Harbour Pointe in late May on a visit or?

myspinonit

My wife and I are coming down from Vancouver Canada in three weeks for our first trip to the US since Covid.

We're staying in Mukilteo, doing some revisits to places we like on Whidbey, shopping, good eats and hopefully (just) one round of golf.

Looking for course suggestions for that round.

My wife isn't much of a golfer and has only played several  rounds  since Covid began and our travel stopped.  A pretty golf course is good for her, tough is not.  Drainage may of course also be a concern with the wet Spring so far on many courses.  We'll use a power cart so we realize "cart path only" could be an option.  

We have avoided playing Harbour Pointe in past trips  despite it's proximity due to reports of a somewhat wquirky and tough layout, especially the front nine.  (I find it interesting that the course uses the British/Canadian spelling for Harbour.)

We both like Avalon, but with border demands now, even with Nexus cards, planning to stop there either way might make planning  a tee time going down tough and make a long day if it was coming home.     We don't want to spend  an hour each way from Muliteo to Avalon during our stay either.  Similar issues with Lake Padden.

Too bad that I see Jorgensen's has closed or I'd phone them to ask and I always liked dropping into their shop and their service. 

Thanks.

Edited by myspinonit

if drive time is going to be prohibitive, Harbour Pointe unfortunately is about the only option easily accessible from Mukilteo that seems to fit your criteria. I'm not a huge fan of the course - I think it's overly penal and overly priced. I can't say for certain from the ladies tees, but from the whites / blues it's a course where you have to be driving the ball well to have any chance at enjoying yourself. The tee shot on 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 have to be well placed. 3 is a par three with a forced carry over water (may not be the case from the women's tees). You do get some views of the San Juans starting on 11 - I think the back is a lot better than the front. If playability is more important than the views:

Lynwood golf course - it's a small muni and depending on the time of day you play it, can be a slow round. But a lot more manageable for your wife.

Walter Hall - probably in between Lynwood and HP. It's also pretty short and doesn't have the views, but you have to work to lose a ball save for a couple water hazards and if I recall correctly there are no cart paths (so shouldn't be much of an issue being in a cart). They had a mix up with some of the chemicals they sprayed on their greens last year and killed every green on the course, but new greens just opened. Can't vouch for them myself but have heard good things.

None of these courses drain particularly well, so depending on weather, you might be facing an uphill battle.

I know you said an hour drive isn't anything you're interested in, but options do start opening up if you go out a bit. If you had any interest in making a trek to Snoqualmie Ridge, shoot me a dm.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Many thanks for the detailed message.  Definitely HP will be out for us then.

My own game is in tatters right now too -wet courses and unseasonably cool temps aren't helping- so I don't need a stressful round for myself either. 

We've looked up Lynnwood and Walter Hall and probably Walter Hall will get the nod if we can get a time that works (7 day booking for us).  

If the wet weather  carries on (Spring has got to come sometime, right?) and with your caveat about drainage, maybe we will have to just leave the clubs at home.

Edited by myspinonit

I always like Cedarcrest up in Marysville.  It's under 6,000 yards, but it's one of the more fun courses in the area.  Very possible to play the entire round without losing a ball, but there are still a lot of fun and difficult shots.

I'll second avoiding Harbour Pointe.  That front 9 is one of the worst set of golf holes I've ever played.  I wouldn't show up if it were free.  That area of Seattle is not the best for golf, but Cedarcrest and the other courses around Everett are acceptable.  

• Like 2

Agreed on Cedarcrest. Going south to north, Walter Hall, Legion, Cedarcrest are all in similar ballparks and all sounds like they'd be good options for what you're looking for. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Hit me up if you want to play at Mill Creek Country Club. its well maintained and condition of the course is generally good unless we get a downpour. Some of the course is narrow but not nearly as bad as it used to be, they cut down a lot of trees. 

Thank you so much but we'll stick to one of the recommended public ones where we can anonymously hack around. Heck, the way I'm hacking it right now after a layoff and injury I sometimes wish I could be anonymous in the  men's groups I play with!

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 2

I would play Legion Memorial over Walter Hall 9/10 times. Walter Hall, to me, is relatively flat and straightforward, open, easy. Legion has some moderate elevation change, some (admittedly underwhelming) views and for mine a better variety of holes. 

The condition is usually pretty similar but I prefer Legion. Pity Kayak Point went to the Frisbees...

• Like 1

Thank you.  kaschreiber mentioned Legion as well and checking it out Legion seems like  a good bet. Good teebox options too and my wife is pleased about that.  I'm now registered at  Premier golf's site so I'll get on the computer tomorrow night and try to get a time for the 25th at Legion or another of the recommended ones. Possibly one too on the way home.

I didn't know about Kayak and looked it up after seeing your post.  Just shared it with another friend who also was unaware and sorry to see it go.

May I share a true story about Kayak and me? Way back in 1979 or so {the secret is out that I'm  a senior, (lol)] I played it with a friend who has a place on Camano.

We were a twosome, and got paired up with strangers. 

The first tee was the flatter hole, not the straight downhill one (not sure when that changed?).  I hit my opening tee shot off the map. A couple of choice words escaped my lips, and they weren't "Happy Birthday".  Embarrassed, and trying to smooth things, I started a conversation with one of our playing partners as we proceeded from the tee. He had a set of new-looking Ping clubs, Ping bag  and even had a Ping cart I think.  I said "nice rig" or such. He  thanked me and said:  "I'm a Pastor  and Karsten's mother is in my congregation. I take her to and from church each week.  Karsten  gave these to me in appreciation. "   Gulp.

As I said, a true story and one that despite my spontaneous nature has reminded me over the years to temper that (and language)  when I meet up with new playing partners.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Mustu said:

I know I'm late to this, but I think you'd enjoy the Nile.  It's not too far from Mukilteo, they keep it in nice shape, not difficult and when I was there this week they had power carts driving around on the fairway.

Thanks for the idea and I've bookmarked it in my growing list of Washington courses to consider for another time. We are locked into Legion Memorial for the one round we have time for this this short visit.

Even that could get sabotaged if its rainy. Looks to be a touch warmer and just 25% chance of rain our scheduled play day this far out so fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 9:06 AM, kaschreiber said:

Have fun and safe travels! Let us know what you think. 

We played Legion Memorial today.  Typical NW Spring-ish weather, jacket or vest  off then on, then off again, but the sun stayed out the last bit.  

We liked the course. Greens seemed really true.  I was making.a ton  of putts, including a few long ones, or just missing for easy tap-ins. Thank goodness that I was. straight on nearly all my drives too as between tee and green was not good.

Thanks again to all for the course ideas.  Just back from a great meal at Ivars on the Mukilteo Landing.  Tomorrow we will head over to  Whidbey , the Star Store in Langley especially.  Then probably too many calories again for dinner and home on Friday. 

Cheers.

• Like 1