Arccos

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

i have been pondering this question myself, if i should get a subscription. At first thought, it feels like a lot of money per year, but if i think about all the dumb sh*t i buy for golf regularly, it doesn't seem so bad lol. 

I got it after golfing with a random person who had it and was talking it up. It works okay, you usually have to edit a shot here and there. Assuming all the sensors still work after the winter I’ll keep it going I think.

Every time I've had a sensor fail Arccos has sent me one free of charge. I just sent them a message on the website. After playing indoors alI winter I did a check/inventory of mine and five were bad. They sent me five new ones. That's when I was still using screw-in sensors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi2 9.0° | Bridgestone Tour B JGR 7w

PING G425 Crossover 2i

PING G425 4i-9i

PING Glide 3.0 46, 50, 54 Eye 2, 58.6 | Mizuno OMOI 02

9 hours ago, dodint said:

Every time I've had a sensor fail Arccos has sent me one free of charge. I just sent them a message on the website. After playing indoors alI winter I did a check/inventory of mine and five were bad. They sent me five new ones. That's when I was still using screw-in sensors. 

I just did it 3 dead, 1 was the putter which may have been like that for awhile considering the editing I had to do. Thanks again and hopefully I get some new ones in shortly

I think it’s worth it from the perspective of giving you actual feedback of your goal. If you want to lower handicap 3 strokes over the season you will see how each round your game fared compared to that type of player. It emphasizes where your strengths are and where there are areas you can improve. There will be shots you’ll need to edit but I’ll say the caddie link is great at helping to avoid this. For me it gave me insight on how much I get to work on my wedge short game control to hit more GIR. i knew it wasn’t a strength but I figured up and downs or putting was worse when in reality my putting has been good for the most part. Also I sometimes thought being wild off the tee on a bad day was my weakness but my distance I hit it makes up for any accuracy and the occasional penalty stroke. It’s worth the free trial for sure to get an idea of where you are losing strokes compared to your goal and what an actual x handicap looks like. 

• Like 1

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

I like it and think it's worth it. Also nice they stand behind their hardware if things go wrong, I think they're at the point where the membership is worth more than the hardware so they have no issue replacing sensors if they go bad. 

With that said I should do a check of my sensors. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I asked the if having five sensors fail over the winter is an unusually high failure rate. They dodged the question and just sent me five sensors. 😆

PING G425 Crossover 2i

PING G425 4i-9i

I played in two indoor leagues over the winter. Not sure if that extra jostling combined with the transport through the temperature extremes made a difference. Eventually I ended up just taking them off the clubs and putting them back on in the spring.

PING G425 Crossover 2i

PING G425 4i-9i

• 1 month later...

I don’t use an Apple Watch but just an IPhone and the link. It will disconnect and not reconnect with the app, randomly without shutting off. I use a Garmin watch for the generic distances and was just using Arccos for the metrics. Also for more precise measurements on some holes and sometimes the caddie. So it’s not a huge loss for me to give up on it. I may just be annoyed enough to complain/ask about it now because it happened today haha.

I have a Cobra driver and 3-wood that came with the Cobra Connect (Arccos) sensors. I guess if I'd not used Arccos way back as an early adopter the built-in sensors might have tempted me to try it.

But at the current subscription pricing, if you weren't already seriously interested in Arccos already it's probably not something you ought to get tempted into. To get any real good out of Arccos takes gathering a lot of shots over quite a few rounds. So it's going to be a serious investment of money (subscription) and time (fiddling with gettting it all working, learning how to edit the omitted shots and wrong positions). 

Getting a "free" sensor or set of sensors isn't really sufficient reason to jump into the deep end of tracking your golf shots. It would be like getting to take one course for free at a university when you sign up for a four-year degree program. 

18 hours ago, capking said:

Did any of you guys use the “link” ? I think I’m giving up on it after it screwed up 4 holes in. I have another month before I can cancel my subscription, I’ll give the phone only a try till then.

Here's the thing with Arccos .... because I'm in the camp of "Love". The Caddie feature is unreal, yes there are plenty of free GPS apps out there. The difference is the the wind/slope/temp yardages, which have been absolutely spot on. I use the Link with watch. I rarely get my gun out anymore. And generally look at my phone only if I want to see coverage of hazards, etc. I tend to edit my rounds after the fact and they are pretty good for the most part, only making minor changes.

Arccos also seems to be constantly updating their tech (new Link, smaller putter sensors) etc. They just hired Jimmy Dunne (President of Seminole GC, acclaimed amateur golfer, Bank CEO) as Chairman of the board. That tells me two things, one they're moving in the direction of everyday golfers and not just with their current "fanatic" golfer who loves stats. Two they want it to be seamless. Phones aren't allowed at Seminole for obvious reasons. You don't think Mr. Dunne is not going to have Arccos on his clubs??? I'm guessing Link G3 will solve the missed shots and hopeful they start to develop a larger relationship with Golf Pride/Lamkin and creating cheaper integrated grips. I think the caddie feature alone is worth the money. But why I'm keeping Arccos is what they're going to become. 

