Lesson today - I don't think pro gets my desire to play a nostalgic style of golf.

This is a major reason why I haven't seeked out lessons yet. 

I play well enough guitar to make it into bands and play an American roots style based on the 50s and 60s and I wouldn't have taken lessons from a Jazz guitarist to get there.  But I started doing this at the age of 10.  I sometimes wish I had picked up golf back then and could have built a style of my own by now.

I certainly don't have that confidence when it comes to "old school golf" or just golf in general.  But I understand working on something and dedicating time towards it can yield positive results.

At 40 I'm certainly middle aged but youngish to have a desire to play "old school."   Heck, most people in their 50s and 60s think I'm nuts to play old blades and carry a half set around.

However, I have only been playing for 2 years and pretty much everything I have learned has been through Ben Hogan and Julius Boros books.  Sure my dad taught me to swing back in junior high but that probably hasn't stuck with me.  I've had some great outings with hickory players who understand the concept of what I'm trying to do.  I think seeking someone out with that background may be the best option.

Let us know if you continue with the instructor.  I'm curious how that works out.  What is fun for you?

• Like 4

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

22 hours ago, grooveolator said:

I've recently resumed playing after a 20 year layoff, and I took a lesson with a new pro today. (I'm almost 100% certain that my teacher from the 90s, THE Roger Dunn, is no longer with us.)

This teacher seems to understand the swing, and definitely had me hitting the ball farther and higher, but I don't think he appreciates my desire to use "old school" (his words) clubs, or to play with a minimal set and use creative shotmaking. Only the first lesson with him, and I will definitely work on incorporating the swing modifications he had me trying, but it would be great to find a teacher more attuned to the type of game I want to play.

Interesting issue. To try and put it from the pro's perspective, if I were teaching golf, I suppose I would want my pupil to score the best he can, as that would show my teaching is showing results. If my pupil insisted on playing old clubs, which are harder to play*, it would throw a spanner into the works. 

However, I am sure there are good pros out there who understand that for some of us amateurs, there's more to golf than just the lowest score possible.

Perhaps try explaining that it's not just about the score but how you get there that makes golf fun for you?

*Honestly, for me, the driver and the long irons are the hardest thing about classic golf. The driver has gone from being the hardest club to hit to the easiest, and a hybrid is a lot easier to hit than a blade 3i.

• Like 2

I find many pros I know, becasue I was a HS golf coach for 10 years I got to know a lot of the prose in the surrounding area, are all talking heads who follow and have no consideration for anythnig other than their thoughts on the game which usually is the best new equipment, "your loosing strokes using old clubs" which is nonsense, I play better usually with vintage stuff because you can control it. It is also fun. Not everybody want to look the part of a golfer and have a $3000 bag of clubs. They are just conditioned that way thats why too many of them only teach one swing becasue that is what they know, they dont have any thought in what is the best swing for you, only This is what I teach.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Divot License said:

I have this discussion often at our club with our pro and several other players. 

So one of my good golf friends is a 2 handicap and we often have lessons one after he other (easy way to organize a drink or a game afterwards) during his lessons it has a very "modern" vibe to the instruction. While my lessons have a much more "old School" vibe to the instruction. 

When asked about this the pro tells my friend "You've been playing 10 years so have learnt to play with modern clubs and balls and that has influenced how to swing and your tendencies. Matt learnt to play in the 90's on the original steal drivers and wound balata balls. That has influenced how he plays the game and I'm not going to completely destroy that motion just to bring him inline with the current instruction fads." 

A good swing is a good swing with whatever clubs you play. I play 6 or 7 sets of clubs all different eras and shapes and my swing stays the same and score the same with all equipment, I am about a 5 handicap

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

I am in total agreement. I play clubs from the hickory era through to modern and as long as I play appropriate yardages for the era, my scores are virtually the same. A good swing is a good swing. To put things in perspective, my hickory handicap (14.3) is 4 points higher than my modern handicap. The difference is almost exclusively due to the rating and slope of the tees used.

In our historical play group, many players have found that playing hickory is one of the best swing trainers there is. You also focus more on course management and develop a variety of effective shots that translate well to the modern game as well. Classic era clubs also help you develop good swing habits too.

Back to the OPs question. Find an instructor that appreciates your goals and objectives, not theirs.

totally agree, I dont play hickory, I would snap them first hole I have a feeling , I m big and steep, but the vintage I play 50-60make you swing smooth and makes you think about yardage and trajectory. and especialy the lie, i chip better with the older softer wedges , dont try to get cute around the greens, probably saves a stroke a round at least 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wham49 said:

totally agree, I dont play hickory, I would snap them first hole I have a feeling , I m big and steep, but the vintage I play 50-60make you swing smooth and makes you think about yardage and trajectory. and especialy the lie, i chip better with the older softer wedges , dont try to get cute around the greens, probably saves a stroke a round at least 

I also play classic clubs and my feeling is the same as yours. Incidentally, you would not snap the hickory clubs on the first hole. It is a myth, clubs that have been restored for play rarely break. I have taken out pros and very good amateurs and rarely a problem. You can buy frequency matched hickory shafts if you do break one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

I also play classic clubs and my feeling is the same as yours. Incidentally, you would not snap the hickory clubs on the first hole. It is a myth, clubs that have been restored for play rarely break. I have taken out pros and very good amateurs and rarely a problem. You can buy frequency matched hickory shafts if you do break one.

cool thanks, will look for a set

On 3/30/2022 at 9:53 AM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

This is a major reason why I haven't seeked out lessons yet. 

I play well enough guitar to make it into bands and play an American roots style based on the 50s and 60s and I wouldn't have taken lessons from a Jazz guitarist to get there.  But I started doing this at the age of 10.  I sometimes wish I had picked up golf back then and could have built a style of my own by now.

I certainly don't have that confidence when it comes to "old school golf" or just golf in general.  But I understand working on something and dedicating time towards it can yield positive results.

At 40 I'm certainly middle aged but youngish to have a desire to play "old school."   Heck, most people in their 50s and 60s think I'm nuts to play old blades and carry a half set around.

However, I have only been playing for 2 years and pretty much everything I have learned has been through Ben Hogan and Julius Boros books.  Sure my dad taught me to swing back in junior high but that probably hasn't stuck with me.  I've had some great outings with hickory players who understand the concept of what I'm trying to do.  I think seeking someone out with that background may be the best option.

Let us know if you continue with the instructor.  I'm curious how that works out.  What is fun for you?

Very cool, CWEG! I am also a guitarist, pro for 50 years, I'm 69 now and definitely middle aged! 😂🤣
After being a "high-demand user" as my hand surgeon put it, I now have some tendonitis issues in my hand, and resuming golf isn't helping. I think I am going to go with a bit larger grips, and of course lots of ice after golf, practice time, and gigs.

btw, I do think lessons are a good idea. My music studies have been a combination of "street", individual lessons, and studies in more academic settings, and they all have their virtues. And I think the swing adjustments the pro wants me to make are a good suggestion for a good full swing, I just want to learn to improve on other types of shots too.

Edited by grooveolator
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 6:29 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

*Honestly, for me, the driver and the long irons are the hardest thing about classic golf. The driver has gone from being the hardest club to hit to the easiest, and a hybrid is a lot easier to hit than a blade 3i.

When during my 20 year layoff, and how, did the driver become the easiest club to hit? When I was playing in the 90s the conventional wisdom was for higher handicappers to avoid it and tee off with a 2 or 3 wood, which is what I used to do.

Is it in the shafts, or in the clubhead that is so large that I would tend to convert it to a guest house? I suspect the latter. However I can't stand looking at modern clubs.

8 hours ago, grooveolator said:

Perhaps the best idea. Kind of like car mechanics and especially body work - with the modern cars everything is remove-and-replace young guys don't know how to shrink metal and straighten panels.

The most important thing in an instructor are that they are open minded and listen to what the students objectives are. If they are one dimensional in their teaching, find someone else. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grooveolator said:

When during my 20 year layoff, and how, did the driver become the easiest club to hit? When I was playing in the 90s the conventional wisdom was for higher handicappers to avoid it and tee off with a 2 or 3 wood, which is what I used to do.

Is it in the shafts, or in the clubhead that is so large that I would tend to convert it to a guest house? I suspect the latter. However I can't stand looking at modern clubs.

Large clubhead. Teeing the ball up higher to accommodate the large head also makes the player less likely to hit fat. 

I also remember the advice about using a 3-wood instead of driver off the tee. It was very common to read that in golf magazines back in the Eighties and Nineties, but now it's completely the opposite. 

I love playing persimmon/blades golf, and I do enjoy the challenge of trying to hit the driver and long irons, but I have to acknowledge that the modern driver is easier to get in the air than an old wooden driver, and a 20~24 degree hybrid is a lot easier to hit than a blade long iron of similar loft.

Otherwise, there's not much difference for me. The short and medium irons are the same, a good wedge is a good wedge no matter when it was made, and if anything, I get on slightly better hitting the smaller persimmon fairway woods off the turf than with my modern stuff.

• Like 3

If, and it's a big 'if', you can find a teacher who can relate that's the way to go. Good luck, none around our way.

I steer clear of any teacher who relies exclusively on hitting balls off a synthetic surface with all the Metaverse Golf 'studio' techno B/S as back up. Sole purpose of teaching golf is to make you dependant on the teacher and sell product. Unless you're a pony and then you're advertising material.

Golf is simple but hard to do well. Hard work on grass, and application are the best tutors.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I’m late to this party, but I do have a thought for the OP. My teacher also doesn’t seem to “appreciate” my interest in playing whatever kind of golf I’m playing at the moment (hickory, classic, modern) but frankly I don’t care. It doesn’t matter to me in the slightest what he thinks about my clubs. He is really good at what he does, I’ve been taking lessons from him for twenty years. His teaching really gets me on track when my swing has gone off the rails (which happens to all of us from time to time). I don’t believe that somehow I need to swing differently if I have a mashie in my hands instead of a 7 iron. It’s a false narrative that somehow you have to sweep a vintage iron or pick it off the turf with a niblick. That is a recipe for disaster. Your swing is your swing regardless of equipment choices. You seem to indicate his advice helped you hit shots “higher and farther”. That’s great. He’s doing his job. Lots of people don’t feel that way after lessons. They feel frustrated and discouraged. You didn’t, but instead, improved. He did what he was hired to do. Unless you simply want him to cheer on your style of play, or approve of it somehow, I’d stick with him.

• Like 2

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

• 1 month later...

I guess I've been lucky...getting back into golf a couple of decades ago, I took advantage of adult education class in Golf. The Pro had to take into account each individual golfer, and all ages (well, it was "adult" so most of us were over 50) & sexes...he didn't push his personal style on anyone, he taught to the individuals "style"....learned alot - practice, practice, practice....
A few years later, after a "Chip & Putt" par 3 course opened up & the "youngsters" who were both PGA & LPGA card holders, taught...I learned even more (practice, practice, practice). The sorriest day I had was when I learned that they were going to close the par 3 & go into real estate....
I would run, very fast, from any "you're doing it wrong" Pro...been luck in the Pro who asks "Have you tried this?", "yeah, now how does that feel", that Pro, I'd listen to & learn from 

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2022 at 8:03 AM, Kirasdad said:

I’m late to this party, but I do have a thought for the OP. My teacher also doesn’t seem to “appreciate” my interest in playing whatever kind of golf I’m playing at the moment (hickory, classic, modern) but frankly I don’t care. It doesn’t matter to me in the slightest what he thinks about my clubs. He is really good at what he does, I’ve been taking lessons from him for twenty years. His teaching really gets me on track when my swing has gone off the rails (which happens to all of us from time to time). I don’t believe that somehow I need to swing differently if I have a mashie in my hands instead of a 7 iron. It’s a false narrative that somehow you have to sweep a vintage iron or pick it off the turf with a niblick. That is a recipe for disaster. Your swing is your swing regardless of equipment choices. You seem to indicate his advice helped you hit shots “higher and farther”. That’s great. He’s doing his job. Lots of people don’t feel that way after lessons. They feel frustrated and discouraged. You didn’t, but instead, improved. He did what he was hired to do. Unless you simply want him to cheer on your style of play, or approve of it somehow, I’d stick with him.

I feel the same way. I’m still with my old pro, who thaught me from ‘90 onwards. He thinks i’m nuts for playing persimmon (and the irons i bought from him in ‘91/‘92), but he knows my swing and how to teach me (what instructions work and what doesn’t). 

Modern clubs have been engineered so that mishits aren't so punishing.  The ball is more likely to travel in the right direction.  Though the exact distance is less certain as a tradeoff.

I play with a half set of modern clubs and adjust my swing to be pin high.  I play on a hilly course that rarely presents a flat lie.  Constant adjustments are needed to hit the green with an approach shot.

It is a lot of fun to be able to walk the course with a small light Sunday bag.  Pace of play can be very quick if I'm making my shots.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1