Pebble Beach Thoughts

I'm planning to go to the Monterery area the week before Christmas.  My family loves the area and this will be our 3rd or 4th time there in the last 10 years.  This will be a family vacation but my wife has given me the ok to book a couple rounds as kind of a late 40th birthday present.

I've already got Pasatiempo booked for the first part of the week as this was has always been on my "must play" list.  I would like to play Pebble as my other round.  I'm the only one who plays golf so this is where the dilemma comes in....

Option 1 - Go the airbnb route and take my chances on getting a round at Pebble by calling in the day before.  I would be booking as a single and have 2 different days available so feel decently confident I could get a spot.  Bonus is this route would be cheaper but also no guarantee that I will get a round at Pebble

Option 2 - Book a stay at Pebble Beach Resort.  This would guarantee me a round on Pebble but is going to be more expensive.  I also don't know how much there is to do at the resort for my wife and our 10 year old son.

What's golfwrx opion?

As you said, staying there is the only "guaranteed" way to book a tee time in advance. My point of view is that if you're going to spend $1,000 to play it you might as well spend another $1,000 to stay the night 🤣.

With you being a single looking to play it in mid-late December I'd say there's a pretty good chance you could snag a spot the day before. The main thing I'd be worried about with that is if you can't get a morning time there is a possibility you won't finish before dark. PB rounds are notoriously slow. 

So I guess the question you have to ask yourself is... Is a round at Pebble Beach worth $2,000 to you? If so, go ahead and book a room and a tee time. If not, take your chances on calling the day before.

• Like 1

ABnh159 nailed it.  But also...have you checked with PB to see if any times are available?  Winter is quite popular.  They may not have room for you anyway... and then there's your answer.  

Staying at the resort is no huge thrill btw.  Oh it is nice but at least for me... I expect more for $1000 per night.  And you are right on there very little to do there for the non-golfer.

1 hour ago, tim_harris said:

I'm planning to go to the Monterery area the week before Christmas.  My family loves the area and this will be our 3rd or 4th time there in the last 10 years.  This will be a family vacation but my wife has given me the ok to book a couple rounds as kind of a late 40th birthday present.

I've already got Pasatiempo booked for the first part of the week as this was has always been on my "must play" list.  I would like to play Pebble as my other round.  I'm the only one who plays golf so this is where the dilemma comes in....

Option 1 - Go the airbnb route and take my chances on getting a round at Pebble by calling in the day before.  I would be booking as a single and have 2 different days available so feel decently confident I could get a spot.  Bonus is this route would be cheaper but also no guarantee that I will get a round at Pebble

Option 2 - Book a stay at Pebble Beach Resort.  This would guarantee me a round on Pebble but is going to be more expensive.  I also don't know how much there is to do at the resort for my wife and our 10 year old son.

What's golfwrx opion?

Just to add on what's been said - there is plenty to do at the resort if you go that route.  It's your 40th - stay at the resort! Have HH or lunch at the restaurant on the patio overlooking the 18th.  

You deserve it! 🙂

• Like 1

I would stay at Pebble and Play Pebble and for my second round play Spyglass or Spanish or Monterey Peninsula CC as my second round........Pasatiempois certainly well known and acclaimed but ive played there quite a few times, and its a nice course but i never considered it special.  First 5-6 holes of Spy is Spectacular.....Pebble is Spectacular....I like Spanish but its pretty normal seaside course.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, tim_harris said:

What's golfwrx opion?

I was there in September and I asked starter at Pebble what was the chance of getting out the next day and he told me the only way to play pebble was to stay at the lodge or at the Inn at Spanish Bay.. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, all3ofus said:

I was there in September and I asked starter at Pebble what was the chance of getting out the next day and he told me the only way to play pebble was to stay at the lodge or at the Inn at Spanish Bay.. 

That's not accurate. You can call the day before to see if there are spots available. But depending on the time of year that is very much hit and miss.

For a guaranteed tee time you need to stay on site. Depending on time of year it is either a 2 or 3 night minimum stay.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

When I went with my dad last year we called up a 2 weeks before and managed to get times for Pebble and Spy without staying on the property. So it's possible but I think you need to just get the right guy on the phone.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

14 hours ago, all3ofus said:

Dead wrong!  In all my trips I am 100% getting on day before or day of.

6 hours ago, Yoshifan151 said:

When I went with my dad last year we called up a 2 weeks before and managed to get times for Pebble and Spy without staying on the property. So it's possible but I think you need to just get the right guy on the phone.

I also got on in a similar way. I actually called 5 or 6 weeks out. I was planning on proposing to my then girl friend around then and was thinking maybe at Pebble (she is a big golfer, I didn't do it there). Told the lady on the phone that and she put me on hold came back and said she was able to get me on the tee sheet. Tried a few days earlier with a guy and had no luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tim_harris said:

I decided to bite the bullet and just stay on site.  Requires a 2 night minimum to book pebble so will spend a few days in Santa Cruz with the family and play Pasatiempo on Monday.  Then head to the resort and play Pebble on Wednesday, Spyglass on Thursday, and then fly back home on Friday.

Nice rota, have a great trip with the Fam.

You will not regret the decision to play Pastiempo, nor the decision to stay on site. For something like a round at Pebble, I would much rather have the peace of mind knowing my tee time is locked in. I would not want to be be coming down 17 and 18 in the dark. 

And Pasa is awesome. My wife and I added it to the rotation when we were there in September, and we both loved it. 

Edited by Roody
wrote December, meant September.
  • Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

33 minutes ago, tim_harris said:

That is ultimately what made the decision for me.  If you are local it might make sense but for someone like me who this literally could be a once in a lifetime chance I couldn't imagine booking a tee time and not being guaranteed to finish.

When were there in September we had dinner one of the evenings at Stillwater Grill, which overlooks Pebble 18. There were at least 2-3 groups that came into 18 green in what I would classify as "too dark out" (and that's being conservative, personally I thought it was too dark for the last 4-5 groups, but that's all subjective). They have the lights around 18 green, but c'mon if I am paying $575, I want to finish one of the more iconic finishing holes in golf in at least some daylight. 

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I was there in March this year. Best golf experience of my life by a huge distance. We stayed 2 nights. I had one tee time at pebble pre booked then at the last minute decided to see if they had any availability for another round and was able to book it when I checked in for 2 days in advance. Normally if you want to play twice you need to stay 2 nights but I think I just got lucky. 

Honestly though it’s so good and you’ll love every second. I’m not a rich man by any means but it was worth every penny. The view standing back on the 6th tee is my favourite in golf. 

Heaven on earth 

• 3 months later...

Ive gone 3 times solo to where I was playing a tournament or something within 50-75 miles of Pebble. As a single, I just rolled up early 6:30ish and got on waitlist or to be added as a single and got out with the hour all three times.  Ive actually never heard of a single that tried to get out the day of and not.  Always no shows, injuries, sick, etc...

• 4 months later...

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Pebble with my father and wife.  Played Pebble twice, Spyglass, Spanish, and The Hay.  Had a very memorable experience, despite the rain. Big Tony @ PB was an excellent caddie and my 75-year old father was very happy with the guidance he provided on the course.  We stayed at the Inn in order to guarantee Pebble.  Pebble was very booked up.  That being said, on both days at Pebble, my father and I played with two singles.  At Spanish and Spy we played alone, which was nice. We walked Spy in 4 hours flat, in the rain. I would probably not do that again, as the rain and hills made for a tough walk. And the Rickshaws were a hassle.  Would've been better off schlepping our own sticks, given the conditions. We played 5 days in a row, counting The Hay. 

Edited by wolverine_man
  • Like 3

Rogue ST Max @ 10* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

HLX 3.0 54/12, 59/7 (Modus3 115 - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B #6 - Chrome Tour X