2024 Cognizant Classic WITB Pics ×

Pano going pro

8 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

She had a great showing this weekend. Will be interesting to see if she can keep it up. We have two interesting case studies in her and Akshay right now for sure. 

A lot more than basically nothing is still not a lot Tiger. She finished second this weekend and got essentially $20,000 before taxes and expenses. Past top 10 on the LPGA got less than $25,000 this weekend, again before taxes and expenses. The women are woefully underpaid and the endorsements are not that great either, why do you think the women have to go out there looking like NASCAR with a sponsorship on ever square foot of available space while the men have one or two sponsors?

I actually like the women's outfit with all the sponsorship logos on there.  I have a polo golf shirt with companies like Cisco Systems, PaloAlto Networks, Checkpoint technologies, Oracle and Imperva logos on both the front and back of the shirt.  It looks cool.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

I actually like the women's outfit with all the sponsorship logos on there.  I have a polo golf shirt with companies like Cisco Systems, PaloAlto Networks, Checkpoint technologies, Oracle and Imperva logos on both the front and back of the shirt.  It looks cool.

I don't like or dislike it but they have to do it for a reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

She had a great showing this weekend. Will be interesting to see if she can keep it up. We have two interesting case studies in her and Akshay right now for sure. 

A lot more than basically nothing is still not a lot Tiger. She finished second this weekend and got essentially $20,000 before taxes and expenses. Past top 10 on the LPGA got less than $25,000 this weekend, again before taxes and expenses. The women are woefully underpaid and the endorsements are not that great either, why do you think the women have to go out there looking like NASCAR with a sponsorship on ever square foot of available space while the men have one or two sponsors?

Pano is playing on the Epson tour which is like the Korn Ferry tour.  No one makes a lot money on those tours.  Getting 20k vs $0 is a lot better then what she is used to.  

If she can get on the LPGA tour there is plenty of money there for women who do well .    The US open is 1.8 million this year for women.

What you are saying is both ignorant and Gender Biased.  

Honestly this is a very good start for her and very well may mean she made the correct decision.

11 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Pano is playing on the Epson tour which is like the Korn Ferry tour.  No one makes a lot money on those tours.  Getting 20k vs $0 is a lot better then what she is used to.  

If she can get on the LPGA tour there is plenty of money there for women who do well .    The US open is 1.8 million this year for women.

Honestly this is a very good start for her and very well may mean she made the correct decision.

I am fully aware Epson is the minor league Tiger, it is why I pointed out the LPGA money from this weekend and how past top 10 got less than $25,000 but we all know you don't read posts fully.

It is not gender biased nor ignorant. I have coached my entire professional life and prefer to coach ladies sports so I am the biggest defender of women's sports out there but facts don't lie, the money is not there for the VAST VAST majority of female golfers right now and that is a dang shame.

The US Open is one tournament Tiger we are talking overall throughout the season. It is a great start to her but people said Akshay had proved himself after his win in January, what has he done since then? 4 missed cuts, 2 WDs, and a tie for 35th. She has a had a great start but a long way to go.

*Edit: Despite the seemingly large purse of the Women's US Open last year, past 30th brought home less than $37,000 before taxes and expenses. The money is better but it is not great. The men got almost double that Tiger. Also the runner up this weekend at the KF at Huntsville got $67,500 vs. Pano's $20,000. The differences are startling, that isn't being gender biased it is dealing with reality Tiger. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I am fully aware Epson is the minor league Tiger, it is why I pointed out the LPGA money from this weekend and how past top 10 got less than $25,000 but we all know you don't read posts fully.

It is not gender biased nor ignorant. I have coached my entire professional life and prefer to coach ladies sports so I am the biggest defender of women's sports out there but facts don't lie, the money is not there for the VAST VAST majority of female golfers right now and that is a dang shame.

The US Open is one tournament Tiger we are talking overall throughout the season. It is a great start to her but people said Akshay had proved himself after his win in January, what has he done since then? 4 missed cuts, 2 WDs, and a tie for 35th. She has a had a great start but a long way to go.

*Edit: Despite the seemingly large purse of the Women's US Open last year, past 30th brought home less than $37,000 before taxes and expenses. The money is better but it is not great. The men got almost double that Tiger. Also the runner up this weekend at the KF at Huntsville got $67,500 vs. Pano's $20,000. The differences are startling, that isn't being gender biased it is dealing with reality Tiger. 

Plenty of women have made decent money on the LPGA tour.  You are acting like they get nothing and that is my issue.

I met more then one LPGA Player and trust me there not starving like you make it out be.

24 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Plenty of women have made decent money on the LPGA tour.  You are acting like they get nothing and that is my issue.

I met more then one LPGA Player and trust me there not starving like you make it out be.

I think I do have an issue with this.  Plenty of women barely made enough on the LPGA tour to cover expenses on the tour.  One example is Stephanie Meadow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Did you know that the Women's US Open is subsidized by the Men's US Open?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

25 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

I think I do have an issue with this.  Plenty of women barely made enough on the LPGA tour to cover expenses on the tour.  One example is Stephanie Meadow.

Not everyone makes money on any golf tour including PGA.  If you don't win your not going be on tour very long.   

The women who are doing well and winning on the LPGA tour these days are making quite a bit of money.

There are lot good pro's on the Men's side of things who are starving too.   

56 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

The bottom half of the players on the LPGA are barely breaking even.

8 minutes ago, mikedellgolf said:

My younger brother works for Apple and he has not been in the top half for almost five years, and he is still working at Apple.  He is being very well compensated.

You made that statement without any data to back it up.

10 Internet Memes That Can Still Make You Laugh | Technogog

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Never did I say they get nothing but if you are not one of the top female golfers on the LPGA you are not doing well financially, that is not gender bias that is just facts Tiger. It sucks, it is crap, it is not fair but capitalism and marketing are not fair. They are cold and harsh.

Congrats you met some LPGA players, numbers don't lie. This is not like the PGA where you can go make cuts every week and do well. If you finished 33rd this week you made less than $10,000 on the LPGA. After airfare, hotels, taxes, and other fees you aren't doing well Tiger. 33rd at the Mexico Open you made $33,000. $225,000 vs. $1,300,000 winner purses by the way Tiger. 

From a marketing standpoint outside golf circles LPGA athletes are just not that marketable. There are other athletes that endorsement deals will go to. 

It is getting better but it is not good. 

7 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Agree with the ladies underpaid …but men have just one or two?  Virtually very pro has a minimum of two.  Hat is the bare minimum.  They are a few that forgo equipment sponsors but most all have that plus a clothing sponsor.  Then a good bulk have a travel sponsor as in JetBlue or Net Jets..  that would be minimum hen it goes up from there.

Here is Tiger’s list

https://sportskhabri.com/tiger-woods-brand-endorsements-sponsorships-brand-value/

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TS3 strong 3w 13.5° PX HZRDUS black 70g

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 5/1/2022 at 4:48 AM, tiger1873 said:

NIL money in Woman's golf is not going to amount to much money.

An LPGA that can keep their tour card is not going to have a problem getting free clubs and finding people who will pay them to speak or play with.

LPGA has a lot more money then it did 30 years ago.

Hopefully things change in the future for LGPA players I agree that money has improved with the women.

However, my kid plays with some LPGA players who have tour cards, as well as an agent who represents some men and women. My kid and sometimes I get to look at their bags and talk with them about what they get for free and what they pay for.

Trust me, 50% or more of the players on the LPGA pay for their clubs, and there just isn’t many opportunities to play or speak for pay with women. 

With regard to NIL money for women golfers, it all depends on performance, social media activity and what school the player attends, but it is still more than the endorsements that the vast majority of LPGA players receive.

An LPGA that can keep their tour card is not going to have a problem getting free clubs and finding people who will pay them to speak or play with.

Hopefully things change in the future for LGPA players I agree that money has improved with the women.

However, my kid plays with some LPGA players who have tour cards, as well as an agent who represents some men and women. My kid and sometimes I get to look at their bags and talk with them about what they get for free and what they pay for.

Trust me, 50% or more of the players on the LPGA pay for their clubs, and there just isn’t many opportunities to play or speak for pay with women. 

With regard to NIL money for women golfers, it all depends on performance, social media activity and what school the player attends, but it is still more than the endorsements that the vast majority of LPGA players receive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Agree with the ladies underpaid …but men have just one or two?  Virtually very pro has a minimum of two.  Hat is the bare minimum.  They are a few that forgo equipment sponsors but most all have that plus a clothing sponsor.  Then a good bulk have a travel sponsor as in JetBlue or Net Jets..  that would be minimum hen it goes up from there.

