2022 Chevron Championship

Golf Dino

29 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

With all the ads, too much commentator airtime vs actual golf coverage I barely watched the final two rounds.

I have to agree, I was the same. Also didn't help with Jen K in such a commanding lead after R3 (congrats to her). Contrast that with The Masters where I can't get enough of everything.

It is what it is and shows the gap but also what can be achieved over time. Mission Hills is gone, start again at a new venue but keep the key traditions?

As @Golf Dino said above: "If there is going to be a women's major similar in stature to the Masters, then it needs to happen in short order.  There are two distinguishing features of the Masters that sets it apart from all the others -- its traditions and its venue."

First step: get an iconic venue on board, committed by both parties and make it the women's Augusta. Easy to type this, not so easy to do, though.

What is that venue for a partnership?

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

10 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

I have to agree, I was the same. Also didn't help with Jen K in such a commanding lead after R3 (congrats to her). Contrast that with The Masters where I can't get enough of everything.

It is what it is and shows the gap but also what can be achieved over time. Mission Hills is gone, start again at a new venue but keep the key traditions?

As @Golf Dino said above: "If there is going to be a women's major similar in stature to the Masters, then it needs to happen in short order.  There are two distinguishing features of the Masters that sets it apart from all the others -- its traditions and its venue."

First step: get an iconic venue on board, committed by both parties and make it the women's Augusta. Easy to type this, not so easy to do, though.

What is that venue for a partnership?

What are the odds, that they eventually return to Mission Hills in Palm Springs = as that iconic venue for an LPGA Major? (if the Houston venue next year = doesn't provide that 'wow' factor / attract the targeted viewership/ attendees?)

... otherwise that leaves the Amundi Evian as the only other major with a non-rotation/permanent venue, for time being? (scenic views, albeit hasn't got a good reputation as a memorable design/ a bit 'agricultural'? )

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

What are the odds, that they eventually return to Mission Hills in Palm Springs = as that iconic venue for an LPGA Major? (if the Houston venue next year = doesn't provide that 'wow' factor / attract the targeted viewership/ attendees?)

... otherwise that leaves the Amundi Evian as the only other major with a non-rotation/permanent venue, for time being? (scenic views, albeit hasn't got a good reputation as a memorable design/ a bit 'agricultural'? )

Yes, Houston has disaster written all over it with no venue confirmed yet? and how good will it be anyway.

Evian at least has the scenic aspect right, maybe some course updating could get it closer to what is needed. Augusta updates constantly.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

4 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Thanks for raising that point . . . I neglected to include that in my musings.  🙂  Its funny how a glass of wine or whisky will get people to become more contemplative and philosophical!  

Anyway, last evening's post was the influence of a glass of wine . . . this mornings from the caffeine jolt of coffee at 5:30 a.m. 😄   . . . someone in our building burned toast in their suite and it set off the bldg's fire alarm . . . so I used a couple of generous cups of coffee to kickstart my day!  

In these circumstances, I think you should kick start your day (or rather, hair of the dog?) with more wine or whisky.

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2022 at 5:34 PM, Golf Dino said:

Just a few thoughts on a Women's major: 

The Majors are the Majors when it comes to men's golf.  The LPGA has struggled in this area . . . especially when it is a major that does not have the backing of one of the governing bodies such as the PGA, USGA, and the R&A . . . That leaves the Amundi Evian, the newest addition to the stable of major championships along with the now Chevron Championship.  

The Chevron and its prior iterations have been likened to the Masters - springtime, iconic founders, played at the same venue, year in and year out . . . etc.   

If there is going to be a women's major similar in stature to the Masters, then it needs to happen in short order.  There are two distinguishing features of the Masters that sets it apart from all the others -- its traditions and its venue. 

The traditions are celebrated at the Masters, it is embodied in the very fabric of the tournament from Green Jacket (no pun intended, but it works) the Champions dinner, to honourary starters.  It is also the youngest of the men's major championships, yet, has come to be revered for its traditions.   

The other key factor is the venue.  Merely holding the event at the same venue, year in and year out, misses the mark completely.  That is not what makes it special.  Would the Masters be the Masters if it was held annually at Bushwood Country Club? -- No it would not.  Despite the traditions, it is the golf course that is the centrepiece of the Masters . . . it is known for its difficult and challenging layout that consistently provides enough viewing drama to keep patrons focused. 

It does not require thick, penal rough a la US Opens, it does not need the wind to be its primary form of defence as a links course -- though it too can wreak havoc when it is up and swirling around between the trees such as it does for Amen Corner.  No, it is both the green complexes and it is the overall design/layout of the course that thrusts the course into the limelight.  The design/layout makes it difficult for a tee shot to cut the corners on holes like 10th . . . where one needs their tee shot to land to the right side in order to have a clear shot at the green.  Too far left and you are cut off from direct sight of the green, running the risk of a bogey or worse a double.   

So if the LPGA is serious about a major in the spirit of the Masters, then it needs to bring its Dinah Shore traditions to a worthy home where it will be for years to come . . .a course that is both aesthetically pleasing on the cameras, challenging, but fair, and memorable in its design and layout -- particularly on the second 9.  Like the Masters, the Chevron should not really begin until the second 9 on Sunday.   

