2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

USK Worlds - advice and travel

So with USK Worlds getting through their invitations, looking for some advice/thoughts on traveling in and out of Pinehurst, as well as areas around to maybe visit pre/post event.

Obviously our first trip there so very excited. We have a condo booked already. Flying from West Coast into Charlotte.

How early would you get to town? I keep hearing different opinions.

Which of the USK events are things we shouldn't miss? what can be skipped?

Haven't spent much time in South...where would you visit if we were to take a week post tournament to cruise around?

Worth spending time in Charlotte? Kiawah? Hilton Head? Savannah?

After 4 days of golf, are your kids burnt out? Or should I look to play some more golf at the Pinehurst courses w her?

Anything else? thx!

We had a late tee time everyday when we played, which was great for sleeping in, but terrible for doing anything when done.

If we had more time and energy, I'd try to play #2(This is my biggest regret) and maybe visit Duke. 

If first time, the parade is a must.  Bring some trinkets to share.   

Sign up for team tournament.  That gets filled up within 2 minutes of opening.  

Play the cradle with the family, but keep count of your clubs. 

I think we visited a museum in Raleigh but that was about it.  At then end, the whole family was burnt out cuz it's a week long "work", not "vacation".  

Edited by mrshinsa

Charlotte is a great City.  Plenty to do there.  Carowinds Amusement Park is a cool place for the kids and not that expensive.

The Humidity is what is going to get you coming from your neck of the woods.  Make sure to hydrate and get a couple of Cooling towels.

I would get to town two days early and make sure you play 2 practice rounds.  A lot of golf related activity in that area as well as fishing if you like to fish.

Have Fun.  It is a really cool experience.

Edited by heavy_hitter

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

They haven't done the team event since 2019. The parade is a must. Its annoying at times but so cool to see at the same time. Last year it rained at least it wasn't hot then hahaha. Its easier to fly into RDU and the drive is much shorter for what its worth but that's not always an option. I always get there early way early(around 10 days we stay) but I also hate the official practice round day and typically skip it, and try to do prep before a lot of the kids get into town. But depends on the age of the kid and what course she is playing. 

We are typically wiped after worlds. As in dead tired. Especially after last year with the index was 105+ each day. It was brutal last year. Few water hazards I considered falling into them.  In Pinehurst there isn't much there to do but play golf.  The cradle is a lot of fun. Lots of good places to eat. Enjoy the experience its one of the better experiences in junior golf imo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 YO Son.

- We typically arrive Tues, play practice Round on Tues & Wed.  My son would be burned out if we did all the events offered - team, parent/child, 2 practice rounds, 3 Tmnt rounds.    But I've seen several kids have a successful week and do it all.

- Big Challenge I've learned is finding the balance between it being a family vacation week and a tmnt they've worked hard to prepare for.   Lots of distractions - tons of friends they've made over the years, POOL TIME, family traveling to watch, Long Drive & Flop shot competitions, etc.    My view is that how well they do in this tmnt has no real long term impact (no college scholarships for the 10 YO World Champion...though I guess it could boost the IG status if you are into that 🤷‍♂️).   We make sure he gets a good night sleep and hydrates well , but other than that we want him (and the whole family) to have fun.  Its an expensive vacation for all of us.  On the contrary, you will see lots of kids driven to GRIND all week. ( hate that word related to golf practice btw, such negative connotation).  To each his own.

- Consider Charleston (I live here, so biased).  If you are looking for extra golf in your travels, it will be very hard to top your Pinehurst experience, where literally the whole community and seemingly daily life surrounds golf!   Kiawah has some good golf, but is a little quiet from an activity standpoint - Beach, bike riding, eating, golf.    Depends on family age and what you are into I guess.    As @heavy_hitter said, it will be brutally HOT and humid wherever you go.   Beach may be a good reprieve.   Personally we are all spent on golf after the week. 

Edited by hangontight
  • Like 3

We went once a few years ago.  This time around, we are going about a week ahead to prepare the best we can as this will be my son's last go at it.   Last time around I treated it more as a golf vacation and we got roasted in the process. lol.   Buddies were hiring local caddies to get used to the greens etc and I didn't do any of those things.   You will see a lot of kids with a full on team out there ie. caddy, swing coach, mental coach, etc.  It's crazy

After practice, I hope to fish a bit so if anyone can recommend some honey holes I'd love to hear about it.   Our goal this time around is to finish top 10 and hopefully make the Van Horn Cup.  If time wasn't an issue, I would love to stick around a few days after and play some of the really good courses out that way- #2, Tobacco Road, etc.

• Like 1

@kekoa Tobacco Road is stunning. That place is one I would love to play! Of course number 2 is on the wish list but a lot easier to play that. I might have her play number 2 this summer. I know there is lake Pinehurst where some of the condos are that you can fish I would assume but I can't officially confirm that one. Yeah some do bring entire teams, TM's on the range. It can get crazy what you see out there. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, Bizzle80 said:

Savannah?

I'm not gonna lie to you--I can't help you out with any part of Worlds.

That said, Savannah--though hot as Hades in the summer--is my favorite place in the South to get lost for a few days.  Specifically, Tybee Island and get a rental house on the delta as far south on Chatham Ave as you can and walk to the beach for a few hours of chill. The water is calm and shallow through the northern part of the Delta there, and parking is sparse (tolls too, if memory serves) if you don't have a rental along there to walk from. Finding peace is a very personal thing, but I have found it there all three of my stays there.  Although I live in a beach town and rarely go to the beach, I spend a healthy amount of time in the sand when I'm there.

Savannah itself is interesting.   Outstanding southern restaurants like The Olde Pink House (fried green tomato BLT salad is epic, rest of the food is stupid good) and Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room (best fried chicken on the planet if Gus' in Memphis isn't... get there early if you don't want to wait for a few hours) are almost worth the trip to the area alone.  Bring cash, they don't take plastic (ATM on-site, though)  Forsyth Park is a worthwhile slice of Americana to spend part of a morning or afternoon traversing.  One of the coolest public playgrounds I've seen is there, along with the legendary fountain and Forrest Gump's bus bench.  Lots of shade throughout the park makes it a pleasant walk even in the sweltering summer. 

River Street is interesting (and loaded with appealing restaurants), if not a touch touristy (but as tourists, who cares?).   If the Savannah Bananas are in town for your visit, word is they put on quite a show but I've not had the pleasure yet.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, kekoa said:

Worlds is just around the corner.  Who else besides @Bizzle80 is going?  This year Boys 12 is playing Forest Creek which is a new course in the rotation.  I've heard pretty good things about it.  Hope to meet a few of you out there.

Interesting they are moving it off of Pinehurst property.

8 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Interesting they are moving it off of Pinehurst property.

@heavy_hitter It's moved due to the renovation work happening at No. 8 this summer. They'll be back next year.  

https://www.golftipsmag.com/travel/southeast/pinehurst-no-8-get-agronomic-upgrade/ 

Forest Creek is definitely up to substituting in this summer. My son wrapped up a 2-day event there today and the course was in excellent condition. Be prepared to walk...it's definitely not flat. Also of note, you don't come back to the clubhouse at the turn. We were off hole 10 on the first day of his event and it took us a solid 10 minutes in a cart to get out there from the clubhouse. I'm sure they'll be running some sort of shuttle but be sure to build in enough time if you're going off the back 9. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kekoa said:

Worlds is just around the corner.  Who else besides @Bizzle80 is going?  This year Boys 12 is playing Forest Creek which is a new course in the rotation.  I've heard pretty good things about it.  Hope to meet a few of you out there.

We will be there again. Girls 11 playing Pinehurst 6 this year. 

People I know say Forest Creek is a very very nice course. 

2 hours ago, Golfingdawg19 said:

We will be there for Teen World next week. My daughter is playing number 6. This is going to be our last US Kids Worlds so my intent is to relax and enjoy it.

Relax and Enjoy when you are caddying?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHACracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Relax and Enjoy when you are caddying?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHACracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

What a cruel yet very very true comment. 

“We have no expectation. We just gonna have fun. we just gonna go and enjoy the experience.”  No matter how hard and often I remind myself, I can throw that out of the window after 1st bad shot. 

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:18 PM, Bizzle80 said:

We will be there. Getting really excited for first trip to Worlds.

Getting in really early though to try and acclimate to humidity and get practice rounds in before everyone else shows up.

Dog Days Summer GIF by Wrecked