GEM Training Aid

zacgolf

11 hours ago, MarkGMB said:

Badshaft, Swisstrader98 & anyone else who got their GEM,

Just wondering, if you are in the USA, how long from order to receiving the GEM?

Mark 

Mine came surprisingly quickly…about a week and a half to 2 wks (I was on vacation so unsure of exact date it arrived). 

One tip for those who own or have built the GEM: I find doing one-handed drills to be very helpful. Reason being, there is much less manipulation of the club and more “feels” of swing path and clubhead positions. 

I do abt 10 air swings left handed, then 10 swings right handed, then both hands together for 10 swings. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I also purchased the GEM and received it yesterday. I'm a new golfer and my swing is horrible. I've been taking practice swings at home with my 8i and the GEM attached. How do I know if i'm using it correctly? It feels wobbly through the impact area, is that what its supposed to feel like? No matter how i swing it, it feels like the club gets wobbly and i can't smooth it out, unless that's how its supposed to feel with the long rod attachment on? 

Is the goal to not feel any wobble at all and to just have it feel like a smooth swing all the way through? 

If anyone has access to a launch monitor and can post before and after path and face to path info then please do.

If anyone wants to see that, send me your gem for a week and I'll capture the data.

I really hoped the dude from be better golf would post actual data. That's the ONLY thing that matters...data, not anecdotal "oh, this seems better".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

If anyone has access to a launch monitor and can post before and after path and face to path info then please do.

If anyone wants to see that, send me your gem for a week and I'll capture the data.

I really hoped the dude from be better golf would post actual data. That's the ONLY thing that matters...data, not anecdotal "oh, this seems better".

6 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Unsure if you saw it, but the guy from Be Better Golf has a second vid where he gets on a launch monitor and captures a lot of data:

5 hours ago, n4h said:

Hi everyone,

I also purchased the GEM and received it yesterday. I'm a new golfer and my swing is horrible. I've been taking practice swings at home with my 8i and the GEM attached. How do I know if i'm using it correctly? It feels wobbly through the impact area, is that what its supposed to feel like? No matter how i swing it, it feels like the club gets wobbly and i can't smooth it out, unless that's how its supposed to feel with the long rod attachment on? 

Is the goal to not feel any wobble at all and to just have it feel like a smooth swing all the way through? 

Yes, not supposed to wobble. Try just doing one handed swings from waist to waist. First left hand, then right hand, then both hands. And ZERO manipulation of the club and keep your hand pressure as light as possible. Let the GEM guide your hands. 

Edited by Swisstrader98
  • Thanks 1

I've practiced with it for about an hour total, split between 3 sessions. So far its been a mixed bag. Some of the strikes after the GEM protocol were incredible, but some have also been really bad. I've noticed that it does burn out your forearm muscles after awhile, and that may be affecting the ball striking. It definitely puts you on plane though, I'll keep at it and will keep posting/following the thread as I keep using it.

• Like 1

I'm also a pretty new golfer in retrospect and noticed the gem has helped with my blocks/slices.

I've had a lesson tonight and was at the range today and luckily have a net and SIM at home.

Before the gem most of my shots were slices or blocks.

Now it's most straight or a hook .

I maybe hit two blocks out of 100 balls today which is alien to me!

It's definitely helped me square/shut the clubface.

I do notice though if I leave the gem attached and try and hit the ball I normally shank or block the hell out of the ball 🤣

Anyone else tried to hit the ball with the gem on 

5 minutes ago, sutty86 said:

I'm also a pretty new golfer in retrospect and noticed the gem has helped with my blocks/slices.

I've had a lesson tonight and was at the range today and luckily have a net and SIM at home.

Before the gem most of my shots were slices or blocks.

Now it's most straight or a hook .

I maybe hit two blocks out of 100 balls today which is alien to me!

It's definitely helped me square/shut the clubface.

I do notice though if I leave the gem attached and try and hit the ball I normally shank or block the hell out of the ball 🤣

Anyone else tried to hit the ball with the gem on 

Not supposed to hit balls with the device on!!

• Like 1

Okok, i just lit a doobie (to relax my muscles :)) and tried this thing again, here are my feels and thoughts, can someone please tell me if this sounds correct:

Through the impact arc area (6 inches give or take on either side of the golf ball) the GEM feels like it automatically flips my wrists/hands so that the club continues to travel around the arc. This flip is a forcible feeling and thus i feel a slight "wobble" because its literally flipping the club face like a snap type of feeling. 

When i take a normal club and do the exact same motion via muscle memory, that flipping/wobble/snapping feeling doesnt exist, its just super smooth through the impact area. 

Is this the correct feeling and what the GEM is supposed to do? It feels like my swing is smoother and just floating through air, but i dont have access to an indoor range until the weekend to test it out by hitting actual balls. 😞

2 hours ago, n4h said:

Okok, i just lit a doobie (to relax my muscles :)) and tried this thing again, here are my feels and thoughts, can someone please tell me if this sounds correct:

Through the impact arc area (6 inches give or take on either side of the golf ball) the GEM feels like it automatically flips my wrists/hands so that the club continues to travel around the arc. This flip is a forcible feeling and thus i feel a slight "wobble" because its literally flipping the club face like a snap type of feeling. 

When i take a normal club and do the exact same motion via muscle memory, that flipping/wobble/snapping feeling doesnt exist, its just super smooth through the impact area. 

Is this the correct feeling and what the GEM is supposed to do? It feels like my swing is smoother and just floating through air, but i dont have access to an indoor range until the weekend to test it out by hitting actual balls. 😞

Yes - My hands and forearms are passive with the GEM on when I swing the club- so the GEM guides your hands through the impact zone with the counter balance weighting moving the club face synced with body in the correct manner - 

When I take a normal swing "WITHOUT" the GEM - I mimic that action with light grip and passive forearms focusing on getting through the impact zone in the same manner. Still a work in progress but I saw some benefits with a small sampling of working with it-

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, Swisstrader98 said:

Yes, not supposed to wobble. Try just doing one handed swings from waist to waist. First left hand, then right hand, then both hands. And ZERO manipulation of the club and keep your hand pressure as light as possible. Let the GEM guide your hands. 

Are you sure?  I thought the wobble /snapping feeling was the point.  Ingraining a better wrist release.   Or maybe I have it wrong.  If I swing it to try and avoid the wobble it seems like I'm guiding club through and not releasing

3 hours ago, larssonlegend said:

Are you sure?  I thought the wobble /snapping feeling was the point.  Ingraining a better wrist release.   Or maybe I have it wrong.  If I swing it to try and avoid the wobble it seems like I'm guiding club through and not releasing

this has been my experience as well. I can only get it to not wobble/flip over if i swing slowly, if i let the club naturally release the GEM's counter wait moves the club and you can feel it, its subtle "wobble". Hopefully this is the correct feeling and what the GEM is supposed to educate us in feeling. 

1 hour ago, n4h said:

this has been my experience as well. I can only get it to not wobble/flip over if i swing slowly, if i let the club naturally release the GEM's counter wait moves the club and you can feel it, its subtle "wobble". Hopefully this is the correct feeling and what the GEM is supposed to educate us in feeling. 

Depends on what you guys mean by “wobble”. 

Yes, just at impact or immediately after impact when the steel ball turns over there is a motion that the device makes that some may describe as a wobble. 

14 minutes ago, zacgolf said:

Another good video

Yes. At 2:58 he says “should be able to swing without any wobbles at all” and then goes on to say “and now, you won’t feel it wobbling as much due to muscle memory”. 

P.s. I believe all these vids have been posted previously 😊 

I received mine and I've been experimenting indoors and have some thoughts on the "wobble" which I also experienced.

My test swings go from P2 (shaft parallel) to P8 (shaft parallel), using the long rod on a gap wedge.

First, make sure that the rod is exactly on the same plane as the leading edge of the club.

Second, I notice sometimes a tendency on the backswing to go overboard on the toe-up (excessive opening). I think that makes sense if you look at the force the ball exerts on the shaft. As you start back, the ball wants to "go down" and as a result twist the shaft a little bit more open than you think at first. If you do go "too toe up" at P2, then, on the downswing through to impact, the system overcorrects a bit and can cause a wobble. Experiment a little bit with an earlier or later opening move with your wrists to get to that correct toe-up position at P2.

Third, lateral movement of the hands can cause a wobble for sure. Instead of moving your hands laterally back and forth along the target line (or along an arc, really), try feeling more wristy and with less forearm movement in space. I've been thinking of it as "clubhead goes along wide arc H, and GEM ball goes along small arc G", and there is very little movement near the butt of the club. That reduces the wobble.

Fourth, try experimenting with either a more flat or more vertical plane within the limited range of P2 - P8 and see show that feels w/r/t wobble.

I'm no physicist, but It's my guess that the wobble indicates a poor path relative to what the system (club and GEM) is set up for.

I'm a little concerned that the physics of the system are very sensitive to the position of the GEM and that the guidance to clamp the GEM 1/2 inch above the bottom of the grip may work great for one iron, but be off by a bit for a much shorter or longer iron. Maybe golf clubs are designed in such a way that this fear is unfounded, and that Fraser Mann has found the right relationship of weight and length to work on all clubs.

Overall, I like it so far just for the feedback on the wobble and it seems to be teaching me to do what FEELS to me like a much later (for me) Jim Hardy's RIT (Right Inward Throw) release. I tend to cast early and generate power only with my arms.

Interested to hear others' experiences and thoughts on the wobble.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Anthony Stevens said:

I received mine and I've been experimenting indoors and have some thoughts on the "wobble" which I also experienced.

My test swings go from P2 (shaft parallel) to P8 (shaft parallel), using the long rod on a gap wedge.

First, make sure that the rod is exactly on the same plane as the leading edge of the club.

Second, I notice sometimes a tendency on the backswing to go overboard on the toe-up (excessive opening). I think that makes sense if you look at the force the ball exerts on the shaft. As you start back, the ball wants to "go down" and as a result twist the shaft a little bit more open than you think at first. If you do go "too toe up" at P2, then, on the downswing through to impact, the system overcorrects a bit and can cause a wobble. Experiment a little bit with an earlier or later opening move with your wrists to get to that correct toe-up position at P2.

Third, lateral movement of the hands can cause a wobble for sure. Instead of moving your hands laterally back and forth along the target line (or along an arc, really), try feeling more wristy and with less forearm movement in space. I've been thinking of it as "clubhead goes along wide arc H, and GEM ball goes along small arc G", and there is very little movement near the butt of the club. That reduces the wobble.

Fourth, try experimenting with either a more flat or more vertical plane within the limited range of P2 - P8 and see show that feels w/r/t wobble.

I'm no physicist, but It's my guess that the wobble indicates a poor path relative to what the system (club and GEM) is set up for.

I'm a little concerned that the physics of the system are very sensitive to the position of the GEM and that the guidance to clamp the GEM 1/2 inch above the bottom of the grip may work great for one iron, but be off by a bit for a much shorter or longer iron. Maybe golf clubs are designed in such a way that this fear is unfounded, and that Fraser Mann has found the right relationship of weight and length to work on all clubs.

Overall, I like it so far just for the feedback on the wobble and it seems to be teaching me to do what FEELS to me like a much later (for me) Jim Hardy's RIT (Right Inward Throw) release. I tend to cast early and generate power only with my arms.

Many thanks for this, very helpful 👍👍

1 hour ago, Anthony Stevens said:

All good thoughts above. 

I think some may fall into the “make sure that the rod is exactly on the same plane as the leading edge of the club” category, because I sure did. When I first got the GEM and even after reading the (very limited instructions), I had thought the ball/rod were to sit on the SIDE of the club, until I had a “Duh! moment” and realized I installed it incorrectly. Have to say, instructions that come with the GEM are absolutely not reflective of a $140 piece of gear and only way I made the connection was some of the YT vids.

I think the main thing is that there’s a danger of over engineering the GEM, meaning I think its possible to over think the swing with the GEM on. If you simply close your eyes and then let your swing happen with zero manipulation of hands or forearms, there is zero wobble.   

One sidebar: anyone else occasionally hit themselves in the knees with the ball when swinging? 😂 

Edited by Swisstrader98