BEST IRONS 2022: Discussion Thread

A new set of irons is the single biggest investment you can make into your set of golf clubs. At GolfWRX, to determine the 2022 best irons and their categories, we have compiled an expert panel of fitters to help you find out which of 2022 irons is best for your game.

OEMs have again continued to push the engineering envelope of iron design by utilizing new technology and manufacturing methods to create clubs that offer forgiveness, along with faster, more consistent club faces and launch windows. We are also seeing more segmentation of models to help you determine your best set and/or set combination.

Ultimately the best way to find your personal iron set is to work with a professional fitter using a launch monitor. The difficult part is a lot of people don’t have easy access to fitters, launch monitors, and club builders—so at GolfWRX, we have done a lot of the work for you.

We are in the era of not just maximizing distance but also minimizing the penalty of common misses for each player—this applies to irons just as much as it does with any other club in the bag. This is why, now more than ever, custom fitting is essential to help you see results on every swing you make.

Check out our front page features all Irons Week long via the links below and add your comments in this thread!

Edited by GolfWRX

Easiest to launch:  The Titleist T400.  Ever feel the need to hit a PW over 140 yards with an apex of over 100 feet, well here you go.

Best for pure enjoyment:  The TaylorMade 2021 P790.  Great iron to play with.  Looks great, plays great and has enough distance built into them.  It is also possible to draw and fade the ball with them.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

2 hours ago, Orange Hog said:

I know it's a niche brand but how is Sub70 not in either of these lists?  They have a broad assortment that fits into pretty much every category.

Agree. I bought p790s a couple years ago before I knew about the 699 pros. Haven't hit on the course but they seem every bit as good as the p790s on a simulator for half the price.

Edited by poryanop
  • Like 2

I think it might be better if "all" voted data are released instead of just releasing top 5.
I understand that Big 4 are more likely to land on top 5 because they are the mainstream brand which would be fitted often.

However, if we can have all data (100 votes per category if 20 fitters all vote 5 irons per category), we can at least see which (relatively) minor brands "at least" have been voted, so we can also look into those clubs, although they might have difficulties of landing on top 5.
I think the fitters who voted would also be interested in what other fitters have voted as well, so they can also fit those to new customers too...

• Like 1

I got the 2021 P790’s a few months ago and in my mind they certainly belong on the list. I’ve found them incredibly easy to hit, launch high, and are long but still controllable. As far as pure enjoyment I can’t ask for a whole lot more.

In reference to the knocks on the major oems being the majority of these lists... I agree that a lot of the smaller and direct to consumer brands make great products and have loyal followings. But wouldn’t it make sense that the largest companies (that have the most R+D dollars and access to the latest advances) would probably make at least some of the best stuff? And availability i’m sure factors in to some extent. I’ve been playing for 25 years and I’ve never seen a new set of Miuras on a shelf anywhere, so if these fitters aren’t getting any sample size to compare vs the major oems, the results will almost have to skewed. 

Think we can all agree there are lots of great options out there including plenty not on these lists!!

• Like 3

love my hogan's. but i've only played eye 2's and a set of bob toski t-somethings... so not really a expert. 

• Like 4

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

5 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

I got the 2021 P790’s a few months ago and in my mind they certainly belong on the list. I’ve found them incredibly easy to hit, launch high, and are long but still controllable. As far as pure enjoyment I can’t ask for a whole lot more.

In reference to the knocks on the major oems being the majority of these lists... I agree that a lot of the smaller and direct to consumer brands make great products and have loyal followings. But wouldn’t it make sense that the largest companies (that have the most R+D dollars and access to the latest advances) would probably make at least some of the best stuff? And availability i’m sure factors in to some extent. I’ve been playing for 25 years and I’ve never seen a new set of Miuras on a shelf anywhere, so if these fitters aren’t getting any sample size to compare vs the major oems, the results will almost have to skewed. 

Think we can all agree there are lots of great options out there including plenty not on these lists!!

I agree on the p790s. I have the model before this current release. I’d like to update them, but I doubt I could find better.

• Like 1

No matter what company or site reviews irons and does a "best-of", people will always be up in arms and argue that not enough companies were included or not enough data was used or the opposite and too much data was used, GolfWRX is in a tough spot and trying to make something that they feel is accurate. Truth be told, these fitters are not fitting the smaller brands, so there's not much fitting info, and that's hard to battle, I'm sure my opinion will be argued, but hats off to GolfWRX for actually putting this out and taking the heat, no company can be right, but I dont think the people replying here are the market for the list, to me, it is more for the people who are just starting to golf and need to understand what SOME OF the best clubs are for them, doesn't mean it will be correct, but offer a starting point. Remember that we are not always the target, GolfWRX is a company that must cater to many aspects of golf, and that makes making a list of any top product very hard.

• Like 4

Have several sets of irons (Forged 2019 Taylor Made P770's, Forged Srixon ZX5's and a 565/765 Combo set and Cast 2021 PXG 0211's).  Have been very disappointed with the Srixon's in terms of distance and feel.  In part may be due to the KBS shafts which are a p.o.s..  Have twice demo'd 2021 P790's with steel and fibersteel shafts--they SUCK.  Don't understand what the big whoop is all about.  Feel like playing with wooden 2x4's, no feedback from the ball at all.   The older P770's are like butter but are getting outdated and are about  1/2 to a full club shorter than new Titleist.  The  PXG's although cast feel liked forged clubs and are a club longer, launch like rockets and are an amazing direct to consumer internet bargain, but feel a bit "clangy".   Recently demo'd the Titleist T200's and will replace the Srixons with either these or T100s--best compromise in terms of trajectory, distance, club head size, shape --look and feel at address like AP2's which I played long ago,  but much longer!.

• Like 2