I've told everyone and anyone if you want to know more about your game, along with having better yardages in real time on the course, get Arccos. Most people have zero understanding of their yardages or comprehension of wind/slope. And outside my really good golfer friend group. Everyone just hits driver off the tee and hit's their stock yardage into the green without an understanding of wind or temp or strategy. If I was a teaching pro, I'd try to get in with Arccos and give it to everyone of my students it's that solid. If anything Arccos needs to update their marketing strategy because it should be the number one gift for every golfer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dr: Ping G410 LST (9.0) - Aldila Tour Green ATX65-3.9s

3W: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (14.0) - Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ 6s

5W: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero JDM (17.0) - Graphite Design Tour AD-SZ 8s

4i: Titleist T200 - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95s

5i-PW: Titleist T100s - Tour AMT White S300

GW: Vokey SM9 (48) - Tour AMT White S400

SW: Vokey SM9 (53) - Tour AMT White S400

LW: Vokey SM9 (58) - Tour AMT White S400

P: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant

10 minutes ago, ChickenHead415 said:

Here's the thing with Arccos .... because I'm in the camp of "Love". The Caddie feature is unreal, yes there are plenty of free GPS apps out there. The difference is the the wind/slope/temp yardages, which have been absolutely spot on. I use the Link with watch. I rarely get my gun out anymore. And generally look at my phone only if I want to see coverage of hazards, etc. I tend to edit my rounds after the fact and they are pretty good for the most part, only making minor changes.

Arccos also seems to be constantly updating their tech (new Link, smaller putter sensors) etc. They just hired Jimmy Dunne (President of Seminole GC, acclaimed amateur golfer, Bank CEO) as Chairman of the board. That tells me two things, one they're moving in the direction of everyday golfers and not just with their current "fanatic" golfer who loves stats. Two they want it to be seamless. Phones aren't allowed at Seminole for obvious reasons. You don't think Mr. Dunne is not going to have Arccos on his clubs??? I'm guessing Link G3 will solve the missed shots and hopeful they start to develop a larger relationship with Golf Pride/Lamkin and creating cheaper integrated grips. I think the caddie feature alone is worth the money. But why I'm keeping Arccos is what they're going to become. 

I've told everyone and anyone if you want to know more about your game, along with having better yardages in real time on the course, get Arccos. Most people have zero understanding of their yardages or comprehension of wind/slope. And outside my really good golfer friend group. Everyone just hits driver off the tee and hit's their stock yardage into the green without an understanding of wind or temp or strategy. If I was a teaching pro, I'd try to get in with Arccos and give it to everyone of my students it's that solid. If anything Arccos needs to update their marketing strategy because it should be the number one gift for every golfer. 

Thanks, I probably won’t buy an Apple Watch just for Arccos, but it appears from the various threads on here that the link works best with it. I’ll use my phone tomorrow, it doesn’t bother me to keep my phone in my pocket. 
I like the stats aspect to it and that’s what kinda sold me on it when I 1st seen it on a playing partners clubs. I like the caddie as well, especially the preview view before a round at a new course. Hopefully no issues with phone only.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:33 PM, ChickenHead415 said:

I appreciate your perspective and agree in theory with your speculation about Arccos’ future. There are still some major barriers in my opinion. First, the experience today is not quite seamless and I don’t know many golfers, even avid ones, that would invest the time correcting shots in an app following each round. I think that commitment is for golfers who are seeking a specific improvement in their scores/handicap vs. those that play mainly for enjoyment. Second, I think Arccos is costly for the average engaged golfer between the sensors, Link, and subscription. You could definitely argue that it’s a fair value if you want to lower your scores, relative to buying new equipment. 

I believe I fit into the target audience for Arccos and I would be willing to pay for the product. However, I found it distracting during my rounds to ensure the correct stat tracking and I already do a pretty good job considering slope/wind/etc. when I play, so it wasn’t adding a ton of value for me. I was most interested in the Strokes Gained data, but found that I was spending too much time correcting shot data to keep using it. That said, I agree that Arccos is onto something in terms of the insights & caddie feature. It wouldn’t surprise me if Arccos becomes more mainstream in a few years when it is a bit more of an Apple-esque product experience. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

On 5/31/2022 at 5:49 PM, capking said:

Thanks, I probably won’t buy an Apple Watch just for Arccos, but it appears from the various threads on here that the link works best with it. I’ll use my phone tomorrow, it doesn’t bother me to keep my phone in my pocket. 
I like the stats aspect to it and that’s what kinda sold me on it when I 1st seen it on a playing partners clubs. I like the caddie as well, especially the preview view before a round at a new course. Hopefully no issues with phone only.

