Houston Country Clubs

Golfhawk25

Anyone have opinions on the following country clubs, including how easy it is to get a tee time as a member and opinion on the course and value:

Sugar Creek Country Club

Riverbend Country Club

Pine Forest Country Club

Braeburn Country Club

North gate Country Club

Edited by Golfhawk25

I was a member at Riverbend for 5.5 years and still play there at least once a month.  Depending on what part of town you live in, its accessible via 59, 90 in about 15-20 mins.  I live near Meyerland it would take me 15 mins.  RBCC has seen a recent increase in pricing and there may be on waitlist for Junior Members.  The course is fantastic, its a golf club with country club amenities.  The locker room is awesome.

Braeburn recently did a renovation, have not played, its an old money country club, but course is always in good shape.  Also cost a boatload of money to join, $50k for equity.

Sugar Creek has 3 9 hole course, greens are fast and have recently remodel practice area and amenities.  One of the 9s is pretty boring, but does give options.

Any questions, feel free to hit me up.

• Golfhawk25 changed the title to Houston Country Clubs
On 4/1/2022 at 4:25 PM, jflores8 said:

I was a member at Riverbend for 5.5 years and still play there at least once a month.  Depending on what part of town you live in, its accessible via 59, 90 in about 15-20 mins.  I live near Meyerland it would take me 15 mins.  RBCC has seen a recent increase in pricing and there may be on waitlist for Junior Members.  The course is fantastic, its a golf club with country club amenities.  The locker room is awesome.

Braeburn recently did a renovation, have not played, its an old money country club, but course is always in good shape.  Also cost a boatload of money to join, $50k for equity.

Sugar Creek has 3 9 hole course, greens are fast and have recently remodel practice area and amenities.  One of the 9s is pretty boring, but does give options.

Any questions, feel free to hit me up.

How easy was it to get a tee time on the weekends at Riverbend and any idea if they have an active group under the age of 35 there? Also, what is their practice facility like? Thanks

Recently talked to most of these clubs about memberships...

Sugar Creek and Pine Forest are going to run you about 30% of the cost of full membership initiation compared to Braeburn (around 15k vs 45k). Braeburn also has a waitlist until likely Q2 of this year (at least that's what they anticipated when they replied to my inquiry). If you're 35 or under like me and don't care about voting rights or board membership, both are closer to 50% of the cost of Braeburn (around 5k vs. 10k). Their project savings fund is also a little over 2x the cost of both each month. Based off of your most recent reply, this seems pretty relevant. 🙂

Ultimately, we toured Sugar Creek and found it to be best for our needs and location. Pine Forest is 20 minutes north of Sugar Creek if no traffic on Beltway 8, but we are hoping to move further south in the future as we currently live right in between both locations. We're happy with it so far. The facilities are nice with a dual sided driving range, chipping/bunker practice area, and recently renovated putting green (I think the chipping area was also renovated...they've done a ton of upgrades the past couple years). Pine Forest charges members $10 bucks per bucket which seems a bit insane to me when already paying initiation and dues. SCCC is fully included. Locker rental and bag storage (if you want them) are also a couple bucks more per month at Pine Forest. Guest rates are slightly better at PFCC ($80/$100 weekday/weekend compared to $100 all week). They also have family rates that SCCC doesn't offer. Tee times appear to be fairly easy to get for Saturday and Sunday and I've checked the site in the full lead up to the weekend and have noticed that there are usually still a few slots available for Saturday on Friday afternoon and Sunday on Saturday afternoon (granted we're only at the start of busy season).

I can't speak to River Bend because they didn't even reply to my request for info. I can say based off the pictures on their website that they have a better locker room than Sugar Creek does, but SCCC is doing a full gut job renovation on theirs later this year so who knows how it'll look come early 2023. 

Can't speak to Northgate at all. It's the opposite direction of where we're hoping to live in the next 2-5 years and wouldn't have worked as an option so I didn't even reach out.

The clubs you listed are kind of all over the west side of town. Not sure if distance to destination matters, but I will say it's tough to get to SW Houston during rush hour even on the tollway. Looking in the opposite direction it doesn't seem much easier to get NW. May make sense to narrow them to a top 2 and then make sure the drive won't effect how you look at the club on weekdays. 

Edited by csmithvt
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, csmithvt said:

Recently talked to most of these clubs about memberships...

Sugar Creek and Pine Forest are going to run you about 30% of the cost of full membership initiation compared to Braeburn (around 15k vs 45k). Braeburn also has a waitlist until likely Q2 of this year (at least that's what they anticipated when they replied to my inquiry). If you're 35 or under like me and don't care about voting rights or board membership, both are closer to 50% of the cost of Braeburn (around 5k vs. 10k). Their project savings fund is also a little over 2x the cost of both each month. Based off of your most recent reply, this seems pretty relevant. 🙂

Ultimately, we toured Sugar Creek and found it to be best for our needs and location. Pine Forest is 20 minutes north of Sugar Creek if no traffic on Beltway 8, but we are hoping to move further south in the future as we currently live right in between both locations. We're happy with it so far. The facilities are nice with a dual sided driving range, chipping/bunker practice area, and recently renovated putting green (I think the chipping area was also renovated...they've done a ton of upgrades the past couple years). Pine Forest charges members $10 bucks per bucket which seems a bit insane to me when already paying initiation and dues. SCCC is fully included. Locker rental and bag storage (if you want them) are also a couple bucks more per month at Pine Forest. Guest rates are slightly better at PFCC ($80/$100 weekday/weekend compared to $100 all week). They also have family rates that SCCC doesn't offer. Tee times appear to be fairly easy to get for Saturday and Sunday and I've checked the site in the full lead up to the weekend and have noticed that there are usually still a few slots available for Saturday on Friday afternoon and Sunday on Saturday afternoon (granted we're only at the start of busy season).

I can't speak to River Bend because they didn't even reply to my request for info. I can say based off the pictures on their website that they have a better locker room than Sugar Creek does, but SCCC is doing a full gut job renovation on theirs later this year so who knows how it'll look come early 2023. 

Can't speak to Northgate at all. It's the opposite direction of where we're hoping to live in the next 2-5 years and wouldn't have worked as an option so I didn't even reach out.

The clubs you listed are kind of all over the west side of town. Not sure if distance to destination matters, but I will say it's tough to get to SW Houston during rush hour even on the tollway. Looking in the opposite direction it doesn't seem much easier to get NW. May make sense to narrow them to a top 2 and then make sure the drive won't effect how you look at the club on weekdays. 

Really appreciate all that information. I’ve gotten a reply from all clubs on cost except Pine Forest. I live downtown so all are about the same drive on the weekends, although Pine Forest is the most convenient from my work. Going to have to get out and tour a few.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a member at Northgate up until last year when we moved to the hill country.  It is quiet a bit further north than the other courses you are asking about.  Value wise I think it is very good.  The initiation fee was around $500 and the monthly dues were around $450 all in including carts and range.  You also get to play at the sister course Walden on Lake Conroe.

The course conditions were getting better when we left and I think they are continuing to make it better.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2022 at 3:31 PM, txeconomist said:

Id join the club you live closest to. I was very hesitant to join bbcc because I thought I wanted to join champions but in hindsight very glad I joined bbcc. One of the best decisions I’ve made. I live in Bellaire so it’s only like 10 minutes from the house. The membership at bbcc is spectacular, zero problems getting a game. 

(Humblebrag) I also have a membership at Whispering Pines so feel like I have the best of both worlds. The closest course to me and among the best in the state.

Really considered Champions but like you, it's just too far.

Unfortunately Braeburn takes me upwards of 30 minutes on weekdays as well, worse in the afternoon/rush hour. Pretty much takes any weekday play off the table. Stupid Houston traffic. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the mix for a job that would be up near The Woodlands. 

Anyone have a sense of initiation fees, etc., for good spots on the north side?

Champions feels like it would be the best fit as I have been there a few times and know a guy there, but curious on what the group thinks. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

I have played all the clubs above and I'm a member at Braeburn (BB).  Post renovation, I would argue BB is in the best shape of any club in Houston (although I have not played Lochinvar).  One of my pet peeves is houselined golf courses, so Sugar Creek and Northgate don't appeal to me personally.  I honestly do think Riverbend is the best deal in Houston as a pure golf course and great lockeroom -- the other amenities are not fantastic. Pine Forrest (PFCC) isn't bad if you live in that part of town.  Not a huge fan of the planes, but that really isn't a huge deal. I believe they are beginning a renovation, so that makes it either a good time to get in or a bad one depending.

Regardless, I believe BB is a bit different than the other clubs listed as it is between $35-40k more expensive than the other clubs to get in to and there is a waitlist of about 6-9 months depending.  I was told PFCC had a waitlist, but a friend recently inquired and was told he could get in now, so I am not sure.  Regardless, PFCC is also a very good deal depending on where you live.  Riverbend is also a great deal if you live near Sugarland, and if you do and you are looking strictly for golf, that would be my recommendation.  However, if you are looking for a family club, BB and PFCC would be the way to go (depending on where you live).  I have a friend at Royal Oaks and believe they have some deals to be had (if you live on the west side), although their monthlies are higher than average.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2022 at 9:24 AM, markshark62 said:

Pine Forrest (PFCC) isn't bad if you live in that part of town.  Not a huge fan of the planes, but that really isn't a huge deal. I believe they are beginning a renovation, so that makes it either a good time to get in or a bad one depending.

Can confirm that PFCC is doing renovations either late this year (off season) or start of next year. My understanding is bunkers and green upgrades? Can't 100% remember what I was told. Hard to say if that'll cause them to lower their initiation temporarily...probably not since it seems most courses are gaining more than they're losing right now.

They have 27 holes so I assume at most you'll just have a little more crowding than normal while they work.

Was a long time member at RBCC, for the pricing its one of the best deals in town, like most things pricing I am sure has gone up some.  Golf course is really good and locker room is great too.  All the amenities are ok, I live near meyerland so would never really go for dinner and family events.  The pool is ok at best.

I have not played Braeburn post remodel but have heard some really good things, but also comes with a hefty price tag.

On 6/8/2022 at 3:31 PM, txeconomist said:

I am a member at Braeburn and used to be a member at Riverbend. When Braeburn was shut down for renovations I played at sugar creek a lot. IMO Braeburn is a significantly nicer club than the other two above but it’s also a lot more expensive. Post renovation BBCC is in spectacular shape and honestly bet it’s in as good condition as anything else in the city except maybe Lochinvar. The new course has the same routing as the old course but everything is enhanced and more difficult. The back 9 is awesome and really fun to play.

Id join the club you live closest to. I was very hesitant to join bbcc because I thought I wanted to join champions but in hindsight very glad I joined bbcc. One of the best decisions I’ve made. I live in Bellaire so it’s only like 10 minutes from the house. The membership at bbcc is spectacular, zero problems getting a game. 

(Humblebrag) I also have a membership at Whispering Pines so feel like I have the best of both worlds. The closest course to me and among the best in the state.

If ever need one at either place, I am here :).

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, oneunderbogey said:

Anyone know anything about Golfcrest and Galveston CC these days

I live 5 minutes from Golfcrest and was a member there for 5 years. Right now for the full stock membership it is $10,000 initiation fee and then $625 base a month including cart fee but nothing else. There is also a 2.5 year waiting list but I've heard you can get on right away paying in full up front.

I know they offer a couple of other membership packages but not quite sure what they are. I also understand they did away with their Junior Memberships.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

• 4 months later...
On 6/18/2022 at 6:58 PM, jshel said:

In the mix for a job that would be up near The Woodlands. 

Anyone have a sense of initiation fees, etc., for good spots on the north side?

Champions feels like it would be the best fit as I have been there a few times and know a guy there, but curious on what the group thinks. 

I joined Willow Creek in Spring in August of 2022.  Initiation was $2,500 and dues are going up to $490/month.  You can also add their ClubLife program giving you access to their sister clubs throughout town.  it is convenient to my house but the pace of play leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.  And for that reason I am considering dropping out and checking into Northgate.  It is a little further for me but has more amenities.  I looked at The Woodlands CC prior to joining Willow Creek.  There is a waiting list for the top tier membership which gives you access to all of their courses in The Woodlands.  The lower tier membership gives you access to TWCC and the two courses at the resort.  Initiation fee is pretty healthy and non-negotiable.  Dues are over $700 plus cart fee.      

• 4 months later...

Hey all, I’ve been reading this thread with a lot of interest as finally getting back into golfing after a big hiatus. Not many of my friends play and so joining a club seems a great option. 

Proximity is key and I live pretty close to Meyerland / Bellaire and so looking at BBCC and RBCC. I have toured both and played RB on Thursday and it was great fun. 

I’m leaning BB still as it’s slightly closer but an 8 months waitlist. I guess I could join RB and play that while waiting but it’s still a decent chunk of change and not sure I’d like two monthlys! I also have 3 colleagues at BBCC so getting the 4 referrals should be ok. Waitlist you still pay and can play tues - thurs, not exactly convenient! 

I guess my question/ advice I’m after is do I go for BB and wait? Or do RB and just go back to BB when I’m in a groove? First time joining a club so thanks for any advice! 

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, JimH said:

Ended up joining Braeburn and really enjoying it so far. If there are any members on here let me know! 

Just make sure you’re packing heat going to and from that area.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 12:50 PM, JimH said:

Ended up joining Braeburn and really enjoying it so far. If there are any members on here let me know! 

Was a member at RBCC for 5.5 years and its a great golf course, still play on average once a month.  Played Braeburn a few times prior to the renovation and have not played it since.

If needing a playing partner one day at Braeburn, hit me up, I expect to pay my way on. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I’d add Westwood to the list…

Ping G430 Max w/HZRDUS Black 6.5

Srixon Zx Utility 3 Iron w/TourAD Di 95x

Callaway Apex MB 18 7-P w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Callaway Apex TCB 6 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Sub 70 685 CB 4 & 5 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Vokey SM9 50,54,58 w/S400TI

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Full Face 65 w/S400TI

LAB Golf Link.1

GFore Daytona Golf Bag 

If money isn't a consideration, and you live inside the Loop or around Hunters Creek or Bunker Hill. What's the absolute best pure golf facilities in everyone's view? 

I only care about consistent course condition, layout (having a true Champion length ~7200 yards give, or take is a huge plus in my book) and the practice facilities: dedicated putting & chipping greens, greenside bunkers etc. I honestly don't care about the "social club" aspect, it's the quality of the golf course and most importantly for me the practice facilities. My favorite thing to do after work is go out to that back area behind the (always roped off which is lame) bunker at Memorial Park and practice up & downs for 2 hours. I'm going to be living in Houston for a long time with my career, so if there's a wait, I'll just deal with it. But I haven't gotten a chance (or tried networking) to get on some of the top tier private clubs in the area. Wondering where I should focus my efforts.