2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Low/shallow profile fairway woods: Love, hate, indifferent?

eric61

Just wondering what folks here think about fairway woods -- especially 3 woods/your lowest-lofted non-driver -- with shallow profiles, especially if you use it off the tee sometimes?

I'm on the hunt for a new 3W and have been trying a bunch of stuff out. I grabbed a G425 LST 3 wood after really liking the numbers I saw when I demoed it, but was only really able to hit it off the ground, where the shallow profile isn't really a concern and I'm hitting down on it 1-1.5 degrees. Then took it to the golf dome and hit it a bit -- again, off the ground, didn't have a shallow tee on hand. 

The impact marks/residue shows I'm already on the upper half of the face. I'm kind of worried that I'm going to start covering this thing with sky marks if I tee it up at all!

What about you all? Anybody going with low-profile 3 woods, and finding that this isn't really a problem? Or moving away from them because it is in fact a problem for you? 

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

425lst.jpg.8e2bc10bb63d8393c38a8fb699f0e278.jpg

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I switched from a G410 3-wood to a SIM2 Max 3 wood recently, after facing a similar issue.

It’s probably partially due to the shaft change, but I’m getting a lot more consistency and distance out of the max — and I feel much more confident taking it off a (still short) tee.

Granted, this experience is via simulator. We’ll see what turf interaction looks like on the course.

• Like 1

Driver - TSI3 - Tensei AV White S

3W - Ping G410 - Tensei AV Orange X

Driving Iron  - PXG 0311x - MMT 80 S

4-8 - PXG 0211 - Elevate Tour S

9-W - PXG 0311p - Elevate Tour S

G&S - PGX 0311 Forged - Elevate Tour S

Putter - EVNROLL - ER7

Maybe go with something a little deeper faced like TSi3 or Stealth.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I hit my 3W off the tee 90% of the time. It rarely sees the turf.  I have the same issue as you. I was fitted into a Callaway Rogue Max 3 wood, but my gawd it’s shallow. I changed my order to the Rogue LS 3 wood. The face is slightly deeper, it’s heavenly.   Sounds like angels singing when you stripe it 🙂

Edited by quikcolin
  • Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST MAX w/MMT 60 X

Fairway - Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS w/ MMT 70 X

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 3H w/ Evenflow Black 85 X

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore 50 / 54 / 58 w/ TT Spinners

Putter(s) - Evnroll ER2 Blackout | Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven DB Tour Line

image.png.837d9bcfa708b34eccd3f2a335c52d01.pngFrom 2002 to 2008, I played the low-profile Tour Edge Bazooka BetaTi 3W and 5W (forest green head and shaft).

At 14* and 19*, the pair worked well early in the cycle. But about 2006 I got my swing revamped, and I started having trouble with pop-ups - too much launch help on occasion.

Last couple of seasons when playing in tee shot I fluffed the grass and set the ball atop. Teed Bazookas just went too high.

Have preferred - if anything - slightly deeper FW faces since then.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

For me, when teed up the shallow face makes me think I'm going to sky it and then my brain over adjusts and I top it. I have not really found any advantage to a shallow face off the deck either, so I tend to avoid shallow fairways. Have tried many many Ping G models and always end up selling them because I am too scared to hit them off a tee. 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

I have a couple of shallow faced fairway woods in my back up bag (2013 Adams Tight Lies 16*+19*) I bought them to be used exclusively off the deck since I am a very good driver of the ball thanks to Howard’s DiY driver tune up, and was only looking to attack some par 5’s off the deck.

I used to have trouble with dispersion first and foremost with a 3 wood, but weight and length solved that, and my second big problem was keeping the ball from ballooning, but weight and length helped with that too, although some deeper faced ones are easier to keep down. 

I noticed a bit of the same as you when I had the ball on the tee at a seemingly “normal” height.  I have hit both the 3 wood and 5 wood off the tee on occasion, but tee it up so low that it’s like a really good fairway lie. In fact, I would tee up to “normal” height with my 5 wood to cut the corner over some tall pines on a par 4 that goes 210 out to 190 in. 

The Ping reminds me of the 2013 Tight Lies, shallow face, flatter sole than most ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

With that being said, I can’t say enough about the Tour Edge EXS pro fairway woods. I find them to possibly be the best I’ve ever hit. It used to be a toss up between the Sonartec SS03 and the Titleist 980f for me, but the TEE EXS PRO simply does all things well. 

Great off the Turf   ☑️
Workable to shape ☑️
Easy to flight down ☑️
Great off the tee.    ☑️

I think the Cobra F9 Tour model fairway woods are great as well, but the Tensei Orange may have been a factor for the Tour Edge beating it out since the Cobra I demoed had a Tensei Blue or Aldila Blue in it, which doesn’t fit me as well as the Tensei Orange. 

