BEST IRONS 2022: Discussion Thread

Just think what it would be like without advertising.    The only exposure to new equipment would be:    A walkon guy in your normal group when one cancels out is playing a nice set of irons.   Hey 'Walkon'?    Where'd  you get those irons?    Walkon:   A friend of my brother-in-laws friend who works with this guy had a set, and I like them.   A Normal Group Guy:   Oh, where'd he get them?    Walkon Guy:   Some guy had a set on ebay, he got em from his dad.   Nice irons.   Normal Group Guy:   You got the name of the guy, maybe his email?    I'd like to find out if they're forgiving or not.   Ya know?   What kind of shafts are those?   NEVER seen them before, how they hit?    yada yada yada  😄

I actually enjoy the ideas even though they're geared on advertisement.   JAT

Edited by MrParr1Noid

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

4 hours ago, lekimann said:

Did they put the wrong picture of the P790? They have the old P790s for pure enjoyment irons.

Lol. When I clicked the link to find out more about the Halo irons, the story was the introduction of thr PRIOR model. This whole thing was a sloppy fail.

PING G425 Max 9* (set at 10.5)

CALLAWAY Rogue ST Max D 16*

CLEVELAND Hy-wood 18*

CLEVELAND Launcher XL Halo 21*

CLEVELAND Launcher XL Halo 5-DW

CLEVELAND CBX 54* & 58*

LAB GOLF DF2.1 BGT Stability Tour 34” 65*

34 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Weirdly, this post was more helpful, and spot on, than the entire survey that started this thread. Not saying I agree with everything, but this is the level of in-the-weeds distinctions, the level of nuance, the language, that people here get (and want). 

Contrast "The older P770's are like butter but are getting outdated and are about  1/2 to a full club shorter than new Titleist" (from your post) with this: "The T300 is the hottest and most forgiving Titleist iron ever made. Just like its smaller brother, the T200, it uses the same Max Impact Technology to both add rebound and improve overall feel" (from the article). 

Which sounds like a hard core assessment by a golfer with game, and which sounds like it was literally written by a marketing department? And which of those do the subscribers here believe have credibility?

Well said. I thought the same thing when I read his post…. Got more out of it than the article.

Edited by john myrbch
  • Like 1

CLEVELAND Hy-wood 18*

CLEVELAND CBX 54* & 58*

I could not be more happy with New Level.  Have a set of 902s and just ordered their new spn wedges.  It was custom built in 2 days.  Can’t wait for the fed ex truck to pull up tomorrow.

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Max X
TaylorMade '16 M2 3HL - AD DI 8X
Adams Pro black Hybrid 20, Voodoo X
Titleist 718 CB 4-9 DGTI X100 SS 
Cleveland RTX4 Black 46, 50, 54 DGTI S400

Titleist Vokey SM7M Black 59.07 S400
Ping Milled 0

On 4/5/2022 at 6:08 PM, davidsloftin said:

I think it is difficult to get the "smaller" companies in these discussions obviously because none of us will game those irons. It would be nice to hear some feedback on some "not so popular" irons...i.e. Hogan, Wilson etc...great irons, but maybe we are missing out? 

I have two sets of irons and I just bought a used set of Mizuno Pro 225’s and really like them but don’t have a bad thing to say about my New Level 623M 1020 irons as they are just as soft as many of the higher priced forged irons and at about 50% less, they would serve many a golfer well. The boutique brands do have some very nice offerings. My putter is a custom built Bellum Winmore and I love it so much that I sold my SC LE Moto putter but the BLK/RD look would have gone great with my new Stealth driver.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 4:58 PM, rockdog said:

Better throw PXG in there. The 0211 are fantastic and would match up with any that were mentioned. Oh, and the price is unbelievable!

Would the 0211 be considered a 2022 iron ? :classic_tongue:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tour AD TP

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP

Adams Idea Pro 20* Aldila Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 56, 60, DGS300

Odyssey 5K Triple Wide 34" (Today)

Titleist ProV1x

I recently went to an independent fitter (Jeff Sy out of Golden Golf). He’s got pretty much everything - big companies and small. He charges for his time so he doesn’t care what you buy, if you buy, or from whom you buy (he actually told me I should buy the clubs from my club). The 2 irons my hack movement (it’s hardly a swing) got along with best were Titliest T100s and Proto Concept C03. I ended up buying both sets found the Protos through @NerdyGolfer and found the T100s on FB Marketplace. What was reinforced from going through the process was if you can find the shaft that works best for you (for me, it was the Modus 105), you’ll hit most of the heads fairly well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, lekimann said:

I'm at a point where I'm starting to realize the wisdom in getting some lessons will help so much more than buying newer irons with better technology. I was so close to selling my new p790s and getting the stealth irons, but made some swing changes and now I love my p790s. 

Strike 1. Any more talk of lessons improving your game over new irons or clubs and you’ll be banned… 😂👍 (Well done on the improvements) 

• Haha 2

One of the best blades is ... MP-20s? 

I mean MP-20s are incredible, for sure. But I thought these lists stuck to stuff people could currently place orders for -- so, Mizuno Pro 221s...?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* | Diamana TB 60X

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST LS | Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80/6.5

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-GW | Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 54/14, Ping Glide Forged Pro Eye2 59/08

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6

I just read the "shotmakers" irons piece about players' cavity backs. 

I'm sorry, but the "from the fitters" comments are ... odd. Just really generic, to the point of not being helpful. For example, did no fitter mention fitting steeper swingers into the ZX7 due to the VT sole? Or the ability to get MMTs as a stock option for players looking to move toward graphite because of age, injuries, etc. in the TCBs? Or like, anything specific at all about the 223s, beyond the obvious observation that Mizuno makes good irons -- maybe something about how they're doing vs. the JPX line, which is still available for order as well, to explain why the 223s made the cut? 

(Not trying to say the piece should have addressed those specific points. Maybe they don't match what fitters told GolfWRX! But just throwing them out as the sorts of details that I'd like to see in these pieces.)

These "from the fitters" interviews seem like incredible opportunities to draw out specific details that go well beyond brands' generic marketing speak. I really look forward to these annual pieces and hope the next ones will step it up.

EDIT: Credit where it’s due, they greatly improved on this in the fairway woods piece, as I noted here.

Edited by eric61
  • Like 2

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* | Diamana TB 60X

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST LS | Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80/6.5

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-GW | Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 54/14, Ping Glide Forged Pro Eye2 59/08

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6

13 hours ago, flubberlange said:

I recently went to an independent fitter (Jeff Sy out of Golden Golf). He’s got pretty much everything - big companies and small. He charges for his time so he doesn’t care what you buy, if you buy, or from whom you buy (he actually told me I should buy the clubs from my club). The 2 irons my hack movement (it’s hardly a swing) got along with best were Titliest T100s and Proto Concept C03. I ended up buying both sets found the Protos through @NerdyGolfer and found the T100s on FB Marketplace. What was reinforced from going through the process was if you can find the shaft that works best for you (for me, it was the Modus 105), you’ll hit most of the heads fairly well. 

Appreciate the shout out!

Golf digest just featured Proto concept on their “hot list”. Now they are a brand new company but they definitely hit their clubs out of the park. Went from a combo set of Srixon zx7’s and zx5’s and thought nothing could beat them…well I was COMPLETELY wrong…

The C03’s and C05’s have been without a doubt in my mind the best clubs I’ve ever played. That’s an extremely strong statement but it’s just how good they are. Best feeling, crazy good turf interaction, amazing forgiveness and depending on the heads you get, different levels of workability. Happy to answer any questions anyone has about them (or my experience)!

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion 6

Fairway Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max D 16* & 19*

Hybrids: Ping G425 4-Hybrid (Ventus Blue)

Irons: Proto Concept C05 5-PW Oban CT-100

Wedges: Proto Concept Forged CB 50*, Cleveland CBX 2 54* & 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG Rossie DB

On 4/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jim E said:

The big name brands spend millions on R&D. They have the best technology advancements to help in that. With that they should and do build the best clubs. Other than single piece forged irons. Which is a very small percentage of the iron market now days.

You know what else they have? Actual data on dispersion, ball speed, spin, launch angle, and almost everything else you could want to know, and the access to get said numbers for almost any other brand, as well as the analysts to put all that on a well-formatted set of tables and charts to show how their new models compare to their old ones and to other OEMs. Funny that we don't see any of that here. I don't mind buzzwords on commercials, but a comparison like this one that tries to pass itself off as genuine yet is this empty will never fly with me or from most here from what I've seen.

We live in the age of big data, and while anecdotes and testimonials as topping for good information are always solid, word salad and a lack of any real numbers are not. I'd get laughed out of a job if I ever tried to present well-polished drivel like this as "proof" of anything or failed so horribly to present actual facts for a target audience that I know for the most part can smell b.s. before it even gets out of the bull.

This site is literally pointless if this is what it's going to become. Why would I ever need to be part of a golf forum if I'm just going to get Golf Digest rehash? There's nothing worth discussing or sharing if that's where we're headed.

• Like 4

On 4/6/2022 at 9:44 PM, john myrbch said:

Lol. When I clicked the link to find out more about the Halo irons, the story was the introduction of thr PRIOR model. This whole thing was a sloppy fail.

In the best blades of 2022, they mention the MP20, those are 2 years old - I guess the mizuno pro 221 blades just don’t make the cut for 2022….. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R.Patrick said:

Same sort of slop that MGS rolls out.

Not even close. They provide plenty of data in their testing.

• Like 2

CLEVELAND Hy-wood 18*

CLEVELAND CBX 54* & 58*

On 4/5/2022 at 4:12 PM, puttingmatt said:

Zzzzzzzz..........

Subjective ? Informative ?

Seems like the Golf Digest Hot List

Big 3 Show, 

Fortunately, I will decide what works best for me. I found the article full of rubbish.

Sounds right. The marketing hype for irons are kind of outmoded since hybrids takes away the need for most low to mid irons as well as some fairway woods. Even a old blades guy like me would rather hit a hybrid.  I still use a 7.5 degree stiff driver with a tour wrap grip on the tee so I'm not the typical player who needs  forgiving clubs.

This is just me. Played a few indoor rounds with the new Stealth irons. Look good and feel good. Stock Ventus Red. My miss is on the toe. The new design relocated weight from the toe and I’ve noticed my miss is severely punishing. Many yards less and off to the right. I know it’s a swing flaw brought on my lack of focus on occasion. Will try them outside in a few weeks. If I see the same thing, the T300s will be back in the bag. They have significant toe side help in the longer irons. 

On 4/8/2022 at 8:35 AM, eric61 said:

One of the best blades is ... MP-20s? 

I mean MP-20s are incredible, for sure. But I thought these lists stuck to stuff people could currently place orders for -- so, Mizuno Pro 221s...?

Mizuno has really hurt themselves it’s not the wait it’s the multiple times your told you should see them in two more weeks now 11 weeks later still waiting.

On 4/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jim E said:

The big name brands spend millions on R&D. They have the best technology advancements to help in that. With that they should and do build the best clubs. Other than single piece forged irons. Which is a very small percentage of the iron market now days.

So then - er - totally unnecessary for anyone to ever even look at anything other than Titleist, Callaway, Ping, TM, or Cleveland?

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10.25* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4 - PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 ball