2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Looking for graphite that feels and performs like Modus 3 105

2 hours ago, CROUSE99 said:

Adding pro soft inserts to steel shafts doesn’t give me enough vibration dampening because of elbow and hand problems. However, I really like the feel and performance of the Modus 3 shafts. Can anyone recommend graphite shafts to try that might be close to the Nippons?

Which flex modus 105 are you playing?

Edited by Stuart_G

1 hour ago, CROUSE99 said:

I’ve just tried a stiff but probably need a regular. 

why do you say that?   Don't make judgements based on the flex label or your swing speed or distance.  How did they feel?   How did they perform?     Couldn't have been too bad if you want to find a graphite shaft that's similar.

BTW The modus 105 Stiffs are about the same as everyone else's regular flex. And in some cases even softer.  So if you drop down to Nippon's reg flex, that puts you in most other shaft companies senior flex.

Edited by Stuart_G

I agree with @Stuart_G Modus 105 "S" is similar to "R" by other OEMs. 

Finding a graphite shaft that's similar to Modus 105s is not easy; you'll have to look at lighter weight shafts.  I have sets of MMT 105, Steelfiber i95 and i110, all in "S", and they are more stout than Modus S. 

I am sure you can find some "R" graphite shafts, but suspect most are less than 100g.  Check out Fujikura Pro iron shafts, 95g - parallel tip.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I would give the MItubishi MMT 90- S a shot, its at 98 grams with a mid-spin mid-launch profile. Also potentially the Mitubishi Tensei AV White AM2- S which ascends from 90-108 grams. I don't see the Tensei often, but the MMT is available through most of the manufacturers these days.

Have you ever tried the KBS C-Taper Lite in Regular Flex? Thats a 105 gram weight class and performs incredibly smooth, IMO. It is nothing like it's counterpart from KBS the C-Taper. Either way, best of luck!

#TeamTaylormade

Driver: Taylormade Stealth2 Plus 8 deg Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black 6TX

3-wood: Taylormade Stealth2 Plus 15 deg Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X

2 Iron: Taylormade Sim UDI Shaft: Mitubishi Tensei Blue 85TX

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4i-PW Shafts: MMT 105 TX

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 50-SB 55-HB 60-SB TT Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Tour

Grips: Iomic Sticky 2.3 Black/Red

Ball: Taylormade TP5x #11

Beer: Bud Light 12oz Cans

On 3/17/2022 at 1:02 PM, LWelchGolf said:

lso potentially the Mitubishi Tensei AV White AM2- S which ascends from 90-108 grams. I don't see the Tensei often, but the MMT is available through most of the manufacturers these days.

Good call.  Except I have 2-PW of Tensei AV White AM2 in S, and using them in 2i-4i, MMT 125S in 5i-LW   Anyhow, even though they are lightweight shafts, they are HIGH bend and stout.  Even Mitsu says so.  I wouldn't be afraid to say Stiff is almost X-stiff in other profiles, and only recommend them to someone who has a strong grooved swing.  But not someone who likes Modus 105s. 

Recently switched to SF i110cw stiff in 2-PW, and SF i125 stiff in my gap wedge.

Edited by Pepperturbo
Equipment update
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

My experience is that Recoil 110 in F4 is not that far off - the Recoils feel a touch stiffer.  But if you truly need more flex that Modus 105 in stiff, then I agree with Pepper that you're going to have to look at something lighter.  I can personally attest that Steelfiber i95's in regular play quite a bit stiffer than Modus 105 in stiff, so I know that's not the answer.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

This is an eye opening thread. I play the Modus 105s in my irons and absolutely love them.

Hearing that it plays soft to flex, it has me thinking about the shaft in my driver and if I should go softer.  My old instructor had a trackman out on the range. My driver SS was 98 mph. My general ball flight is straight with my irons/hybrid.  My misses are a dead push or push slice.  The push slice is exclusively with my driver.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

23 hours ago, mantan said:

This is an eye opening thread. I play the Modus 105s in my irons and absolutely love them.

Hearing that it plays soft to flex, it has me thinking about the shaft in my driver and if I should go softer.  My old instructor had a trackman out on the range. My driver SS was 98 mph. My general ball flight is straight with my irons/hybrid.  My misses are a dead push or push slice.  The push slice is exclusively with my driver.

There are many variables that could contribute to having a dead push or push slice with your driver besides a shaft that may be too stiff - posture, club length, shaft angle, grip size, swing weight... If you can get back to that old instructor, I'd have them evaluate your swing and use the Trackman if you choose to explore different shaft options.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I played the Modus 105 in bothe stiff and regular.

Now in SteeFiber i95cw regular and very happy. Can barely tell the diff in weight.

The SF fc90cw may be another option to try as well, if you can.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

have u tried Dynamic gold 105

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I went from Modus 105 stiff to Recoil 780 Smacwrap F4 (stiff) and found it to be a pretty seamless transition.  The Recoils have done wonders for my hands, wrists and elbows and I thought the "feel" was nearly identical.

Biggest difference in performance is I CAN hit the Recoils quite a bit higher when I want to but it's not an inherent difference that causes any problems.  I have found both the Modus 105 and the Recoils to be quite easy to flight down when needed and the "normal" trajectory on full swings to be about the same.

