2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway TCB Irons

Golfballwackerguy17

The TCB was engineered for the following purposes:

1. Players that wanted an iron that looked like the '21 Apex MB from address but offered that little bit extra forgiveness.

2. X Forged CB has just a shade too much offset, blade length, bounce, sole thickness and topline thickness for some players to look down at. The differences in this department are very subtle, but they're unmistakably there.

• Like 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

The firmer feel is mostly sound I think. They have more of a “click” at impact than previous irons I’ve played. I ordered mine 2* flat and really struggled with them the first few rounds. I double checked the lies yesterday and each club was 4* flat. I’m embarrassed I couldn’t tell at address. I can’t wait to see how they perform now they’re like I ordered. 

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Pumped to hit mine. This community is fantastic, one of the readers hooked me up with a brand new set from his shop. Going to hit them today. From what I recall, click might be a little harsh. I feel like there a much better feeling than the apex pro… I play a chrome soft x, and the pairing makes it feel a little softer. About to go do a nice 2 hour range session in the rain. I’ll report back LOL. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8 Graphite Design VF 6x

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 plus TR Blue 8x 

7 wood: Titleist TSR2 Ventus TR Blue 9x

Irons: Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Project X 6.5
Wedges: Titleist SM9 50.08, 54.12, 60.10 - Project x 6.0

Putter: Lab Mezz Max TPT 44.5 79.5 Broomstick

Titleist Pro V1x-

Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Standard

5 hours ago, ga_pike said:

So I have the Forged CB's and they are awesome IMO but don't seem to get the love the Apex TCB's do.  Anyone have thoughts about this?  

Callaway screwed the release of them big time; same time as the new Apex line plus leaking the TCBs out to tour in the same timeframe. Everyone went for those two lines instead of the XForged. Tbh most people who bought the TCB because they were 'tour only' should have bought the XF but, a fool and his money and all that.

• Confused 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

13 hours ago, ga_pike said:

So I have the Forged CB's and they are awesome IMO but don't seem to get the love the Apex TCB's do.  Anyone have thoughts about this?  

i have the 18xforged/mb combo and they are amazing. I figured the new xforged was just as amazing.

Also... for the above post saying tcb is more firm... its crazy because callaway are tottaly capable of making soft/nice feeling irons but out of the many different irons from them i tried the past 6 years... more felt hard then soft. Particularly apex pro 19 steelhead xr and epic pro and its not just firm its almost as if the golf ball is made of rocks. Apex pro 19 felt sooo bad for a beatiful club. At least this was my experience. I bought a set with no elevate with the vvs in them so maybe that was the issue? But a iron head shouldnt need a shaft to make it feel great imo and im a callaway lover but they truly scare me iron wise. I would never be able to buy a set from them without hitting somewhere first. Mizuno you can pretty much just know it will at least feel decent no matter what.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:38 AM, Golfballwackerguy17 said:

Yea I chatted with the callaway rep yesterday and nothing in x stiff. Again through they were great to work with and we’re dealing on used sets like crazy 20-30 percent off. I know this is the new world we live in with supply chain issues across the board. Callaway also offered to re shaft used certified clubs for 245 plus re grip with stock grips for 5 dollars a club. Which is pretty solid deal… the shaft I want project x 6.5 is on back order until end of may. Most likely going to have to go this route. 

Thanks all! 

There is a set w PX 6.5 on eBay right now

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

18 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Callaway screwed the release of them big time; same time as the new Apex line plus leaking the TCBs out to tour in the same timeframe. Everyone went for those two lines instead of the XForged. Tbh most people who bought the TCB because they were 'tour only' should have bought the XF but, a fool and his money and all that.

They were released in the fall ahead of the most recent Apex line along with the most recent MB. Fall releases risk getting lost in the shuffle, and yes the TCB undercut the enthusiasm for them as well.

WITB Link

20 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

they’re out of stock until July, so I’d say from their perspective they got the release timing right to carry the demand forward 18 months.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Such a bummer. I am loving mine. Going to be hard to improve on them. 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8 Graphite Design VF 6x

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 plus TR Blue 8x 

7 wood: Titleist TSR2 Ventus TR Blue 9x

Irons: Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Project X 6.5
Wedges: Titleist SM9 50.08, 54.12, 60.10 - Project x 6.0

Putter: Lab Mezz Max TPT 44.5 79.5 Broomstick

Titleist Pro V1x-

Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Standard

3 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Seriously, new one?

Back ordered for another 6 weeks, but not discontinued…yet.

Most recent iteration of X Forged CB, however, is done.

WITB Link

37 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Back ordered for another 6 weeks, but not discontinued…yet.

Most recent iteration of X Forged CB, however, is done.

Cally told me today that they are back ordered until the end of September?  It wouldn’t be the first time they gave me wrong info…

Edited by TheMoneyShot

3 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Cally told me today that they are back ordered until the end of September?  It wouldn’t be the first time they gave me sting info…

Could always slip to the right again with the frail supply chain, but I’m seeing 19 Aug as date they expect to get TCB back in stock.

WITB Link

2 hours ago, DatDude7984 said:

Pretty sure Mr Wonder stated there would not be a new TCB this release. 

He's never going to confirm the imminent arrival of a new product until the official media embargo lifts.

J Dub has his dream job right now; would be a complete fool to sacrifice that for a drop of forum clout. Can't feed young kids with that either.

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Like 1

WITB Link

1 hour ago, bcflyguy1 said:

He's never going to confirm the imminent arrival of a new product until the official media embargo lifts.

J Dub has his dream job right now; would be a complete fool to sacrifice that for a drop of forum clout. Can't feed young kids with that either.

I don’t disagree, but when something is brewing he will say something along the lines of “what new wedges?” Or “what new iron” when there is something brewing. I almost bought some of these tcb and think they’re one of the best irons out there. Not sure that I’d want them to mess with them much but just going off with JW said. But you may be right. 

1 hour ago, BCC1898 said:

I'm just glad the TCB killed off the X Forged.  Hopefully, TCB will stay alive in whatever naming conventions they use going forward. 

Doubt that TCB killed off X Forged CB so much as it's been about 2 years since this XFCB model was released. Enough of the Callaway playing staff and customer base prefer the look and performance of XFCB (I'm one of them) to the TCB that I think there's room for both going forward. Will be interesting to see what happens and of course I could be wrong. The last XFCB and the MB with the weight screw in the back were a fall of '20 release, so we're still a few months away from fitting samples going out IF they're kept on a 24 month cycle. The iron model that TCB hurt much more was the MB, so I think if one those 3 lines goes away from retail I think that one is more likely to be done than XFCB.

13 minutes ago, DatDude7984 said:

I don’t disagree, but when something is brewing he will say something along the lines of “what new wedges?” Or “what new iron” when there is something brewing. I almost bought some of these tcb and think they’re one of the best irons out there. Not sure that I’d want them to mess with them much but just going off with JW said. But you may be right. 

I hear ya. It's also a bit early in cycle for a TCB revamp to begin to break cover. They didn't start to reveal themselves until early in '21, whereas the MB and XFCB were about 4 months ahead of it. The company has done 36 month cycles with Apex irons before since the '16 Apex and Apex Pro sold so well throughout their cycle, so we'll have to wait and see. Think the demand response to TCB has been well beyond the company's most optimistic expectations.

Edited by bcflyguy1

WITB Link

1 hour ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Doubt that TCB killed off X Forged CB so much as it's been about 2 years since this XFCB model was released. Enough of the Callaway playing staff and customer base prefer the look and performance of XFCB (I'm one of them) to the TCB that I think there's room for both going forward. Will be interesting to see what happens and of course I could be wrong. The last XFCB and the MB with the weight screw in the back were a fall of '20 release, so we're still a few months away from fitting samples going out IF they're kept on a 24 month cycle. The iron model that TCB hurt much more was the MB, so I think if one those 3 lines goes away from retail I think that one is more likely to be done than XFCB.

I hear ya. It's also a bit early in cycle for a TCB revamp to begin to break cover. They didn't start to reveal themselves until early in '21, whereas the MB and XFCB were about 4 months ahead of it. The company has done 36 month cycles with Apex irons before since the '16 Apex and Apex Pro sold so well throughout their cycle, so we'll have to wait and see. Think the demand response to TCB has been well beyond the company's most optimistic expectations.

I think the TCBs just prove that there is enough interest for Cally to release a “Tour” type iron to the masses moving forward.  Kind of wish Cally would make all of their tour heads available to the masses.  They could release them under their “Tour Authentic” line of clubs and make them a made to order type of  product.  I think it could be really successful for them and keep everyone wanting the exact same stuff from the tour trucks happy as well😃

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

I think the TCBs just prove that there is enough interest for Cally to release a “Tour” type iron to the masses moving forward.  Kind of wish Cally would make all of their tour heads available to the masses.  They could release them under their “Tour Authentic” line of clubs and make them a made to order type of  product.  I think it could be really successful for them and keep everyone wanting the exact same stuff from the tour trucks happy as well😃

Concur; TM getting away from Tour Preferred branding (and an all time great logo) has left a hole in the market that has gone vacant for a surprisingly long time.

• Like 2

WITB Link

Can't wait for a price drop on the originals in the Classifieds!

Ping G425 LST 10.5* OG Hzrdus Black 6.5 70g

Exotics EX10 Beta TI 15* Hzrdus Black 6.5 70g 

Cobra Radspeed Tour 19* Hzrdus Black 6.5 80g

Callaway Apex MB ‘18 / Apex Pro Dot 4-P DG TI X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack Raw 50F, 56F, 60 FF DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5  35"/71*/4*

16 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Right - I feel the TCBs fit that t100 slot titleist has... Not a blade, but a tour iron that a ton of their staff can go to if they want less offset than the rest of their line and a touch of forgiveness.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5* OG Hzrdus Black 6.5 70g

Exotics EX10 Beta TI 15* Hzrdus Black 6.5 70g 

Cobra Radspeed Tour 19* Hzrdus Black 6.5 80g

Callaway Apex MB ‘18 / Apex Pro Dot 4-P DG TI X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack Raw 50F, 56F, 60 FF DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5  35"/71*/4*

There are not many irons in the same class as the TCB,  traditional lofts with minimal offset but still provide a little forgiveness.
TCB
Titleist T100
Taylormade p7MC

For me it came down between the TCB and the T100, and I went with the TCB, but could have easily gone with the T100.  

Its my ideal category of irons, I'm not ready to move into the stronger lofted players distance irons yet.  (mainly due to ego).  

I will say the TCB seem to be wearing faster than I expected, its mostly just cosmetic but I found it interesting.

3 hours ago, Brizam said:

There are not many irons in the same class as the TCB,  traditional lofts with minimal offset but still provide a little forgiveness.
TCB
Titleist T100
Taylormade p7MC

For me it came down between the TCB and the T100, and I went with the TCB, but could have easily gone with the T100.  

Its my ideal category of irons, I'm not ready to move into the stronger lofted players distance irons yet.  (mainly due to ego).  

I will say the TCB seem to be wearing faster than I expected, its mostly just cosmetic but I found it interesting.

I have noticed ever since the Apex line came back out through Cally that their irons wear faster than usual.  They are still performers and that has not hindered me from buying them.