Here is Tiger’s list

https://sportskhabri.com/tiger-woods-brand-endorsements-sponsorships-brand-value/

I never meant just one or two total; however, they typically only have a bag sponsor and one to two sponsors on their garments was my point. The ladies have to have have 6 - 10 sponsors on all their clothing. Tiger isn't wearing a Rolex or Hero patch on his clothes. DJ wears an RBC. Compare that to what Nelly and the other ladies have to do was my point. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11

16 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Here is Tiger’s list

I am trying to figure out why people think the ladies are underpaid.  They are paid for the value of the sport that is marketable to TV audiences.  The viewership dictates what they get paid.   You cannot compare them to what the men make.  The vast majority of the purses paid are from TV revenue.  More viewers means higher pay.  If just all the female viewers that watched the PGA tuned into watch the LPGA tour, that would be more viewers than they currently have.  They are all individual contractors.  If they don't like their pay, they can get another job.  No one is forcing them to play professionally.  I wanted to be a professional Curler, unfortunately sweeping a ice to move a stone doesn't pay well and I had to find a job to make ends meet.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

I am trying to figure out why people think the ladies are underpaid.  They are paid for the value of the sport that is marketable to TV audiences.  The viewership dictates what they get paid.   You cannot compare them to what the men make.  The vast majority of the purses paid are from TV revenue.  More viewers means higher pay.  If just all the female viewers that watched the PGA tuned into watch the LPGA tour, that would be more viewers than they currently have.  They are all individual contractors.  If they don't like their pay, they can get another job.  No one is forcing them to play professionally.  I wanted to be a professional Curler, unfortunately sweeping a ice to move a stone doesn't pay well and I had to find a job to make ends meet.

Both the PGA Tour and the LPGA Tour put 55% of their total revenue into total purse amounts for the season.

It just so happens that the PGA Tour's revenue is well over $1 billion while the LPGA Tour's revenue is less than $200 million...

Sadly, until the LPGA finds a way to drastically increase its popularity and in turn its revenue there will always be a major difference in what the men make vs the women. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Both the PGA Tour and the LPGA Tour put 55% of their total revenue into total purse amounts for the season.

It just so happens that the PGA Tour's revenue is well over $1 billion while the LPGA Tour's revenue is less than $200 million...

Sadly, until the LPGA finds a way to drastically increase its popularity and in turn its revenue there will always be a major difference in what the men make vs the women. 

It is about dollars and cents.  It isn't that they are underpaid or have unfair treatment.  It isn't the PGA Tours job to supplement the LPGA.  It comes down to the value of the league which comes down to viewership.  People are wanting to point fingers and I blame Women for the lack of success of Women's Professional sports.  If Women watched the ladies play the ladies would make more.  This has been discussed in many articles.  I don't feel like researching the number, but it is like 15% of female PGA viewers tune in to watch the LPGA.  If 100% of PGA female viewers tuned in to watch the LPGA that would more than double the current viewership, meaning more money. 

• Like 1

This has gone off the rails from "Alexa Turning Pro" but ill take the bait.

The biggest issue for LPGA and women's sports in general is the historic bias in regards to lack of coverage. Networks historically assumed 'people won't watch women's sports' so they don't offer the same levels of coverage and promotion. This in turn leads to a cycle where women's sports aren't promoted, give off hour coverage (and often tape delayed) and this results in fewer viewers...and of course fewer sponsor/ad dollars. This also then reflects in the coverage by the media...

The same cycle was prevalent in tv networks historically not creating content with diverse casts - the assumption being that people won't watch a black/hispanic/asian lead or a female action star in a tv show/movie etc. This historic bias has been shattered and now we are seeing more tv/movies with diverse casts and leads and guess what? People watch..and even in bigger numbers! Turns out we like great stories and at the end of the day don't care what color or gender of the cast.

Of course the PGA has greater viewership...just look at the difference in promotion and time slots given to coverage. Better promotion and coverage windows directly influences sponsor and ad dollars...creating a cycle of more and more dollars and more demand for more coverage and again...more dollars.

If/when networks promote womens sports and the LGPA in kind we will see more viewership, better tv windows and more sponsors. Its starting to happen...but to just blame women for not watching the LGPA and saying thats why there shouldn't be as much money is kind of missing the point. In sports we like to watch talented athletes create drama...and if promoted and supported we will also realize we don't care the gender of the athlete...but first the networks need to get over the historic bias. 

The issue is even more complicated based on media coverage and ownership. Comcast/NBC covers LPGA but doesn't have the national reach of an ESPN/Fox Sports to promote the LPGA. ESPN and Fox Sports have both had distribution deals with the PGA so you see it promoted top billing on their media platforms. Those media outlets have direct incentive to grow the PGA as its grows their ad dollars.

As the networks change their promotion of an event it becomes a self fulfilling cycle of success. Better promotion and windows lead to better media coverage leads to more viewers leads to more dollars.

phew...sorry for long read...but its much more complicated than 'people don't want to watch the LPGA'

2 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

This has gone off the rails from "Alexa Turning Pro" but ill take the bait.

The biggest issue for LPGA and women's sports in general is the historic bias in regards to lack of coverage. Networks historically assumed 'people won't watch women's sports' so they don't offer the same levels of coverage and promotion. This in turn leads to a cycle where women's sports aren't promoted, give off hour coverage (and often tape delayed) and this results in fewer viewers...and of course fewer sponsor/ad dollars. This also then reflects in the coverage by the media...

The same cycle was prevalent in tv networks historically not creating content with diverse casts - the assumption being that people won't watch a black/hispanic/asian lead or a female action star in a tv show/movie etc. This historic bias has been shattered and now we are seeing more tv/movies with diverse casts and leads and guess what? People watch..and even in bigger numbers! Turns out we like great stories and at the end of the day don't care what color or gender of the cast.

Of course the PGA has greater viewership...just look at the difference in promotion and time slots given to coverage. Better promotion and coverage windows directly influences sponsor and ad dollars...creating a cycle of more and more dollars and more demand for more coverage and again...more dollars.

If/when networks promote womens sports and the LGPA in kind we will see more viewership, better tv windows and more sponsors. Its starting to happen...but to just blame women for not watching the LGPA and saying thats why there shouldn't be as much money is kind of missing the point. In sports we like to watch talented athletes create drama...and if promoted and supported we will also realize we don't care the gender of the athlete...but first the networks need to get over the historic bias. 

The issue is even more complicated based on media coverage and ownership. Comcast/NBC covers LPGA but doesn't have the national reach of an ESPN/Fox Sports to promote the LPGA. ESPN and Fox Sports have both had distribution deals with the PGA so you see it promoted top billing on their media platforms. Those media outlets have direct incentive to grow the PGA as its grows their ad dollars.

As the networks change their promotion of an event it becomes a self fulfilling cycle of success. Better promotion and windows lead to better media coverage leads to more viewers leads to more dollars.

phew...sorry for long read...but its much more complicated than 'people don't want to watch the LPGA'

Have you ever been to a WNBA game in person vs. an NBA game in person?  Have you ever been to a tennis match where both the ATP and WTA event are held in the same place?  Very few people watch the women match while the men match is always crowded.

My employer gave away WNBA ticket to employees for free but got very few takers.  Employees have to buy NBA tickets and those tickets are sold out within 5 minutes after the announcement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

I was agreeing with post I replied to.  While I agree the market determines their pay structure they are certainly lowly paid based on relative talent.  But in professional  sports all that matters in general is the number of eyeballs watching. And in that regard they are miles behind the men.

Which brings up a question….how do the ladies and Korn Ferry attendance compare?  You very rarely see them on television so a vast majority of their income must be money siphoned from the big tour?  So it’s not always merit based.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TS3 strong 3w 13.5° PX HZRDUS black 70g

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

6 hours ago, mikedellgolf said:

Have you ever been to a WNBA game in person vs. an NBA game in person?  Have you ever been to a tennis match where both the ATP and WTA event are held in the same place?  Very few people watch the women match while the men match is always crowded.

My employer gave away WNBA ticket to employees for free but got very few takers.  Employees have to buy NBA tickets and those tickets are sold out within 5 minutes after the announcement.

Going into my senior year of basketball, I agreed to keep stats for the coach who did double-duty as both boys and girls varsity head coach.  The girls played in the fall, the boys the winter as is common in the midwest.  I had several close friends on that team, not to mention my coach, and it was still a challenge to stay interested at times.  Basketball was my first love, but after half of the season my eyes glazed over having to sit through (and keep track!) games where scoring 60 points via a slow-motion flex offense may as well have been landing on the moon.  

Now, I get that WNBA basketball is much better competition with bigger and faster athletes--but still, even for a basketball junky it is very difficult to watch.

Compared that to LPGA or even girls junior golf, I'll pick the golf product all day.  The distances hit may be different, but a well-struck wedge is fun to watch no matter who hits it IMO.  Ditto for good putting.

I would pay to watch LPGA tournaments, I would have to be paid decently or know someone on the team to go see a WNBA game (or the equivalent Euro/Asian/Aussie product).

• Like 3