I found the shallow face fairway woods are great if you find the right weight and length, but if you are looking for a fairway finder off the tee, a deep face 3wood, or mini driver is best.

Mix and match is an option, a deep face 3wood for off the tee and a shallow face 5 wood for off the deck 🤷‍♂️

In all honesty, how often are we hitting a 3 wood off the deck into par 5’s and expecting to knock it stiff?

As a 2 handicap, I was happy to hit the green if I was hitting a 3 wood from 250+ out. More often than not, I’d be anywhere from on the collar to 15-20 yards off the green (most often to the right and sometimes in the woods 😂).

I feel like the 5 wood is a higher percentage play of hitting the green for me than my 3 wood, maybe double 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the G425 max and love it. I have a similar strike pattern as you do, but I have never had any issues or worries about it off the tee. I still hit it in the same place teed up or off the deck. As others have said, I just tee it low off the tee and topping it isnt really that much of a risk. 

I'd actually argue that I am more likely to sky it out of a lie in the rough where the ball is sitting up, than off the tee.

Edited by Flip4000
  • Like 1

I have tried and tried to love Ping fairway woods but for some reason the shallow faces just don't work for me. I think it's more of a mental block at this point rather than an issue with the club, but since I have switched to my Mavrik 3wood with a much more traditional / deeper face I have been far more consistent. 

Just my 2 cents 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 10.5* Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 60g Stiff

Titleist 917 F2 15* Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff

Tommy Armour 845 Max 19* Tensei Blue CK 85 HY Stiff

Ping i20 (4-PW) CFS 110 Stiff

Cleveland CBX Zipcore (52* / 56* / 60*) Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g

Mizuno MCraft V

Maxfli Tour X

Love from the fairway, hate from the tee. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I bought the Ping G425 5 wood, had the occasional unbelievable shot with it but just couldn't get used to the shallow face.

I was very inconsistent off the tee and was skying it short or topping it as often as I was getting good hit.

Been making much better contact with a 20 year old Wilson Deep Red with a deeper face off the tee. From the deck I got a Titleist ts2 which has been treating me better as well as far as consistency.

• Like 1

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

Well sell me your shallow faced throw always then. Cuz PING 3 woods are about all i can hit from the fairway. I have been trying so many different fairways the last two years just trying to find ANYTHING i can consistently launch in that 11-15 degree window and still carry 250-260 ish. PING G 425 lst is about the only thing i can get over 10 degrees. I spent a solid two hours today testing fairways. PING was about the only thing that worked. I was able to elevate the 3 wood more than taylormade 5 wood. I think i finally found a solution that i won’t have to constantly play conservative anymore 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

For years I played and had a love hate relationship with taller faced fairway wood.  I never liked how a shallow faced fairway wood looked.  During this time I also play an old Cobra rail H hybrid.  So on a lark I bought a used and abused Cobra rail F 3 wood off eBay for 30 buck and some sipping.  It is a shallow faced club and it has changed my game.  Sooo easy to hit of the tee or deck.  So now have a set of 11 year old fairway woods in the bag.  

• Like 1

Like - Hit shallow face better than deep off turf. Short tee used when hitting off tee box. Gravitated to Pings. I tried Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo this year, really liked the looks, but they didn't like my swing. I've improved my fairway technique with much better results at end of season. Just added 7w with expectation it will replace my 4H next year. I am a picker not a digger with irons, so just scuffing the turf with a fairway wood or shallower hybrid fits my swing.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Love em. My 07 burner and Cobra LTD's are both pretty shallow. Just makes sense to me with my shallower AOA

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I just got fit into TSR fairway woods coming from the Ping 425. I found myself putting a couple idiot marks on the crown due to the shallow face out of the rough. Once off the tee but since have just tee’d it up lower ever since. Hopefully the TSR fairways are better for me this coming season. Got a long wait winter hasn’t even begun yet. 
but to answer the topic question indifferent because the 425 7wood has been an auto pilot club this past year

Edited by NZ315

My misses have always been hitting a little high or low on the face instead of toe and heel so I have always prefered deeper faces.

My tee game has been so bad this year that I was going back and forth between picking up a used Callaway XHot 3 deep 15 degree, or the TM SLDR mini 14. I hit quite a few shots with both and settled on the TM SLDR Mini 14 because it was a little easier to for me to fade with.  The Xhot 3 deep and the SLDR mini also look great sitting behind the ball in the fairways and I get about the same ball flight as my shallower faced 3 woods.  

I really don't mind the distance loss going from my driver to the Mini 14 because it's a lot more fun hitting from 150 markers in the fairways than hitting from 130-140 from the trees and rough.

I used to struggle with the fear of the dummy mark from the tee with my fairways which would always push me into something deeper that I didn't hit consistently off the deck.

On an old No Laying Up episode, Justin Huber talked about making a grass tee and its been a game changer for hitting my fairways from the tee.  Ball goes a little straighter, doesn't spin as much and does well into the wind compared to even the shortest of tee's.  The boxes at my club are nothing special, and usually i can make a spot at the back of someone else's divot. I could see it being an issue somewhere with really nice tee boxes, but at that point i could probably just "fluff" it up.

Playing a TSi2 4w and TSi1 7w right now which i would classify as "average to shallow" depth, hitting them better than I have ever hit fairway woods.

• Like 2

I play my G410 LST off the tee a lot and have no real issues just make sure I don't tee it up too high and let it go. I'm sure a deeper faced one would be more helpful but I like the G410 off the tee and I don't have the best swing out there. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I love fairway woods, 3w and 5w's have been my favorite long clubs to hit for decades. I have the G410 LST 3w and I love the low profile design which suites my eye. Though, when I tee'd it up I had issues with it for a bit, just couldn't make good solid contact with the tees. I was seeing ballooning ball flight or ball flights with lots of spin. The same with the 5w. 

But recently, I started to using the tees due to the tee box conditions with these wet cold weather. Just like my irons, I barely raise the ball off he turf with the tee and changed my AOA - I sweep instead of "dig" like I normally do. I also move the ball forward a tad in my set up which results into a baby fade.. (not on purpose lol)

I have one low profile (G410 SFT 5 Wood) and one deep faced, (Ping Rapture mini-driver 13.0 degree).  Both work fine for me from the tee or off the deck.  Never sky'ed the 5 wood or take one off the crown even in the rough.

I have no preference.  The G410 5 wood does have a wide sole.  The SFT is much wider than the normal G410, larger too helping it from sliding under the ball 

Ping Rapture line up.jpg

Ping-G410-SFT-Fairway-26.jpg

Edited by stormbringer
typo

Driver: PING G410 9 Tensei CK-Pro Raw Orange AV 65 Stiff

3 Wood: PING Rapture 13 Ping TFC 949 Stiff

5 Wood: PING G410 18 Fuji Atmos TS Black 7

Hybrid: PING G25 20, 23, 27 TCF 189H Stiff

Irons: PING Eye I25 6-PW CFS Stiff

Wedges: PING MB 52, 56, 60 CS-Lite Stiff

Putter: Bobby Grace ARSE Kicker

For 3 wood I prefer something a little deeper faced. Waffling back and forth between SLDR Mini TP 14* and an old Yonex V Mass 350. Generally it's a tee club so something super shallow like that 425 in the OP would make me very nervous. The Yonex is surprisingly good off the turf though, titanium with tungsten sole weights. SLDR Mini is a no go off turf but offers a bit more forgiveness off the tee. If someone is really consistent on high-low strike location, a shallow faced 3 wood should be fine. I am not.

For many seasons, I considered a 3W as a Driver alternative, never to be hit from the turf.  I've collected 4 that I still possess, going back to 2009 thru 2011 because most of them had titanium faces. (TM  R11 ti, TEE XCGV, TM RBZ TS.)

Now, I only play one of them, the lowest profile off turf only with occasional short teeD up shots for short par 4's.  The Mizuno MP titanium is also very compact, and in another bag, I play the 5W as they were just so good and easy to pick a ball off turf with their nice flatter sole plate and great feel/sound titanium.

If my game needed to go back to more teed up 3Ws, I would switch out to either of those other three and stick with my 18 degree hybrids as the longest club off turf besides that MP titanium 5.

MPtiMizzy.jpg

Edited by avguy

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Currently rocking the OG SIM ti which is considered shallow face and I have no issues with it off the deck or tee.  In fact, almost all my 3 metals past and present have been shallow face.  I had one deep face and it and I didn't notice much of a difference strike pattern wise.  I've always teed the ball the same height with 3 metal. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

This seems like a weird mental issue for some people.  Just tee it lower or use an earthen tee and there should be no risk of pop up shots.  There's no reason to ever tee up a fairway wood with any part of the ball above the crown.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

If you really love a shallow face off the fairway you can set your tee so it's basically just a perfect lie on top of the grass. 

Seems like face depth preference usually comes down to how people prefer to use the club. Is it primarily a safe tee club or a go for it in two club? 

Personally I've split the difference and carry an Epic Speed 4 wood. It works well in both situations. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS