BEST IRONS 2022: Discussion Thread

On 4/6/2022 at 6:03 PM, MrParr1Noid said:

Just think what it would be like without advertising.    The only exposure to new equipment would be:    A walkon guy in your normal group when one cancels out is playing a nice set of irons.   Hey 'Walkon'?    Where'd  you get those irons?    Walkon:   A friend of my brother-in-laws friend who works with this guy had a set, and I like them.   A Normal Group Guy:   Oh, where'd he get them?    Walkon Guy:   Some guy had a set on ebay, he got em from his dad.   Nice irons.   Normal Group Guy:   You got the name of the guy, maybe his email?    I'd like to find out if they're forgiving or not.   Ya know?   What kind of shafts are those?   NEVER seen them before, how they hit?    yada yada yada  😄

I actually enjoy the ideas even though they're geared on advertisement.   JAT

Without advertising?

Um, maybe start by entering something like "2022 irons, reviews" into, like, the Google? Might have been different 20 or 25 years ago, when a lot of information did come from golf stores and golfing buddies, but these days there's no difficulty finding completely independent reviews - and more data than you can possibly digest - about clubs, shafts. grips, rangefinders, pants, shoes, sunglasses ... pretty much anything golf related. (In fact, the Equipment Forum on WRX often has extremely detailed, nuanced discussions about a whole host of options - that go well beyond the lists in this thread - in both the variety of companies, and the depth of analysis.)

I pay virtually no attention to OEM advertising. Never really have. Big OEM ads are useful to me for two things:

1. If TV ads, good to strengthen the fingers on my strong hand - by hitting the mute/unmute button on my remote multiple times during every tourney - I make sure to cycle through all five fingers in the interest of balanced development (came in handy when I lost my Gripmaster ... https://prohands.net/collections/shop-page/products/pro); and 

2. If print ads, excellent when my French Pittie doesn't quite make it to the backyard. (However, suggestion to any OEMs reading this? It would be quite helpful if you could make your print ads slightly more absorbent.) 

🤣, but, actually, quite serious about this. Ads from the big OEMs add absolutely zero information or insight into my buying decisions. And surveys of "fitters" or any other group that result in (basically) a compilation of ads and marketing language from the big OEMs are equally meaningless. In fact, the only club ad I've ever truly enjoyed is The Hammer - just for the sheer satirical joy in it - it is over the top, but most golf commercials amount to just this (though in a milder, derivative form):

POOOOOOOWWWWW! I mean, even that PXG guy hasn't (yet) put a space shuttle launch into his commercials (I'm thinking 2022, 2023 he prolly will). 

But really, does anyone (of the core people) on WRX find any value at all in OEM ads?

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

36 minutes ago, Jim E said:

Not everyone is looking for technology in their clubs.

Exactly my point. I got my Miura wedges mid-year last year. Couple friends let me hit theirs, then did a lot of research. No, Miura does not have either a marketing or R&D budget that even remotely approaches TM or Vokey, but they are by far the best wedges I've ever played. The subtleties of the sole and turf interaction, the precise firmness of the forging (it isn't Mizuno "butter", but also isn't clicky - it is at once soft and firm). I am pulling off shots with these wedges that I wouldn't even have visualized without them. But Miura will never be in one of those pools that result in the big OEMs winning everything. 

Don't care whether the big guys spend $100MM in technology research. Care what I can do with a club in my hands. 

Edited by bobfoster

Personally, I’m a bit sad for WRX to see this response.

Try Googling - best golf irons 2022

This type of material if almost entirely click bait to create site hits and click-thru revenue. A great example -

https://golfreviewsguide.com/best-golf-irons-2022/#ping-i525-irons

That site has literally no original content whatsoever. Compared to this, the WRX approach appears quite reasonable. The WRX listing also includes a feature that virtually no other site has - a link to user’s input (this thread). What WRX might hope for would be that for us, the enlightened independent users, provide our own feedback about what works for us, and whether the fitter’s appraisal is appropriate.

Instead, we have this, a bunch of whining about how we dislike the free forum that we have no interest in helping to succeed.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

On 4/11/2022 at 9:35 PM, Jeff58 said:

Personally, I’m a bit sad for WRX to see this response.

Try Googling - best golf irons 2022

This type of material if almost entirely click bait to create site hits and click-thru revenue. A great example -

https://golfreviewsguide.com/best-golf-irons-2022/#ping-i525-irons

That site has literally no original content whatsoever. Compared to this, the WRX approach appears quite reasonable. The WRX listing also includes a feature that virtually no other site has - a link to user’s input (this thread). What WRX might hope for would be that for us, the enlightened independent users, provide our own feedback about what works for us, and whether the fitter’s appraisal is appropriate.

Instead, we have this, a bunch of whining about how we dislike the free forum that we have no interest in helping to succeed.

I hear this, and you make a reasonable point. My criticism is — they do these interviews with an extremely competent and well-known bunch of fitters who are surely making nuanced points, and then only include the most bland, obvious quotes imaginable in the actual pieces. 

In terms of “no interest in helping to succeed” … I would freelance these for them for free. Happy to put skin in the game.

EDIT: Credit where it’s due, they greatly improved on this in the fairway woods piece, as I noted here.

Edited by eric61
  • Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

12 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

The WRX listing also includes a feature that virtually no other site has - a link to user’s input (this thread). What WRX might hope for would be that for us, the enlightened independent users, provide our own feedback about what works for us, and whether the fitter’s appraisal is appropriate.

notice they put up another fluff/ad piece for fairway woods today with no forum thread.

I'm happy with the free forum, but if you're going to make ads, make ads. if you're going to do reviews, make them useful. don't try to tell me that cow patty smells like roses.

I find this comment about the P7-TW interesting.. 

• “From a playability standpoint, it’s probably the most forgiving blade out there. It’s not as intimidating as it looks. The P7MB is much less forgviving. The TW is a little longer heel to toe and it feels really good. The tungsten weighting in the middle makes a difference, for
    sure.”

I am not sure there are many out there that would agree with this.. It is longer heel to toe, but the tungsten plug makes hitting the sweet spot an even higher priority. If you miss the performance drops dramatically. I love these irons and I think they are much better than the P7MBs. But I am not sure I agree with the rest of his statement. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I can't say I disagree with anything regarding the shotmakers category. It is probably the most densely packed and most popular category for WRX'rs or your average internet golfer. Lots to like there from all offerings.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

19 hours ago, Jim E said:

Not everyone is looking for technology in their clubs.

No tech in those brands, huh?

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

28 minutes ago, Jim E said:

Solid one piece forged irons? No

Yes, but the OEMs you referenced make irons with tech, don’t they?

Edited by john myrbch

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

2 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Yes, but the OEMs you referenced make irons with tech, don’t they?

I’m not sure we’re on the same page. Basically what I was say is the big name brands make the best clubs if you’re looking for tech(ball speed, forgiveness, etc.). Not everyone is looking for “tech” and there are a ton of great clubs made by the smaller brands.

Edited by Jim E
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim E said:

I’m not sure we’re on the same page. Basically what I was say is the big name brands make the best clubs if you’re looking for tech(ball speed, forgiveness, etc.). Not everyone is looking for “tech” and there are a ton of great clubs made by the smaller brands.

My bad, I completely misunderstood you. 🤷‍♂️
Turns out we’re on exactly the same page after all, lol.

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

I was very critical of the “best irons” pieces, so I think it’s only right to give credit where it’s due: The “best fairway woods” piece had a lot more of the kinds of specific details (mentions of hosel adjustability, what’s good for what type of player, comparisons with other products in a brand’s current lineup, etc.) that I felt like the irons pieces were missing.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

... Marketing and Sales driven. I have being seeing this for years and Cobra is somehow almost always left off these lists. Starting with the original Amp Forged that I switched to from AP2's because they were subjectively better in every way. Look at address, blade size, top line, forgiveness, offset, feel and playability. After playing and loving the T100S I switched to the King Tour MIM irons for the same reasons and they are the best irons I have ever played. I have played over 50 sets of irons and still love my MIMs. Imo they are the best in several of the WRX Iron categories but of course left off the list because Cobra does not aggressively market them and they are down the line in sales which is kinda like the chicken and egg scenario. Many aren't aware of how good Cobra Players Irons really are because they are rarely listed in any of these lists so sales are low and some stores don't even carry them so how can better players find out how good they are?  

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

On 4/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, Follow The Sun said:

A taboo. Millions of golfers are playing golf enjoying playing golf with clone golf clubs.

... Ignorance is bliss. One of my snowbird friends with homes in Chicago and Phoenix spent the last 10 years playing with clones and yes, he was happy with his clubs and enjoyed playing. I finally booked a full bag Callaway Demo Day fitting for him while I had a driver only fitting. I figured it would be an eye opener and we would do a Titleist and Taylormade Demo Day fitting as well. Now granted he is about a 15 index and knows zero about clubs, but it was his first club fitting ever and he ended up buying everything: driver, 5 wood, 4/5 hybrid, 6-pw, gw, aw and sw. He was amazed and shocked at how much easier it was to get the ball in the air, hit it straighter and everything was sooo much longer than his clones. He was so happy with his new clubs he treated me to our next round of golf. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

On 4/11/2022 at 8:34 PM, bobfoster said:

Without advertising?

Um, maybe start by entering something like "2022 irons, reviews" into, like, the Google? Might have been different 20 or 25 years ago, when a lot of information did come from golf stores and golfing buddies, but these days there's no difficulty finding completely independent reviews - and more data than you can possibly digest - about clubs, shafts. grips, rangefinders, pants, shoes, sunglasses ... pretty much anything golf related. (In fact, the Equipment Forum on WRX often has extremely detailed, nuanced discussions about a whole host of options - that go well beyond the lists in this thread - in both the variety of companies, and the depth of analysis.)

I pay virtually no attention to OEM advertising. Never really have. Big OEM ads are useful to me for two things:

1. If TV ads, good to strengthen the fingers on my strong hand - by hitting the mute/unmute button on my remote multiple times during every tourney - I make sure to cycle through all five fingers in the interest of balanced development (came in handy when I lost my Gripmaster ... https://prohands.net/collections/shop-page/products/pro); and 

2. If print ads, excellent when my French Pittie doesn't quite make it to the backyard. (However, suggestion to any OEMs reading this? It would be quite helpful if you could make your print ads slightly more absorbent.) 

🤣, but, actually, quite serious about this. Ads from the big OEMs add absolutely zero information or insight into my buying decisions. And surveys of "fitters" or any other group that result in (basically) a compilation of ads and marketing language from the big OEMs are equally meaningless. In fact, the only club ad I've ever truly enjoyed is The Hammer - just for the sheer satirical joy in it - it is over the top, but most golf commercials amount to just this (though in a milder, derivative form):

POOOOOOOWWWWW! I mean, even that PXG guy hasn't (yet) put a space shuttle launch into his commercials (I'm thinking 2022, 2023 he prolly will). 

But really, does anyone (of the core people) on WRX find any value at all in OEM ads?

Oh Bob Foster ..  What do you know that the rest of us don't know?   Eh?    I don't know what your credentials are and furthermore... What I post is as I see it and it may be filled with truths, partials, innuendos and rumors but it's as I see it.   

Thank You  😉

• Like 1

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

3 hours ago, MrParr1Noid said:

Oh Bob Foster ..  What do you know that the rest of us don't know?   Eh?    I don't know what your credentials are and furthermore... What I post is as I see it and it may be filled with truths, partials, innuendos and rumors but it's as I see it.   

Thank You  😉

Oh Mr. MrParr1Noid (see what I did there? - you want to try cheap rhetorical tricks, well, back atcha.) Seriously don't know what that means. Never pretended to "know anything the rest of people don't know". You asked how people would know about new clubs without ads. I answered that it was not only easy, but that I never even listened to ads, because I know full well how useless the productions of marketing departments are to my decision making. 

I don't know anything "the rest of us" don't know, I only know what pretty much everyone on GolfWRX knows - there are incredibly detailed resources on the internet, with hard core stats, that are not at all hard to find. That ads by OEMs are not where you go to figure out what you might want for your game (I mean, good grief, are you serious?) 

Wasn't meant as an insult dude. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 12:14 PM, chisag said:

... Marketing and Sales driven. I have being seeing this for years and Cobra is somehow almost always left off these lists. Starting with the original Amp Forged that I switched to from AP2's because they were subjectively better in every way. Look at address, blade size, top line, forgiveness, offset, feel and playability. After playing and loving the T100S I switched to the King Tour MIM irons for the same reasons and they are the best irons I have ever played. I have played over 50 sets of irons and still love my MIMs. Imo they are the best in several of the WRX Iron categories but of course left off the list because Cobra does not aggressively market them and they are down the line in sales which is kinda like the chicken and egg scenario. Many aren't aware of how good Cobra Players Irons really are because they are rarely listed in any of these lists so sales are low and some stores don't even carry them so how can better players find out how good they are?  

Maybe you can be to Cobra what you are to Humana.

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

3 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Oh Mr. MrParr1Noid (see what I did there? - you want to try cheap rhetorical tricks, well, back atcha.) Seriously don't know what that means. Never pretended to "know anything the rest of people don't know". You asked how people would know about new clubs without ads. I answered that it was not only easy, but that I never even listened to ads, because I know full well how useless the productions of marketing departments are to my decision making. 

I don't know anything "the rest of us" don't know, I only know what pretty much everyone on GolfWRX knows - there are incredibly detailed resources on the internet, with hard core stats, that are not at all hard to find. That ads by OEMs are not where you go to figure out what you might want for your game (I mean, good grief, are you serious?) 

Wasn't meant as an insult dude. 

Good the see you explain yourself better here than you didn't  in your original post.   I'm not here to give you a difficult time but I was attempting to bust your chops just a little bit.   

I like to argue but I'm not keen on fight anymore.   No one ever wins.  But as far as advertisers/advertising, it's all good, it supplies bean money for many workers.   Besides, it's fun navigating thru the BS and trying to find what I'm looking for.   It takes talent to interpret what "they're" really saying.   And I like buying clubs, it's almost as much fun as playing, which by the way I've been doing little of lately.   At my stage in life buying is mostly the main objective.   Playing golf and/or hitting balls is a plus.. 😉 

Continue to march.

Edited by MrParr1Noid
  • Haha 1

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I hit the P7TW yesterday for the first time and have to say I was very impressed with everything about it. In fact, I'd put it right next to the Blueprint. While I still prefer my MB-101's, I'd have zero issues with the Blueprint or the P7TW's. They are honestly that good.

• Thanks 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 4/8/2022 at 11:56 AM, davidsloftin said:

I would be really interest to hit some Hogans. They are one of the best looking irons in the industry.

they have a program were they send you a club to demo ( I got a 6 iron). I think its like $20. I was going to buy some mizuno's. The hogan iron showed up at the door, i took it to the range and ordered a set few days later. Hundreds less the the mizuno's... 

i really like them but as stated in another post i only have played 2 sets of irons before the hogans... 

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

On 4/17/2022 at 7:51 AM, nitram said:

I hit the P7TW yesterday for the first time and have to say I was very impressed with everything about it. In fact, I'd put it right next to the Blueprint. While I still prefer my MB-101's, I'd have zero issues with the Blueprint or the P7TW's. They are honestly that good.

Heard people say they both feel hard. That not true?