For me this is spot on, tradition and venue. For the ladies the tradition of Poppies pond may be a tough one to follow up on. Obviously, if they found a willing course to host a "Ladies Masters" for an extended period of time, would the course be willing to excavate a pond along the 18th to keep the "leap" alive?

Doubtful, unless they have one already which could be converted into such a pond. If the tradition can't be replicated, create a new one perhaps. Or move on to the next best thing.

I feel they should start with a visually stunning venue, that also has some teeth to it. It seems one of the first things you think about when you hear Augusta is how beautiful the course looks. I don't know the course needs to be a well known legendary course like Oakmont or Torrey, it just needs to be their own slice of heaven on turf.

• Like 3

Looking at the Golf Channel schedule this week I’m thinking maybe this would be a good week for Chevron. There’s no Senior event and PGA is only using the 2:00-5:00(Houston time) window. This would allow Chevron to still have the double window it’s had recently. They could go 10:00-2:00 and then 5:00-7:00 on Thursday and Friday. 

On 4/9/2022 at 9:28 PM, ChronicSlicer said:

For me this is spot on, tradition and venue. For the ladies the tradition of Poppies pond may be a tough one to follow up on. Obviously, if they found a willing course to host a "Ladies Masters" for an extended period of time, would the course be willing to excavate a pond along the 18th to keep the "leap" alive?

Doubtful, unless they have one already which could be converted into such a pond. If the tradition can't be replicated, create a new one perhaps. Or move on to the next best thing.

I feel they should start with a visually stunning venue, that also has some teeth to it. It seems one of the first things you think about when you hear Augusta is how beautiful the course looks. I don't know the course needs to be a well known legendary course like Oakmont or Torrey, it just needs to be their own slice of heaven on turf.

I agree with Christina Kim's sentiment, i.e. that more could've (should've?) been done to keep the Chevron at Mission Hills/ Palm Springs, from POV of tradition/ a perpetual single-site venue for a Ladies' Major.

She did get a lot of flak for those comments ... presumably because of the "absolutely disgusted" quote & linked Augusta reference ?

https://www.golfwrx.com/674261/absolutely-disgusting-lpga-pro-blasts-augusta-national-for-its-role-in-major-venue-change/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

I agree with Christina Kim's sentiment, i.e. that more could've (should've?) been done to keep the Chevron at Mission Hills/ Palm Springs, from POV of tradition/ a perpetual single-site venue for a Ladies' Major.

She did get a lot of flak for those comments ... presumably because of the "absolutely disgusted" quote & linked Augusta reference ?

https://www.golfwrx.com/674261/absolutely-disgusting-lpga-pro-blasts-augusta-national-for-its-role-in-major-venue-change/

As for more being done to keep the event in Mission Hills, does anybody actually know what the conversations were amongst Chevron, Mission Hills,and the LPGA...I doubt it, so who knows how hard they tried or didn't try to keep it in Cali.

I appreciate Christina for speaking her opinions, nothing wrong with that at all. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 4:30 PM, Lobby said:

P.S.   Christina Kim is correct. 

Augusta National knew full well that holding their ANWA event the week of the Dinah Shore would hurt the LPGA.   Yet they went ahead.

Why now the ANWA the week AFTER the Masters instead?

Because if you look at the calendar the members effectively lose use of the golf course for several more days that way?  And they have the expense of keeping the course in tournament condition for those extra days?  The ANWA isn't the Women's Masters, it's a much smaller-scope event.  Smaller field, only one round (plus a practice round) at ANGC.  By running it (and the kid's event) the way they do it keeps the schedule about as compact as possible without impacting the Masters calendar.

Honestly I think the 'ANGC is hurting the LPGA' narrative is overblown.  The choice between playing the Dinah or the ANWA only impacted a handful of players and zero pros.  In exchange, a number of women get to play a competitive round at Augusta.  Women's amateur golf gets TV exposure.  And -- this being solely my opinion -- I think the success of the ANWA is showing the people that run ANGC that women's golf can be good business and just maybe it will nudge them further along in the direction of a true Women's Masters.  (Which would probably nuke the ANWA, but that's neither here nor there).  There are plenty of reasons to dislike the ANGC but the fact of the matter is that they have the resources and clout to change the golf world and lately they've been showing an inclination to lead instead of just lag behind when it comes to the women's game.

Why not reschedule the Dinah?  It's not like the LPGA schedule is cast in concrete.  Sure there wasn't time to reschedule the 2019 DInah, but that's only one year.  Again just my opinion, but the Dinah moved because of money and almost entirely because of money.  Chevron was willing to commit enough to be able to dictate a lot of terms and if that includes changing the venue, the people that run the LPGA made a business decision.  I can't say that I blame them -- I really enjoyed the Dinah but millions of additional dollars for the players is a pretty compelling tradeoff.

But like they say, reasonable people can disagree.  

Edited by postfold
added mention of practice round, fixed error
  • Like 3

On 4/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, Lobby said:

Augusta National knew full well that holding their ANWA event the week of the Dinah Shore would hurt the LPGA.   Yet they went ahead.

I'll give Christina Kim the benefit of the doubt and say the next thing she is correct about will be the second time she was correct about something. But her take on Augusta wasn't the first time by any stretch of the imagination. 

On 4/21/2022 at 4:30 PM, Lobby said:

probably because a bunch of members take people out after the masters tournament.