2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

10 day Golf trip in Ireland

On 7/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, njlam said:

Okay, leaving for Ireland in a week and the excitement is building...

I have moved my pants to shorts ratio from 1:1 to 3:1 given the advice here (and watching The Open where none of the spectators are wearing shorts).

I heard somewhere that when playing golf in Scotland/Ireland (coming from the US), that it is best to leave your highest lofted wedge at home.

Is this sound advice? I carry a 64 and it is one of the most reliable clubs in my bag...what would I replace it with?

You will still need to hit lofted shots around the greens and from deep bunkers. I would take the same clubs you play over here. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 7/13/2022 at 12:46 PM, coolcucumber_1 said:

So just got to London from Dublin, cannot even say in words what playing these courses meant.

To top it all off, while we were on the 9th green @ Ballybunion Tiger and Rory came down in a chopper for their practice round.....absolute unreal experience which i cannot still believe.

Tiger actually said Hey Guys.......and that was it ...nothing will ever top it off.

Will be posting some pics shortly once i am back stateside.

Did you have any baggage issues in Dublin?

20 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Did you have any baggage issues in Dublin?

I didn't but a friend is still waiting for his clubs which disappeared on the way in.

Basically direct flights are best bets, if you have stop overs then pray. I have pics from the Dublin airport and its not pretty how much luggage is piled up there.

4 hours ago, coolcucumber_1 said:

I didn't but a friend is still waiting for his clubs which disappeared on the way in.

Basically direct flights are best bets, if you have stop overs then pray. I have pics from the Dublin airport and its not pretty how much luggage is piled up there.

Where did you fly into Dublin from? We are going direct from O’hare but I don’t want to take a risk with my clubs if they are not showing up.

1 hour ago, Mandatory Golf Friday said:

I am also traveling direct from Ohare to Dublin in about a month & so far planning to check my sticks... I have seen some posts about throwing a tile tracker on the golf bag, which I will definitely try.  

I’m definitely going with air tags as well. I’m thinking the biggest issue is with flights to and from England seem to be the main issue. Like you I’m planning on checking my clubs too. But let us know how it goes when you arrive in Ireland.

6 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I’m definitely going with air tags as well. I’m thinking the biggest issue is with flights to and from England seem to be the main issue. Like you I’m planning on checking my clubs too. But let us know how it goes when you arrive in Ireland.

Trip is coming up in mid August.  I will gladly provide an update after my experience.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandatory Golf Friday said:

I am also traveling direct from Ohare to Dublin in about a month & so far planning to check my sticks... I have seen some posts about throwing a tile tracker on the golf bag, which I will definitely try.  

Sorry - aren't those trackers bluetooth only; thus making it that you have to be within 100 feet or less?  Or is there some other product that does something different?  Thanks

50 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Live look at Edinburgh!

7B7892C4-4ED5-4E8D-9F59-347260EAFA92.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Live look at Edinburgh!

7B7892C4-4ED5-4E8D-9F59-347260EAFA92.jpeg

Ouch!

I just boarded the non-stop to Dublin…the Air Tags say the clubs/bags are nearby…flight cancellation unlikely…now I am pumped!

next stop, Ballybunion!

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

1 hour ago, njlam said:

I just boarded the non-stop to Dublin…the Air Tags say the clubs/bags are nearby…flight cancellation unlikely…now I am pumped!

next stop, Ballybunion!

Have a great trip!

Arrived safely in Dublin (direct flight is the way to go) and happy to report all is well with one exception.

The one member of our group who connected thru Heathrow is missing his clubs. He flew American to London and used Airlingus to connect to Dublin.

Neither airline knows where his bag is (he didn't use Air Tags as suggested). Apparently the baggage handlers do not work for the airlines, but for the airport

To add insult to injury, so many golf bags have been lost, not all of our courses guarantee they will have rentals.

The Air Tags idea is a good one as my buddy has no idea where his clubs are, or who to call to look for them.

However there is one issue with the AIr Tags...there is a delay when they update. When I landed in Dublin and turned my phone back on, it looked like my bags were still in Chicago....took about 20 minutes to update.

• Like 1

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400

29 minutes ago, njlam said:

Arrived safely in Dublin (direct flight is the way to go) and happy to report all is well with one exception.

The one member of our group who connected thru Heathrow is missing his clubs. He flew American to London and used Airlingus to connect to Dublin.

Neither airline knows where his bag is (he didn't use Air Tags as suggested). Apparently the baggage handlers do not work for the airlines, but for the airport

To add insult to injury, so many golf bags have been lost, not all of our courses guarantee they will have rentals.

The Air Tags idea is a good one as my buddy has no idea where his clubs are, or who to call to look for them.

However there is one issue with the AIr Tags...there is a delay when they update. When I landed in Dublin and turned my phone back on, it looked like my bags were still in Chicago....took about 20 minutes to update.

It was pretty much a guarantee your buddies clubs weren’t going to arrive connecting through London…. Did he not know the situation, or just not listen to advice? Glad to hear no issues with your clubs. Have a great trip!

23 hours ago, hammergolf said:

It was pretty much a guarantee your buddies clubs weren’t going to arrive connecting through London…. Did he not know the situation, or just not listen to advice? Glad to hear no issues with your clubs. Have a great trip!

He had booked his air way in advance, and once all the problems became known it was too late to change.

I think the real problem is Heathrow. Direct from the US to Dublin flights have had no baggage problems. Haven't heard any Shipsticks problems either.

My friend still doesn't have his clubs and there is no one to call. American doesn't show the clubs, neither does Airlingus. The connection was at Heathrow.

At Ballybunion today, he offered to buy his rentals (full Titleist bag) and they said they couldn't sell them because of shortages.

Separately, Ballybunion was fantastic and despite birdieing #15 and parring #6, #8, and #13, I didn't break 100 (10 index). Lots of wind and I added a ball to the cemetary collection.

So far, long pants only; it doesn't look like shorts will be needed at all.

Waterville tomorrow!

Edited by njlam
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, njlam said:

He had booked his air way in advance, and once all the problems became known it was too late to change.

I think the real problem is Heathrow. Direct from the US to Dublin flights have had no baggage problems. Haven't heard any Shipsticks problems either.

My friend still doesn't have his clubs and there is no one to call. American doesn't show the clubs, neither does Airlingus. The connection was at Heathrow.

At Ballybunion today, he offered to buy his rentals (full Titleist bag) and they said they couldn't sell them because of shortages.

Separately, Ballybunion was fantastic and despite birdieing #15 and paring #6, #8, and #13, I didn't break 100 (10 index). Lots of wind and I added a ball to the cemetary collection.

So far, long pants only; it doesn't look like short will be needed at all.

Waterville tomorrow!

I have a friend in Limerick who may be able to help him buy a used set. Let me know if interested. Glad you enjoyed Ballybunion. The last 12 holes are tough….

Thanks, but I think my friend is accepting that his clubs are lost for this trip. His liked his rentals at Ballybunion (Titleist) much better than the ones at Waterville (TM).

Waterville was a completely different feel compared with Ballybunion. Very high end (many helicopters) and very playable, it was a joy compared to Bally's unique robustness.

I loved them both for different reasons.

Played much better (90) with a birdie at 7 and pars at 1, 5, & 13. Hard to putt well on a first time visit. Would definitely play both again.

The global shortage in human resources is present in Ireland and the best one can expect is double bagged caddies (if that).

Lahinch today. Looks like rain...

Edited by njlam
  • Like 3

No rain at Lahinch. Very nice course and I am sure many of the blind shots there inspired some of the holes at Bandon (#10 at Preserve and #16 at Old Mac immediately come to mind).

Fatigue is becoming a factor as I did not play well, however a birdie at #7 and pars at #1, #5 and #13 made the day worthwhile.

Had a very sunny day yesterday at County Sligo (shorts weather), but it was one of those days where it was like i forgot how to play golf. Depsite pars at #11, #12 and #18, there were 6 lost balls (and young eagle-eyed caddies). Probably need a massage...

FYI, this was the first, but hopefully not the last, course we had individual caddies. A welcome convenience!

Sligo was a wonderful property that is a little off the beaten path. While I did not play well, I had a great time. Frankly, it is on the same level as Ballybunion, Waterville and Lahinch.

Portstewart today. Looks like shorts weather. Northern Ireland is really beautiful.

Edited by njlam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, njlam said:

No rain at Lahinch. Very nice course and I am sure many of the blind shots inspired some of the holes at Bandon (#10 at Preserve and #16 at Old Mac immediately come to mind.

Fatigue is becoming a factor as I did not play well, however a birdie at #7 and pars at #1, #5 and #13 made the day worthwhile.

Had a very sunny day yesterday at County Sligo (shorts weather), but it was one of those days where it was like i forgot how to play golf. Depsite pars at #11, #12 and #18, there were 6 lost balls (and young eagle eyed caddies). Probably need a massage...

FYI, this was the first, but hopefully not the last course we had individual caddies. A welcome convenience!

Sligo was a wonderful property that is a little off the beaten path. While I did not play well, I had a great time. Frankly, it is on the same level as Ballybunion, Waterville and Lahinch.

Portstewart today. Looks like shorts weather. Northern Ireland is really beautiful.

Did you see the goats at Lahinch? Birdie on #7 is nice, such a cool second shot to that green with the ocean in the background. Good to hear you put County Sligo on the same level as Bally and Lahinch. I’ll be playing Sligo in a couple months. Great to hear you’re getting some great weather.

Goats at Lahinch, hares at Waterville, cemetary at Ballybunion…all as advertised.

• Like 2

Beautiful sunny day at Portstewart.

The global human resources crisis continues as there were no caddies available for our group (that was reserved years in advance). Fortunately, they found two forecaddies for us. Navigating the course without one would have been impossible. An exciting track. Makes me appreciate Old Mac back home more...

While we have played five courses so far, it is hard to pick one over the other. Sort of like trying to pick which of Charlies Angel's is the prettiest.

Unfortunately today's round continued my poor play from County Sligo (only three pars, 5 lost balls)...perhaps I am drinking too much whiskey....

A rest day tomorrow, then the Royals...

Edited by njlam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, njlam said:

Beautiful sunny day at Portstewart.

The global human resources crisis continues as there were no caddies available for our group (that was reserved years in advance). Fortunately, they found two forecaddies for us. Navigating the course without one would have been impossible. An exciting track. Makes me appreciate Old Mac back home more...

While we have played five courses so far, it is hard to pick one over the other. Sort of like trying to pick which of Charlies Angel's is the prettiest.

Unfortunately today's round continued my poor play from County Sligo (only three pars, 5 lost balsso...perhaps I am drinking too much whiskey....

A rest day tomorrow, then the Royals...

Switch to Guinness….. 

Rest day today, however a friend flew in from JFK via Manchester to Belfast to join us at Royal Portrush tmw and RCD on Monday and his clubs did not arrive...

It you have a connecting flight, it is better the buy your clubs a seat...

While the prior five courses were all beautiful and playable, Royal Portrush was a cut above. The golf course was Open quality (obviously) and the operations and experience were fantastic.

They have a six hole par-3 course available if you get there early and want to warm up (in addition to a driving range).

Most importantly, we had 8 caddies for 8 players. This really helped in looking for lost balls. Unfortunately, my golf game remains on Pacific time, however I was able to manage a birdie on #2, and pars at #8 and #13 (sinking a 50 ft putt after escaping from the sand).

As we were leaving, we noticed there was a parking spot for The Open champion with a very fancy SUV parked in the space. This was the last car parked in the lot and we wondered if Darren Clark (RP is his home course) was in the club house. It was then we heard the helicopter rotors, and we watched a helicopter land near the green of the first hole of the par 3 course.

Daren Clark and his family got off the aircraft and his entourage walked towards the parking lot. The man carries his own bags. We congratulated him on his recent Senior Open win.

Today is our last day, RCD will be the cherry on top.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, njlam said:

While the prior five courses were all beautiful and playable, Royal Portrush was a cut above. The golf course was Open quality (obviously) and the operations and experience were fantastic.

They have a six hole par-3 course available if you get there early and want to warm up (in addition to a driving range).

Most importantly, we had 8 caddies for 8 players. This really helped in looking for lost balls. Unfortunately, my golf game remains on Pacific time, however I was able to manage a birdie on #2, and pars at #8 and #13 (sinking a 50 ft putt after escaping from the sand).

As we were leaving, we noticed there was a parking spot for The Open champion with a very fancy SUV parked in the space. This was the last car parked in the lot and we wondered if Darren Clark (RP is his home course) was in the club house. It was then we heard the helicopter rotors, and we watched a helicopter land near the green of the first hole of the par 3 course.

Daren Clark and his family got off the aircraft and his entourage walked towards the parking lot. The man carries his own bags. We congratulated him on his recent Senior Open win.

Today is our last day, RCD will be the cherry on top.

Awesome trip! Counting the days till my trip in October.

We had our only day of rain for RCD. 

Our round was in the afternoon, and when we woke up, it was a glorious day. We thought we might have beat the odds, but it was not to be.

The round started with overcast skies and strong winds and by the 8th hole we were in full rain gear with hats that had lanyards to hold them on our heads to spite the wind.

RCD, like RP, was a cut above the other courses we played in Ireland, which is not a dig against Ballybunion/Waterville/Lahinch/Sligo/Portstewart, but rather an appreciation of how good the Royals were. I could play at either of these every day.

Our trip to Ireland has come to an end and we are in the Dublin airport awaiting our flight. This was a trip that was planned over two years ago and it exceeded expectations.

The tour operator Traveling the Fairways was excellent and I would recommend without hesitation.

Almost all of us who went to Ireland will be on a similar trip to Scotland next year. 

I look forward to sharing/exchanging travelling tips (Air Tags are a must) with everyone as that trip approaches.

• Like 3

Arrived home yesterday. The rain at RCD was pretty heavy so the golf bag was pretty soggy. Fortunately the bag and the wet clothes just made it under the weight limit.

The Dublin to Chicago flight was delayed so our luggage/bags didn't make the connection (I knew this because of the Air Tags), but has I had already played a lot of golf I did not care when the clubs arrived (they were delivered before I woke up this morning).

As I mentioned early, while the trip to Ireland was epic and once in a lifetime (at least until Scotland next year), I did not play well as my driver was spraying it everywhere but straight (driver has historically been the most consistent part of my game).

I went to the range today to work things out, but the driver was still bad. Our pro noticed my troubles and asked to see my driver, and pointed out that the adapter for my G425 was cracked and not only it was likely I would be spraying it, I would also be much shorter.

It was nice to find a reason for my poor play (and dozens of lost balls). I guess I have to find a way back to Ireland to show them how well I can hit it.

• Like 2