Arccos worked perfect not using the Link today, clearly the issue. 

6 hours ago, zap311 said:

I appreciate your perspective and agree in theory with your speculation about Arccos’ future. There are still some major barriers in my opinion. First, the experience today is not quite seamless and I don’t know many golfers, even avid ones, that would invest the time correcting shots in an app following each round. I think that commitment is for golfers who are seeking a specific improvement in their scores/handicap vs. those that play mainly for enjoyment. Second, I think Arccos is costly for the average engaged golfer between the sensors, Link, and subscription. You could definitely argue that it’s a fair value if you want to lower your scores, relative to buying new equipment. 

I believe I fit into the target audience for Arccos and I would be willing to pay for the product. However, I found it distracting during my rounds to ensure the correct stat tracking and I already do a pretty good job considering slope/wind/etc. when I play, so it wasn’t adding a ton of value for me. I was most interested in the Strokes Gained data, but found that I was spending too much time correcting shot data to keep using it. That said, I agree that Arccos is onto something in terms of the insights & caddie feature. It wouldn’t surprise me if Arccos becomes more mainstream in a few years when it is a bit more of an Apple-esque product experience. 

I completely agree with your comments about using Arccos to gather data for analytics. Like all the other GPS based shot trackers, the time and attention commitment needed to produce reliably accurate data makes it suitable only for pretty hard-core analytics-oriented golfers. And the expense really adds up given the current subscription rates, not to mention the up-front cost of the Link which I assume most people would want. 

But ChickenHead415 may have correctly identified where Arccos's potential growth market lies. It is not with hard-core analytics nerds (like me) who are going to clean the data after every round and who insist on reliable analytics data. They are probably going to really double-down on the in-round usage of Caddie and similar features (probably including real-time social media type integration at some point) in the future.

I hate to be snarky, but the type of golfer who wants an app to tell him what club to pull in real time before hitting a shot is very different than the type of golfer who wants his Strokes Gained data to be based on actual pin positions, first putt lengths, lies, etc. Their basic platform is never going to be other than what it is today from a Strokes Gained data perspective. For instance they are never going to be able to gain the ability to automatically know an "Obstructed" or "Recovery" shot from one simply in "Rough". And using GPS they are never going to be able to reliably distinguish between a 3-foot first putt and a 10-foot first putt length. 

But there's probably a growth opportunity among those who want to just let the data accumulate with no checking and correcting and who are focused on Caddie recommendations, sharing shot-by-shot tracking on social media or with friends, reliving or recreating rounds afterwards on a nice satellite map, etc. All the real time gee-whiz features. I suspect wanting tie-ins to places to Seminole is a part of a rebranding to make this a high-end experience enhancement rather than an analytics-geek tool. 

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 1

outside of the caddie feature a lot of the info arccos tracks you can actually track yourself. I remember in an older thread someone mentioning a free app that does the same thing except you have to manually add everything as you go. To be fair, i was an early adopter so i'm grandfathered in where I don't pay a subscription fee BUT i would probably pay the fee if they ever switch me off. Their customer service has been excellent. I've received almost a complete set worth of replacement sensors due to dead batteries. The caddie suggestions do help when i actually follow them. I also like being able to go through my past rounds as well as seeing where i need improvement. My only regret so far is i didn't buy the Link when it was first offered to subscribers before they released it to retail (i think they were selling it for $59?)

Short answer - yes it's worth it but only if you'll use it every time you play, and with all clubs 

Longer answer - it's worth it if you use it with all cluhd because it will tell you where you really struggle and where you are good. Today I shot +1 over 9 and didn't sink any putts. Normally I'd say ah man I putted bad, but the reality is I gained strokes putting because I didn't 3 putt and I had one putt of over 65ft that I got down in 2. I always thought I was okay with irons but turns out it was my worst area of my game and I made up for it with longer than average length off tee and decent game inside 50 yards. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 3:03 PM, Z1ggy16 said:

Short answer - yes it's worth it but only if you'll use it every time you play, and with all clubs 

Longer answer - it's worth it if you use it with all cluhd because it will tell you where you really struggle and where you are good. Today I shot +1 over 9 and didn't sink any putts. Normally I'd say ah man I putted bad, but the reality is I gained strokes putting because I didn't 3 putt and I had one putt of over 65ft that I got down in 2. I always thought I was okay with irons but turns out it was my worst area of my game and I made up for it with longer than average length off tee and decent game inside 50 yards. 

