2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway TCB Irons

Golfballwackerguy17

5 hours ago, Brizam said:

There are not many irons in the same class as the TCB,  traditional lofts with minimal offset but still provide a little forgiveness.
TCB
Titleist T100
Taylormade p7MC

For me it came down between the TCB and the T100, and I went with the TCB, but could have easily gone with the T100.  

Its my ideal category of irons, I'm not ready to move into the stronger lofted players distance irons yet.  (mainly due to ego).  

I will say the TCB seem to be wearing faster than I expected, its mostly just cosmetic but I found it interesting.

This is my issue. I’m gaming the 21 t100 and absolutely love them. But I’m a high launch high spin player and when it’s windy my game can get bad because it’s hard for me the control my trajectory and spin. I did the club champion Father’s Day special and got a full bag fitting (mainly to refit my driver shaft and wedges) and i told them the irons are untouchable because i smash them (which i do). Guy was honest and said “there’s only maybe 1 club that i can get to beat it). He gave me the zx7 and it was crazy. 6 iron 220 with 140 ball speed. Swing speed with 6 iron was 98-100mph. So, i ordered them but man I’m not sure I’m gonna take them. They’re a little juicy but it did bring my launch and spin down (5000rpm). Which i almost think is to low but they said it was optimal. I’m kinda torn honestly. Cause i love the look of the irons such as TCB and T100. And hit them extremely well. But maybe it’s my ego telling me not to use the juicy irons. Idk. I’m def torn. 

18 hours ago, DatDude7984 said:

This is my issue. I’m gaming the 21 t100 and absolutely love them. But I’m a high launch high spin player and when it’s windy my game can get bad because it’s hard for me the control my trajectory and spin. I did the club champion Father’s Day special and got a full bag fitting (mainly to refit my driver shaft and wedges) and i told them the irons are untouchable because i smash them (which i do). Guy was honest and said “there’s only maybe 1 club that i can get to beat it). He gave me the zx7 and it was crazy. 6 iron 220 with 140 ball speed. Swing speed with 6 iron was 98-100mph. So, i ordered them but man I’m not sure I’m gonna take them. They’re a little juicy but it did bring my launch and spin down (5000rpm). Which i almost think is to low but they said it was optimal. I’m kinda torn honestly. Cause i love the look of the irons such as TCB and T100. And hit them extremely well. But maybe it’s my ego telling me not to use the juicy irons. Idk. I’m def torn. 

I played the Srixy 745s for 2yrs theyre great irons I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.  I don't classify them in the players distance irons, they're like the gap between the players CB and the players distance irons, Srixon Zx7, mizzy 223, t100s.  

I'll likely play the rest of this season out with my TCBs and then make a bunch of impulse buys during the winter/spring.

I did reshaft my TCB into X100 from PX LS.  I really liked the PX LS but is seemed to be giving me some elbow issues like the C-Taper had done in the past.  I do find that I have an easier time hittting 3/4 swing flighted shots with the X100 so that has been nice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see the long overdue love for the tcbs by Txg. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8 Graphite Design VF 6x

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 plus TR Blue 8x 

7 wood: Titleist TSR2 Ventus TR Blue 9x

Irons: Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Project X 6.5
Wedges: Titleist SM9 50.08, 54.12, 60.10 - Project x 6.0

Putter: Lab Mezz Max TPT 44.5 79.5 Broomstick

Titleist Pro V1x-

Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Standard

Crazy how tight the standard deviation was on TCB. That is what I see on course as well having played zx7 is the TCB for my swing give me more pin high distances. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Callaway has botched the TCB release since day 1. Their iron lineup is oversaturated and confusing from a branding perspective. They've made the TCB a limited release while the most obvious competitor (t100) has been a huge hit.

• Like 1

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

Callaway has botched the TCB release since day 1. Their iron lineup is oversaturated and confusing from a branding perspective. They've made the TCB a limited release while the most obvious competitor (t100) has been a huge hit.

I get what you’re saying but i disagree. The TCB is a phenomenal iron but in comparison majority of players don’t fit into those irons. And to call what they’ve done with the TCB a limited release isn’t really accurate. They’ve been pretty easily obtainable through fitters and occasionally have been out of stock on the Callaway website. But for the most part can be purchased. I think it’s safe to say appx 2-5% of the average golfer fit into the tcb so why unload this like the other irons that vast majority of the general weekend hacker can’t even hit? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BCC1898 said:

Will TCB go forward into future years or is it one and done?

Hopefully in a few years there is a new version. With Xander and Rahm playing it I’d say they want to capitalize and bring a new version even if it is largely the same with a cosmetic change. 

Pro V1X Left Dash

2 hours ago, DatDude7984 said:

I get what you’re saying but i disagree. The TCB is a phenomenal iron but in comparison majority of players don’t fit into those irons. And to call what they’ve done with the TCB a limited release isn’t really accurate. They’ve been pretty easily obtainable through fitters and occasionally have been out of stock on the Callaway website. But for the most part can be purchased. I think it’s safe to say appx 2-5% of the average golfer fit into the tcb so why unload this like the other irons that vast majority of the general weekend hacker can’t even hit? 

All of this makes sense - 100% agree. What doesn't make sense is the release of the X-forged CB and the Apex Pro. The consumer can't look at their product lineup and easily understand which iron does what. Compare their lineup to Titleist. The 620 series is obviously the more traditional series of irons, and leans much more towards the player's side. The t-series gets incrementally more forgiving as the numbers increase. The T100 is also readily available OTR and is arguably the Apex TCB (edit) competitor which is custom only. Another example that makes more sense is Mizuno - MP line is traditional JPX is more modern. There is overlap between the lineups of each manufacturer, but there is also a clear delineation and brand identity. Marketing wise, it's unclear what Callaway is trying to accomplish. Not saying their is actually anything wrong with their clubs, it just doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

Edited by rsballer10
TCB no MB
  • Like 2

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

3 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

All of this makes sense - 100% agree. What doesn't make sense is the release of the X-forged CB and the Apex Pro. The consumer can't look at their product lineup and easily understand which iron does what. Compare their lineup to Titleist. The 620 series is obviously the more traditional series of irons, and leans much more towards the player's side. The t-series gets incrementally more forgiving as the numbers increase. The T100 is also readily available OTR and is arguably the Apex MB competitor which is custom only. Another example that makes more sense is Mizuno - MP line is traditional JPX is more modern. There is overlap between the lineups of each manufacturer, but there is also a clear delineation and brand identity. Marketing wise, it's unclear what Callaway is trying to accomplish. Not saying their is actually anything wrong with their clubs, it just doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

This all points to how important fitting really is and having some help to navigate the choices on offer.

Yes, more options can be confusing. I was on a conference call in late 2020 when seeing these products for the first time and I asked for clarification of what was going on with what seemed to be excessive redundancy. Drilling down into it, there is more speed help in the Apex Pro than there is in the XFCB. The question is whether a player wants/benefits from that extra help or not. Our LPGA staffers tend to prefer the Apex Pro while our PGA staffers prefer the XFCB for its greater "you get exactly what you put in" consistency.

Seeing them on paper, there also seems to be excessive redundancy between XFCB and the TCB. Then you see them in person side by side and the reason for both existing quickly becomes obvious.

Apex MB and T100 are quite different. Better comparison would be Apex MB and 620 MB, as well as T100 vs TCB or XFCB (again, depending on player preferences).

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

28 minutes ago, BCC1898 said:

So not thinking it'll be refreshed every 2 years?

I have no insight into the refresh. I just imagine callaway will want to capitalize on their popular players playing this iron. I love my TCB and wouldn’t mind new shiny clubs in a few years. 

Pro V1X Left Dash

I could see them being the i210 of Callaway staffers. So many staff guys have these in their bag that the next refresh could be on a 3-4 year cycle. 

That being sad... I've had mine for 3 months, LOVE them but I always could use new shiny TCB 2.0s irons 🙂

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8 Graphite Design VF 6x

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 plus TR Blue 8x 

7 wood: Titleist TSR2 Ventus TR Blue 9x

Irons: Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Project X 6.5
Wedges: Titleist SM9 50.08, 54.12, 60.10 - Project x 6.0

Putter: Lab Mezz Max TPT 44.5 79.5 Broomstick

Titleist Pro V1x-

Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Standard

1 hour ago, BCC1898 said:

Will TCB go forward into future years or is it one and done?

Callaway has always had a 'TCB' from the last few release cycles it just came with different names for whatever tour-only-issue players MB/CB hybrid was that cycle.

There's the Apex Pro 19 double-dots, the old Legacy Blacks, and now the TCB. Something will eventually replace them.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

1 hour ago, bcflyguy1 said:

This all points to how important fitting really is and having some help to navigate the choices on offer.

Yes, more options can be confusing. I was on a conference call in late 2020 when seeing these products for the first time and I asked for clarification of what was going on with what seemed to be excessive redundancy. Drilling down into it, there is more speed help in the Apex Pro than there is in the XFCB. The question is whether a player wants/benefits from that extra help or not. Our LPGA staffers tend to prefer the Apex Pro while our PGA staffers prefer the XFCB for its greater "you get exactly what you put in" consistency.

Seeing them on paper, there also seems to be excessive redundancy between XFCB and the TCB. Then you see them in person side by side and the reason for both existing quickly becomes obvious.

Apex MB and T100 are quite different. Better comparison would be Apex MB and 620 MB, as well as T100 vs TCB or XFCB (again, depending on player preferences).

Typo with the Apex MB vs T100. Meant TCB

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

1 hour ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

How difficult is the TCB to hit?

Not as demanding as a true MB, but it’s not overly gracious either. 

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

8 hours ago, nino44 said:

Has anyone compared these to the Apex MB? I am considering going to something a touch more forgiving and am interested in how they compare in launch/spin/setup. 

I currently game an apex tcb/apex mb combo. The “forgiveness” difference isnt much, slight at best.

• Like 1

Have a set for sale if anyone's interested..

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS - Ventus TR Blue 6x (44 3/4)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 - Ventus TR Blue 7x

3 Utility: Srixon MKII - Graphite Design DI 95x

Irons: Cobra Tour 4-PW LA Golf L Series 120x

Wedges: Cobra SB 50, 54, 58 LA Golf L Series Wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini

Balls: TP5X

1 hour ago, TheMoneyShot said:

List them on the BST, they will probably go quick.  

Sorry, BST?

WITB

31 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Buy, Sell Trade here on the Wrx. 

Sorry, got a link to that part of the site? Still kinda newish here.

WITB

On 7/21/2022 at 6:17 PM, Red4282 said:

I currently game an apex tcb/apex mb combo. The “forgiveness” difference isnt much, slight at best.

I actually get more speed and a stronger flight out of the MB. I don't find any difference other than the MB are much easier to hit well for me. Wasn't wowed by TCB. Really, really consistent though. Obscenely tight spin deviation. Like ridiculous. The MB are a much better club for my swing though. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I actually get more speed and a stronger flight out of the MB. I don't find any difference other than the MB are much easier to hit well for me. Wasn't wowed by TCB. Really, really consistent though. Obscenely tight spin deviation. Like ridiculous. The MB are a much better club for my swing though. 

I had the TCB and have a Apex MB I use for practice all the time and I have the same experience as you. Both the Apex MB and the TCBs had MMT 105TX shafts, since I had some Project X related hand issues and didn't want to stop playing. The thinner sole on the Apex MB works better for me than the TCB and I found the TCB to MUCH less forgiving on a grove or two low strikes.  TCB would be for for people with a high on the face miss or play in softer conditions than I do.  My current T100 gamers have soles much closer to the Apex MBs.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
Titleist T150 4 Iron Fujikura Axiom 105

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

On 7/25/2022 at 11:47 AM, TigerInTheWoods said:

the MB’s don’t get the love they deserve either 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour