Ranking DFW courses

Texaslefty1

Don't know about ranking them...
Waterchase - Played Saturday and Sunday.  Best public greens I've played.  Fairways are always pretty good (not quite as nice as TV - see below).  Bunkers could use some love.  Great layout.  I call WC my home course.  Word is a clubhouse is finally going to go in where the big tent sits above the 9th/18th greens right now.  
Tierra Verde - Played last weekend.  Probably the best public fairways when the grass is grown in.  Carpets.  The greens are always soft and slow - a little too slow for me.  Some bunkers are good and some are dirt.  Nice layout.
Lake Arlington - Played there Friday.  Unexpectedly good greens.  Otherwise it is your run of the mill cheap muni.
Rangers - Have not played since December.  I love the course.  Some don't.  Still a young course.  Greens can be firm.  If they ran any faster rounds would take 5+ hours to play.  Some greens seem like the ghost of Donald Ross set them up.
Tangle Ridge - Love the layout.  Seems like rounds out there take forever now.  Good greens.  Good fairways.  Minimal bunkers.
Bridlewood - I love this golf course, but not for the $$$ they are getting per round now.  Great greens.  Great fairways. Great bunkers.  I just can get a better value for my golfing cash elsewhere.

Cowboys - Always nice.  Way overpriced.  I do enjoy the course, but will only play on a discount.
Grapevine - Can't get a tee time unless you are in the boys club up there so I haven't been since Covid started in 2020.  Heard they lost a few greens over the winter.

One course I always forget about, but would probably be my favorite Tarrant County course if they would ever spend the money to do it justice is the Meadowbrook Course in east Fort Worth.  Dangerous area now, but that layout is to die for.  I played out there last summer and the conditions were pretty bad.

I get play a couple of privates fairly regularly with friends as well, but won't list my thoughts on them here.

Edited by Maroon_19
Meadowbrook

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

17 hours ago, Maroon_19 said:

Waterchase - Played Saturday and Sunday.  Best public greens I've played.  Fairways are always pretty good (not quite as nice as TV - see below).  Bunkers could use some love.  Great layout.  I call WC my home course.  Word is a clubhouse is finally going to go in where the big tent sits above the 9th/18th greens right now.  
Tierra Verde - Played last weekend.  Probably the best public fairways when the grass is grown in.  Carpets.  The greens are always soft and slow - a little too slow for me.  Some bunkers are good and some are dirt.  Nice layout.
Lake Arlington - Played there Friday.  Unexpectedly good greens.  Otherwise it is your run of the mill cheap muni.
Rangers - Have not played since December.  I love the course.  Some don't.  Still a young course.  Greens can be firm.  If they ran any faster rounds would take 5+ hours to play.  Some greens seem like the ghost of Donald Ross set them up.
Tangle Ridge - Love the layout.  Seems like rounds out there take forever now.  Good greens.  Good fairways.  Minimal bunkers.
Bridlewood - I love this golf course, but not for the $$$ they are getting per round now.  Great greens.  Great fairways. Great bunkers.  I just can get a better value for my golfing cash elsewhere.

Cowboys - Always nice.  Way overpriced.  I do enjoy the course, but will only play on a discount.
Grapevine - Can't get a tee time unless you are in the boys club up there so I haven't been since Covid started in 2020.  Heard they lost a few greens over the winter.

One course I always forget about, but would probably be my favorite Tarrant County course if they would ever spend the money to do it justice is the Meadowbrook Course in east Fort Worth.  Dangerous area now, but that layout is to die for.  I played out there last summer and the conditions were pretty bad.

I get play a couple of privates fairly regularly with friends as well, but won't list my thoughts on them here.

I  will add a couple:

Heritage Ranch- in a retirement community so the course is pretty open but always in good shape and the greens are good

Mesquite muni-greens are as good as Waterchase and a good layout.  It is a muni so some rough spots off the FW but overall a great value at $40

Cedar Crest- This course just has my number and can never score well here.  Super fun old school layout and the greens can get quick!

Stephens Park-The same fun layout at Cedar Crest but not as hard in my opinion.   Hard to get a early tee time unless you know someone.

Tenison Park-Another great muni and i really enjoy the back 9.  

Buffalo Creek-My old home course growing up.  It was repurchased by the original owners maybe 2 years ago and they are pouring money back into it.  Last couple times i have played it it has been in great shape.

The Tribute/Old American-Semi private so only afternoon tee times on the weekends.  Both courses are great with OA getting the nod but can't go wrong with either.

Frisco Lakes- Another retirement course but they are under the same ownership as Bridlewood now.  Conditions were good last weekend.

The Bridges-This course can play long but it super wide open.  They had some grass issues last year in the FW but hear that is fixed.  Greens are usually spot on.  Just hate number 18 though.  

• Like 1

Man, this brings back memories.

When I lived in Dallas, we had a weekly group of 10-15 that would play all over.

We played Waterchase the weekend it opened, and the regular rotation was:

• Chester Ditto (the course they destroyed to make Texas Rangers GC) (at one time I lived a block away from this course)
  • Mansfield National
  • Tangle Ridge
  • Texas Star
  • Tennison Park
  • Old Brickyard (Ferris)
  • Meadowbrook GC (Ft. Worth)
  • Country View (Red Oak)
  • Indian Creek
  • Sunset GC
  • Iron Horse
  • Grapevine Municipal
  • Riverside
  • Stephens Park

...and many I can't remember.

Edited by High Plains Driver

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

21 hours ago, Maroon_19 said:

Meadowbrook in Ft. Worth is one of my favorites in the area in terms of layouts go.  I never play well there, but it's a fun track with the shots you have to hit off the tee.  Conditions weren't too bad last time I played out there a few months ago.

Indian Creek is one that I play quite a bit.  Course has been in great shape all year.  They do a good job during the extreme weather changes of taking care of the greens so they don't lose them.  

Luna Vista is in pretty good shape.  Some of their greens that they lost last year due to the freeze are now looking pretty good.  Still a few touchy spots, but nothing terrible in my opinion.  

I practice out at Bridlewood quite a bit.  I love the course, but it's so hard to get a tee time out there, even with their range membership, and I'm not going to have my friends pay their green fees when I'm only paying for a cart after a certain time.  

Irving Golf Club is in really good shape right now.  The greens are rolling really nice.  The greens are Prairie Lakes are rolling nicely as well.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Most of the public courses I have played are for the most part in the northern part of the metroplex and mostly on the Dallas side.

My 3 favorites are Bridlewood, Frisco Lakes, and Heritage Ranch. 

Pecan Hollow is a little behind those 3. 

Cowboys, Watters Creek, and The Bridges are just okay. 

Haven't played Buffalo Creek since the redo but sounds like I would like to. 

Haven't played them in awhile but Westridge and Twin Creeks are no go's based on the last time I played them.