2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

GEM Training Aid

zacgolf

1 hour ago, iceman1118 said:

Follow up which I think might make a little more sense. At waist high in the backswing, left wrist faces the target line and right wrist faces directly behind you.  At waist high in the follow through, right wrist face the target line and left wrist directly behind you. Really turn the toe of the club over. Body reacts on backswing and forward swing. This is my feel. 

Look at the stills of Steve Johnston  that I previously provided . Notice that the club head is considerably behind the hands at first parallel . Few top players are at similar positions . Next look at Mr Johnston’s position with his lead arm  before 9:00. He has horizontally adducted  his left arm to an extreme degree ( left arm 

moving across the chest) . This results in his hands over  his right foot. AMG has cautioned against this position in the below article 

Next look at Steve Johnston’s position at impact ( not included ) . The rotation of the forearms has not resulted in an open torso position at impact. 
Mr Johnston is a professional instructor. It is unlikely  that an amateur golfers impact position using the GEM will be as good as his flawed impact position at impact . 

A1753794-4FBD-40D9-B47B-6F434DD72466.jpeg

7 hours ago, getitdaily said:

And that's why I want to see path and ftp data. I want to see the guy who plays a draw and what happens. I want to see the chronic slicer...and see what happens...to path and ftp. I'm a bit skeptical of the aid right now. Data doesn't lie. And there's a reason no one is showing that data...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b3e1IuzmyA

In this link Be Better Golf he has some data about 3 Quarters into it- No posted charts or anything he just walks you through...I was impressed because I have watched him for quite some time and his swing looked the best I have seen with any other Instructor or aid

***Edit His data comparison starts at the 8:45 mark***

Edited by Badshaft
  • Like 1

Messed with the GEM a bit more. I am definitely on to something. However, I believe by keeping the right arm wide it sets everything up to work perfectly. Something I always had a hard time with was the right forearm takeaway ( never liked the one piece takeaway just fyi ) but trying to execute a right forearm takeaway makes this so much more consistent. 

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

Right arm extensor action. That’s basically what I am feeling here. 

• Like 2

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, Swisstrader98 said:

I like this and this is one of the reasons I like doing GEM drills with right hand only and then left as Ive said in earlier posts. 

Yes agreed. I have noticed by focusing on the right arm, even at a full swing, I get zero wobble, shorter backswing, and it’s feeling effortless. I tend to have a problem with lunging a bit at the ball, I can sense on my dry swings that is not happening at all. 

Edit:

As I said earlier I feel the butt of the club rotating at the zipper of my pants. If I do right arm only swings slowly with no wobble, the club releases itself and the butt of the club is turning over at the center of my body. Not holding any angles nor am I trying to actively rotate the handle of the club. 

Edited by iceman1118
  • Like 1

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

24 minutes ago, Hit-em said:

I ordered the gem last month, it's going on a month since I ordered, I haven't heard a word about shipping ??

I've sent a couple emails asking about when I can expect it to ship & have gotten zero response

Anyone else having a problem getting a response from them & getting it in a timely manner ?

Thanks

Where are you based?

I’m in the US and only took 1 1/2 to 2 wks to get to me via Royal Mail. 

2 hours ago, Hit-em said:

I ordered the gem last month, it's going on a month since I ordered, I haven't heard a word about shipping ??

I've sent a couple emails asking about when I can expect it to ship & have gotten zero response

Anyone else having a problem getting a response from them & getting it in a timely manner ?

Thanks

I'm in the US and got mine right at 2 weeks - They sent an email about 5 days after the order that they were processing, then another when they sent it out.

45 minutes ago, zacgolf said:

Another video, ref wobble 

At around 3:50 mark the student talks about how wobble came back after the GEM went back on after hitting balls. Instructor told him he was going back too fast. Clearly a tempo thing at work here. The tour tempo 3:1 ratio most likely in play, plus I get the sense you have to accelerate through the ball, not hit at the ball. Which I think we all should be striving for anyway. 

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

After more time with the GEM and reading this thread, I feel like everyone will key on or feel different corrections based on each person's faults. It seems the GEM really just puts you on plane and getting back on plane will feel different for people based on their swing fault. 

I've been training with it for about 8 hours, and it is a complete game changer, I was hitting dead straight shots to 5 yard fades all day today, to anyone on the fence reading this thread I would go for it, I'm super stoked to work with it through the winter

Just made the homemade version. Just a got a few minutes with it before got called away. 

Kinda just as I thought it would…for me the wobble was the result the face being open to the plane which is why it helps slicers. I was able to get in a few swings with just my right hand and there was no wobble. 

Looking Brendon latest video, there’s no way he isn’t pulling everything with his practice swings. Paul G in the comments states that you need a lot of right side bend in the follow thru and I say that’s spot on if you want to hit anything but pulls. 

This thing seems to be right up Milo lines  alley. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 10:21 AM, Hit-em said:

Thanks

Did you reach out to them at https://gemgolf.com/contact/?  I did just yesterday and they replied straight away?  I also follow them on instagram and they replied to a message i sent them there as well - https://www.instagram.com/gem.golf/

On 11/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, Paddy M said:

Hi I ordered and paid 114£ with discount on 31st October. Have still not received the gem tried to contact them put through to a call centre who say all they can do is send them an email. Still have had no reply after 5days of calls. 

Did you reach out to them at https://gemgolf.com/contact/?  I did just yesterday and they replied straight away?  I also follow them on instagram and they replied to a message i sent them there as well - https://www.instagram.com/gem.golf/

On 11/23/2022 at 6:02 PM, airjammer said:

This thing seems to be right up Milo lines  alley. 

I would love to hear his thoughts on it. He’s not a fan of toe straight up and down on the takeaway. That seems to be what this tool attempts to do. Milo advocates the leading edge of the club to roughly match the spine angle when club is parallel. So, on the surface he and the GEM seem to contradict.

On the other hand, I think it’s possible at speed with the GEM attached the leading edge isn’t quite toe up at parallel. The whole system has to stay in balance as it moves through space and that balance may be slightly toe down. That would be congruent with Milo. 

Either way this thing has me intrigued. Despite being a pretty good player I get the hands and club sucked behind me a little in the take away and have excessive toe roll in the follow through. Worth burning $20 - $30 on one of the diy setups to see what effects this has. 

1 hour ago, GolfCsty said:

I would love to hear his thoughts on it. He’s not a fan of toe straight up and down on the takeaway. That seems to be what this tool attempts to do. Milo advocates the leading edge of the club to roughly match the spine angle when club is parallel. So, on the surface he and the GEM seem to contradict.

On the other hand, I think it’s possible at speed with the GEM attached the leading edge isn’t quite toe up at parallel. The whole system has to stay in balance as it moves through space and that balance may be slightly toe down. That would be congruent with Milo. 

Either way this thing has me intrigued. Despite being a pretty good player I get the hands and club sucked behind me a little in the take away and have excessive toe roll in the follow through. Worth burning $20 - $30 on one of the diy setups to see what effects this has. 

You are correct that it doesn’t fit all of his model. I was referring to a bunch of right side bend at impact. 

Me personally I’ve never bought into the club face matching the spine. Not that it is wrong but it just seems to fit in the category of modern instruction trying to eliminate as much as club face rotation as possible.  Sasho hasn’t found that to be statistically beneficial.  Doesn’t seem like any of the greatest ball strikers in the past did that and maybe equipment played a part in that. I’m still amazed how the old timers were able to control the ball with “worse” clubs and out of round balls. Just kind of seems like they use the slamming of the club head shut on the downswing to their advantage instead of trying to take it out of the equation. 

• Like 1

The face matching the spine and toe up are snapshots within a dynamic motion.

The clubface looks at the ball in the takeaway, when the right arm folds the face opens going through toe up and until it lays flat on the inclined plane.

Woods

Couples

13 hours ago, Liveonce said:

Anyone interested in making one of these for me? I can only make toast, and even then sometimes burn it. Dm if so

I followed the HD method from earlier in the thread and it literally took about 2 minutes to assemble.  Just purchase the items from the receipt and make it look like the picture.

Does anyone know the amount of weight on the real GEM for reference in doing a DIY?

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 12:01 PM, iceman1118 said:

Follow up which I think might make a little more sense. At waist high in the backswing, left wrist faces the target line and right wrist faces directly behind you.  At waist high in the follow through, right wrist face the target line and left wrist directly behind you. Really turn the toe of the club over. Body reacts on backswing and forward swing. This is my feel. 

I think everyone should take a look at the pictures WRX took of Tiger hitting balls off the mat at the Hero. It's in the Tour and Pre-release Equipment section. He seems to be doing what I said earlier. Toe up in the backswing. Toe up in the follow through. Left wrist faces target line at shaft parallel in backswing, right wrist faces target line in follow through with shaft parallel. Holding no angles at all. Full release. That is what I feel when I use the GEM.

• Like 1

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

Anyone who purchased the real training aid care to measure the lengths of the different rods as well as the weights?

Thanks!

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another