zero sense.  The two ideas are mutually exclusive.  But because PING drivers are loud, AND also have high MOI you've mistakenly linked the 2 concepts.

You challenge my assertion that PING should quiet their drivers down a touch, YET here you are telling us how you are stuffing 5 feet of yarn into your PING driver.

You're missing the point I'm making with the Tiger blades analogy. All I'm saying is I simply don't care at all for the most part about what the pros use/more often than not get paid to use. Their driver in my bag doesn't make me drive it like them, their irons don't make me hit more greens, and Cam's putter in my bag doesn't mean I drain 20 footers like he did yesterday. I mean let's be real. Cam's tsr2 didn't win him the open, his putting did. So to assert tour wins with a driver equates to the best driver is crazy. 

Yes, I challenged your assertion that IF quieting their drivers down would at all affect their drivers performance, they should not do it. The fact that I put yarn in my head, which I brought up from my first post here, is irrelevant to this fact. Engineer the BEST driver you can, because there are plenty of easy ways to try to mod it. Not to mention I didn't do it because it bothered me that much, I did it because, like most other wrx guys here, I like to tinker with these types of stuff. If you can try something that simple to improve a driver in any way, why not? Easy to put it, easy to take out. Where's the downside?

Also, yes, I am comparing pings high moi to sound and I don't understand how tying those two is far fetched at all. Break it down. MOI is just stretching weight as low and far back as possible. It's no secret. What has ping done to do this? Here's an example, dragonfly on the crown, which makes it thin, so they can then put said weight lower and further back. All with a titanium crown to say the least. You can't see how thinning the crown could lead to a louder sound less pleasant sound? There's a reason the consensus on where to hot melt is these clubs is the crown if doing it for strictly sound. MOI by itself doesn't affect sound I agree with you there. But the things ping does to achieve this moi DO affect sound, so they are still tied together. 

Maybe people think they should use carbon like other brands? That's been shown to change the sound pretty drastically. But first off, if it actually saves as much weight as they claim vs titanium, shouldn't other brands be able to easily put MOI the ping? Especially with carbon faces too. But they don't. Partly because carbon is a marketing strategy, but also from what I hear carbon is more of a cost saving measure over titanium than it is a real weight saving technique. 

Now I'm not saying MOI is all there is to care about. It has its downsides. The further you stretch the weight low and back the lower the potential ball speed is by a small margin. But ping tries to negate this by using heavier heads than other brands, then using counter balanced shafts to mask this added weight. Even through doing this they are probably very slightly slower. They too are making concessions but between ball speed and moi instead of sound and moi. With that being said though, I am more than willing to give up a couple mph ball speed (maybe 4 yards max if I remember the conversion correctly) for this added forgiveness. This is imo a more balanced/desirable club to me. 98% of potential ball speed for 102% moi relatively speaking. Obviously making these numbers up but you get the point.

The last thing I would say is EVERY manufacturer has their "max" version. All of these drivers goal/market is to make the club as easy to hit as possible no? This for the most part means pushing the limits on MOI. Now if we can at least agree on that, why is ping the highest out? Do I think their engineers/R&D are just that much better? No. But the answer is simple. Everyone is making concessions in certain areas to benefit others. Our idea of what makes a desirable driver appears to just be different. Which is fine.

2 hours ago, schaperb90 said:

You're missing the point I'm making with the Tiger blades analogy. All I'm saying is I simply don't care at all for the most part about what the pros use/more often than not get paid to use. Their driver in my bag doesn't make me drive it like them, their irons don't make me hit more greens, and Cam's putter in my bag doesn't mean I drain 20 footers like he did yesterday. I mean let's be real. Cam's tsr2 didn't win him the open, his putting did. So to assert tour wins with a driver equates to the best driver is crazy. 

Yes, I challenged your assertion that IF quieting their drivers down would at all affect their drivers performance, they should not do it. The fact that I put yarn in my head, which I brought up from my first post here, is irrelevant to this fact. Engineer the BEST driver you can, because there are plenty of easy ways to try to mod it. Not to mention I didn't do it because it bothered me that much, I did it because, like most other wrx guys here, I like to tinker with these types of stuff. If you can try something that simple to improve a driver in any way, why not? Easy to put it, easy to take out. Where's the downside?

Also, yes, I am comparing pings high moi to sound and I don't understand how tying those two is far fetched at all. Break it down. MOI is just stretching weight as low and far back as possible. It's no secret. What has ping done to do this? Here's an example, dragonfly on the crown, which makes it thin, so they can then put said weight lower and further back. All with a titanium crown to say the least. You can't see how thinning the crown could lead to a louder sound less pleasant sound? There's a reason the consensus on where to hot melt is these clubs is the crown if doing it for strictly sound. MOI by itself doesn't affect sound I agree with you there. But the things ping does to achieve this moi DO affect sound, so they are still tied together. 

Maybe people think they should use carbon like other brands? That's been shown to change the sound pretty drastically. But first off, if it actually saves as much weight as they claim vs titanium, shouldn't other brands be able to easily put MOI the ping? Especially with carbon faces too. But they don't. Partly because carbon is a marketing strategy, but also from what I hear carbon is more of a cost saving measure over titanium than it is a real weight saving technique. 

Now I'm not saying MOI is all there is to care about. It has its downsides. The further you stretch the weight low and back the lower the potential ball speed is by a small margin. But ping tries to negate this by using heavier heads than other brands, then using counter balanced shafts to mask this added weight. Even through doing this they are probably very slightly slower. They too are making concessions but between ball speed and moi instead of sound and moi. With that being said though, I am more than willing to give up a couple mph ball speed (maybe 4 yards max if I remember the conversion correctly) for this added forgiveness. This is imo a more balanced/desirable club to me. 98% of potential ball speed for 102% moi relatively speaking. Obviously making these numbers up but you get the point.

The last thing I would say is EVERY manufacturer has their "max" version. All of these drivers goal/market is to make the club as easy to hit as possible no? This for the most part means pushing the limits on MOI. Now if we can at least agree on that, why is ping the highest out? Do I think their engineers/R&D are just that much better? No. But the answer is simple. Everyone is making concessions in certain areas to benefit others. Our idea of what makes a desirable driver appears to just be different. Which is fine.

Plenty of rear weighted 460cc drivers that sounds muted or tolerable.  Such as every other driver in 2022 production.  

It's not the MOI making it loud - you need to learn to stop tying the 2 things together.  PING drivers are loud because they didn't address it. 

PING doesn't have an exclusive on forgiveness.  The difference in forgiveness between the G425 and another companies MOST forgiving driver is like comparing forgiveness of a Mizuno blade and a TItleist blade.  It's a rounding error.

Edited by underwater

TItleist TSR3 9° HZRDUS

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS

Mizuno 241 4-P KBS Tour

Vokey SM9 50f, 54s, 60m

L.A.B. Link.1

28 minutes ago, underwater said:

Plenty of rear weighted 460cc drivers that sounds muted or tolerable.  Such as every other driver in 2022 production.  

It's not the MOI making it loud - you need to learn to stop tying the 2 things together.  PING drivers are loud because they didn't address it. 

PING doesn't have an exclusive on forgiveness.  The difference in forgiveness between the G425 and another companies MOST forgiving driver is like comparing forgiveness of a Mizuno blade and a TItleist blade.  It's a rounding error.

You clearly aren't even reading my replies so I'll make it simple.

Sure plenty of 460 rear weighted drivers that are muted. But are they THE BEST option for the category. NO

Things done to drivers to raise MOI CAN make it loud. MOI doesn't equal loud. 

Funny how you now want to make blade comparisons. 

Anyways, believe what you want. It doesn't bother me. I've explained why I believe what I believe, and you've responded with "it sounds bad because they didn't address it" multiple times. These statement hold no water and are 100% not backed up by logic or knowledge that this is actually the case. This debate isn't worth it.

The G425 LST didn't sound that bad at all but the Max is absolutely disgusting. It literally sounds like an old aluminum baseball bat hitting a metal pole. Ive played the G30/G400/G410 drivers and didn't mind the louder sound at all, but the G425 Max is in a different league.

• Like 1

I've chimed in once already but I just don't get the noise claims. I get that some people may be sensitive to loud noises but this is not that. It is loud(er) when not hit in the center of the face but that is just feedback.

I have the LST and over the weekend I hit the MAX. It had the Alta 55 stiff, complete off the shelf club and it was so muted and felt amazing. This was in an acoustic environment with some kind of dimple-less rock ball with the tarp behind the net so it sounds like a loud explosion. 

I will give you the fact that it is a little spinny. More than the Rogue ST Max with Tensei Blue 55 stiff was. That's just a simple shaft adjustment.

1 hour ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

I've chimed in once already but I just don't get the noise claims. I get that some people may be sensitive to loud noises but this is not that. It is loud(er) when not hit in the center of the face but that is just feedback.

I have the LST and over the weekend I hit the MAX. It had the Alta 55 stiff, complete off the shelf club and it was so muted and felt amazing. This was in an acoustic environment with some kind of dimple-less rock ball with the tarp behind the net so it sounds like a loud explosion. 

I will give you the fact that it is a little spinny. More than the Rogue ST Max with Tensei Blue 55 stiff was. That's just a simple shaft adjustment.

I hit a good few out of the middle at an outdoor PING demo day and it just sounded so clanky/tinny. It might not of been louder than the LST but it just had a high pitched clank that literally everyone noticed at the demo day.

Even the PING demo rep mentioned the sound difference when I hit the G425 Max first after base lining my G410 Max. 

Everyone is different though and some people don't care too much about sound/feel, all the power to them, but 95% of the complainant I've seen against the G425 drivers are about sound.