Now if they could just do something for my back problems........

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Not the same I know but I went from Nippon NS Pro 980 GH to Recoil 95.

Stiff flex for both. The Recoils are really nice and feel similar to the Nippon to me

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 7:21 PM, Stuart_G said:

why do you say that?   Don't make judgements based on the flex label or your swing speed or distance.  How did they feel?   How did they perform?     Couldn't have been too bad if you want to find a graphite shaft that's similar.

BTW The modus 105 Stiffs are about the same as everyone else's regular flex. And in some cases even softer.  So if you drop down to Nippon's reg flex, that puts you in most other shaft companies senior flex.

I know you know your stuff so it surprises me to hear you say that the Modus 105S plays so soft to flex. When you say that, are you referring specifically to tip? Because the middle is stiffer than the 120S, isn’t it?

Presently, I can’t make my mind up between these two: I prefer the stouter feel of the 105S to the whippiness of the 120S, but it does feel a little light and I have a tendency to hook left.

3 hours ago, Ireland2 said:

I know you know your stuff so it surprises me to hear you say that the Modus 105S plays so soft to flex. When you say that, are you referring specifically to tip?

When it comes to flex designations, tip stiffness is always going to be all over the place.  Most OEM's use butt stiffness to judge flex.   So no, that's not what I was referring to.  I'm talking about the whole shaft relative to other shaft OEM's shafts, not to other Nippon models.

Because the middle is stiffer than the 120S, isn’t it?

Not really.  The main difference between the Nippon 120 and the nippon 105 is the tip stiffness, and the tip is much softer in the 105 than the 120.  The 105 does have a slightly stiffer butt section but middle is almost the same.

Presently, I can’t make my mind up between these two: I prefer the stouter feel of the 105S to the whippiness of the 120S, but it does feel a little light and I have a tendency to hook left.

Weight really is more important for most than stiffness.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Something to consider is that many graphite iron shafts ONLY come in .370(parallel).  What irons do you play as that might have an impact on your options.  If you want a budget option, parallel only, what about the NV Black iron shafts found on Golfworks for only $27.99?  Heck, at that price, have them build you a single club with that shaft and see.

• 1 month later...

I went from Modus 105s to MMT 95s with no problem.  

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

• 7 months later...

I never realized or heard Modus 105s play soft to flex. Mainly because I play stiff in everything else and they feel the same. Even before I had Modus stiff I had Dynamic gold and always in stiff. Driver swing speed is 101, which sits directly in the middle of what's considered stiff. I actually hit the 105x as well and it felt similiar. Thanks for the info

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

The new Recoil Darts, 90 and 105 have pretty much the same profile as the Modus 105 according to The Golfworks guys.

Edited by pjc

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

14 hours ago, pjc said:

The new Recoil Darts, 90 and 105 have pretty much the same profile as the Modus 105 according to The Golfworks guys.

I wouldn't put much faith in that.  They don't measure even close to the complete EI profile like the way Russ Ryden does on his site or Wishon did with his software.

2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

I wouldn't put much faith in that.  They don't measure even close to the complete EI profile like the way Russ Ryden does on his site or Wishon did with his software.

Well, they state they measure the butt, mid section, and tip section of the shafts that they have on hand.  They sometimes seem to be off a little bit from time to time, but for the most part in their Q&A is pretty accurate.  I have hit the Modus and the Recoil Dart's and I would agree that they do feel very similar, very linear.  

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

On 3/24/2022 at 2:48 PM, RainShadow said:

I played the Modus 105 in bothe stiff and regular.

Now in SteeFiber i95cw regular and very happy. Can barely tell the diff in weight.

The SF fc90cw may be another option to try as well, if you can.

I have the Steelfiber i80 cw and the fc 90 in 7-irons.  The fc 90 plays a lot softer, and launches a good bit higher than the i80.  Both are regular flex.  The i80 came directly from Titleist.  the fc 90 was a re-shaft, and perhaps not tipped correctly?  But I think that the shaft was specific for a 7-iron.  In any event, I was surprised by the fc 90.  

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

4 hours ago, gvogel said:

I have the Steelfiber i80 cw and the fc 90 in 7-irons.  The fc 90 plays a lot softer, and launches a good bit higher than the i80.  Both are regular flex.  The i80 came directly from Titleist.  the fc 90 was a re-shaft, and perhaps not tipped correctly?  But I think that the shaft was specific for a 7-iron.  In any event, I was surprised by the fc 90.  

I personally struggled with the fc90, found them very tempo dependent.

I like both the i95 and i80, and recently got fit to the i80 Reg in ZX5 MKII’s.

It’s been 5 years since I was fit to the i95’s. And I’ve lost a little speed due to Parkinson’s disease.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

9 hours ago, gvogel said:

If it was the taper tip 7 iron shaft - no tipping would be needed.

Steelfiber FC series have a softer profile than the i-series - so your experience is not that surprising at all and about what I would expect.

But despite that - lots of people are surprised at the FC series since most people associate the "steelfiber" feel with just that of the i-series experiences and can't get beyond the point that there are different models with different profiles and performance with that name.

• Like 1