+1 to this. Great description of whats great about Arccos

On 6/1/2022 at 11:33 PM, zap311 said:

Once you get a routine established it takes only about 10 minutes to edit a round. maybe less even. There is no questions you'll need to do editing after the round.  I take a scorecard for my pocket and write my putt distances down as thats the part thats harder to be exact about after the round. Certainly Arccos wont be for everyone. Can definitley understand it being perceived as a distraction. My approach is to turn my Link on when i walk to the course, then start it on the first tee, and forget it until after the round, except for writing down my putt distances, as mentioned. I can do the editing right after the round or anytime later on really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbanksp said:

Once you get a routine established it takes only about 10 minutes to edit a round. maybe less even. There is no questions you'll need to do editing after the round.  I take a scorecard for my pocket and write my putt distances down as thats the part thats harder to be exact about after the round. Certainly Arccos wont be for everyone. Can definitley understand it being perceived as a distraction. My approach is to turn my Link on when i walk to the course, then start it on the first tee, and forget it until after the round, except for writing down my putt distances, as mentioned. I can do the editing right after the round or anytime later on really. 

That all sounds about right but only works (or only works well) if your memory is good enough to notice when it puts a shot from the rough in a fairway bunker or stuff like that. But the main record keeping is flag position (which ideally you'd want to edit pretty close to correct for getting chip/pitch/bunker distances right) and most important of all first putt distances.

I bailed on Arccos and other GPS based devices because a) I'm not all that interested in scatterplots of missed shot tendencies and b) I'm not willing to deal with the devices AND the subscription fees AND having to track a bunch of information on my own and edit it in later. I guess it just manifests my inner cheapskate. If something's going to cost that much money it ought to be truly automatic and not still require me to keep shots in my memory or on a piece of paper!

I play with a few guys who seem to have no specific memory of their shots after the round. They will be trying to check the scorecard after the round (when settling bets) and ask the others in the foursome, "Did I make par or bogey on 16?". It kind of boggles my mind they can't recall they missed the green 10 yards short, chipped it six feet past the hole and lipped out the par putt. I can remember every shot for them just because I happened to be playing with.

For guys like that getting decent data out of Arccos would be completely impractical. They'd end up using the raw data with no corrections at all. Of course those aren't the kinds of guys interested in analytics in the first place!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After using them for half a season, a few thoughts: 1. the number of shots that need to be edited is quite large (almost one per hole); and I DO use the Link on my belt. I found it to be quite a distraction - messing with it after each hole. 2. deleting uncharacteristic shots (you hook one out of bounds, etc) and editing them, is difficult. 3. If you take a few notes during the rounds, you can easily create a spreadsheet at home to track your misses, tendencies - this is what I have chosen to do. 4. I think it may be of great benefit to the higher handicap player who has not played for long or really doesn't know club distances, etc (I am 1.5 currently and I did not learn anything I didn't already know about distances). 

Overall, for the cost of Link (~ 120) and annual membership, it is a decent way to track your game. But if you don't like to be distracted during the round (you could do it after, but I'd rather enjoy a cold brew), and you are a better play that knows your game pretty well, I don't think it is worth the cost and hassle. My home course now has a GPS function on their app so that if I want to see exact distances, I can (tee to ball in fairway or mark on green, plus roll out etc; with Arccos, you only get total distance). On a side note, the sensors seem to work fairly well and are non-intrusive. Anyway, hope that is helpful to anyone interested. 

• Like 2

Ping G Driver, 9 degree; Fujikura Speeder Evolution 2 569 Stiff; 44.75"
Ping G 14.5 degree 3 metal; UST Mayima Tour Black Stiff 69
Ping G 19 degree hybrid; UST Mayima Tour Black Stiff 79
Ping S55 5-PW, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping i210 4 iron, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54 and 58 degree, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping Anser Milled #3
Bridgestone B330RX Tour

The data and insights you get from Arccos is worth any extra hassle of editing shots or taking out your phone. I check it after every hole and make adjustments if it messed up. Takes 30 seconds max. It's not a big deal. 

The strokes gained data and club yardages are invaluable for any serious golfer who wants to improve. I wanna know what I did well and didn't do well. Perception isn't always reality, as another poster indicated. You think you didn't make anything, so you assume you putted poorly which may not necessarily be the case. 

The yardages are great. I know exactly how far each club goes and I'm able to make accurate clubbing decisions. There's no BS, or me lying to myself about how far I can hit this club or that club. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Gave my Gen 1 sensors a brand new set of batteries, synced everything up for a final try on making them work.  Much to my pleasant surprise, they didn’t miss a single shot this time over 27 holes.  They stay on double secret probation. Trick was wearing cargo shorts and putting my phone in the side pocket because I can’t stuff it in my front pocket and swing clubs.

I have it running alongside TheGrint for scorekeeping.

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball