2022 DIO Implant LA Open

22 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

Just curious, was there anything on Brooke, Danielle Kang, NYC, or Yaeeun Hong regarding last week's WD?  For some, maybe the injuries are still lingering and they plan to ease back into things by only playing two rounds this week...

How can you withdraw from an event with an injury and play the next week?

I guess its possible if the injury is just enough to affect their play but minor eg a muscle strain which heals just enough to play the next week?

However, I suspect that they just didn't fancy the conditions last week, weren't going to contend so took some time to sit on the beach. If so, doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 3

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, capking said:

Danielle Kang’s adidas golf outfits are bizarre, she always seems to wear track suits or possibly Pajamas 

They're sloppy and not proper golf attire imo and shouldn't be allowed, below pro standards.

DK should take a leaf out of say, Allison Lee's book who usually looks neat, classy and appropriate, as she did today.

Not a fan of the drop in clothing standards on both the LPGA/PGA tours that masquerade as 'fashion'.  Erik Van Rooyen's pants should be burned (not with him still wearing them).

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

48 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

They're sloppy and not proper golf attire imo and shouldn't be allowed, below pro standards.

DK should take a leaf out of say, Allison Lee's book who usually looks neat, classy and appropriate, as she did today.

Not a fan of the drop in clothing standards on both the LPGA/PGA tours that masquerade as 'fashion'.  Erik Van Rooyen's pants should be burned (not with him still wearing them).

1 hour ago, capking said:

Danielle Kang’s adidas golf outfits are bizarre, she always seems to wear track suits or possibly Pajamas 

Are these comments = specific to today R1... or generally speaking?

IMHO Didn't think Danielle Kang looked particularly sloppy during today's R1 clothing-wise

(whilst yes her golfing = arguably sloppy today, with her +1 during today's R1, with 3 bogeys and T48!)

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/dio-implant-la-open/leaderboard

====

Photo Link for today at DIO Impant LA Open: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/dio-implant-la-open-lpga

Danielle Kang photos: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/danielle-kang?family=editorial&assettype=image&sort=best&phrase=danielle kang&specificpeople=7088267

LPGA_Leaderboard_DanielleKang_LA-Open_Screenshot_2022-04-22_11AM.png

Edited by JungleJimbo

32 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Are these comments = specific to today R1... or generally speaking?

Generally speaking, she has taken to wearing sloppy hoodies and workout pants, first noticed them being worn by her last season.

Disliked her R1 outfit, similar thing.

I want to see more of this:

History of Women's Golf Dress or Fashion - Scottish Golf ...

Classic and barely a hint of skin on display, so appropriate.

What's the world coming to?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:10 AM, 8602081 said:

Gonna pick players I want to see do well..

Angel Yin

Lauren Stevenson

Su Oh

Hye-Jin Choi

Jin Young Ko

Yealimi Noh

Too many players I like..

Realistically,  Jin Young has the best chance.

Was interesting to see Jin Young Ko trying out a Callaway driver at this event & during R1. (Looks like a low-spin Triple Diamond version of the Rogue ST?)

Thought JYK has consistently been using a Titleist TSI3 driver for at least the past year? (Titleist TSI3= as recently as the Chevron/Dinah Shore).

(March 6, 2022) https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/jin-young-ko-witb/

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/jin-young-ko?family=editorial&assettype=image&phrase=Jin Young Ko&sort=best&specificpeople=14915858

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/jin-young-ko-of-south-korea-tees-off-the-11th-hole-during-news-photo/1392802469

jin-young-ko-of-south-korea-tees-off-the

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Shaming a woman for her choice in clothing?  Trying to control what a woman wears? You may want to reflect on how you're presenting yourself.  Classic misogynist behavior.

• Haha 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Looks like Brooke has kept her original shaft in her 3 wood. There was some talk as to whether she's cut down all her clubs, or just the driver.

brooke-henderson-of-canada-tees-off-the-

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The projected cut is currently at +2. It's been +2, +3, and +4 in the past three playings. The course is tough, but it's also consistent. It's nice to see fairway bunkers that actually play like hazards.

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

10 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

How can you withdraw from an event with an injury and play the next week?

I guess its possible if the injury is just enough to affect their play but minor eg a muscle strain which heals just enough to play the next week?

However, I suspect that they just didn't fancy the conditions last week, weren't going to contend so took some time to sit on the beach. If so, doesn't sit well with me.

Again, we're not in their heads so we don't really know if they were hurt ......... but, there are veteran moves, like Brooke WD'ing due to illness and not injury, everyone else WD'd with an injury lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

Again, we're not in their heads so we don't really know if they were hurt ......... but, there are veteran moves, like Brooke WD'ing due to illness and not injury, everyone else WD'd with an injury lol

Yeah, I can appreciate that, we're outsiders guessing and the pros play the real game and only they know the reality of their physical issues and experience gives smarts in playing the system.

Got to think that Brooke just might be keen to defend her title this week hence her withdrawal last week if there is a body problem, illness or other, categorisation of withdrawal or whatever.

I just expect the LPGA to do a decent check on behalf of their sponsors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Looks like Brooke has kept her original shaft in her 3 wood. There was some talk as to whether she's cut down all her clubs, or just the driver.

brooke-henderson-of-canada-tees-off-the-

3-wood would seem an easy place to start without much of an issue but I think the irons are the issue IMO.  Brooke was the one who mentioned it in an interview.  I wonder though, would the change be something you are transitioning to right now, or do you wait till the off-season or you get about a 3-4 week break.  Driver is easy, cause it's hit and go but even slight distance changes with other clubs whether 1 club at a time or all at once would probably take weeks to dial in.  I would also say, trying to adjust to hitting clubs new distances and getting used to the change, probably isn't something you can really try when you're playing the events each week during most stretches in the season.  Possibility also of wanting to do it but it will probably be the "one step back to take two steps forward" kinda deals and maybe wanting to wait till after the KPMG to start messing around

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Shaming a woman for her choice in clothing?  Trying to control what a woman wears? You may want to reflect on how you're presenting yourself.  Classic misogynist behavior.

Pro Golf, Men and Women have a dress code, it's just the LPGA that ignores it lol

also, you must be fun at parties 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Stooch said:

3-wood would seem an easy place to start without much of an issue but I think the irons are the issue IMO.  Brooke was the one who mentioned it in an interview.  I wonder though, would the change be something you are transitioning to right now, or do you wait till the off-season or you get about a 3-4 week break.  Driver is easy, cause it's hit and go but even slight distance changes with other clubs whether 1 club at a time or all at once would probably take weeks to dial in.  I would also say, trying to adjust to hitting clubs new distances and getting used to the change, probably isn't something you can really try when you're playing the events each week during most stretches in the season.  Possibility also of wanting to do it but it will probably be the "one step back to take two steps forward" kinda deals and maybe wanting to wait till after the KPMG to start messing around

I looked on PING's website and wonder if her grip on the driver is different now too (in addition to the shaft length)?  The grip tends to taper down (i.e. thinner) if you are gripping down the club.  Her other clubs show one additional wrap of tape which could have been there to help build up the thinkness.  Just one other thing that seems simple to change but may not be so when you've done something else a million times over.

From what I've read, I don't think gripping down was adding much of a counterbalance to the shaft/club.  I think it's trying to get the total weight and feel (which some may describe as swingweight) all in balance.  And just the mental thing of it "feels odd" even if it should be the same (from a technical perspective).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

I looked on PING's website and wonder if her grip on the driver is different now too (in addition to the shaft length)?  The grip tends to taper down (i.e. thinner) if you are gripping down the club.  Her other clubs show one additional wrap of tape which could have been there to help build up the thinkness.  Just one other thing that seems simple to change but may not be so when you've done something else a million times over.

From what I've read, I don't think gripping down was adding much of a counterbalance to the shaft/club.  I think it's trying to get the total weight and feel (which some may describe as swingweight) all in balance.  And just the mental thing of it "feels odd" even if it should be the same (from a technical perspective).

That is also another factor she also mentioned the weighting with the 46".  That would be another reason why it's tough to do during the season or at least with out a good break, you're gonna have to spend lots of time with the manufacture to dial it all in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RagnarD said:

To be fair, regarding DK's black sweatpants and hoodie, I was watching the end of the round on TV and my wife walked by and made an unsolicited comment on how ugly and un-golfer-like DK's clothes were. I told her it must be cold there. Or maybe DK's night job is being a cat burglar and knew she wouldn't have time to change before her shift.

You see the houses there, just saying! lol

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Is there some way that world ranking points reflect these tougher course conditions? If not, some players will skip this type of environment.

This course design is well suited to good golf and a top visual for us viewers but the poa greens always create an element of luck so add bad weather and you have a tough, unpredictable test.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Is there some way that world ranking points reflect these tougher course conditions? If not, some players will skip this type of environment.

This course design is well suited to good golf and a top visual for us viewers but the poa greens always create an element of luck so add bad weather and you have a tough, unpredictable test.

Yeah, great classic course and solid test, I don't remember the back half getting hammered this bad in previous events but it did seem a little more gusty than usual yesterday.  The Men really like this course back in the day but the PGA out grew the course long ago.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stooch said:

It was a weird one, not sure how to predict something like that, it's gotta be a jinx lol.  She had three 3-putts and a 5-putt that cost her 6 shots.  Switch putter and take the knowledge it can't possibly be worse tomorrow, to the next round I guess lol

How has Brooke adjusted to the shorter driver length?

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 4/19/2022 at 12:36 PM, 18majors said:

As of today. first reshuffle will help Bianca a lot if she moves up but won't hurt her too much if she stays.

Competition this year doesn't leave too many windows open for players behind Bianca to move ahead of her at the first reshuffle; only #141 Kelly Tan, #147 Allisen Corpuz and #149 Hinako Shibuno will move into "Current Year Top-80" category.

I was just looking at the LPGA Priority List. It doesn't specify when the 2 reshuffles are. Do you have any info on that?

19 minutes ago, gvogel said:

How has Brooke adjusted to the shorter driver length?

It seems fine with a few hick-up round in there.  She may have lost a few yards but if so I only think it will be short term.  She slots basically where she did with the 48" , longer than most of the  field every round but just a few yards behind the really long hitters.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tonyj5 said:

I was just looking at the LPGA Priority List. It doesn't specify when the 2 reshuffles are. Do you have any info on that?

@tonyj5 as someone who has appreciated your contributions to the forum (here and elsewhere eg your womensgolf website/ Toronto*)... i thought I’d Google it for you (to see what I could find wrt your questions on timing of the Priority List reshuffles)

see if this Link to the 2022 LPGA Players Handbook is useful (not sure it’s meant for the public!)

https://lpga.ocs-lpga.com/pmws-images/lpga/extranet/P3_File_5.pdf

Refer screenshot.
Mentions first reshuffle = Cognizant Founders Cup? (Which I think is May12-15)

4C68B98B-81C6-448C-9761-43885C08BDE5.png

A09856EA-CCD9-4136-A7C5-275D7A49505B.jpeg

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 4

Has anyone calculated Thitikul's scoring in early rounds vs later rounds of tournaments? Seems like she rarely gets off to hot starts but then improves during the tourney. My theory, not only is she a rookie, but she's probably just getting exposed to different kinds of courses and grasses and conditions vs where she learned to play, I'm guessing.

I haven't seen LPGA strokes gained stats the way they have for the PGA. What's her big strengths vs weaknesses? Fairly but not extremely long I think, above average approach accuracy, I don't think she's spectacular on short game or putting, but doesn't seem like a weakness either. And maybe she's still learning new kinds of greens and grasses?

4 strokes behind at the moment, she's a threat to sneak into the top 10 but seems like she waits for the weekend for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RagnarD said:

Has anyone calculated Thitikul's scoring in early rounds vs later rounds of tournaments? Seems like she rarely gets off to hot starts but then improves during the tourney. My theory, not only is she a rookie, but she's probably just getting exposed to different kinds of courses and grasses and conditions vs where she learned to play, I'm guessing.

I haven't seen LPGA strokes gained stats the way they have for the PGA. What's her big strengths vs weaknesses? Fairly but not extremely long I think, above average approach accuracy, I don't think she's spectacular on short game or putting, but doesn't seem like a weakness either. And maybe she's still learning new kinds of greens and grasses?

4 strokes behind at the moment, she's a threat to sneak into the top 10 but seems like she waits for the weekend for that.

In 7 tournaments this season she has averaged 71.86 in R1, 69.14 in R2, 69.57 in R3, and 68.17 in R4. 

Three stokes higher in the 1st round is pretty significant I'd say.

• Like 4